New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pixie PC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Pixie PC

Ok tonight I couldn't make it to my groups DnD session because my boss scheduled me yesterday w/o my knowing, and I have a sneaking suspicion my current character could have died given we were in the middle of a tough dungeon. To pass the time away I'm thinking if he does die to make a pixie character, we are ECL 8 right now, so I was thinking Pixie Rogue 2/Marshall 2, I don't think my DM minds cross classing. I think with the pixie's high charisma and dex a marshall is a good 2 or 3 level dip for the PC giving me huge potential as being the party face. I am wondering, when I hear of the marshall aura's I only read it as applying them to your allies and not you, but when I read the list of diplomancers they always add a level of marshall for motivate charisma. Is this build fairly good or should would a normal 0LA character do better? Too bad there is no way this character can't go chameleon. Any suggestions for feats/builds/possibilities or what-not to take.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pixie PC

More information on what you want, and what books are OK'd would be good. LA +4 is never fun for a skill-focused creature (as party faces often are.) I'd go pure rogue, but that's just me.

Marshalls auras apply to you as well, as you count as an ally of yourself.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Haha, do you count yourself as an ally for White Raven things in the ToB? Namely the charging stance.

Errr... thread hijack

Pixie have too much of an LA to be all that awesome, having 4 less hit dice than your party will make you unbelievably easy to kill :(

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Try and get LA buyback in as well. It'll mitigate your problems somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Warlock is a good choice for pixies, apparently. Small size, excellent Dex for Eldritch Blast, etc.

According to a certain handbook at Gleemax...

Pixie (Monster Manual 1) by mjung
    I personally like the pixie warlock. Sure, you pay 4 LA, but you more than make up with it with versatility and utter ridiculousness.

Pixie gives you:
    - +8 dex and +6 cha (amongst other stat adjustments)
    - Small size. Harder to hit and easier to hit others
    - 60 foot (good) fly speed
    - Dodge as a bonus feat
    - +1 natural armor
    - DR 10/cold iron, Spell resistance 15+levels and persistent (suppressible) greater invisibility.
    - Some nice SLAs.

This race was made for warlocks. You can fly around, invisible and hurl little eldritch blasts at your enemies. Best thing is, you are virtually guaranteed damage and you are virtually untouchable.

- Because Eldritch Blast is a ranged touch attack, your target gets no armor or natural armor bonuses to their AC.
    - Unless your target can see invis, they further get no dex or dodge bonus to AC and you get a +2 on your attacks against sighted targets.

So let's see...they don't get dodge, dex, armor or natural armor bonuses...they still get um...size...and um...deflection. With +8 to your dex, some BAB, +2 for being invis and +1 for being small, you can virtually guarantee a hit EVERY TIME.

So what about when they strike back? Oh well, first they have to find you (invisible). Then they have to reach you somehow (flying). Then they have to hit you (small size and high dex). Then they have to overcome either your spell resistance or your damage reduction. Not very likely they'll be hitting you much.

You can see where all this is going. Sure, a fighter could dish out more damage in one round. But your steady once per round 7d6 and nigh untouchability will certainly make you a force to be reckoned with. With the right feat selection and items, I truly believe this character would be just about invincible unless the DM specifically is trying to take you down. You can outlast just about anything in the game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SadisticFishing
    Pixie have too much of an LA to be all that awesome, having 4 less hit dice than your party will make you unbelievably easy to kill :(
    Greater Invisibility, High Dex and Tiny size do quite a bit to counteract this.

And Marshal Auras do apply to the Marshal itself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Miniatures Handbook excerpt
    Unless otherwise noted, a marshal's aura affects all allies within 60 feet (including himself)...

Link
    Last edited by Temp; 2007-11-08 at 11:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

MindFlayer

That doesn't answer the White Raven quesiton, I knew Marshals did but.. yeah.

I personally also thought of Warlock when I read pixie - then I realized, they already get Greater Invisibility, on top of very good chance to hit and being very hard to kill. Why waste 4 levels?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SadisticFishing
    That doesn't answer the White Raven quesiton, I knew Marshals did but.. yeah.
    Oh, sorry about that, I was trying to respond to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hario
    I am wondering, when I hear of the marshall aura's I only read it as applying them to your allies and not you
    For ToB, I don't think there's been an official ruling yet. Ruling that you aren't your own ally would be less than unfair, given maneuvers like White Raven Tactics and War Master's Charge.

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

The +init damage on charge stance seems worded to not include yourself, but other than that I'd agree.

Errr, actually, I don't know what you mean by "less than unfair". Less than unfair, like, very unfair? Or like, mostly fair?

The ToB is such a cool book, I wish they'd notice it was the most influencial book to making melee characters playable, and actually proof-read it and posted their damn erratas =\

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Pixies would rule. Make a Ninja Pixie that'd rock :D They are already pretty freakin small and unnoticeable.

I have a Brownie Paladin in my 2nd edition rules, as long as he avoids crushing damage from being stepped on, he can kick serious booty (low HP and all) :D
    The Order of the Sacred Order is on! Feel free to watch if you like! PM if you are interested in joining, I've moved my game away from these moderators -
    Current DM: Me
    Current Campaign: B2 Keep on the Borderlands :D

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I'd probably go straight Rogue. Marshall is nice with the Pixie's Cha bonus, but the LA means that you're far enough behind in levels that splitting your focus by multiclassing will hurt quite a bit. Hmm.. Rogue 3/Marshall 1? That'll give you a second sneak attack die, which is how you're going to be getting most of your damage. If you're concerned about being a face, well, Rogue skill points and a Pixie's Cha bonus are going to give you an excellent Diplomacy check anyway. Adding a Marshall aura to that is going to be improving on something that is already quite functional, and the Marshall level probably won't be giving you much else useful.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon
    Marshall level probably won't be giving you much else useful.
    Multiclass penalties don't help either...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

for flavor, you should try a pixie dread necromancer...you dont see too many fairies running/flying around animating hordes of zombies nowadays
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Rogue is always a good bet with pixies. Their greater invisibility, high dex, and small size means you will be getting a lot of sneak attacks, and because they are not a spellcaster the LA doesn't hurt as much, however the rogue doesn't do much to help the frail pixie not die. Sure invisibility and DR is nice, but if you fight an opponent who can beat those you are screwed.

To that end a pixie makes a great warblade. Their invisibility combined with their dex bonus(and a finessable weapon) ensures their attacks will usually hit, even with their lessened BAB, and the d12 hit die and the defensive manuvers and stances go a long way twords keeping you alive. A few levels of swordsage don't hurt(the sneak attack stance is a good idea), but the hp is really important for that build.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doresain View Post
    for flavor, you should try a pixie dread necromancer...you dont see too many fairies running/flying around animating hordes of zombies nowadays
    I'm imagining Tinkerbelle perched on the rotting shoulder of a shambling zombie.

Yes.

I think I have a new BBEG now.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    I'm imagining Tinkerbelle perched on the rotting shoulder of a shambling zombie.

Yes.

I think I have a new BBEG now.
    your welcome?
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior

17. - Top - End - #17

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Try and get LA buyback in as well. It'll mitigate your problems somewhat.
    Even then, the way LA buyback works he can't start it until lvl12 :-/

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Actually that pixie is too great to pass up and I needed a sub-boss for a dungeon. Won't the PCs be surprised.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Pixies make HORRIBLE warlocks, actually. The LA further nerfs the Warlock's very lackluster damage, and the main draws of the pixie are flight and invisibility... which the Warlock will eventually pick up anyway!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reel On, Love View Post
    Pixies make HORRIBLE warlocks, actually. The LA further nerfs the Warlock's very lackluster damage, and the main draws of the pixie are flight and invisibility... which the Warlock will eventually pick up anyway!
    all the more reason not to waste the invocations on them, and pick up something better

-The 13th Warrior

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

AssassinGuy

all the more reason not to waste the invocations on them, and pick up something better
    If you think trading 4 class levels for 2 invocations is a good deal, I've got a bridge in space I'd like to sell you.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

well if youre going to be playing a warlock in the first place, better to be saving your invocations for something else if you can use said abilities at will (and potentially better)

-The 13th Warrior

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

AssassinGuy

well if youre going to be playing a warlock in the first place, better to be saving your invocations for something else if you can use said abilities at will (and potentially better)
    ...therefore, you should get some LA to delay your invocation level and progression?

No. Pixies make crappy Warlocks. Sure, they won't die, but no one will care because they contribute, like, 2d6 a round when everyone else is doing stuff.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    Even then, the way LA buyback works he can't start it until lvl12 :-/
    Actually, he can't buy back the first LA until ECL 16. And the second buyoff is epic.

A Pixie Warlock really is pretty suboptimal, at higher levels you could have those abilities plus some, At lower you aren't doing enough damage to really be helping your party.

Since you are always invisible, rogue works much better. First of all, evasion helps. Secondly, you can add a little bit of Str damage, weapon damage, and enhancement damage. (Not much, but better then nothing.) And secondly, you can Rapid Shot, and eventually get extra attacks. Sure you aren't hitting touch AC. But you are getting multiple attacks that all do more damage then a Warlocks blasts.

25. - Top - End - #25

Zombie

There must be a reason for that. But I can't think of one. If he gets tired of flying, he could furnish out some animated large creature and be carried in style (in skull)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khanderas View Post
    There must be a reason for that. But I can't think of one. If he gets tired of flying, he could furnish out some animated large creature and be carried in style (in skull)
    For PCs, it's probably because LA are horribly damaging, especially for a casting class like Dread Necromancer. For NPCs, it's cause Pixies are always Good, and incompatible with being Necromancers of any sort (thanks to the decision of Wizards to make Animate Dead and similar spells [Evil].) Doesn't make the image any less cool, but you have to have a pretty twisted Pixie to make it a necromancer.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Rogue (or other sneak attacking class) is the obvious choice, which can be combined with a level of sorcerer or wizard to qualify for Arcane Trickster.

Just stay far away from Spirit Shamans!
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow, seriously? I mean, +4 LA will lose you those two invocations (and more). Your two highest-level invocations. Seems bad.

Actually, I recommend against playing a pixie. It's no fun. Every encounter basically comes down to one of two options:

Aww man, they have see invisibility/blindsight/true seeing/whatever? I lose. This +4 LA character sucks.

OR

Party: They can't see/reach the pixie? What the hell are we doing here? We leave and let the pixie deal with it.

Pixie: I slaughter them all mercilessly. They can't hope to retaliate, can we fast forward this combat?

At least, this is my experience in playing a pixie.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Pixie PC's are, generally speaking, a bad idea...as has been mentioned, they're either too good or too bad...win or lose, no middle ground...my advice, if you wanted to play a Sprite would be to play one of the "Pixie-Lites", either a Nixie or a Grig...both get some cool SLA's and abilities, but neither has that 'win-or-lose' aspect that the Pixie has...true, they're both somewhat more challenging than a Pixie to play, but surely that can only be a good thing...
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Reel On, Love View Post
    Pixies make great Gestalt Warlocks, though, if you put the LA on the non-Warlock side. (refer to: Pixie Warlock 15 // LA +4 / Marshal 1 / Rogue 10)

Plus, don't forget that you're getting more than just the greater invisibility and the (non-dispellable) flight, you also get impressive spell resistance (15 + HD), good across-the-board stat increases (except for -4 STR), damage reduction 10/cold iron, and some skill bonuses.

Eldritch Glaive + Sneak Attack + Combat Reflexes + Weapon Finesse = pretty impressive damage potential. Even a non-gestalt pure Warlock of that build does OK at level 11 (ECL 15) -- 2 near auto-hit touch attacks per round for 5d6 damage + eldritch essence effect, plus threaten 10' for AoOs, and potentially a lot of them, high SR, good DR (unless the opponent happens to have cold iron), decent AC with good items and high DEX.

The only thing you'd really have to worry about is spell resistance (the gestalt version doesn't, that's what the Marshal level is for). And, of course, it only works at higher ECLs.
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2007-11-09 at 03:49 PM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota