New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: DEATH BATTLE - Season 8: Settling the debate once and for all?

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remember Jotaro vs Kenshiro? In the aftermath of that they flat out admitted that there were plenty of ways that Jotaro could have instantly killed Kenshirou and vice versa but they ignored all of them for the sake of entertainment value.

...which, you know, basically is them admitting that their claims of these episodes being "definitive" is bullcrap.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No they said that both of them had numerous ways to one shot each other instantly and it turned into a question of who could deliver on that first.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Yeah, the 'these characters are willing to actively try to kill each other' never seems to extend to the degree of just murdering the other combatant with an overwhelming strike right out of the gate, everybody fights just fair enough to let the other guy go through all of their powerup phases.. that said it's quite in character for Saitama to not open with full force. Even non-spinached Popeye is still a cartoon character and almost certainly has shown feats of durability that are enough to say that he'd survive Saitama giving him the sort of testing strike that is used for Saitama to figure out if he needs to get any more serious. Which would take it into the 'huh he's strong, better spinach up' and 'Ok, let's break out the Serious Series' phases of the fight.
    Saitama usually hits humans with the exact level of strength needed to knock them out without seriously injuring him. He's surprisingly good at it. The monsters always just die in one punch (except for Boros). He doesn't really "test" his opponents, aside from when he lets them wail on him for a while before one-shotting them.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

IIRC, Popeye only got the "spinach makes me strong" schitck after being used in a health campaign for kids. Before that, he was just spinach-strong by default.
    Homebrew Stuff:

4. - Top - End - #964
    Banned

Popeye has lassoed the sun. Once, when he was erased by his creator, he willed himself back into existence and then broke the 4th wall to beat up the creator. Saitama doesn't even come close.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Colossus in the Playground

Popeye blurb up and yeah, its not looking good for one punch. Popeye has toonforce that lets him alter reality with his fist, giving the sun a black eye and such. Unless they go with the whole philosophy thing where they try to say, "Well, saitama is designed around always being too strong and able to defeat anything in one punch therefore blah blah blah" All they need to do is bs their way into quantifying one of popeyes absurd feats like moving constellations around and saying one punch has never done anything that powerful and thats the end. But at least the caped baldy will be happy he finally found someone he couldnt crush.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

They could also argue "Saitama's strength increases exponentially on a daily basis, so based on how long we think it's been since he fought Boros his Serious Punch should now be even stronger than the force required to move stars around." Probably not though.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

7. - Top - End - #967

Has Saitama ever actually been injured in a fight? Even so much as a split lip or black eye? Im just trying to figure out if they will give him the punched to the moon as his top durability feat even though its clearly not the limit of what he can take as it did nothing to harm him. But because its the strongest hit he has taken thats what they will go with while ignoring he has never been beaten up therefore we dont know his limits.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Has Saitama ever actually been injured in a fight? Even so much as a split lip or black eye? Im just trying to figure out if they will give him the punched to the moon as his top durability feat even though its clearly not the limit of what he can take as it did nothing to harm him. But because its the strongest hit he has taken thats what they will go with while ignoring he has never been beaten up therefore we dont know his limits.
    No. The closest is that he did get a mosquito bite.

Mind you, I think the taking a hit from the continent slicing Demon King is more impressive then being punched to the moon. And he took no damage from that.

Saitama has no physical limits seen, and his potential is described as infinite. Vs Popeye who we've seen be injured by very mundane things, but can bend reality via the Toon Force. Which honestly is more of a law of the universe Popeye lives in then a special ability of his.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, hear me out. What if Saitama eats Popeye's spinach? It's established to work on other people, right?

10. - Top - End - #970

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Okay, hear me out. What if Saitama eats Popeye's spinach? It's established to work on other people, right?
    At that point chuck norris and segata sanshiro reappear from the time space vortex they collapsed the multiverse into and join forces with popeye to restrain saitama in his final form.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    It works on Olive Oyl.

12. - Top - End - #972

Whether it works for everyone, only some people, or just popeye tends to vary from short to short, strip to strip, and continuity to continuity—sometimes even in the same storyline.

In the live action Popeye movie starring Robin Williams, for example, it's a special power possessed by Popeye's family and he only really eats spinach becuase of this power, noting at least once that he actually doesn't like the taste.

And of course, other examples, especially early on, depict Popeye as possessing superhuman strength all the time with the spinach being more of a pick-me-up, or crediting regular consumption of spinach as being what allowed him to grow so strong.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Banned

Keep in mind that a lot of Popeye's feats like giving the sun a black eye aren't even spinach induced.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    No. The closest is that he did get a mosquito bite.
    He got scratched up by a cat too.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Titan in the Playground

That's sort of the other thing about Popeye.

The spinach was not a thing in the early days; it was added later to encourage kids to eat more vegetables (and as an ad for their parents to buy more spinach).

15. - Top - End - #975
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    That's sort of the other thing about Popeye.

The spinach was not a thing in the early days; it was added later to encourage kids to eat more vegetables (and as an ad for their parents to buy more spinach).
    I can attest that it sorta worked. In the sense that I made my parents buy the popeyes brand spinach a few times and then absolutely did not eat it.

16. - Top - End - #976

Well, there we go.
    Spoiler: this time
    Show
    Popeye wins because cartoon logic trumps anything based on "real" physics. Its honestly a fairly fair judgement to take overall. Popeeye has greater feats up to and including just going no to the universe being shut off, and being disintegrated and eating spinach to heal anyways. Even though we have never seen any sign of saitama taking actual damage in combat,
    nor have we seen him fail to do something physical, or even struggle to accomplish it, it just doesnt match up to reality warping cartoon physics.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ogre in the Playground

And next year:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I spotted Scarlet Witch, Tetsuo, Vegeta, and Boba Fett
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: This time
    Show
    Yeah this was never really in doubt. Saitama is hilariously OP, and that's the point of him, but he never packed anything that could keep a Spinach powered Popeye down.

But they said the magic word for Popeye, too: "Infinite". Do I smell a Superman vs. Popeye fight coming? I'd still say Popeye, but that would be a crazy fight.

19. - Top - End - #979

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    Show
    Yeah this was never really in doubt. Saitama is hilariously OP, and that's the point of him, but he never packed anything that could keep a Spinach powered Popeye down.

But they said the magic word for Popeye, too: "Infinite". Do I smell a Superman vs. Popeye fight coming? I'd still say Popeye, but that would be a crazy fight.
    Too be fair it would be an interesting fight as im pretty sure that at some point in the superman mythos he too survived all of reality collapsing, and has even broken the 4th wall in some form or another. Plenty of his absurd feats match up well to popeye style toon magic.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Nothing unexpected really. Toonforce anti-logic trumps pretty much everything. Still the animation was a lot better than I expected. I loved how they punched each other into different art styles, and Saitama's 'component pieces' being a bunch of eggs made me laugh.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

21. - Top - End - #981

Spoiler: This Time
    Show
    Yeah, I can't find any errors in their logic, misrepresented feats, or bad math. This is basically as close as they get to a fair and impartial ruling.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-12-20 at 07:00 PM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Banned

It helps when the matchup is a complete mismatch like this. It's hard to mess up when one character's feats are millions of times better than the other's. It just shows how bad they normally are that the outcome was ever in doubt.

23. - Top - End - #983

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It helps when the matchup is a complete mismatch like this. It's hard to mess up when one character's feats are millions of times better than the other's. It just shows how bad they normally are that the outcome was ever in doubt.
    If I had to stretch for a criticism, I'd say that each fighter should have operated under their settings native physics instead of assuming that one's physics trumps the other... But in this particular case that wouldn't change who wins.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #984

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    If I had to stretch for a criticism, I'd say that each fighter should have operated under their settings native physics instead of assuming that one's physics trumps the other... But in this particular case that wouldn't change who wins.
    The best criticism I can come up with is we have never once seen saitama hurt, by anything. We have never seen him fail to defeat anything with minimal effort. Therefore we cant really say that popeye is strong enough to beat him because saitama has no known limit to exceed. That doesnt mean popeye should have lost, it just means we have nothing to establish a lose condition for saitama. Meanwhile an argument could be made that popeyes standard opponent is literally nothing but a dockyard tough. Bluto has no real superpowers other than being able to survive popeyes spinach infused punches. (Im sure there are episodes that prove me wrong on this, im just going off what I remember) But thats just pulling at straws for an excuse. After all, the point of death battles is the opponents at their strongest, not their weakest.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

This was (almost) as bad a match as Shovel Knight vs Scrooge McDuck.

One character has decades of canon to pull from and is reslly only limited by cartoon force (i.e.: anything is possible, as long as It's amusing to the audience and/or author), while the other is far more recent and exists in a far less cartoony media.

Really, if they are going to use cartoon-logic characters with thousands of stories, they should at least match them up to other similarly old and cartoony characters. Otherwise, the match is so obvious, It's pointless.
    Homebrew Stuff:

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Donald Duck vs. Daffy Duck is still high on my list of most wanted Death Battles.

...and then have it escalate as far as it can go with bringing in Donald's superhero identity and Daffy getting a Green Lantern Ring.

Donald vs. Daffy can get wild, is what I'm saying.

27. - Top - End - #987

Honestly I think any toon force style character should be excluded from death battles because the vast majority of them have similar power levels, able to ignore being reduced to ash or less, reality warping, and fits of destruction over the course of their history to make goku blush. It basically becomes a game of "Nu UHHHHH! My guy blocks that and retaliates!" "Well fine, then MY guy counters that with his ability to do this!"