New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1227 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Epic Level Casters outpace other Epic Characters by +lots. It's possible he caught her flat footed so she couldn't evade.
    Then again, it's not like Xykon has a particularly optimal build...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Well there goes my "half of Redcloak's niece" theory...
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    I’m so confused, isn’t Serini an epic-level rogue? Why couldn’t she just Evasion past whatever Xykon did?

Or maybe she did Evasion and instead of being totally disintegrated she was only half disintegrated?
    Evasion is only applicable to reflex saves (Dexterity for 5e players). Presumably Xykon used a spell that offers a different save instead, one she wasn’t as strong at.

It is rather odd that it only wrecked half her body if it wasn’t a reflex save though.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

WOOO! New comic. Just when I'm working, too... curses.

I know it's presented in a simplistic stick figure style, but the image of Serini missing half of her flesh is... disturbing.

Can't wait for the next comic!! I love Serini so far, also.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe that just wasn't a spell that allowed a Reflex save.

...Hmm, is it just me, or has Rich left out the dialogue box in that panel?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I’m so confused, isn’t Serini an epic-level rogue? Why couldn’t she just Evasion past whatever Xykon did?

Or maybe she did Evasion and instead of being totally disintegrated she was only half disintegrated?
    3.5 disintegrate is a ranged touch and fortitude save, rogues have no significant advantages with those.

Plenty of other spells don't attack reflex.

Also, casters >> non casters by those levels in 3.5.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

No idea what spell he used but I doubt it was a standard Disintegrate if he wanted her diary.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UnintensifiedFa View Post
    Yeah, but it should also be something quite large, given how it was able to carry so much so far apart... I think dragon was high on the list, any other larger creatures with orange skin/fur?
    It's a dragon or half-dragon. I'm basically sure now. See, there is a consistency on how dark-colour-on-light-colour speech bubbles are handled, after all. It indeed is specific to two creature types: dragons and giants. Serini got those speech bubbles because she's part giant and I'd put money on Orange gaining them due to being a chromatic metallic (half-)dragon (probably bronze or copper).
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-02-25 at 09:39 AM. Reason: I have no idea why I wrote chromatic instead of metallic.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I definetly feel the implication is she took half damage

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UnintensifiedFa View Post
    probably not another troll (as those are green)
    Not all trolls are green. (Also bonus points for being a half-dragon.)

Could this be our mysterious ally?
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2021-02-25 at 09:35 AM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Disintegrate has always been a green laser in OotS(as well as the official description), and it actually wouldn't affect any of her items anyways.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    It's a dragon or half-dragon. I'm basically sure now. See, there is a consistency on how dark-colour-on-light-colour speech bubbles are handled, after all. It indeed is specific to two creature types: dragons and giants. Serini got those speech bubbles because she's part giant and I'd put money on Orange gaining them due to being a chromatic (half-)dragon (probably bronze or copper).
    Wouldn't that be metallic dragons, rather than chromatic? The helper being a dragon does open up for some kind of relationship to the Draketooths - the signamancy... I mean, the color scheme, fit, at least!
    Spoiler: How to fix T1 classes:
    Show
    There are more posts on the forums about how to nerf T1, than there are posts about T1 characters ruining games. I would say the problem is solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This? This isn't a slice of brilliance. This is the whole freaking pie.

When you play the game of pwns, you're either w1n or n00b. There is no middle ground.

13. - Top - End - #43

MindFlayer

I assumed the fact that half her face is gone is she took half damage...
    More wondering why didn't Xykon finish the job? I think another flashback would arrive later.

What's more interesting to me, is that she is half "regular pc race" and half "monster race" which might make her the exact person needed to help bridge the gap between Durkon and Red Cloak.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    No idea what spell he used but I doubt it was a standard Disintegrate if he wanted her diary.
    That's a possible 3.0 problem and could apply, although 3.0 SRD does not specify what happens to equipment when a creature is disintegrated so the ruling in OotS world may be that "the creature" is just the creature, not the gear, but in 3.5:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this spell is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. A disintegrated creature’s equipment is unaffected.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    That's a possible 3.0 problem and could apply, although 3.0 SRD does not specify what happens to equipment when a creature is disintegrated so the ruling in OotS world may be that "the creature" is just the creature, not the gear, but in 3.5:
    When V zapped Kubota, it left a bunch of dust and his armor. Then they used Gust of Wind to blow it overboard.

Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #46

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    3.5 disintegrate is a ranged touch and fortitude save, rogues have no significant advantages with those.

Plenty of other spells don't attack reflex.

Also, casters >> non casters by those levels in 3.5.
    What about under 3.0 rules? Since the attack happened before the Order got to Dorukan's Dungeon the world should still be running on 3.0 rules at that point.
    Yes, I am aware the real answer is "It doesn't really matter".

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Wouldn't that be metallic dragons, rather than chromatic?
    As the reference to bronze and copper shows, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for spotting the mistake!

The helper being a dragon does open up for some kind of relationship to the Draketooths - the signamancy... I mean, the color scheme, fit, at least!
    Anyone related to the Draketooths would have (this time actually) chromatic blood. Also, they would be long dead at this point.

18. - Top - End - #48

SamuraiGuy

OK, so we now know that Serini is not Lawful. This is my completely shocked face.
    Troll blood is an interesting explanation. And it may mean that Serini is in some sense immortal - even if the halfling part dies, the troll part survives. I'm not sure how that would work in practice.
    She needs to lose the cloak. It's a tripping hazard up there on the ledge.
    Also, we have sort-of confirmation that this hideout is at Kragor's Tomb. Although Serini could be lying about that.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    OK, so we now know that Serini is not Lawful. This is my completely shocked face.
    Troll blood is an interesting explanation. And it may mean that Serini is in some sense immortal - even if the halfling part dies, the troll part survives. I'm not sure how that would work in practice.
    She needs to lose the cloak. It's a tripping hazard up there on the ledge.
    Also, we have sort-of confirmation that this hideout is at Kragor's Tomb. Although Serini could be lying about that.
    Nitpick: Tarquin's LE and his team's been playing the entire continent like a friggin' kazoo. Redcloak's been doing much the same with Xykon, although maybe not as successfully.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #50

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    Not all trolls are green. (Also bonus points for being a half-dragon.)

Could this be our mysterious ally?
    Or...a half-dragon-half-troll blood infused Tenrin?

....Probably not

21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Wouldn't that be metallic dragons, rather than chromatic? The helper being a dragon does open up for some kind of relationship to the Draketooths - the signamancy... I mean, the color scheme, fit, at least!
    I think it's safe to say all dragon relatives of Draketooths are dead because of the Familicide.

Serini may also consider the room(s) being part of Kraagor's Tomb even if they are located elsewhere, especially if the access is through a stable portal/trap.

22. - Top - End - #52

SamuraiGuy

Math, people, do your math.
    When Xykon says "I made a 3/8ths-ling" he implies he destroyed 1/4 of a halfling.
    The cloud of black is not how disintegrate is usually depicted. I'm going with something more along the lines of Horrid Wilting. Fort save for half, would have done around 70 points of damage unless Xykon souped it up with some epic level trick. As a high-level rogue Serini probably has around 3.5 points per level, plus her constitution bonus - so Horrid Wilting would be very close to a one-shot, depending on dice rolls.

Or something else - there's thousands of spells. There may even be one that explicitly destroys 1/4 of someone's body.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Math, people, do your math.
    When Xykon says "I made a 3/8ths-ling" he implies he destroyed 1/4 of a halfling.
    The cloud of black is not how disintegrate is usually depicted. I'm going with something more along the lines of Horrid Wilting. Fort save for half, would have done around 70 points of damage unless Xykon souped it up with some epic level trick. As a high-level rogue Serini probably has around 3.5 points per level, plus her constitution bonus - so Horrid Wilting would be very close to a one-shot, depending on dice rolls.

Or something else - there's thousands of spells. There may even be one that explicitly destroys 1/4 of someone's body.
    Horrid Wilting was what I was coming here to suggest.

24. - Top - End - #54

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Nitpick: Tarquin's LE and his team's been playing the entire continent like a friggin' kazoo. Redcloak's been doing much the same with Xykon, although maybe not as successfully.
    None the less, I opine that the rogue is not Lawful. YMMV.

25. - Top - End - #55

PirateWench

Well the transfusion doesn't seem to have affected her reflexes much. She was pretty sprightly off the stool and up the ladder.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Ok so now I want to see the paladins outplay Serini. Just so she has to endure the humulliation to be fooled by paladins.

Not that this is going to be easy, but those two are the kind who could pull it off.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dragon View Post
    Ok so now I want to see the paladins outplay Serini. Just so she has to endure the humulliation to be fooled by paladins.

Not that this is going to be easy, but those two are the kind who could pull it off.
    I think O-Chul's just going to convince her, but my evidence is all in Good Deeds Gone Unpunished(which is bonus material).

Also Horrid Wilting works better than most, but she looked charred or corroded, not shriveled into jerky.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I kindof wonder if Serini might be evil.
    Hitting defenceless prisoners and providing them with false hope of freedom doesn't exactly scream 'good' at any rate.
    Eh, I'm going to argue Chaotic Neutral at most.

In regards to the hit:

1. The arc of the swing was rather short.
    2. There's no battle damage on Lien in the last panel.

So, it seems like a more playful gesture than anything. Lien's OW was probably more out of shock than actual pain.

In regards to the lie, I'll admit that one's a bit more tricky, but I would imagine she's trying to crack a joke (albeit a rather in poor taste joke) at a Paladin's expense ("Haha, Paladin's are so gullible!"). Probably something she use to do with Soon all the time, given her line in the last panel. If anything, I'd argue bad judgement over evil at this point.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the "BONK" doesn't really imply it was really supposed to do damage.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #60

I'm not saying it's uncharacteristic of Xykon, but it does seem incredibly careless to pull a scry-and-die on an epic level adventurer whose entire life mission is to thwart your goals of capturing a gate, and not even make sure you've killed her.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show