New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1227 - The Discussion Thread

What I'm still wondering is how Xykon would have known to even track down Serini. She looks young in the flashbacks, so this apparently happened a long time ago...

So much important information is in her diary, and it's easy to figure out her identity and about the other Order of the Scribble with it. But without the diary, it still begs the question of how he would know to go after her.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

confused Re: OOTS #1227 - The Discussion Thread

Loving the recent updates.

Is it just me, or is it not a particularly well hidden Troll village, at least given the glimpse we get - seems to be rather out in the open!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And what do we learn from this?
    Not being a murder-hobo is good for your health.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Well this lends weight to the theory that the isolation wasn't actually the policy they went with, just the policy they treated Soon with. Between the bet, the romance, and the "lie to paladins" attitude, we have more concrete evidence that the other gate defenders were in cahoots and contact with each other and left Soon to his own devices.

Kinda sad, to be honest, that none of them seems to have been cordial with Soon.
    I don't think it was intentional, really.
    Dorukan and Lirian might well have agreed with the core plan of keeping the Gates and their defenses independent from each other, but not the "never see your lover again" part.

I don't think they were in contact with Girard and Serini though. I think those two trusted the rest of the party as much as each other. Definitely not Soon.
    Basically a split between the chaotic and the more lawfully inclined parts of the party.

And Soon himself? Paladin. Of course he stuck to the alignment. He'd probably have ignored any attempt to communicate.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Horrific scars. Friends with trolls. Capturing paladins. Toying with prisoners.

Damn. Serini has gone full villain.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    What I'm still wondering is how Xykon would have known to even track down Serini. She looks young in the flashbacks, so this apparently happened a long time ago...

So much important information is in her diary, and it's easy to figure out her identity and about the other Order of the Scribble with it. But without the diary, it still begs the question of how he would know to go after her.
    It did take him a long time for him to find her

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

As for why Xykon didn't finish her off, he was excited.

Don't you get that in games? Just as the plot is taking off and the quests get interesting the players forget to do something because they're so eager to find the next plot point? We know how easily Xykon gets bored and here he had a book of useful information central to his next rampage and filled with juicy secrets.

Make sure the owner is dead? Meh whatever. Sure it's a mistake but it's a mistake that gets made a lot in-game.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I don't think it was intentional, really.
    Dorukan and Lirian might well have agreed with the core plan of keeping the Gates and their defenses independent from each other, but not the "never see your lover again" part.

I don't think they were in contact with Girard and Serini though. I think those two trusted the rest of the party as much as each other. Definitely not Soon.
    Basically a split between the chaotic and the more lawfully inclined parts of the party.

And Soon himself? Paladin. Of course he stuck to the alignment. He'd probably have ignored any attempt to communicate.
    Which just makes this whole "break all contact" situation even sadder. Maybe Serini reached out to warn them all about Xykon, and maybe some of those communications didn't get through. "Hey there's an epic sorcerer Lich headed your way, and he knows EXACTLY where the gates are." would be vital tactical info for any of them.

My money's on us learning even more about what happened to the Scribblers. Maybe not right now, but at some point before the finale.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Further support for the thesis that the spell Xykon cast was Horrid Wilting, is the way it’s depicted (black shadowy cloudy cone) when the Exarch tries to cast it from a scroll, and Belkar disrupts the spell.
    Last edited by Hiro Quester; 2021-02-25 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Belkar was autocorrected to “Bella’s”
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    Further support for the thesis that the spell Xykon cast was Horrid Wilting, is the way it’s depicted (black shadowy cloudy cone) when the Exarch tries to cast it from a scroll, and Bella’s disrupts the spell.
    No, that's just the magical aura that appears when people cast spells; most undead(including the Ex-arch) have black auras. Also Horrid Wilting strips the moisture from creatures, and Serini looks burned or corroded.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Terbovus View Post
    Loving the recent updates.

Is it just me, or is it not a particularly well hidden Troll village, at least given the glimpse we get - seems to be rather out in the open!
    Hidden is relative, I guess?.
    It might just be hard to get to and/or far away from everything.
    And Serini got attacked almost right next to it.

Or maybe it's a hidden troll village, not a hidden troll village. The locals don't hide the settlement, but that they're trolls.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

Perhaps Xykon didn't know that this particular handling was Serini? Until he looted her diary, anyway. Though I can't see Xykon looting some random's nonmagical book. As already noted, he likely that he thought it more funny to think of a Troll village taking her apart, than to spend any extra time killing her himself. He certainly wouldn't think they'd do anything else with her. And Xykon isn't exactly thorough or conscientious.

Perhaps he got distracted by something else that prevented him from making sure she was dead. Perhaps he simply didn't consider her a threat. If you don't make it personal with Xykon, or offend his ego, Xykon will still try to kill you, but he won't put his...well, "heart" is the wrong word...into it.

Though it is odd that, if Serini was carrying a load of magic items like she said (she might've been lying) that he wouldn't have looted them too. There's two parts to that "Kill them and take their stuff" trope, and he likes both. Especially if "they usually have pretty good stuff!"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Those trolls in panel 6... I guess noses do exist in this world after all.

Also, I suppose I should have seen the only Scribbler able to help being the one who can't just do the fight for the OotS. Soon and Kraagor would probably do more damage to the big X, each, and don't even get me started on the casters. Serini is limited, however, because she can't hurt Xykon and they need Redcloak alive to seal the Rifts for good.
    Soon did do heavy damage. Would've killed Xykon and RC single-handedly, despite already being dead himself.
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

13. - Top - End - #103

Divination magic, most likely. We're shown a panel of him trying to visit the Oracle, likely he used somebody else as well. And being a lich it's not like he needs to sleep anymore.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    More or less disturbing that the drawn effects of the disintegrate spell that's been used numerous times in the strip?
    ...I was just saying I found it disturbing. I'm not measuring it against other stuff in the comic. I think that's just because of the... visible flesh.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yep, it's official. I will now be reading the rest of Serini's lines in the voice of old Toph from Legend of Korra. That last panel especially works.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
    Those trolls in panel 6... I guess noses do exist in this world after all.
    I think the scrags that attacked the fleet also had noses.

Soon did do heavy damage. Would've killed Xykon and RC single-handedly, despite already being dead himself.
    And this changes my point how? Granted, being incorporeal probably did do wonders for his ability to keep hitting Xykon.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

And this changes my point how? Granted, being incorporeal probably did do wonders for his ability to keep hitting Xykon.
    It doesn't. I'm just saying, the thing you brought up isn't actually hypothetical.
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    I don't think Xykon would have necessarily thought to soul-bind Lirian if not for sheer spite, but I think it made sense for him to take it as practice for all the Scribblers her killed afterwards—and this is obviously after killing Lirian, so I'm surprised he didn't.
    I don't think it was a habit of his. He only did it to Dorukan to twist his "wanting to be with his woman" not realizing they would be fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Well this lends weight to the theory that the isolation wasn't actually the policy they went with, just the policy they treated Soon with. Between the bet, the romance, and the "lie to paladins" attitude, we have more concrete evidence that the other gate defenders were in cahoots and contact with each other and left Soon to his own devices.

Kinda sad, to be honest, that none of them seems to have been cordial with Soon.
    I'm not so sure, we only have evidence that serini talked to Girard once, and Dorukan and Lirian were already together before. We have no evidence any other contact happened. then again, it's possible Dorukan provided the teleportation trap of Monster Hollow (then again, if my understanding of D&D magic is correct, somebody would be needed to recast the spell regularly right? Then it's not him.)
    Xykon disapeared six years ago and came back with the diary three years ago. Either this is a continuity mistake or Serini kept her brown hair longer than usual. Or maybe she went white prematurely from the trauma of the attack, weirder things have been known to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentarthur View Post
    Horrific scars. Friends with trolls. Capturing paladins. Toying with prisoners.

Damn. Serini has gone full villain.
    Please, she's barely at mischevious neutral level.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Bugbear in the Playground

Serini is the best. Seriously, what a cool character. Feels like something you'd see in a real D&D game, too - "this is my elderly halfling roguen whose been partially transformed by an infusion of troll blood."

I'm kinda surprised that O-Chul didn't state the obvious; simple friendship with monsters oughta be something he knows all about, eh? But then J guess that does set up Serini's great line, out-Gooding the paladin.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Alone View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that O-Chul didn't state the obvious; simple friendship with monsters oughta be something he knows all about, eh? But then J guess that does set up Serini's great line, out-Gooding the paladin.
    He did say it. Just in a overly poetic way.
    Formal. Polite?
    Something like that.
    Just blurting it out wouldn't be him.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Formal. Polite?
    Something like that.
    Yeah, that makes sense.

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed in Lien for not guessing the reason. Bit aof a cynic for a pladin that one...
    Which makes her getting thwacked in the head by Serini in a, "Zen Master corrects pupil," way, quite appropriate. That's how I understood that panel.

I wonder how the beneficial arrangement between Serini and the Trolls even started? Good thing she tried dealing with them as individual sentient entities, inherently worthy of respect.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Which makes her getting thwacked in the head by Serini in a, "Zen Master corrects pupil," way, quite appropriate. That's how I understood that panel.
    Yeah, more like a dope slap than anything.

I wonder how the beneficial arrangement between Serini and the Trolls even started? Good thing she tried dealing with them as individual sentient entities, inherently worthy of respect.
    Huh, good question. Adventurers in the OotSverse who are willing to even talk with monstrous creatures are apparently rare.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Formal. Polite?
    Something like that.
    In fact, O-Chul's approach was actually more insightful in a way.

Just saying "you were friends" only looks at Serini's individual interaction with the trolls.

Saying "simply buying from them is likely more respect than they've ever received from any of us" looks at the broader picture, and acknowledges what life is like for most trolls when interacting with PC races. Recognizing an isolated friendship doesn't take much insight, but O-Chul's outlook is clearly a lot more empathetic.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2021-02-25 at 12:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't think it was a habit of his. He only did it to Dorukan to twist his "wanting to be with his woman" not realizing they would be fine with that.
    …and he only did it to Lirian because he wanted her to watch her body getting zombified, figuring it would offend her as a druid.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    What about under 3.0 rules? Since the attack happened before the Order got to Dorukan's Dungeon the world should still be running on 3.0 rules at that point.
    Yes, I am aware the real answer is "It doesn't really matter".
    3.0 SRD says it "A thin, green ray springs from the character's pointing finger, causing the creature or object it strikes to glow and vanish, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. The character must make a successful ranged touch attack to hit. Up to a 10-foot cube of nonliving matter is affected, so the spell disintegrates only part of any very large object or structure targeted. The ray affects even magical matter or energy of a magical nature but not a globe of invulnerability or an antimagic field. A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is only partially affected. It takes 5d6 points of damage instead of disintegrating. Only the first creature or object struck can be affected (that is, the ray affects only one target per casting)."

So you tell me what happens in 3.0? It only gets the first creature OR object, which means if it hits a creature it should not get any objects, including carried objects. But the creature vanishes, leaving behind only fine dust, so maybe it doesn't leave objects carried.

Who knows? I don't have my actual books handy, which might give more information in the "fluff" not included in the SRD.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Xykon disapeared six years ago and came back with the diary three years ago. Either this is a continuity mistake or Serini kept her brown hair longer than usual. Or maybe she went white prematurely from the trauma of the attack, weirder things have been known to happen.
    You're right, the white hair has to be a side effect of Xykon's attack or the troll's blood. Maybe she looks old now but she's probably still relatively young for a halfling.
    Now that I think about it, the troll's blood explains the green face and limbs but why it's the speech bubble green? Have we seen any kind of troll speaking in the comic before? Is that the way they talk or it's something different that we still don't know about?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pory View Post
    You're right, the white hair has to be a side effect of Xykon's attack or the troll's blood. Maybe she looks old now but she's probably still relatively young for a halfling.
    Now that I think about it, the troll's blood explains the green face and limbs but why it's the speech bubble green? Have we seen any kind of troll speaking in the comic before? Is that the way they talk or it's something different that we still don't know about?
    We have seen a sea troll speak here.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

so how many people called "troll blood"? i'm not gonna scroll through the discussion for the last comic!

her hair resisted xykon's attack better than her flesh though O_o
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

30. - Top - End - #120
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

I wonder how Serini and the MitD will get along if they meet.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."