New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: DEATH BATTLE - Season 8: Settling the debate once and for all?

Having researched a little bit... Turns out there are 3 main timelines in SNK canon...

Art of Fighting/Fatal Fury/Garou - Mark fo the Wolves
    Geese is dead. Feel from the tower, went splat, never came back.

King of Fighters (currently the "main" universe)
    Geese is alive. He managed to obtain and read/use all 3 scrolls of immortality before falling down the tower.

Maximum Impact
    I didn't even remember this crappy game existed... It was marketed as an alternate timeline, but followed the events of the Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury games... So Geese is dead again.

However, since Geese doesn't show up in as many game as Heihachi... Chances are the Mishima patriarch still wins due to his extra decades of canonical power creep.
    Homebrew Stuff:

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The battle is out!

Spoiler: This time...
    Show
    Poor Geese, he really should stop falling off of things. Still, good fight.

Also as Boomstick said, pull out some Soy Sauce for Geese. Well, if he insists.

Spoiler: Next time...
    Show
    Blake vs. Mikasa...? I have no idea who either is, so no horse in this race.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

I have no real knowledge of either of todays combatants so I cant really argue it, next time,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Likes like RWBY versus Attack on Titan I think? Unless the AoT character can actually turn into one, isnt blake pretty clearly superhuman in ability? Again, not much knowledge of either universe, let alone character, but I do know RWBY is kind of a favorite of the channel.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I have no real knowledge of either of todays combatants so I cant really argue it, next time,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Likes like RWBY versus Attack on Titan I think? Unless the AoT character can actually turn into one, isnt blake pretty clearly superhuman in ability? Again, not much knowledge of either universe, let alone character, but I do know RWBY is kind of a favorite of the channel.
    Spoiler: Next time
    Show
    Last I remember Mikasa was the second strongest normal human. Haven't kept up in years though so maybe she got titan powers at some point.

At least her grappling hook gear should make for an interesting fight.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Next Time
    Show
    Blake vs Mikasa. So I'll admit I only really watched the first arc of Attack on Titan. But beyond the people who could turn into Titans, everyone is basically an ordinary human. So while Mikasa might be a lot more skilled than Blake, and maybe is as strong and fast as her, Mikasa can hit Blake like a dozen times without it mattering, but Blake only needs to get one hit in to win. So I'm predicting a win for Blake.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    As mentioned, Mikasa is the second strongest human in the world. To elaborate, the Ackerman family is explicitly superhuman; having been genetically modified to be super soldiers. The best strength feat of hers I can think of is casually carrying several large railroad ties over her shoulder; but I wouldn't be surprised if she has something better. No idea how that compares to Blake though.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

7. - Top - End - #277

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As mentioned, Mikasa is the second strongest human in the world. To elaborate, the Ackerman family is explicitly superhuman; having been genetically modified to be super soldiers. The best strength feat of hers I can think of is casually carrying several large railroad ties over her shoulder; but I wouldn't be surprised if she has something better. No idea how that compares to Blake though.
    Spoiler: Next time
    Show
    Blake is a magic cat ninja. She's fast enough to deflect bullets and can make shadow clones. Also she can use Dust to get elemental powers.

Mikasa is probably the more skilled fighter, but I think Blake will take this just on speed alone. Unless there's some crazy feats I'm missing.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like the classic "Captain America package" vs "actual superpowers" matchup, which surprisingly always has the potential to go either way, even in comics and real TV shows.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Consensus elsewhere is that Blake is going to curb-stomp Mikasa, barring scaling her to some highly questionable claims that Levi is a hypersonic city-block-buster.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

I can't speak to it how it was maintained in the fiction past what I watched, but RWBY has Aura as it's own Nen/Reiryoku concept of creating animation-friendly invisible force fields for their characters that can resist significant force applied against it. I don't see what offensive capabilities Mikasa has to genuinely threaten Blake, I suspect her mundane weapons would likely break against Blake's magically reinforced body even assuming she's fast enough to get a clean hit on her.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2021-04-19 at 10:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Bugbear in the Playground

Given that Titans are supposed to be fairly heavily reinforced as well, even at their 'weak points' (albeit with boosted muscle/bone density rather than magic forcefields), it's possible that Mikasa's offensive power would be enough to make Blake feel it, although that's really not a guarantee.

Also, from what I can recall, Blake's speed is massively inconsistent in a fight- almost flash-step type speeds alternating with speeds that are no faster than any of the other combatants in RWBY, which aren't hugely outside human norms, at least for anime-type protagonists. Blake is also (arguably) the weakest combatant on Team RWBY, especially now that Weiss can summon giant monsters to do her bidding. Whether or not that's enough for Mikasa to close the gap remains to be seen.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Banned

Considering the ridiculous amount of bias they showed in their last RWBY fight...there's really no point in even tuning in to this one. It's a curb stomp on the surface for Blake, and they're even more biased towards in Blake's favor on top of that. Don't expect a watchable episode.

The only thing Mikasa has going for her is just how lethal she's willing to be compared to other characters. In a fight that was true to the characters she'd be going for the throat while Blake is still playing around, and might get lucky. Death Battles don't ever consider how the characters actually act though, so they won't take that into account.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Considering the ridiculous amount of bias they showed in their last RWBY fight...there's really no point in even tuning in to this one. It's a curb stomp on the surface for Blake, and they're even more biased towards in Blake's favor on top of that. Don't expect a watchable episode.

The only thing Mikasa has going for her is just how lethal she's willing to be compared to other characters. In a fight that was true to the characters she'd be going for the throat while Blake is still playing around, and might get lucky. Death Battles don't ever consider how the characters actually act though, so they won't take that into account.
    Last one was a loss for RWBY, with Weiss not being able to overcome the whole 'immune to ice' thing her opponent had.

Yeah, they are pretty awful for that. They talk about experience but never seem to consider how the actual fighting styles of their opponents match up. Namely the Obi-Wan vs Kakashi fight.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Given that Titans are supposed to be fairly heavily reinforced as well, even at their 'weak points' (albeit with boosted muscle/bone density rather than magic forcefields), it's possible that Mikasa's offensive power would be enough to make Blake feel it, although that's really not a guarantee.
    The Titan-slaying swords in AoT are extremely sharp certainly - at least by the standards of that world's technology - but they're fundamentally brittle and shatter frequently. They're designed to be as light as possible after all so as to not drag a solider down while they maneuver, then be used briefly, and finally discarded and quickly replaced like lead in a mechanical pencil.

They're also not designed for sword-to-sword combat, which you could argue Mikasa wouldn't use Titan-slaying swords for fighting a non-Titan opponent when she could freely use regular weapons better suited to taking and deflecting blows but I strongly doubt DB would consider that.

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Given that Titans are supposed to be fairly heavily reinforced as well
    Could you cite this? Other than the armored and female titans my understanding is that Titans are actually surprisingly frail due to having a very low mass for their size.

Like, very early on a guy kicks a severed Titan head that hasn't started decaying yet and sends it flying becuase its mass is so low.

Titans are a threat becuase there's a lot of them and if you don't kill them instantly by severing the brain stem they'll regenerate the damage.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

The major thing I give the side-eye to is...does Mikasa even really know HOW to fight human-sized opponents? All her military training is based around fighting something 20 times bigger than her as far as I know.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The major thing I give the side-eye to is...does Mikasa even really know HOW to fight human-sized opponents? All her military training is based around fighting something 20 times bigger than her as far as I know.
    She does have some personal experience with that, albeit not that much to be remarkable.

However, the larger thing about Mikasa Ackerman is she possesses the battle experience of her entire hereditary line through a transcendental psychic-spiritual network which connects members of her clan to one another throughout time, so I assume she has substantively more experience in fighting vanilla 1-1 scale humans than Blake has or could have.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: This Time
    Show
    As expected, Heihachi wins, having had much more time of power creep in the last few decades...

Also as expected... DB gets things wrong. The robots that blow Heihachi are mass produced Jack-5. The one who breaks the asteroids is not only a more advanced model, but one specially customized and improved one.

On the next time: I don't know how they will match Blake or Mikasa... They aren't even that similar theme-wise. Besides, we already know how biased DB is in favor of RWBY (and American media in general over Japanese media).
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2021-04-20 at 09:26 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

It's all about Aura, the Ackermans are explicitly superhuman and 3d maneuver gear requires inhuman reflexes and speed that will be used as an excuse to even them out. Having a build in physical forcefield against an opponent who does not will be the end of it however. Mikasa has to land a lot of blows to get through Blakes defenses and Blake just needs one good hit to break Mikasa in half.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Death Battle and RWBY are owned by the same company, aren't they?

If there's a RWBY matchup I dread, it's Symphogear. There's legitimately a lot of common ground (girls with crazy weapons slaughter armies of mooks, set to music), but comparing Yang to Hibiki is like comparing Quicksilver to Flash (if Quicksilver was also established to struggle against regular-speed people with similar fighting styles to Flash).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2021-04-20 at 06:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Death Battle and RWBY are owned by the same company, aren't they?
    I believe so. This is corporate synergy at it's simplest, I suppose. DB gets an animation cheap and relatively better than their usual quality and RWBY gets more exposure for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    If there's a RWBY matchup I dread, it's Symphogear. There's legitimately a lot of common ground (girls with crazy weapons slaughter armies of mooks, set to music), but comparing Yang to Hibiki is like comparing Quicksilver to Flash (if Quicksilver was also established to struggle against regular-speed people with similar fighting styles to Flash).
    The one I thought was obvious - once it became clear they're going to do all the main characters from RWBY anyways - was Ruby v. Maka from Soul Eater. If there were clear inspirations for RWBY it'd be Bleach, Soul Eater, and AtLA -- and Soul Eater is the closest in terms of general power scaling as well as the similarities between these two specific characters being quite clear.

Though, if were speaking of a Blake match-up, there's always Black Star.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, now that shameless self-promotion week is over, we can talk about a fight that looks surprisingly interesting on paper.

Spoiler: Next Time...
    Show
    In the Black and White corner: PO! From Kung-Fu Panda!

In the Green and Yellow corner: IRON FIST! From Marvel Comics!

If I remember Iron Fist right, he's mostly street level so being Marvel shouldn't boost him to stupid heights. Haven't watched Kung-Fu Panda, though, so I can't really tell about Po.
    Last edited by McNum; 2021-05-03 at 01:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293

Spoiler
    Show
    Iron Fist.

Iron Fist is 'street level' becuase his best friend is Luke Cage and because the people of Kun'lun deliberately kept int h dark because nothing he does can make them stop treating him like an outsider.

In short, the Iron Fist is not only supposed to gain a portion of the Dragon's Chi, but the Chi(human and dragon) of the previous Iron Fists but this doesn't happen if a previous Iron Fist is still around.

In addition, there's a tome called the Book of the Iron Fist that not only records the history of the previous Iron Fists, but allows an Iron Fist who reads it to inherit the martial arts skill of the previous Iron Fists.

After Danny was given the book, and was gifted the Chi of, the Iron First before him his power level drastically spiked.

I don't have an Iron Fist feat off the top of my head, but Fat cobra, who is Iron Fist's counterpart in another one of the Immortal cities and has a comparable power level, is able to use his Chi to be completely unarmed after being slammed into the body of a Celestial at a speed that resulted in a kinetic energy impact comparable to the energy released by a neutron bomb and is able to throw down with people like the Sentry.

It's implied that Iron Fist is stronger.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #294

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    Well, now that shameless self-promotion week is over, we can talk about a fight that looks surprisingly interesting on paper.

Spoiler: Next Time...
    Show
    In the Black and White corner: PO! From Kung-Fu Panda!

In the Green and Yellow corner: IRON FIST! From Marvel Comics!

If I remember Iron Fist right, he's mostly street level so being Marvel shouldn't boost him to stupid heights. Haven't watched Kung-Fu Panda, though, so I can't really tell about Po.
    Spoiler: Next Time
    Show
    Po is especially skilled at redirecting attacks, so he's an interesting matchup for Iron Fist's...Iron Fist. Don't know their max feats though. Po is fast and strong enough to catch cannonballs. I'm betting Danny has some crazy non-streetlevel feats, he is a Marvel character after all.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Iron Fist.

Iron Fist is 'street level' becuase his best friend is Luke Cage and because the people of Kun'lun deliberately kept int h dark because nothing he does can make them stop treating him like an outsider.

In short, the Iron Fist is not only supposed to gain a portion of the Dragon's Chi, but the Chi(human and dragon) of the previous Iron Fists but this doesn't happen if a previous Iron Fist is still around.

In addition, there's a tome called the Book of the Iron Fist that not only records the history of the previous Iron Fists, but allows an Iron Fist who reads it to inherit the martial arts skill of the previous Iron Fists.

After Danny was given the book, and was gifted the Chi of, the Iron First before him his power level drastically spiked.

I don't have an Iron Fist feat off the top of my head, but Fat cobra, who is Iron Fist's counterpart in another one of the Immortal cities and has a comparable power level, is able to use his Chi to be completely unarmed after being slammed into the body of a Celestial at a speed that resulted in a kinetic energy impact comparable to the energy released by a neutron bomb and is able to throw down with people like the Sentry.

It's implied that Iron Fist is stronger.
    Spoiler: And then
    Show
    To add to this, he two shot (K.O.) Sabretooth, broken out of both Spidey's webs and the Bands of Cytorrak, has the ABILITY (it was stated to be a simulation) to punch a hole in Spidey, with a single shot no less, can dodge sniper rifle shots and machine gun fire, is able to stop a woman from killing herself by grabbing the bullet from out the air when it was fired at POINT BLANK RANGE (comics are stupid), is able to punch a hole into a vault that is stated to withstand at least half the force generated by the Hiroshima Bomb, and tanks multiple times hits from Spidey. This is a stomp. Outside Po getting some non movie feats ( do he have a comic series??) Iron Fist should clap. (

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

I remember the first Kung-Fu Panda with some clarity, but I can't recall the sequels at all much. The only thing I would say in Po's favour is he exists in a universe which has some pretty rubbery physics which he in particular is subject to, not to the "get flattened with a mallet and spring back like an accordion"-levels of cartoon-ery but he's still pretty springy when falling on anything or taking hits.

I could imagine DB math calculations making him significantly more durable than what common sense would usually allow.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2021-05-03 at 08:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297

This battle
    Spoiler
    Show
    as soon as they covered speed feats it was clear who the winner would be. Especially as blakes opponent doesnt have any real durability feats to work with.

As for next time
    Spoiler
    Show
    comic book characters trump movie characters. iron fist is gonna punch po into oblivion. Unless he gets some sort of bizarre durability feats or something.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    This battle
    Spoiler
    Show
    as soon as they covered speed feats it was clear who the winner would be. Especially as blakes opponent doesnt have any real durability feats to work with.

As for next time
    Spoiler
    Show
    comic book characters trump movie characters. iron fist is gonna punch po into oblivion. Unless he gets some sort of bizarre durability feats or something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Po does have some measure of plot related invulnerability powers. He cant make himself indestructible, as such, but he's demonstrated some ability to just... make incoming hits not actually affect him. The energy goes somewhere else. Off hand i know he's deflected cannon balls without any real effort on his part, and left them with enough force to destroy ships and cannons on the rebound.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

The power of the Iron Fist itself has fluctuated significantly over the years. In some cases it's been likened to an atomic bomb (one of the really old, black and white Iron Fist comics I could track down had him annihilate an entire town with a single punch, along with the aforementioned feat of punching through a reinforced-against-nuclear-strikes bunker door from an early-ish Power Man and Iron Fist issue) but other times seems significantly more subdued, though that may be due to the through plot of Danny learning to actually control the power and hold back so he can use it more than once a day; in the early days he was basically just a baseline human martial artist who had the ability to supreme overkill anything once per day, after which he was drained.

It's true that he absolutely walloped Sabertooth, but it's worth noting that this is not the same "healing factor equal to or better than Wolverine" Sabertooth you may know and love. Sabertooth's very first appearance was as a two-off Iron Fist villain where he was basically just some schmuck with a doofy haircut.

He is definitely much more inherently superhuman these days though, due to using chi. The limits of this are nebulous, and the power ups he's gotten in stuff are inconsistent and potentially no longer there in some cases; like when some gods or whatever gave him a shiny white and gold outfit with a power up in that series where he was on the Avengers team led by Luke Cage.

The Immortal Iron Fist and subsequent works seem to have nailed down his physical prowess as definitely superhuman, but to a still undefined degree. Probably above Captain America/Black Panther/Similar characters levels, but definitely below, say, Luke who has durability as kind of his whole thing. He can also heal himself these days.

In terms of skill, he definitely takes it. In terms of physicality, well Po has being a bear going for him, even if he's not hella ripped like the panda from Beastars.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-05-04 at 09:55 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The power of the Iron Fist itself has fluctuated significantly over the years. In some cases it's been likened to an atomic bomb (one of the really old, black and white Iron Fist comics I could track down had him annihilate an entire town with a single punch, along with the aforementioned feat of punching through a reinforced-against-nuclear-strikes bunker door from an early-ish Power Man and Iron Fist issue) but other times seems significantly more subdued, though that may be due to the through plot of Danny learning to actually control the power and hold back so he can use it more than once a day; in the early days he was basically just a baseline human martial artist who had the ability to supreme overkill anything once per day, after which he was drained.

It's true that he absolutely walloped Sabertooth, but it's worth noting that this is not the same "healing factor equal to or better than Wolverine" Sabertooth you may know and love. Sabertooth's very first appearance was as a two-off Iron Fist villain where he was basically just some schmuck with a doofy haircut.

He is definitely much more inherently superhuman these days though, due to using chi. The limits of this are nebulous, and the power ups he's gotten in stuff are inconsistent and potentially no longer there in some cases; like when some gods or whatever gave him a shiny white and gold outfit with a power up in that series where he was on the Avengers team led by Luke Cage.

The Immortal Iron Fist and subsequent works seem to have nailed down his physical prowess as definitely superhuman, but to a still undefined degree. Probably above Captain America/Black Panther/Similar characters levels, but definitely below, say, Luke who has durability as kind of his whole thing. He can also heal himself these days.

In terms of skill, he definitely takes it. In terms of physicality, well Po has being a bear going for him, even if he's not hella ripped like the panda from Beastars.
    Po is certainly stronger than a regular panda. He belly-slammed Tai Lung into the sky, and is durable enough to take similar hits. That said he isn't city-destroyer level, which it sounds like Iron Fist can surpass with his max feats.

Can Iron Fist interact with the spirit realm at all? Po can send people there, so it will probably come up in the fight.