New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

tongue OOTS #1227 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1227 - The Discussion Thread

Love the pace this is moving at for the beginning of the book-- makes me all the more excited when we really get to the climactic action.

Also, this neatly answers several reader questions from the last one. I do look forward to more of Serini and the paladins talking (which I assume is what has to happen here).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

"We were friends."

Serini might be an outcast from halfling society, but she is still a halfling at heart.
    And at this point, I feel that she misjudged her fellows: had she gone back to halfling society, she would have probably been accepted, because "she was their friend".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, that settles all the debate about "What's the other half" (Or 1/4th I guess).

Interesting to see the relationship of adventurers and other monstrous races explored, I imagine Redcloak and Serini could have some evocative discussions.

Makes me think whoever the Orange guy is is probably a Monstrous race/creature or something... probably not another troll (as those are green), but given her relationships with monstrous societies I'd bet it's something on that side.
    Homebrew setting: UnintensifiedFailure's Setting Please check it out, I'd love feedback.

Occupations: DnD Player/DM, High-School student, Webcomic reader.

Webcomic Recs: Tower of God, Yumi's Cells, Questionable Content, and (of course) OOTS.

My third occupation takes the most time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Well that looked painful.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Serini is now my favorite Order of the Scribble member.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Oof, this honestly might be the most graphic strip in the comic for me. Following the logic that she has partial green skin and a green voice, orange voice might be of some species with orange skin/fur.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Only O-Chul could be that concerned about politeness while chained to a wall! I do love that a little of the old Serini seems to show at the end... and that it strains even O-Chul's patience.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

O-chul became better every time he has on screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I kindof wonder if Serini might be evil.
    Hitting defenceless prisoners and providing them with false hope of freedom doesn't exactly scream 'good' at any rate.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    "We were friends."

Serini might be an outcast from halfling society, but she is still a halfling at heart.
    And at this point, I feel that she misjudged her fellows: had she gone back to halfling society, she would have probably been accepted, because "she was their friend".
    Would she have? Maybe by some, but we've also seen how Monstrous races are treated in many Humanoid societies... I think her judgment has merit.
    Also, I'm not sure that that's Serini's only reason (even if it is the one she said), I imagine seeing Xykon in possession of the location of every gate would be enough to get her on High alert as well. Plus, if she has any way of knowing how many gates are left (which seems likely given Girard's similar device) she'd know that this is the last gate, and is of much greater importance.
    Last edited by UnintensifiedFa; 2021-02-25 at 09:00 AM. Reason: (typo)
    Homebrew setting: UnintensifiedFailure's Setting Please check it out, I'd love feedback.

Webcomic Recs: Tower of God, Yumi's Cells, Questionable Content, and (of course) OOTS.

12. - Top - End - #12

Looks like halfling foot hair is stronger than Troll blood transfusions.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks, Rich!

I was pretty sure O'Chul would be the one to get the right answer, since he made friends with the CitD.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ebarde View Post
    Oof, this honestly might be the most graphic strip in the comic for me. Following the logic that she has partial green skin and a green voice, orange voice might be of some species with orange skin/fur.
    Yeah, but it should also be something quite large, given how it was able to carry so much so far apart... I think dragon was high on the list, any other larger creatures with orange skin/fur?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Hitting defenceless prisoners and providing them with false hope of freedom doesn't exactly scream 'good' at any rate.
    I mean, that's somewhat quaint compared to a lot of stuff good aligned characters have gotten away with in this comic. I think she's good but very loopy due to the extreme isolation and all.

16. - Top - End - #16

Whatever could this mean for the themes of the comic with regards to monster races, it could literally mean anything.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UnintensifiedFa View Post
    Would she have? Maybe by some, but we've also seen how Monstrous races are treated in many Humanoid societies... I think her judgment has merit.
    Also, I'm not sure that that's Serini's only reason (even if it is the one she said), I imagine seeing Xykon in possession of the location of every gate would be enough to get her on High alert as well. Plus, if she has any way of knowing how many gates are left (which seems likely given Girard's similar device) she'd know that this is the last gate, and is of much greater importance.
    Well Utterly Dwarfed ended with what is now almost confirmed to be her voice seemingly resigned to nonexistence, so there's something else going on here.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

C'me on Lien, you walked right into that one! You need to spend time with Haley.

Quote Originally Posted by Toper View Post
    Only O-Chul could be that concerned about politeness while chained to a wall! I do love that a little of the old Serini seems to show at the end... and that it strains even O-Chul's patience.
    1) Politeness is always welcomed.
    2) He still hopes to ally with her.
    3) Being chained to a wall is a poor moment to be rude as you can't defend yourself if the opposite party takes offense.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Well Utterly Dwarfed ended with what is now almost confirmed to be her voice seemingly resigned to nonexistence, so there's something else going on here.
    This has been discussed thoroughly, but I came to the conclusion that they aren't necessarily resigned to nonexistence, but more of a jab that what they're doing could result at the end of the world at any point. Of course, I think we'll need to see further into Serini's plans to know exactly what that line meant.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

This does raise the question, why didn't Xykon loot her magic items along with her diary? We know that he is unashamed to loot, both before and after this incident. Ah well, probably a question that doesn't need to be answered for a throwaway line.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I quite like the idea of there being an evil defender of the gates; being evil doesn't always mean wanting world domination, after all.

But I would say her current behavior is neutral-ish. Finding out how your prisoners (who are breaking an old agreement to stay away) react is a form of interrogation, which is quite reasonable. Not even lawful good people HAVE to be nice to prisoners. Hitting them is a bit mean, though.

And yeah, O'Chul could be the breakout character! A genuinely interesting paladin.
    Spoiler: How to fix T1 classes:
    Show
    There are more posts on the forums about how to nerf T1, than there are posts about T1 characters ruining games. I would say the problem is solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This? This isn't a slice of brilliance. This is the whole freaking pie.

When you play the game of pwns, you're either w1n or n00b. There is no middle ground.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

This has been discussed thoroughly, but I came to the conclusion that they aren't necessarily resigned to nonexistence, but more of a jab that what they're doing could result at the end of the world at any point. Of course, I think we'll need to see further into Serini's plans to know exactly what that line meant.
    Fair, but her intention to handicap two Paladins (in terms of tactical knowledge, at least) who I assume very much like existing doesn't strike me as the most constructive course of action. At best it feels like Girard-style resentment.

Also I wonder if Belkar's own character development will be involved in appealing to her in some way. One halfling outcast to another.
    - The Flying Kipper

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

..Huh, you know, considering the events of How the Paladin Got His Scar, I think there's a very good chance of O-Chul being able to talk Serini into helping them. And maybe that's how they'll manage to convince Redcloak to get his head out of his ass and throw out the Plan.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGee View Post
    This does raise the question, why didn't Xykon loot her magic items along with her diary? We know that he is unashamed to loot, both before and after this incident. Ah well, probably a question that doesn't need to be answered for a throwaway line.
    Because Serini is a Rogue and Xykon doesn't give three hoots what magic items she might have, because none of them are likely to be useful for him? After all, when he's not killing or hurting people for funsies, Xykon is actually pretty pragmatic.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGee View Post
    Maybe he did, but there were some that were more difficult to remove?

Or it could just be Xykon's Chaotic Evil nature coming through, he may be ruthless, but he's also pretty arbitrary, if he doesn't get it now, he figures he can just take it later. Remember, to Xykon, everyone is pitifully weak compared to him...

But you're right, it's not super critical to have this answered.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

First time we've seen her... also the first time we've seen that level of gore. Yuck.
    Last edited by HUMVEE Driver; 2021-02-25 at 09:15 AM.
    "I'll see you on the road!"

AntiHeroes - Not worth the banner any more.

DragonCon 2013: August 30 - September 2

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds like they'd get along with Roy. Reminds me of his dealings with the orcs when he first met Durkon.

28. - Top - End - #28

EvilClericGuy

I’m so confused, isn’t Serini an epic-level rogue? Why couldn’t she just Evasion past whatever Xykon did?

Or maybe she did Evasion and instead of being totally disintegrated she was only half disintegrated?
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe he did, but there were some that were more difficult to remove?

Or it could just be Xykon's Chaotic Evil nature coming through, he may be ruthless, but he's also pretty arbitrary, if he doesn't get it now, he figures he can just take it later. Remember, to Xykon, everyone is pitifully weak compared to him...

But you're right, it's not super critical to have this answered.
    Notice when Xykon is blasting her she still has her arm and leg. Maybe because the spell wasn't finished yet, or maybe he did loot her...
    - The Flying Kipper

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    I’m so confused, isn’t Serini an epic-level rogue? Why couldn’t she just Evasion past whatever Xykon did?

Or maybe she did Evasion and instead of being totally disintegrated she was only half disintegrated?
    Epic Level Casters outpace other Epic Characters by +lots. It's possible he caught her flat footed so she couldn't evade.
    - The Flying Kipper