New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default +2 to CHA or DEX at Level 12 ASI for Shield Master Paladin (or feat?)

My party is leveling up to 12 and here are my shield master paladin's relevant stats:
    STR +5
    CON +4
    DEX +1
    CHA +2
    With the ASI at 12, should I take +2 to CHA or DEX OR possibly take another feat? Here's the rest of the story:

I'm playing a Triton Oath of Ancients Paladin in a sea-themed campaign. He was developed later in the campaign (long story) and he's an absolute beast. I felt like half the party would fall in every decently challenging battle we had, so I wanted a guy who wouldn't fall so easily and who could heal others. He's got a 21 AC (full plate 18, Defense fighting style +1, Shield +2) In addition, the Ancients level 7 pally's aura gives resistance to him and those within 10ft from all spell damage. I took the Shield Master feat which gives me even more protection (55 damage from a fireball? No thanks.) This guy just wades untouched through hordes of minions because they will almost always miss with their opportunity attacks and/or he'll just knock them down. Again, he's a BEAST!

His STR is maxed out and he's got enough CON, so I'm trying to figure out if I should give him more DEX or CHA. A DEX boost would help mostly just my character, giving him a better initiative and it works better with the Shield Master saving effects. A CHA boost helps others with his Aura of Protection and helps with some spells, which I haven't been using as much. This is my first time playing a paladin and I'm having a good enough time hitting things and using spell slots for Divine Smite for extra damage, but maybe I'm missing something by not using some of these spells. I have used Blinding Smite, Misty Step, and Revivify but none of those impose saving throws, so maybe a CHA boost doesn't make as much sense.

Right now I'm leaning towards CHA because even if I don't need it for spells, I do want to help out the rest of the party, but I'm already giving them a +2 on saves, maybe an extra +1 doesn't matter that much? Also maybe I want to figure out how to use my spells better.

Lastly, is there a feat I should get instead? I've got a decent magic sword (flame tongue, +2d6 DMG) and Improved Divine Smite (+1d8 DMG on every hit) already, but even more martial skill might be fun. Maybe I go for Sentinel? Do you think that is worth it for what I'm trying to do with this guy over just taking an ASI? Anything else come to mind?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: +2 to CHA or DEX at Level 12 ASI for Shield Master Paladin (or feat?)

I will recommend that you boost the Paladin's Charisma so that their aura will benefit the team a little bit more. Also, some spells like Command will be a little more effective since the save DC will have improved.

If you are the party tank or front liner, the temptation to choose Sentinel is great, and I'd say that's not a bad choice if that's your party role.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-02-27 at 02:51 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: +2 to CHA or DEX at Level 12 ASI for Shield Master Paladin (or feat?)

I'm not sure what dex would do for you here. Boosting Charisma gives you the same bonus to dex saves, and an extra +1 to initiative isn't that big of a deal, usually.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Charisma. Don't think, just do it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sentinel seems like the best pick to me because your motive to build the character seems to have been tanking, as per your line:
    I felt like half the party would fall in every decently challenging battle we had, so I wanted a guy who wouldn't fall so easily and who could heal others.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Composer99 View Post
    Sentinel seems like the best pick to me because your motive to build the character seems to have been tanking, as per your line:
    Good call.
    (By the way, I just looked up Nigeria, HMS, and am all confused since I thought CA was for Heavy Cruiser, and CL was for Light Cruiser, and I am now dying to know what board game that token is from in your avatar).
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Good call.
    (By the way, I just looked up Nigeria, HMS, and am all confused since I thought CA was for Heavy Cruiser, and CL was for Light Cruiser, and I am now dying to know what board game that token is from in your avatar).
    Spoiler: Tangent
    Show
    That particular token comes from the computer game version of World in Flames, a hex-and-counter strategic/operational-level WW2 game. WiF uses "CA" as the abbreviation for heavy cruisers. (I picked Nigeria because she's the ship my grandfather served on during the war.)
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maus91 View Post
    Lastly, is there a feat I should get instead? I've got a decent magic sword (flame tongue, +2d6 DMG) and Improved Divine Smite (+1d8 DMG on every hit) already, but even more martial skill might be fun. Maybe I go for Sentinel? Do you think that is worth it for what I'm trying to do with this guy over just taking an ASI? Anything else come to mind?
    Who else is in melee with you?
    I Have a Sorcadin about your level Pal6/Sor4 and she just took Sentinel because she acquired a flame tonque weapon. But shes usually in melee with the Barbarian and sometimes the rogue. Or hanging back to protect the squishy wizard and sorcerer from mobs of enemies. So Sentinel gets triggered quite frequently. So I can certainly recommend Sentinel but you have to ask yourself how often are you in melee with foes who attack someone else.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

9. - Top - End - #9

My party is leveling up to 12 and here are my shield master paladin's relevant stats:
    STR +5
    CON +4
    DEX +1
    CHA +2
    With the ASI at 12, should I take +2 to CHA or DEX OR possibly take another feat? Here's the rest of the story:

I'm playing a Triton Oath of Ancients Paladin in a sea-themed campaign. He was developed later in the campaign (long story) and he's an absolute beast. I felt like half the party would fall in every decently challenging battle we had, so I wanted a guy who wouldn't fall so easily and who could heal others. He's got a 21 AC (full plate 18, Defense fighting style +1, Shield +2) In addition, the Ancients level 7 pally's aura gives resistance to him and those within 10ft from all spell damage. I took the Shield Master feat which gives me even more protection (55 damage from a fireball? No thanks.) This guy just wades untouched through hordes of minions because they will almost always miss with their opportunity attacks and/or he'll just knock them down. Again, he's a BEAST!

His STR is maxed out and he's got enough CON, so I'm trying to figure out if I should give him more DEX or CHA. A DEX boost would help mostly just my character, giving him a better initiative and it works better with the Shield Master saving effects. A CHA boost helps others with his Aura of Protection and helps with some spells, which I haven't been using as much. This is my first time playing a paladin and I'm having a good enough time hitting things and using spell slots for Divine Smite for extra damage, but maybe I'm missing something by not using some of these spells. I have used Blinding Smite, Misty Step, and Revivify but none of those impose saving throws, so maybe a CHA boost doesn't make as much sense.

Right now I'm leaning towards CHA because even if I don't need it for spells, I do want to help out the rest of the party, but I'm already giving them a +2 on saves, maybe an extra +1 doesn't matter that much? Also maybe I want to figure out how to use my spells better.
    A +1 to all saves always matters, and is certainly better than a Dex boost for yourself, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

10. - Top - End - #10

STR +5
    CON +4
    DEX +1
    CHA +2

How is your DM ruling the bonus action shove for shield master? That can provide a lot of control in and of itself.

As far as spell go don't sleep on wrathful smite on anything not immune to fear, ensnaring strike on anything with a low str score, and plant growth is a big reduction in speed for anything that can't avoid the 1:4 ratio speed reduction. Those two bonus action spells are standouts because they require straight ability checks to get out of them and not saves. Wrathful even gives disadvantage on that check so it one of the best save-or-suck level one spells in the game. It's only weakness is fear immunity.

*Edit- forgot to mention those two smite spells also require an action to break out of rather than the standard save at beginning/end of turn. Action dental is the best form of protection for your party.*

All n all I would vote +Cha or a cha half feat depending on what material is in play and if you are at an odd value.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2021-03-01 at 07:50 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

+2 CHA is the smart choice, but boring. I'd prefer something that added to my tool kit like Sentinel.

Some other options:
    Mounted Combatant (with Find Greater Steed = my favorite)
    Lucky
    Alert
    Mobile
    Skill Expert (for athletics expertise for shield shoving)

12. - Top - End - #12

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    +2 CHA is the smart choice, but boring. I'd prefer something that added to my tool kit like Sentinel.

Some other options:
    Mounted Combatant (with Find Greater Steed = my favorite)
    Lucky
    Alert
    Mobile
    Skill Expert (for athletics expertise for shield shoving)
    Agreed that Charisma is the smart choice, even more so if the OP has a 15 and can use a 1/2 feat. I'm a bit surprised the OP doesn't seem to value it more.
    Skill Expert or a level in Rogue would 'stack' more with Shield Expert. Sentinel is good, but works better with PAM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Composer99 View Post
    Spoiler: Tangent
    Show
    That particular token comes from the computer game version of World in Flames, a hex-and-counter strategic/operational-level WW2 game. WiF uses "CA" as the abbreviation for heavy cruisers. (I picked Nigeria because she's the ship my grandfather served on during the war.)
    Cool. This may be a RN versus USN distinction, but I seem to remember that in WW II, the distinction between light cruisers and heavy cruisers was often based on armament: 8" guns were usually on heavy cruisers and 6" guns were usually on light cruisers. (I note that Nigeria had 6" guns).

But I wonder if the actual nomenclature differential was in displacement. (Chances are, that's where my confusion starts ...)
    Spoiler: Grandpa
    Show
    My grandpa was a gunners mate in the war before that and I now have to dig into old notes from my mother regarding the ship he served on, I think he made the crossing over to Europe in time for the Nov 11 Armistice to be signed within a week
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-03-01 at 03:59 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

There's this cool feat paladins can take where they give themselves and all allies within 10' an additional +1 to all their saves.

It's call +2 CHA
    Last edited by 1Pirate; 2021-03-02 at 01:57 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 1Pirate View Post
    There's this cool feat paladins can take where they give themselves and all allies within 10' an additional +1 to all their saves.

It's call +2 CHA
    Not quite true. You actually get +2 to your Charisma saves.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 5eNeedsDarksun View Post
    Not quite true. You actually get +2 to your Charisma saves.
    Ah, Touche`

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

+2 cha, sentinel, or something to shore up concentration saves (resilient con or war caster) are all valid choices here. I'd personally lean towards the charisma boost, but any of those would be good.

18. - Top - End - #18

Charisma.
    If you really care about initiative, then choose one of the following
    Alert: +5 initiative and you don't need to worry about surprise ever again

Fey Touched (Tashas): Choose Gift of Alacrity for your 1st level spell. 8 hours, adds +1d8 to initiative, and +1 to Charisma base score. Not concentration

And get a sentinel shield. Advantage on initiative is nice, as well as on perception. And it's an uncommon non attunement!

That's how my 10 dex paladin is able to go first most of the time in combat.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2021-03-05 at 09:24 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Thanks everyone for your feedback - I'm an idiot, of course, and was forgetting that the ASI for Charisma would also affect my DEX saves, which is half of what I wanted a DEX boost for (the other reason was for a greater bonus to initiative, but I can live without that). Thank you to all those who pointed that out and for NOT making me feel stupid for forgetting it!

I ended up taking the CHA boost a just realized that with this character, I've become more of a min/max-er. This guy is certainly effective, but not as fun to play outside of combat. Inside of combat he is out of control. He regularly deals 40+ damage per turn and draws attacks away from the squishier members of the party. He goes toe-to-toe with any boss and has only once come close to dying, but then he just healed himself and jumped right back into the fight. That's fun too, but I'm going to have to start working more with his personality.

Anyway, thanks for all your feedback guys!