New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DEATH BATTLE - Season 8: Settling the debate once and for all?

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I actually think Korea will win. Storm’s power is immense but it is spread out. She can create a hurricane, but as far as I know she can’t create a blade of wind or steal the air from someone’s lungs. It’s largescale attacks or nothing. Her most precise attack is a lightning bolt, but it is still a normal lightning bolt.

Korra has less power but can actually concentrate it.
    Korra also can't do the air stealing trick or wind blades IIRC, so point is kinda moot.

Meanwhile, a "normal lightning bolt" is one of the most destructive natural phenomena in a concentrated sense.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    You are aware that there's a differance between selecting a single comic panel and ignoring that the text in the panel flat out contradicts their interpretation(what Deathbattle did when they claimed that Superman tanked a Supernova, as one of my go too examples of their cherry picking) and my pointing out that Storm's Claustrophobia hasn't been a meaningful hindrance to her for a long, long, long time in the comics.Storm has also been known to create "personal storms" to cover herself becuase she didn't feel like wearing clothes at the moment.

And on a couple of occasions has frozen people solid with selectively targetted, hurricane-force arctic-temperature winds.

It is entirely within her power to focus her full might into precise attacks.

Edit: So I had a picture of the outfit Storm wore at the Hellfire Gala, which included an actual Storm Cloud complete with crackling lightning that she was wearing as a cape, but it also included a picture of Rachel Summers in the outfit... And her outfit was... highly sexualized and I decided better of it.

So just... Google "Storm Hellfire Gala" outfit if you want to see an example of the kind of precise control Storm can do.
    Googled it. I'm honestly not impressed. It looked like she tore a piece off a storm cloud and had it following her around.

Selectively freezing people is pretty impressive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Korra also can't do the air stealing trick or wind blades IIRC, so point is kinda moot.

Meanwhile, a "normal lightning bolt" is one of the most destructive natural phenomena in a concentrated sense.
    With wind no. But we do see fire used as a blowtorch.

EDIT: We actually see Zaheer do the breath stealing technique.

Sure, I'm not dissing lightning. But that's a) something the Avatar can do as well, and b)no where near as powerful as creating a global storm. Storm can totally do the latter. Which would take who knows how many tons of TNT of force to do , but all that power doesn't mean much if she can't concentrate it more than a lightning bolt. If her most powerful attack is effectively 'just' a lightning bolt, then Korra has this in the bag.

Basically, what's the strongest attack we see Storm throw at an individual?
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2021-11-09 at 01:25 AM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Storm can summon lightning STORMS, not just singular bolts. Even if Korra knew the lightning redirection technique (which I'm pretty sure she doesn't) there's a limit to how many times she could do that in a span of seconds. I would be very surprised if Storm had never thrown a "deluge of lightning bolts' attack at some big threat.

Storm also probably has an absurd durability feat they'll pull out of their ass given this is comic books. "Oh she survived a punch from Apocalypse, who is as strong as Thanos, who can destroy planets with the mere clapping of his asscheeks as he walks, therefore she has super durability".
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-11-09 at 01:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Storm can summon lightning STORMS, not just singular bolts. Even if Korra knew the lightning redirection technique (which I'm pretty sure she doesn't) there's a limit to how many times she could do that in a span of seconds. I would be very surprised if Storm had never thrown a "deluge of lightning bolts' attack at some big threat.

Storm also probably has an absurd durability feat they'll pull out of their ass given this is comic books. "Oh she survived a punch from Apocalypse, who is as strong as Thanos, who can destroy planets with the mere clapping of his asscheeks as he walks, therefore she has super durability".
    Sure, but she can just create a dome of rock to block it. Though I honestly don't know what difference Korra and Aang have feat wise. I've been basically assuming that whatever one Avatar can do, another can replicate.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, but she can just create a dome of rock to block it. Though I honestly don't know what difference Korra and Aang have feat wise. I've been basically assuming that whatever one Avatar can do, another can replicate.
    All of Korra's biggest feats come from, as far as I know, he kaiju battle when fused with Rava, but I may be wrong.

Aang had access to the Avatar State at-will by the end of the series, which is where most of the big feats of the series in general come from. Korra, by contrast, loses access to her past lives partway through season 2 and never gets it back to my knowledge.

She is in comparison to Aang essentially crippled in terms of raw power output, and I'm not sure she ever matches him in pure bending skill either.

By the by, lightning can and has cracked and burst rocks.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-11-09 at 01:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

All of Korra's biggest feats come from, as far as I know, he kaiju battle when fused with Rava, but I may be wrong.

Aang had access to the Avatar State at-will by the end of the series, which is where most of the big feats of the series in general come from. Korra, by contrast, loses access to her past lives partway through season 2 and never gets it back to my knowledge.

She is in comparison to Aang essentially crippled in terms of raw power output, and I'm not sure she ever matches him in pure bending skill either.

I'm not sure if it counts as bigger, but she does jump in front of a laser beam (FTL reactions confirmed ), deflect/absorb it, and use it to create a portal or something?

I do know she eventually regains the Avatar State, but I think she doesn't have the past lives or something? I'm working off of second hand knowledge here. I've never actually watched the show.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

Storm did get manhandled by wonder woman got back up and one shotted her with lightning in a crossover.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    Storm did get manhandled by wonder woman got back up and one shotted her with lightning in a crossover.
    I remember that fight. WW could of had a better showing if she would of kept Thor's hammer, but she didn't.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    I remember that fight. WW could of had a better showing if she would of kept Thor's hammer, but she didn't.
    course if she was willing to "cheat" would she have been worthy of the hammer?

10. - Top - End - #790

BlackDragon

course if she was willing to "cheat" would she have been worthy of the hammer?
    How was that cheating? They didn't even have terms for how to fight and just went at it with brute force, till Storm just said forget getting slapped around and bolted her.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Barbarian in the Playground

How was that cheating? They didn't even have terms for how to fight and just went at it with brute force, till Storm just said forget getting slapped around and bolted her.
    It was a silly fight decided by fan vote. It was a condemnation on Marvel that in 96 the closest thing they had to a popular female lead character to put up against wonder-woman in a fight was Storm, but that's what it was back then. It's a condemnation on DC that Wonder-woman, one of their big three, lost to Storm in a fan vote, but that's what it was back then. X-men, while declining, were still near the once highpoint of their popularity and Wonder-woman was pretty UNpopular at the time.

Really, Storm wouldn't have a chance against Diana in a straight fight, Thor's hammer or not. We're talking about someone with the strength of superman and speed approaching the flash against someone with normal human strength and speed. Storm took her out with a lightning bolt? Yeah I don't think so. And I don't want to hear about her current 'feats' from Hickman's X-men because back in 96, Storm was NEVER portrayed as that ridiculously powerful.

IMO as a reader, having characters do things like "create an atmosphere on Mars with a wave of their hand" makes me LESS interested in them, not more. Characters should have limits and flaws and they should appear 'beatable' even if they always win otherwise you lose any sense of tension.
    Last edited by Wintermoot; 2021-11-09 at 03:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

that's why I had it in quotes, wonder woman thought it would be dishonorably to use the hammer and I contend that if she had been willing to use someone else power to fight she likely would not have been worthy to use it anyway. But that's just me that whole line of comics was silly though the worst one I can recall was lobo vs wolverine.

Course just because its nonsense does not mean that DB wont use it, they have used dumber stuff than that.

13. - Top - End - #793

Honestly, this one feels like it boils down to whether or not Korra can get in close. Benders in general don't seem to do a lot of long-range stuff (no more than a couple hundred metres at most) barring kaiju-fights and similar. If Storm was playing it smart, she'd just shoot up half a kilometre and drop lightning bolts on Korra until she gets her. Then again, this is Death Battle, and in all fairness, turning it into a 'nyah, nyah, can't get me!' match would be a bit dull.

Thinking about it, if Storm seriously cut loose? Even 'classic' Storm? I don't think Korra could survive it, Avatar State or no. Every extreme weather condition known to mankind cranked to eleven and dropped directly on her head would be a bit much to survive- hailstones the size of compact cars, winds that could shear concrete bunkers off at ground level, lightning that was less 'bolts' than 'electricity with occasional bits of air in it', horizontal rain that was more like the output of a city-sized firehose...
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

Korra wasn't fused with Rava when she did that. It was Korra's own spirit form. She had already lost the avatar spirit when she did this.

She used that form to fight Unavatu in order to rescue Rava.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Even classic Storm was already changing climates on a continental scale. She doesn't do that often because after inadvertently causing a draught, she realized that changing the weather too much can have huge collateral effects in other regions. "Classic Storm" has has shown to be able to generate winds capable of throwing Colossus around and of accelerating woden sticks fast enough to shatter diamonds.

And it's worth noting that Ororo is also a very accomplished hand-to-hand fighter, even in enclosed spaces, where her claustrophobia kicks in.

She once literally ripped the heart out of Marrow, a considerably skilled mutant who is very focused in melee combat and far more durable than Ororo.

The Avatar state is Korra's only chance, and even that is probably not enough, if Storm truly stops holding back.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2021-11-10 at 01:42 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Even classic Storm was already changing climates on a continental scale. She doesn't do that often because after inadvertently causing a draught, she realized that changing the weather too much can have huge collateral effects in other regions. "Classic Storm" has has shown to be able to generate winds capable of throwing Colossus around and of accelerating woden sticks fast enough to shatter diamonds.

And it's worth noting that Ororo is also a very accomplished hand-to-hand fighter, even in enclosed spaces, where her claustrophobia kicks in.

She once literally ripped the heart out of Marrow, a considerably skilled mutant who is very focused in melee combat and far more durable than Ororo.

The Avatar state is Korra's only chance, and even that is probably not enough, if Storm truly stops holding back.
    Yeah Storm's got this. Korra's. Most powerful feats are eclipsed by Storm's base stuff

Remember how many Airbenders including 2 masters it took to create a tornado. Storm does that stuff at a whim
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Colossus in the Playground

So both blurbs are up and im thinking that storm has this. She is planetary levels of elemental manipulation. The only possible excuse is if they bring up an avatar feat that makes her power be greater when focused to a point. Like, yeah, storm can cover an entire world in a hurricane, but its never a more powerful one than koirra can make over this town. That sort of thing. (Im not claiming this will be the case) At this point we need a combo of durability and control feats. Like, we know as the avatar korra can block, redirect, and take control of incoming elemental attacks, can storm do it as easily? Or will this be a retread of garra/toph where they decide that garra cant win a fight for control over his own element despite being objectively far stronger and faster than toph? And what about hits taken. I have to assume that storm has tanked some pretty gnarly shots in her long career in marvel. Storm has a clear advantage in overall power, but it may come down to elemental tug of war again as to who wins.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So both blurbs are up and im thinking that storm has this. She is planetary levels of elemental manipulation. The only possible excuse is if they bring up an avatar feat that makes her power be greater when focused to a point. Like, yeah, storm can cover an entire world in a hurricane, but its never a more powerful one than koirra can make over this town. That sort of thing. (Im not claiming this will be the case) At this point we need a combo of durability and control feats. Like, we know as the avatar korra can block, redirect, and take control of incoming elemental attacks, can storm do it as easily? Or will this be a retread of garra/toph where they decide that garra cant win a fight for control over his own element despite being objectively far stronger and faster than toph? And what about hits taken. I have to assume that storm has tanked some pretty gnarly shots in her long career in marvel. Storm has a clear advantage in overall power, but it may come down to elemental tug of war again as to who wins.
    Yeah, the precision stuff of flash freezing lava or controlling someone's electrical impulses I think makes it an easy win for Storm.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

19. - Top - End - #799

Yeah, the precision stuff of flash freezing lava or controlling someone's electrical impulses I think makes it an easy win for Storm.
    Ah thats right, forgot about the head games. So the only question is taking control of each others elements. If korra is better able to wrest control of storms attacks than storm is of hers, it may not matter that storm is stronger.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean who knows how they will go but logically storms power is just so much faster than a benders. She just has to think while the benders need to use their martial arts. Of course that same argument could be made for garra and toph.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

I mean who knows how they will go but logically storms power is just so much faster than a benders. She just has to think while the benders need to use their martial arts. Of course that same argument could be made for garra and toph.
    Sufficiently skilled benders can do their thing with little to no motion, and while AFAIK Korra never got that good in her own series I have to assume she is going to be given the Avatar State because otherwise there just isn't a fight here at all. Aang's battle with Ozai at the end of the first series is probably going to be the main showcase for how that works in a fight, and as shown in that sequence the Avatar State can control all four elements continuously without more than a dramatic arm wave when it wanted to do something.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

If they give Korra Aang's Avatar State I'm gonna call BS, because she never does that, and later on cannot do that.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

If they give Korra Aang's Avatar State I'm gonna call BS, because she never does that, and later on cannot do that.
    Hi, welcome to Death Battle, first time?

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Hi, welcome to Death Battle, first time?
    Usually they at least PRETEND to know what they're talking about.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

Which fighting game has everyone able to react to bulletfire because 1 Ninja in the game could and they all thus scale to him?
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

Usually they at least PRETEND to know what they're talking about.
    I'll rag on Death Battle's weird justifications, obsession with transitive property scaling, and insistence on treating things as if everything operated by real life physics when they clearly do not (hello, everybody-has-lightspeed-reactions because they once dodged something that glowed and therefore was a laser!)

..but I think this one is/will be kind of justifiable? Korra may have never learned how to voluntarily enter the Avatar State, but we know it also triggers as a kind of preservation mechanism for the Avatar. And it operates by giving access to the gestalt skills and knowledge of all the previous Avatars, which means once Korra is forced into it there is no reason her Avatar State should be any less powerful than Aang's. What I would expect is it gets used for one of their traditional 'nobody could have survived that.. but wait, this wasn't even my final form!' reversals in the fight animation. Korra fights a losing battle against Storm, big lightning bolt finisher/hailstorm/blown away in a tornado/whatever, Nobody Could Have Survived That! Storm struck her with the power of a kamillion jiggawatts! Korra comes out of the dust in full Avatar glow-up for round 2.

27. - Top - End - #807

Which fighting game has everyone able to react to bulletfire because 1 Ninja in the game could and they all thus scale to him?
    Mortal kombat. Everybody is also at least strong enough to break diamond blocks or whatever due to the minigame in the first iirc.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

I'll rag on Death Battle's weird justifications, obsession with transitive property scaling, and insistence on treating things as if everything operated by real life physics when they clearly do not (hello, everybody-has-lightspeed-reactions because they once dodged something that glowed and therefore was a laser!)

..but I think this one is/will be kind of justifiable? Korra may have never learned how to voluntarily enter the Avatar State, but we know it also triggers as a kind of preservation mechanism for the Avatar. And it operates by giving access to the gestalt skills and knowledge of all the previous Avatars, which means once Korra is forced into it there is no reason her Avatar State should be any less powerful than Aang's. What I would expect is it gets used for one of their traditional 'nobody could have survived that.. but wait, this wasn't even my final form!' reversals in the fight animation. Korra fights a losing battle against Storm, big lightning bolt finisher/hailstorm/blown away in a tornado/whatever, Nobody Could Have Survived That! Storm struck her with the power of a kamillion jiggawatts! Korra comes out of the dust in full Avatar glow-up for round 2.
    The thing is, that justification doesn't really matter...because Korra can't use the Avatar State at all. Unless they're just ignoring the last two seasons?

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

The thing is, that justification doesn't really matter...because Korra can't use the Avatar State at all. Unless they're just ignoring the last two seasons?
    I fully expect this to actually be Avatar Aang versus Storm, just using Korra as the representative art because then they can claim the similarity is 'female users of elements' - the actual feats they draw on for how the fight goes are likely to all be from Aang or flashback depictions of previous Avatars (like Roku fighting an actively erupting volcano and .. not winning, but putting up a pretty good struggle.) So yes, they're going to ignore the last two seasons, because Korra's story is mostly about trying to Avatar without actually having the powers of the Avatar, and that's not really suitable for Death Battle.

Or it's a walkover for Storm. Could go that way too I guess.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

I'd expect them to. They take the character at their strongest, not at their end point. It is rare for a character to get weaker as an arc continues, but that isn't unique. Superhero comics actually do that all the time. Most of the top feats a character can do is something that their current iteration can't do anymore. Like punching a black hole into existence.

I fully expect this to actually be Avatar Aang versus Storm, just using Korra as the representative art because then they can claim the similarity is 'female users of elements' - the actual feats they draw on for how the fight goes are likely to all be from Aang or flashback depictions of previous Avatars (like Roku fighting an actively erupting volcano and .. not winning, but putting up a pretty good struggle.) So yes, they're going to ignore the last two seasons, because Korra's story is mostly about trying to Avatar without actually having the powers of the Avatar, and that's not really suitable for Death Battle.

Or it's a walkover for Storm. Could go that way too I guess.
    Yeah, basically. They'll take some feats, because Korra does have stuff like jumping in front of a laser, or her kaiju battle thing, but there will be a lot of tranitive property stuff from Aang.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show