New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Sorcerer Subclass: Arcane Archer (making it actually feel right, in my opinion)

I've never been thrilled with the Fighter Subclass in 5e. It feels not particularly arcane, and generally lackluster even as a fighter subclass to boot. Too few uses of its special abilities, and too few accessable. To me, an "arcane archer" should be using his bow as a medium for doing unique things with spells. And what better class to master doing unique things with spells than the Sorcerer?

If you want to use this and the Fighter Subclass in the same game, you can give this a different name.

This may be overtuned; I request help checking me on it. Especially for risk of dipping for the first level feature.

Sorcerer Subclass: Arcane Archer
    Alternate title: Blood of Corellon

Raised to the Bow
    You gain proficiency in short bows and long bows.

Arcane Ammunition
    When you make a ranged weapon attack that uses ammunition, also cast a spell of a level no greater than your level in this class with a casting time no longer than one action that either targets a single creature, or creates an area of effect. If you do, your weapon becomes an arcane focus and does not interfere with somatic components, and the ammunition channels the spell, replacing the normal range with that of the ranged weapon. You use Charisma instead of Dexterity for all purposes in the ranged weapon attack. If the spell requires an attack roll, it uses the ranged weapon attack roll, hitting or missing along with the ammunition. If the spell targets a creature, the creature hit is the target (and the spell does nothing if the attack misses, even if it normally doesn't require an attack roll).

Area of effect spells have their point of origin from the ammunition, which you may activate anywhere along its path (so you can fire at a general location within range of the weapon; the DM may call for an attack roll if he deems the shot difficult, assigning an AC to place it where you want, and determining himself where the spell goes off if you miss). If you hit a creature with ammunition imbued with an area of effect spell, you may place the origin of the area of effect anywhere on the creature's body.

Spells which enable multiple attacks (such as magic missile or scorching ray) may be cast in this fashion, but consume a separate piece of ammunition each.

Ammunition used with this feature is destroyed (unless it cannot be, such as an Unbreakable Arrow).

Note: Because the spell does nothing if it misses, this means magic missile loses its auto-hit trait if used with this feature.

Trick Shots
    Starting at sixth level, when making ranged weapon attacks that use ammunition, you can imbue them with your sorcerous power to enable impossible shots. Choose two of the following effects to learn. These can be treated as metamagic for anything that lets you learn, trade, or replace metamagics. You may apply only one to any given attack, unless it says otherwise, though you can apply a trick shot to an attack and a metamagic to a spell imbued on that attack via Arcane Ammunition.

You also can treat metamagic that manipulates the range, targeting, or damage of a spell as a trick shot that alters a ranged weapon attack that uses ammunition in the same fashion (for example, a Distant Trick Shot would double the range of the ranged weapon used). Any effect which increases targets (such as Twin Spell) consumes additional ammunition: 1 per target.

Enchanted Shot (1+ SP): You may choose to use this trick shot after seeing the result of your roll, and may use it in conjunction with other trick shots. For each Sorcery Point you spend, the attack and damage roll gains +1. You may not spend more Sorcery Points than the highest level spell slot you have available.

Seeking Shot (1 or 2 SP): Choose a creature you have perceived within the last minute and spend 1 SP. You gain a preternatural sense of the direction to that creature, and the attack you make with this shot cannot suffer Disadvantage and ignores any cover other than full cover. If you spend 2 SP, the ammunition becomes incorporeal until just before it strikes, ignoring even full cover unless that full cover is provided entirely by force effects.

Spell Trap (1 SP): Spend 1 SP as you use Arcane Ammunition. Instead of releasing its spell upon its target, the ammunition does only its normal damage or only rests where it falls. Once during the next minute, as a reaction, you may release the spell imbued into the ammunition. Instead of the ammunition serving as the point of origin or affecting whatever it's embedded in, the spell is cast as if by you, standing at the ammunition's location, allowing you to choose targeting and range appropriately. Until you cast the spell from the ammunition in this fashion or the ammunition is destroyed, you can perceive obvious things from its position as if using your own senses; you automatically fail any Wisdom(Perception) or Intelligence(Investigation) rolls made from this perspective that have a DC greater than 10. The ammunition disintegrates when the spell is cast or after one minute, whichever comes first.

Subtle Hit (1 or 2 SP): Spend 1 SP as you make the attack roll. If the ammunition hits a creature, the attack deals no damage as the ammunition sinks harmlessly into the creature's body and vanishes. The creature is still affected by any spell imbued via Arcane Ammunition, but unless the spell does damage, no damage is dealt to the creature. Unless the creature succeeds on a Wisdom(Perception) check against your spell DC, it doesn't even notice being hit (though, again, it may notice the effects of any spell imbued into the ammunition). If you spend 2 SP instead of 1 on this trick shot, the attack does deal damage, but its type is converted to psychic. If you do so and the creature fails the Wisdom(Perception) check to notice the attack, its thoughts are clouded by the psychic impact and it doesn't realize you even fired a shot, even if it watched you do so. Nor does it realize it has been injured. If it is reduced to 0 hp by this psychic damage, it automatically stabilizes.

Waypoint Marker (3 SP): This unusual trick shot doesn't do anything special when you fire it. Spend 3 SP when firing the ammunition. Once during the next minute, you can use a bonus action to teleport with everything you are carrying to the ammunition's location, as long as it wasn't destroyed (such as if you shot a metal sling bullet that a rust monster ate). Until you do, you have a sense of the distance and direction to it. This trick shot is generally incompatible with Arcane Ammunition, as that feature destroys the ammunition when the spell effect occurs.

Extra Attack
    At fourteenth level, you attack twice instead of once when you take the attack action on your turn.

Greater Arcane Ammunition
    At eighteenth level, you can cast a spell and, instead of having it take effect immediately, store it in a piece of ammunition. When anybody fires the ammunition from an appropriate weapon, the spell will take effect as appropriate where the ammunition hits or lands. It follows the normal rules for Arcane Ammunition, unless it couldn't normally be used with that feature based on its targeting requirements. If it grants the caster an ability, it instead grants the ability to the target. If it creates an effect such as a teleportation circle or an arcane gate, the effect occurs in the space where the ammunition hits or lands. If additional targeting or positioning details are needed, the one firing the ammunition makes those decisions. The spell otherwise acts as if cast by you.

The ammunition remains imbued with the spell until it is used or 24 hours have passed. You can expend a spell slot of the appropriate level (or higher) from any distance to maintain the imbuement for another 24 hours. You know when the ammunition has been fired and its spell activated, though you do not gain any additional information about the circumstances in which that happened from this feature.
    Last edited by Segev; 2021-02-25 at 08:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Sorcerer Subclass: Arcane Archer (making it actually feel right, in my opinion)

Let's work our way backwards, shall we?

Starting at the level 18 ability. Which basically means the following:
    • Self spells can now be cast on other creatures (though they'll take damage when you do it like this, I assume)
    • Arcane ammunition can now be used with longer casting time spells
    • You can no use it with spells targeting multiple creatures (though the question arises as to how) and other targeting spells, like those affecting objects etc.

Conclusion: decently powerful, but not properly defined. Might need some work, but at level 18, I'm not going to worry too much

Then the level 14, extra attack.
    Interesting to grant it this late, but I don't mind. What I do worry about though, is it's interaction with the level 1 ability. We'll worry about that later though.

Next up, Level 6:
    Interesting take (note that I haven't looked at it in too much detail). But a few things to look at:
    • Treating them as metamagic: a power gamer might be willing to trade em all away to get more normal meta magics (or the other way around, based on perceived strength/goals)
    • Waypoint marker: Please add some maximums on the "everything you are carrying" like most teleport spells do (do people count, how much weight, etc)

And finally, we get to the main feature, level 1:
    • Firstly: Please clear up the wording on Arcane ammunition, especially that first sentence (please split it into multiple statements). But also, does this allow for a spellcast with each attack made (as it currently seems to allow)? As that would make it extremely dip worth and insanely overpowered when combined with say... an Eldritch Knight.
    • Secondly: "Spells which enable multiple attacks (such as magic missile or scorching ray) may be cast in this fashion, but consume a separate piece of ammunition each." ==> Does this mean that a level 1 Magic missile allows me to fire 3 arrows as part of my single attack action? And do they all deal damage? - if so, again extremely over powered
    • Thirdly: Allowing you to pick the target for the area of effect... while nice and cool, also seems rather powerful on top of the attack. I'd limit it to within X feet of your arrow target. Otherwise you can snipe that nasty wizard in the back, while fireballing the horde of minions in the front.
    • Fourthly: At first level you basically get a spell + an attack for your action. And you can do that each turn until you run out of spells (though we have cantrips for that). While cool, this is probably too powerful. Limit it to x times per short/long rest? And I do mean LIMIT
    • Fifthly: Using charisma on the attack seems nice and SAD (single attribute dependent) but as mentioned above, this whole thing is already rather powerful, so adding a little MAD (though a standard sorcerer will already have CHA, CON and DEX) isn't such a bad thing.
    • Lastly: "...cast a spell of a level no greater than your level in this class..." this one is utterly useless, except when used as a dip. As a level 9 arcane archers will be able to use level 9 spells with this feature... while only having up to level 5 spells available. Suggestion: set this to 1/3rd or 1/4th your level in arcane archer instead.

So in conclusion:
    • Level 18 is wonky, but not extremely so
    • Level 14 is cool, as long as it doesn't allow for a free second spell per turn
    • Level 6 seems good, as long as no metamagic-trade shenanigans are pulled
    • Level 1 feels like a good idea, but has MANY issues as currently written
    Help improve my (favorite) 5e homebrews: The Circle of the Full Moon, Items of Darkness and The Unseen Hand (Warlock Patron).
    My old 3.5 homebrews: The Disciple of the gem, the Dragonhearted and my Warlock fix.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Sorcerer Subclass: Arcane Archer (making it actually feel right, in my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Loek View Post
    Let's work our way backwards, shall we?
    By all means. Thanks for the review; I knew this needed a lot of polish, but wanted some feedback to work from.

Starting at the level 18 ability. Which basically means the following:
    • Self spells can now be cast on other creatures (though they'll take damage when you do it like this, I assume)
    • Arcane ammunition can now be used with longer casting time spells
    • You can no use it with spells targeting multiple creatures (though the question arises as to how) and other targeting spells, like those affecting objects etc.

Conclusion: decently powerful, but not properly defined. Might need some work, but at level 18, I'm not going to worry too much
    The intent is more that it allow you to essentially make spell-storing arrows. The casting time is supposed to be unchanged from casting it normally, but you store the spell in the arrow, and now anybody who fires it can make the spell go off where the arrow hits. Good catch on how multi-target spells interact with this; could be done with multiple pieces of ammo again, perhaps, splitting the spell up between them.

Then the level 14, extra attack.
    Interesting to grant it this late, but I don't mind. What I do worry about though, is it's interaction with the level 1 ability. We'll worry about that later though.
    It is late for two reasons. The lesser of the two is that this means multiclassing with a fighter-type puts you only 3 levels ahead for getting your extra attack AND your trick shots. It's not perfect, there, though. The greater reason is exactly the one you're looking at: this is intended to stack with the faster-cast to enable two spells per round.

On a straight sorcerer, this is very powerful, but I don't think overpowered at level 14 if the rest of the chassis isn't doing too much. I fear this might be, still, so it does need work. But this subclass is leaning heavily into the concept of the Sorcerer being the master of finding new and creative uses for his spells.

Next up, Level 6:
    Interesting take (note that I haven't looked at it in too much detail). But a few things to look at:
    • Treating them as metamagic: a power gamer might be willing to trade em all away to get more normal meta magics (or the other way around, based on perceived strength/goals)
    • Waypoint marker: Please add some maximums on the "everything you are carrying" like most teleport spells do (do people count, how much weight, etc)
    They could, yes. They'd have to have the optional feature that lets them trade such things out. I will point out that a level 6+ Sorcerer who uses this to get 2 extra metamagics is probably not that far ahead of other Sorcerer subclasses, since he's neglecting his archery features to get it.

I will look again at level 6 Sorcerer features, but if you had an optional alternate feature that said any Sorcerer could trade their level six subclass feature for +2 metamagics, do you think that would be overpowered?

This is easy to fix, if so; I can just remove the "swap out for metamagic" clause. My intent is to let them mix and match metamagic and these, and that if they buy these at higher level and have buyer's remorse, they aren't more "stuck" than if they'd taken metamagic they regretted.

And finally, we get to the main feature, level 1:
    Yeah, this one's a doozy.
    • Firstly: Please clear up the wording on Arcane ammunition, especially that first sentence (please split it into multiple statements). But also, does this allow for a spellcast with each attack made (as it currently seems to allow)? As that would make it extremely dip worth and insanely overpowered when combined with say... an Eldritch Knight.
    Yes, it is intended to allow a spell with every attack made. I am quite concerned about the dippability of it. That's actually the purpose of (re-ordering here for discussion purposes):
    • Lastly: "...cast a spell of a level no greater than your level in this class..." this one is utterly useless, except when used as a dip. As a level 9 arcane archers will be able to use level 9 spells with this feature... while only having up to level 5 spells available. Suggestion: set this to 1/3rd or 1/4th your level in arcane archer instead.
    This one is meant to be invisible to single-class sorcerers. Its purpose is strictly to limit dipping. My thought process here is that if you're a level 9 sorcerer/level 11 other-caster, you can have the full arcane archery benefits for all your spells. Though, thinking about it, I need to reconsider how and whether this limit interacts with upcast spells. If it doesn't care what slot you use, but only what spell level the original spell is, then Sorcerer 7/(Bard/Cleric/Druid/Wizard) 13 would still let you use this on all your spells.

I thought about limiting it to half your sorcerer level - this would still be invisible to single-class sorcerers, but would mean that more than two levels of another caster class would see your 9th level spell slot never benefit from this feature.

• Secondly: "Spells which enable multiple attacks (such as magic missile or scorching ray) may be cast in this fashion, but consume a separate piece of ammunition each." ==> Does this mean that a level 1 Magic missile allows me to fire 3 arrows as part of my single attack action? And do they all deal damage? - if so, again extremely over powered
    That is what it means. Having it permit multiple arrow shots that all do damage is an unintended consequence I can't believe I didn't catch, myself, so thank you for pointing that out. How this interacts with multi-target spells (scorching ray and magic missile are the two that expressly come to mind, but an upcast charm person qualifies as well) has been difficult to nail down, in terms of how I want it to work as much as anything else.

I will point out that even with it enabling 3 shots with magic missile, it's still costing a level 1 spell slot. That's still a damage boost of an extra d8+cha piercing damage to each magic missile in exchange for having to make attack rolls, which is probably too much.

This also really gets too strong with eldritch blast, if you pick it up by one of any of the methods available to do so. So yeah, this doesn't work as intended as written.

• Thirdly: Allowing you to pick the target for the area of effect... while nice and cool, also seems rather powerful on top of the attack. I'd limit it to within X feet of your arrow target. Otherwise you can snipe that nasty wizard in the back, while fireballing the horde of minions in the front.
    This one, I think you're misreading. Or I wrote wrong. Either way, I need to clarify its language.

What's intended to be going on here is that, if you use this with an AoE spell, wherever the arrow "stops" is the point of origin. If you shoot a creature with a burning hands arrow, you could aim the cone through him to his buddies, or you could (if you wanted to) aim the cone out away from him (at other enemies). Though I should probably remove this language, because while the visual is cool, the fact that you can stop the arrow anywhere in flight to position the origin for the AoE means that you don't need to shoot somebody you don't want to include in it.

To reiterate, the intended use here is to allow you to place the AoE's origin point anywhere within the ranged weapon's range, with a small caveat that the DM might call for an attack roll to see if it actually goes where you wanted it to (and leave it up to him to decide where it goes if you miss...hopefully DMs will use this for reasonable misfires and not try to be "clever" while being adversarial).

What it does NOT do that I think you're asking about is allow you to shoot Bob with an arrow, then put a fireball centered 60 feet away from him. If you shoot Bob with a fireball arrow, Bob is at the origin point for the fireball's AoE.

• Fourthly: At first level you basically get a spell + an attack for your action. And you can do that each turn until you run out of spells (though we have cantrips for that). While cool, this is probably too powerful. Limit it to x times per short/long rest? And I do mean LIMIT
    This is the one I have the most problem with. Limiting it to X uses robs it of ... everything, really. This is one of the key problems with the 5e Arcane Archer as-is: the sharp limit on how often your archery can be arcane makes it feel like you're never going to use the feature. I thought of tying it to expenditure of SP, but that means a level 1 feature doesn't actually do anything until level 2, and since I'm already charging SP for trick shots and they'll still probably want to use metamagic, that overstrains the resource. Making it X times per short rest either won't really be a limit, or will make it a "don't bother" feature because there's always a risk of a bigger spider around the next corner.

This is designed to be a fairly "high offense" subclass, rather than a BFC/buff subclass, though it can do some BFC. But buffing your allies also hurts them, done via this method, unless you pick up Subtle Hit at level 6 and spend the SP to make it do no damage.

[list] Fifthly: Using charisma on the attack seems nice and SAD (single attribute dependent) but as mentioned above, this whole thing is already rather powerful, so adding a little MAD (though a standard sorcerer will already have CHA, CON and DEX) isn't such a bad thing.
    True, but on the other hand, I really, REALLY don't want to make a hexblade dip that tempting. If a subclass becomes "more streamlined" by dipping outside the class, something is very wrong.

So in conclusion:
    • Level 18 is wonky, but not extremely so
    • Level 14 is cool, as long as it doesn't allow for a free second spell per turn
    • Level 6 seems good, as long as no metamagic-trade shenanigans are pulled
    • Level 1 feels like a good idea, but has MANY issues as currently written
    Agreed, and thanks!

I actually do want the level 14 feature to permit a second spell per turn. This is very powerful, but I don't think overly so for a subclass's level 14 feature, when the caster's other features bend towards it. What does concern me is Eldritch Knights dipping Sorcerer for this subclass, and even other level-5-extra-attack classes dipping for cantrips to every attack (which is not limited at all as I have it written, which is a bug). A Gloomstalker dip may also seem more attractive than I'd like.

Maybe make the level 1 feature be, "When you cast a spell, you may also make an attack with a ranged weapon that uses ammunition, and channel the spell through the ammo." (Insert whatever final rules for running that.)

Then, make the level 14 feature be both Extra Attack and "When you make an attack with a ranged weapon that uses ammunition, you may cast a spell with a casting time of no more than one action, channeling it as per [the level 1 feature]."

This still doesn't address multi-target spells, but we might be getting closer.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Maybe an idea in general:

Level 1: multitarget spells are a no go, unless they can all hit the same single target (using a singular arrow to do so)
    Level 14: you can do an additional attack+spell, but this one is limited in uses (allowing you to go a bit nova, but not all the time)
    Level 18: multi target spells are possible, but doing so uses up all your attacks for that action, no matter how many you can make/how many targets there are

And yeah, the level one damage remains a bit... dicey.

Think normal magic missile = 3d4 (no miss chance) or normal bow which is 1d8+mod (which is missable)
    With a single arrow (as suggested above) = 3d4+1d8+mod (which is missable)
    With 3 arrows (as the original writing) = 3d4+3d8+mod (with 3 hit/miss chances)

The second option is already a boost, but with a cost (spell slot or becoming missable). The third option is kinda scary for a first level character.

Also, to limit the gloomstalker tricks (and maybe others), making the use of arcane ammunition it's own action would be best. (I'm thinking about crossbow expert attacks of opportunity and/or handbow extra attacks and such as well). That way you can't increase it with other methods. (Thus making level 14 a 2 parter - 1: extra attack as many others gain at level 5/6 and 2: option to use arcane ammunition twice, but not all that often)

Then, while I'd personally keep their most powerful spells off of the arcane ammunition, doing a level divided by 2 (round up) would indeed limit dipping as well. (that said, I'm still looking at a 9/11 arcane archer/eldritch knight that can throw any and all of their spells on their 3 attacks per round (6 with surge). That'd be freaking terrifying.

Yeah, I misinterpreted the AoE one. I read it as you could release the spell anywhere along the path of the arrow (so between you and the target). Letting things go boom on your target, I'm all for that.
    Help improve my (favorite) 5e homebrews: The Circle of the Full Moon, Items of Darkness and The Unseen Hand (Warlock Patron).
    My old 3.5 homebrews: The Disciple of the gem, the Dragonhearted and my Warlock fix.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

I wonder if level 14 could be "you may use your bonus action to make an attack with a ranged weapon".

This limits the spellcasting to cantrips - lessening the two levelled spells per round risk but also allows a LOT of versatility. Disengage and shoot an arrow/spell, dash and shoot an arrow/spell - it almost becomes like cunning action provided one of the things you want to do is shoot an arrow. Good for the class fantasy of a dexterous mobile sorcerous archer.

Also I get it's called arcane archer, but relaxing this a bit could open up some fun options - dwarf sorcerers throwing axes for example.

6. - Top - End - #6

I'm working on a few variations to try to clean this up. The one I'm thinking of most strongly right now is level 1 letting you make a ranged attack with an ammo weapon when you cast a cantrip. This will let you deny saves and use the weapon to hit to hit a single target, and use the weapon's range for the cantrip. If an AoE, its origin is where the ammo hits. Some language included to allow aiming at a point in space for AoEs. It will take some cleaning up. But if you think of it as letting a single target get no save on save-allowing cantrips, extending the range, and still hitting other targets normally (with the ammo as "focus" for anything determining where the targets are relative to each other), that captures the idea.

Then, at level 6, give them the ability to cast a spell that uses roughly the same rules whenever they make an attack with an ammo weapon. This will have language preventing it from stacking with the level 1 feature (no cantrip->attack->spell), and preventing it from itneracting with a multishot trick shot (that'll count as a single attack, and enable multiple targets for things like eldritch blast or scorching ray or magic missile). Level 6 still gives access to trick shots.

This probably doesn't do much on its own, but if you're using hand crossbows, you could TWF to fire off two spells. Though that does bumble around the existing rules about casting spells as bonus actions, which may need thought and addressing.

Level 14 gives them the extra attack.

A pure Sorcerer of this subclass would thus get two spells off in a round - maybe 3 if they really pushed it with TWF - at level 14. A multiclasser would have the level 6 feature and their level 5 extra attack from another class at level 11, which...I think I'm comfortable with. But it may be overpowered, still.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

A cantrip and a weapon attack in a turn from level 1 is nearly like two weapon attacks, on a full caster. You would be out damaging a rogue at level 1 which is one of the highest damage classes out there.

Would you consider something less exciting? Maybe proficiency in ranged weapons, light armour and the archery fighting style? At level 1 it sets the tone without really introducing new mechanics (although archery fighting style will let you still boost charisma without dropping your to-hit rolls with a bow too much). Also at level 1 a bow/other ranged weapon can be used as an arcane focus.

At level 6 you can start putting spellcasting through arrows. I can see why you would want it early, it's a core part of the class idea but either you have very complicated rules around what you can do or you have weaker and then stronger versions of the ability and it all becomes a bit complicated an inelegant.

8. - Top - End - #8

Hm. Level 1 feature:
    Arcane Archery
    You are proficient with shortbows and longbows.

You can use ranged weapons with the ammunition property as foci for your spells. Many Arcane Archers cause their spells to appear to be ammunition fired from the weapons used in this fashion; normally, this has no effect on the spell itself save visually. However, when you use such a weapon as a focus for a spell, you may choose to make a ranged weapon attack in place of any spell attacks it would permit. This does not change the range of the spell nor its effects, nor does it use any actual ammunition (as the spell becomes the ammunition), but it does change the attribute associated with the roll and permit the use of abilities that interact with ranged weapon attacks.

Questionable possible adendum: Might add the ability to make a ranged weapon attack in place of permitting a saving throw for non-AoE spells. Might save that for level 6.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Different path, and possibly something that needs it's own thread, but throwing it out here as you are someone who also thinks arcane archer should be a sorcerer subclass...

Sorcerers have a theme. Shadow magic, elemental magic, divine etc.. could the arcane archer specialise in attack roll spells?

Level 1 let's you cast a spell that could only target a single enemy using a ranged melee weapon attack roll using a weapon you have equipped instead of a spell attack roll. This would straight up let you use dex instead of charisma for a load of spells, mean you can upgrade your attacks with some magic weapons etc.

Level 6 gives you the archery fighting style and expanded critical range for both spells and weapon attacks.

Level 14 let's you make an attack as a bonus action when you use your action to cast a spell.

Level 18 gives another step up on the expanded critical and let's you make an attack as a reaction against an enemy that casts a spell at you or in an area that includes you.

Sorry, somewhat hijacking this with musings - but something might be useful.