New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Could use some advice for a Warforged War Hulk Juggernaut

So I'm working on a character concept for a friends campaign but am needing some advice on how to go about it. He's planning to let me make the Warforged large for the cost of +1 LA but not giving me the stat boosts that normally come with it (the +8 str, +4 con, armor bonuses, etc). We tried to find some other workaround but all our hunting about the net is just not finding any simple way to make a large warforged otherwise so this seems to work.

I'm also planning to play Vow of Poverty. As you can likely tell this is not a min/maxed character, despite the generally pretty nasty PrC of War Hulk. The warforged despises people for various reasons so has simply decided not to use their things or anything they create, the sole exception being a non-magic weapon left to him by his maker.

So some of the questions I'm running into now are how to work this character out. I'm obviously going to need to play a full BaB class in order to get into the PrC's at level 6, since they both require a BaB of +5 and I don't want to wait until level 8 to start them. I'm not sure the best base class to go for on this one though. I was thinking a simple fighter for the extra feats to make life easier? The question also comes up of which PrC to aim for first, the juggernaut or the hulk? Both have bonuses that are obviously good, but one of them is going to have to come much later in the game, either starting juggernaut at level 16 or hulk at level 11. It also means I'm going to miss out on the final level of one of these two PrC's...which is sad. Both of the final levels are really good, not sure which way to go at all.

I'm not interested in going all munchkin on this (is this even a particularly viable build? I love the idea of it but it may not actually be great...) but I would certainly like the character to be as playable as possible, you know? Any advice would really be appreciated.

As an aside, I am seriously trying to find some way to get troll blooded on this thing (would really make this the slow, plodding unstoppable wall of metal) but am not sure it's possible...fighter would let it work since I get a bonus feat, could get toughness. Problem them is Adamantine Body since that's another level 1 only feat. Not sure the DM allows a flaw feat.
    Last edited by sutasafaia64; 2021-02-27 at 08:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Could use some advice for a Warforged War Hulk Juggernaut

VoP
    I just want to point out that you as melee character will be lacking access to fly as VoP character. Take this into account. If your team can get around this (e.g. someone casts fly on you or they fight alone), it is fine. Keep this is mind if you really should go for VoP.

Warforged becoming Large
    If you are interested into "normal" ways to temporary become large as warforged there are 2 items.
    The warforged only "Behemoth Belt" lets you become one size larger for 5min./day.
    The Ring of Growth lets you become one size lager (note: size effects don't stack!) for 9min./day.

If you go for a Large character, why not go for a Knockback (feat) build?
    Combine with Blood-Spiked Charger feat for extra fun. Smash you Spiked Shield into your enemies and send them flying.

Maybe go for Whirlwind Attack?

I would suggest depending on the build (and the amount of feats) either Fighter or Warblade/Crusader as base class.
    Dip Barb ACF for pounce. Since most warforged where build as barbarian in the last war this is always a good excuse to dip it at fist level and never go back^^.

And you want to avoid munchkin and go for troll-blooded at the same time?^^ sry, makes me laugh here xD

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

The party will have a way to work around the flight issue, that isn't a big problem. And yes, considering warforged can't heal naturally over time, and the fact that I'm going to become immune to healing spells, having a way to regenerate life is kind of important. The VoP thing is definitely going to happen which means I won't be healing myself with wands/items either. Considering I won't be taking treasure the party could always pick up some repair wands for me but I can't always rely on that in the middle of melee. Not to mention the interraction between juggernaut and troll blood is pretty great.

I wasn't kidding when I said I would be avoiding going full munchkin, a VoP fighter is not exactly going to be that crazy, but I'm at least going to try and make myself silly tanky by becoming immune to a lot of damage :P

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

I would recommend the Dragonborn template for your Warforged. Gives you Dragonblooded.
    With that you can now have fun with "Draconic Aura: Vigor" (feat) to get a fast healing aura up to half of the creatures max. hp. Will always heal you and your allies up to half max hp.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The bear totem barbarian picks up Toughness as a bonus feat. So Bear Totem Barbarian 1/Fighter 4 would allow you to pick up Adamantine Body, Troll-blooded, and Toughness at level 1.

In terms of order, I'd go with Juggernaut first for survivability.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Neat idea but the dragonborn thing doesn't really fit the character at all. Definitely saving that one for later though, I have a Dragonfire Adept I like playing and that would be a good template to just sorta toss on at some point for flavor, especially since he does worship Bahamut.

That barbarian thing works out great though, thank you :) fixes a few problems. I feel like I must be seriously having a brain fart though... Level 1 grants a feat, Bear barb or fighter grants toughness, where am I getting the third feat from?
    Last edited by sutasafaia64; 2021-02-28 at 03:27 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sutasafaia64 View Post
    "...where am I getting the third feat from?"
    Oops---I'm used to applying it to humans.

It seems tricky to manage without flaws.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I will have to see if there's a flaw feat allowed I suppose, I see no other way.

I also am considering dropping War Hulk. It's a nice area attacker but I'm more tempted to do something like Fighter 1/Crusader 4/WJ 5/Crusader X. Maybe turn the character into an area controller considering their massive reach with a spiked chain. Might be more effective than a hulk smash style character since WJ is already a pretty defensive based class.
    Last edited by sutasafaia64; 2021-02-28 at 06:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sutasafaia64 View Post
    I will have to see if there's a flaw feat allowed I suppose, I see no other way.

I also am considering dropping War Hulk. It's a nice area attacker but I'm more tempted to do something like Fighter 1/Crusader 4/WJ 5/Crusader X. Maybe turn the character into an area controller considering their massive reach with a spiked chain. Might be more effective than a hulk smash style character since WJ is already a pretty defensive based class.
    Pounce + Whirlwind Attack + Knockback + Shock Trooper

Charge, deal dmg and pile your enemies up somewhere. Combine with domino rush to get free trip attempts.

Further combine Knockback with Combat Reflexes and your high reach to prevent enemies from approaching you(r teammates).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Lol not munchkining but troll blooded + warforged juggernaut (level 2 immunity to non-lethal) = can only take damage from fire and acid, immune to all other damage. If you use flaws you can get toughness and troll blooded.
    Railak Sventar
    Apostle of Destruction
    4th Herald of the Aphotic Cataclysm
    The World's Ruin
    The Wake of Chaos

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Well there is a printed large warforged.. warforged charger. +4LA and 4HD is real harsh though.

Maug have two RHD and 3 LA and are also large, so more manageable.

War Hulk is okay in general. Hitting things hard is nice, but is a one-trick pony.