New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: RPG's where shapeshifting is worthwhile

While not terribly integral to the plot (you could do the entire quest without doing it, and the Companion quest line only doing it once), Skyrim has a really FUN shapeshifting in the werewolf, once you learn the limitations of it. I can spend an enjoyable evening just running through bandits and Forsworn, eating hearts and leaving destruction in my wake.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Greywolf View Post
    Jade Empire - my top pick, the forms you shapeshifted into had an entire fighting style based around them and you could switch mid-fight
    On top of that some of them were really powerful and, notably, allowed you to steamroll a mid-game major boss due to bypassing his unique mechanics.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

I find my Thief type characters in Skyrim often going werewolf, just because they're not the best at stand up combat and being able to turn into a giant wolf thing and either claw my way out or use the super quick sprinting to escape is awesome. Oddly enough the Vamp form feels worse for the job though it's actually a stronger form.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I guess you don't mean Ditto in Pokemon? She's pretty worthwhile for trainers but you have to adapt your strategy.

Well, in other genres there is Axl in MMX7 & MMX8, and main character in MMZX2.
    yo

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Somebody else might have mentioned it already, but Divinity: Original Sin II handles both the utility and combat sides of shapeshifting pretty well. You can use the Mask of the Shapeshifter item (I think I've got that name right) to turn into the various races, benefiting from both that race's unique talent (firebreathing, eating flesh, etc.) and also from how the people you're talking to perceive that race.

In combat, the Metamorphasis skills are fantastically helpful, from mobility options like Bull Rush and Flight to debuffs like slinging webs and turning your head into Medusa's. Admittedly, this is more partial shapeshifting than actually turning into anything (though you can turn enemies into chickens, or yourself for that matter).
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-03-19 at 06:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II