New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Not the intended use: Fighting initiate Unarmed fighting on a monk

Is this actually a good idea? What I am looking at is that this is a damage increase until 11th level and makes fighting without weapons more viable until then (better since it applies to your bonus action attacks) and can swap out the fighting style once you get to 12th for blind fighting or interception or protection, which are all useful after that.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Not the intended use: Fighting initiate Unarmed fighting on a monk

I'd give it a 3/5. It's a nice boost earlier on and the fact you can swap fighter styles makes it flexible depending on the direction you go.

It losses one star because unless you are playing to the aesthetics of only using unarmed strikes it's a pretty small damage boost. The new dedicated weapon feature also weakens it.

The second star is loss just due to how ability score driven the monk is. Assuming point buy or SA, taking this means delaying dex which is also more damage while also increasing hit chance and the laundry list of other things.

Overall I would say take it if you want but it isn't a massive boost. Blind fighting for shadow and Archery for SS kensei are the exceptions I see.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2021-02-27 at 05:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    I'd give it a 3/5. It's a nice boost earlier on and the fact you can swap fighter styles makes it flexible depending on the direction you go.

It losses one star because unless you are playing to the aesthetics of only using an armed strikes it's a pretty small damage boost. The new dedicated weapon feature also weakens it.

The second star is loss just due to how ability driven the monk is. Assuming point buy or SA, taking this means delaying dex which is also more damage while also increasing hit chance and the laundry list of other things.

Overall I would say take it if you want but it isn't a massive boost. Blind fighting for shadow and Archery for SS kensei are the exceptions I see.
    Just to make sure I follow:

Take v.human Fighting Initiate: Unarmed, which improves your damage output from 1-3, and maybe to 7 or 11 for Open Hand, Drunken Master, Mercy, and Astral Self.
    If Shadow (or in a heavy-obscurement party), trade for blind fighting at 4 (and compare to Alert; both have advantages).
    If Kensei, trade for Archery at 4.
    Otherwise, it's not clear what remaining FS was worth the opportunity cost of taking a better feat as v.human.

Yes?

Aside: while Unarmed is made less exciting by the Tasha's optional features, the Dueling fighting style gets *better* with Ki-Fueled Attack once Martial Arts catches up with your versatile weapon (since you'll often get a Dueling BA attack).

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by x3n0n View Post
    Just to make sure I follow:

Take v.human Fighting Initiate: Unarmed, which improves your damage output from 1-3, and maybe to 7 or 11 for Open Hand, Drunken Master, Mercy, and Astral Self.
    If Shadow (or in a heavy-obscurement party), trade for blind fighting at 4 (and compare to Alert; both have advantages).
    If Kensei, trade for Archery at 4.
    Otherwise, it's not clear what remaining FS was worth the opportunity cost of taking a better feat as v.human.

Yes?

Aside: while Unarmed is made less exciting by the Tasha's optional features, the Dueling fighting style gets *better* with Ki-Fueled Attack once Martial Arts catches up with your versatile weapon (since you'll often get a Dueling BA attack).
    That about sums it up.

For ranged monks in general I would say Archery is a nice perk lv 1-20 but not really vital. More of a feel good option because missing attacks is never fun and the +2 works really work with focused aim.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Is the 1d4 grapple damage to small to matter?
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #6

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    Oh, I forgot that part. That's a nice bonus for Astral and Mercy (Athletics (Wis) and poisoned, respectively). Note that taking the FS as a feat denies a good way to get expertise in Athletics (Skill Expert/Prodigy). 1d4/round is not a lot though, and it can't "crit".

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    It's a flat 1d4 once a round and the only real reason I'm not terribly angry at it is it an extra concentration check you can impose due to being independent.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

8. - Top - End - #8

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    That about sums it up.

For ranged monks in general I would say Archery is a nice perk lv 1-20 but not really vital. More of a feel good option because missing attacks is never fun and the +2 works really work with focused aim.
    V.human Sharpshooter to Kensei 5 or 6 seems like a really good place to dip Fighter 1 for Archery if you're playing with Focused Aim and Ki-Fueled Attack.