New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: New 3.5E things

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Chimera

Default New 3.5E things

So just converting a bunch of 5E things to add new things to my 3.5E game. And that got me to wonder: is there any new material out there?

Sure the offical game by Wizards is long out of print, and Wizrd does all they can to say that whatever 'new' D&D is out is the only D&D.

I'm fairly sure I have gotten most 3X and Pathfinder in print things from Half Price Books for a couple cents over the last several years. So there is no one printing any 3E/Pathfinder/D20 materials, right?

I think I have at least looked over the Homebrew here on the Playground. Wizards and EN world and most others just deleted all their old content. And few other web sites have much of anything?

So.....is there anything new out there? Maybe not new as in made in 2021, but maybe something new to me? Anyone know any websites with any 3E/Pathfinder/D20 homebrew content that are still active and post new things often?

I follow a couple nice 1E and ORS websites, and blogs that are active and post at least weekly.....but no 3E/Pathfinder/D20 that are still active.

So, is there anything out there?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: New 3.5E things

I can't tell from your post- Are you talking about homebrewing specifically, or anything including homebrewing?

Because new pathfinder1 material is still being developed- drop dead studios, little red goblin games, samurai sheepdog, among others.

But if you are asking about homebrewing specifically, I have no freaking idea, sorry.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

I've seen a handful of new condition 3.5 books in stores when I go looking, new as in still in the shrinkwrap.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

There are half a dozen 3.x tagged threads on the front page of this very homebrew board, right now, in addition to the years and years of archives. I don't know about the EN World, Gaming Den, or other forums that seem to have gone down and up and lost random parts of themselves, bit GitP has held together and only the oldest of archives from before the forum upgrade are lost to my knowledge. There is a staggering, mind-boggling amount of homebrew on this board, if you try to just drink from the firehose.

Bit if you're specifically looking for commercially published content, not much. I get the feeling that most of the 3rd party publishers for 3.x did most of their content before 3.5 was even out, and when 4e came along it was Pathfinder that most people rallied to, and put out book after book of 3rd party content. However, on the front page of this part of the forum, there is a thread about a public playtest for a Pathfinder class that sure sounds like many similar threads that were common for those Pathfinder products, and since I've returned I've been seeing threads about spheres I'd never heard anything about a year or two ago. So there still seems to be Akashic and Spheres stuff coming out. Still, most of the 3rd party Pathfinder stuff can be found online (since it's OGC), and as it's from the age of pdfs, should be still be purchasable online.

If what you're saying is that you want paper hardcopies, yeah I'd say it's a safe bet no one's printing those any more. Pathfinder has apparently decided to move on to a new edition, so while they might have an occasional re-printing of some main book or another just to scoop up high demand sales, maybe, you're gonna need to hunt down used copies if want more stuff on paper. Niche small-team splatbooks might be able to sell themselves as pdfs, particularly if they're passion projects rather than day jobs, but not as hardcopies.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2021-02-25 at 11:19 PM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Pathfinder. It is, for all intents and purposes, an extension of 3.5 material, use it liberally in your 3.5 games, there's no reason not to really, it's all super easy to backport.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

If you just mean new to you there could be a lot: trailblazer, fantasycraft, iron heroes, legends of Excalibur, midnight, and a host of others from back in the day that you might have missed and might enjoy.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

7. - Top - End - #7

Beholder

Oh and one of the companies still making pf1 stuff, Legendary Games, is working on their own PF1.5 Corefinder.

I understand the goal is a streamlined genre neutral base rules so doing CF lovecraftian horror to CF shonen fighting series is easily done.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Chimera

I'm looking for anything.

I'm not looking for a new game. I'm looking for new things I can add to my 3.5E game. Spells, feats, skill tricks, classes, monsters and such.

I have tons of Pathfinder stuff and have....maybe looked over most of the Homebrew here on GITP, at least the stuff that can be found in the compendium or the signature thread.

There is tons of 5E stuff posted at least weekly, and I can convert some of that. Even OSR has a blog or two that post new things weekly.

So, does anyone know of an active 3.5E websites?

Or for that matter, really any active D&D websites?

Or really any RPG active site?

It would be nice to just have a d20 magic item or feat or such that I can just drop into my game. But I'm also looking for ideas. So the RPG does not matter as I can convert, I just need the idea for inspiration.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, have you looked into older third party supplements, as in, books written back in third edition's heyday which weren't published by Wizards? As in, by publishers like Green Ronin Publishing, Malhavoc Publishing, Goodman Games, stuff like that?

I was actually interested in looking for 3rd party stuff myself. One list of stuff I found elsewhere, with assessments of value from the poster...

Adamant Entertainment
    - Hot Pursuit: Chase Rules for DND and d20
    - Hot Pursuit: On Foot: a companion to Hot Pursuit

AEG (Alderac Entertainment Group)
    - Mercenaries
    - Toolbox

Atlas Games
    - Crime and Punishment
    - Dynasties and Demagogues
    - Love and War

Avalanche
    - Noble Steeds: A primer on horses in DND with additional information on other mounts. Also, it is great additional support for the Cavalier's Handbook from Green Ronin which makes reference to it.

Bastion/Dragonwing
    - Airships
    - Alchemy and Herbalists
    - Ink and Quill (free pdf)
    - Torn Asunder: a critical hit system

Blue Devil
    - Poisoncraft: The Dark Art: Alterante Poison Rules

EN Publishing
    - d20 Status Cards
    - Elements of Magic: Revised: Alternate Magic Casting system using skill and feats
    - Elements of Magic: Lyceian Arcana: A supplement for Elements of Magic: Revised
    - Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth: another alternate magic system
    - Tournaments, Taverns and Fairs

Expeditous Retreat
    - A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe

Fantasy Flight Games
    - Seafarer's Handbook

Goodman Games
    - Deluxe Book of Templates Revised: Lots of Templates

Green Ronin
    - Advanced Bestiary: Lots of Templates
    - Cavalier's Handbook: Not a fan of the base class, but the rest of the book is great.
    - Psychic's Handbook : A great alternate system for mental powers with classes for DND and d20Modern
    - Shaman's Handbook: A great Shaman Class and supplement for Shaman's in DND
    - Unholy Warriors Handbook
    - Witch's Handbook: A great Witch Class and supplement on Witches in DND
    - Book of Fiends; (Edit: Lots of Demons, Devils, and daemons) and The Thamaturge class.
    - Book of the Righteous (or the Holy Warriors Handbook (pdf), if you just want the Holy Warrior class)

High Moon Media (pdf)/Monkey God Enterprises (print)
    - From Stone to Steel: A great equipment book that draws off of real world cultures. Good aid if your campaign uses different cultures

Human Head
    - Redhurst Academy: A magical academy

Malhavoc
    - Beyond Countless Doorways
    - Book of Iron Might: My preference over ToB:Book of Nine Swords. Fighter types get lots of cool stuff to do, no need for a new class, lots of sample maneuvers, and a complete system for creating maneuvers (including on the fly)
    - Book of Roguish Luck

Mystic Eye Games
    - Artificer's Handbook: Alternate Magic Item creation rules including a system that does away with XP costs for magic item creation

Skirmisher
    - Experts 3.5: Breaks the Expert class into five subclasses. Lots of info on various skills and optional skill uses. There is also an Expert PC class.

Tricky Owl Bear
    - Behind the Spells Compendium
    There's also the following free stuff from the same link, which has weblinks to the pages that contain them:
    Fewer Absolutes Part 1 (Sean K Reynolds)
    Fewer Absolutes Part 2 (Seank K Reynolds)
    Variant Recharge Rules (Sean K Reynolds)
    Forge Ring Variant (Sean Reynolds)
    Posion as a Spell Designator (Sean Reynolds)
    Continuing Poison Damage (Sean Reynolds)
    Fleshbound Vampire (Sean Reynolds) I think this is in the Book of Templates mentioned above, but without the staking rules.
    Hong's Knight a variant of the OA Samurai by Hong. I use this with the Cavalier's Handbook as support

Same webpage, different poster:

Ptolus (Incredibly detailed city) - Malhavoc Press
    Book of Fiends (demons and devils) - Green Ronin
    Arms and Armor 3.5 (equipment book) - Bastion Press
    Complete Book of Eldritch Might (magic stuff) - Malhavoc Press
    The Banewarrens (adventure) - Malhavoc Press
    numerous Dungeon Crawl Classics (short adventures) - Goodman Games
    Wilderlands of High Fantasy (great setting) - Necromancer Games/Judges Guild
    Bard's Gate (cool city) - Necromancer Games
    Tome of Horrors (many old school monsters) - Necromancer Games
    Wurst of Grimtooth's Traps (traps) - Necromancer Games
    Lost City of Barakus (great adventure/campaign) - Necromancer Games
    Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names (lists of names by ethnicity/including last names) - Troll Lord Games
    The Ultimate Toolbox (lists of just about everything, system-free and amazingly useful - there is also a d20 version with different info) - AEG

A fair amount of this stuff should still be available on DriveThruRPG or similar.

And for completeness, just to cover it off since it hasn't been specifically mentioned: have you looked into finding copies of the old Dragon magazine from 3.0-3.5's run? Paizo held the licence for that whole edition, and there's a fair amount of stuff in there that wasn't brought in officially via Dragon Compendium. You could even look at the companion Dungeon magazine for the same time period.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    I'm looking for anything.

I'm not looking for a new game. I'm looking for new things I can add to my 3.5E game. Spells, feats, skill tricks, classes, monsters and such.
    If you just want new content to try, this class could use some playtesting. Not hardcopy but easy enough to print out.

There's also this cool class by NigelWalmsley which hopefully he doesn't mind me linking.
    Last edited by Elves; 2021-03-09 at 12:37 AM.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

It's not exactly new - but it is 3.5 compatible material that's not widely known:
    Legend RPG - the result of some forum members here trying to make a more balanced version of 3.5.
    The classes are all on the upper part of the power scale (especially martial classes getting a buff - for example melee range defaults to 5 ft + 5 ft per 5 levels (up to 25 ft at level 20)). I haven't extensively played it (only got a group together once, for low-level play), but I think it avoids the most extreme shenanigans pretty elegantly.
    Last edited by Aharon; 2021-03-08 at 03:39 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Beholder

If you like the idea of adding stuff from video games, comic books, and shows, you might want to check out Names Games patreon.

He's produced classes/archetypes, magic items, and races from Baraka's people from Mortal Kombat to a Superman class to adamantium bones magic item.

For extra he'll take suggestions.

I've paid for a combo hitter inspired by King's Avatar, a magic gauntlet/armor inspired by High School DxD, a Dicer class inspired by the Dicer Manhwa, and an Insect Glaive based on Monster Hunter.

I've been toying with suggesting science fantasy classes, a d20 world in which nanites replace magic as the source of weirdness, so you have nanomages who control nanites, cybershamans who entreat AI "spirits," brain hacker "psychics," and 6 million dollar man style cybernaut fighters, that kind of thing.
    Last edited by StSword; 2021-03-08 at 02:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I haven't seen Kingdoms of Kalamar mentioned yet. I particularly like the Salt and Sea Dogs sourcebook; lots of cool ship-building options there, including templates for things like ghost ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II