New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb Help me build/optimize my new PC (3.5)

We are starting a new campaign again on d&d3.5e. I rolled 15/13/13/13/9/5 and i need advice with those scores to build my PC a bit stronger and optimized till lvl6. The DM allows DMG, PHB, MM core races/classes/feats etc. but NOT multiclass/prestige/flaws. I was thinking human druid with 5str/13dex/13con/13int/15wis/9cha. Feats: lvl1:spell focus conjuration, augment summoning. Lvl3 improved initiative or combat casting Lvl6:natural spell. Help me optimize it or if you have a better idea or concept for different class and race plz share it with me. Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Help me build/optimize my new PC (3.5)

I'd move the dex into charisma personally, you can play a druid with all bad physical scores and just wild shape it away.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

All of your ability scores are odd numbers, so start out old age which gives you -1 Str, Dex, Con, and +1 Int, Wis, Cha. That would start you out at Str 4, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 10 instead.

Combat Casting is a waste, Skill Focus: Concentration is almost always going to be better. Improved Initiative is still good, and everything else looks fine for a core build.

Quote Originally Posted by Roninblack View Post
    I'd move the dex into charisma personally, you can play a druid with all bad physical scores and just wild shape it away.
    Still need decent Con, after the PHB errata your current/max hp doesn't change if our wild shape form has a different Con score than your character.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you can't or don't want to spend all your time wild shaped make sure you're ok with the penalty that 4-5 strength give you. Especially if your DM looks at carry capacity. 13-16 lbs is very little even with a bag of holding or a mule around. If you go for a middle aged druid you could instead go for 8 strength and 6 charisma instead.
    Last edited by Gorthawar; 2021-02-28 at 03:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Talked with my dm and i aged my PC now i have 4str. I will have a quarterstaff as a walking stick and a riding dog as a helping/emotional support dog. Although i still i can't figure out what is trained for war and how to do it. I don't want to switch charisma with str cause i feel it will diminish the feature of wild empathy and the skill of animal handling/training of my pet.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I believe the phrasing of "trained for war" is a holdover from the handle animal skill in 3.0 where it was plausibly allowed as either a DC 15 or DC 20 skill check and 2 months training.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by frankbelmont View Post
    Talked with my dm and i aged my PC now i have 4str. I will have a quarterstaff as a walking stick and a riding dog as a helping/emotional support dog. Although i still i can't figure out what is trained for war and how to do it. I don't want to switch charisma with str cause i feel it will diminish the feature of wild empathy and the skill of animal handling/training of my pet.
    See the Combat entry for a Riding Dog:

"If trained for war, these animals can make trip attacks just as wolves do (see the Wolf entry)."

Basically, it means to get one that gets the Trip special attack that a Wolf has. It doesn't cost you anything extra to just say it's trained that way. It adds its Str bonus to the check, the wolf says it gets a +1 because it has Str 13, but a riding dog has Str 15 (plus animal companion benefits and any buffs you cast on it) so its trip check bonus will be higher.