New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Youtube: blocking channels

Is there a way on Youtube to say "stop showing this channel to me", e.g., for a channel to stop showing up when I go to Youtube.com and it shows the recommendations and such based on previous viewing history?

If yes, do you have to be logged in to do so?

I don't mind if it shows up if doing a Search, but I just want to stop it from the recommendations. (It's also okay if this method prevents it from showing up in Search.)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-02-24 at 10:51 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Youtube: blocking channels

Right click the video, and choose don't recommend channel.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

If you're logged in and click on the three vertical dots to the lower right of a video you'll have the option of "Not interested" and "Don't recommend channel". If you're not logged in then there's nothing.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Sometimes the "don't recommend this to me" button just doesn't work, however.

If you're Firefox or Chrome, at least, you can get add-ons that will outright prevent the videos from that channel from loading on your browser, if you're comfortable with add-ons.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The youtube buttons are more like a snooze button, the channel will eventually come back to the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The youtube buttons are more like a snooze button, the channel will eventually come back to the top.
    The algorithm is hungry for attention. Feed it with your time, feed it with your soul
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Every time I click on 'Don't recommend channel' it works for sometimes and when I open YouTube again, again I get suggestion of same video. same with 'Not interested' option too. So it is not permanent solution. I don't know what is wrong with YouTube algorithms. May be algorithms are designed for that only.

If you are using YouTube on browser add extension to get rid of some channel. If you want not to install add-ons then log out from the YouTube and the YouTube will show new recommendations to you. Accessing the YouTube without logged in is better to get rid of channels we watch previously. Otherwise use private window to watch videos on YouTube (without login). Private window will also not save your history on browser.

If you are logged in then YouTube will keep recommending the same channels (base on your previous history) repeatedly no matters how many you tell YouTube don't recommend this channel. don't worry about search results. You tube search is base on different algorithm. Search results working is based on keyword not our watch history.

To get rid of some recommendation I keep erasing watch history and search history every time from settings. And sometimes I keep erase video and particular search from the history so that YouTube will not recommend me that channel again which I watch mistakenly. Hence keep erasing watch history and search history repeatedly like YouTube keep suggesting same video repeatedly. According to me It is best and permanent solution. If you want some video watch again then you can add those video in watch later or liked videos.