New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default 3.5e Dragonlance - Kender Rogue - undecided weapon build C&C

I am currently playing a fun little rogue.
    The roleplaying is fun in Dragonlance (Dragonlance+core with exceptions), being a True Kender. Especially the taunt ability.

But I am not sure about where to go as a build.

INFOS:
    Group: So far Lv3- Wizard, Cleric (both want to be some sort of crafter or enchanter), Monk + Me: Rogue2, Fighter1 for 1 extra feat
    Current feats: Impr Ini, W finesse, Impr Taunt
    Abil/ skills: Low Str, High Dex, some Cha.... great in Bluff, hide... the usual.

Kender are small but have 30ft speed.
    They can taunt enemies very well (+4 on bluff checks) - verbal attack (Bluff vs sense motive). With the impr. taunt feat this results in a -2ATK/-2AC for rounds = your CHA and it's just a lot of fun to come up with insults. It is also a nice extra option to use.
    Also, they have access to Kender weapons: Mine is a Short bow with a blade attached. So you can switch easily between bow attacks and melee.
    This weapon allows for a buckler and also works well with the PRC. It's homebrew, but mostly just takes stuff from other books into a class, since we play very core focussed.

1 thing the PrC allows for is a sort of spring attack. Move, attack, move, and if you are close to cover you can make a free hide check without penalty or AOOs.
    The other things the PrC brings are what would otherwise be a feat or ACF in another book like Darkstalkers, hide in plain sight, disruptive attack...

There is also 1 more feat in Dragonlance: Heroic surge. (1 extra attack or move act/day for every 4 Lvs you have)
    So much for the setup
    ----

As I said, I really like the roleplaying part so far and on low Levels, the build isn't quite as important yet.
    But I am starting to wonder where to go with this. Maybe the DM would allow me to pick some feats from other books outside of core: Underfoot combat+follow feat would be cool for flair and options.
    I would easily reach the tumble req.

With the special Kender weapon, it's a rather flexible and fun character so far and I like it. But I am still wondering about how exactly to continue.
    1) 2W fighting- I have a cleric and a monk to flank with and a wiz for spells. With heroic surge I could actually move> full attack 1/day or more later on. But to make full use of this I would have to drop the buckler and the bow part. No free hand for scrolls is also a bummer.
    2) Ranged - VERY feat heavy. Point blank> rapid shot> precise shot at the least Pro: Good constant dmg for a small race. Sneak-attack would be mostly through hiding or invis. Works in parts with the PrC. If I change the combi weapon for a regular bow I could retrain W finesse for 1 of the feats, but then the PrC would be rather useless.

3) None of the above. Heroic surge maybe for 1 extra option/day. Alone not as potent as the other 2 feat lines, but at least it's an extra option. This would free up other feats for the underfoot combat feats? Or who knows what else. ^^

C&C, please.
    Open to your opinions and advice. Like I said, playing the character in the grp is fun anyway, but I still have to find a thought of where to go with this or maybe what to change.
    A ranged build would likely be the most flexible in general dmg, but with the combi weapon, I cant retrain W finesse or the PrC becomes useless.
    If I change nothing so far, heroic surge might be the most flexible pick. If I could just add the bow feats on top of what I already have... XD
    Last edited by Bobur; 2021-03-02 at 07:19 AM.