Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Final Dawn AP: Homebrew Psionic, Psychic, Akashic Sci-Fi Setting

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Comments on my race?
    I like it -- just the kind of thing I was imagining.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Shadows of the Final Dawn AP: Homebrew Psionic, Psychic, Akashic Sci-Fi Setting

Okay so I assume you either didn't see my message or aren't sure yet what to do for it...
    3.5 has rules for creature ability scores, of course; if I were to just assume Awaken sets the racial int mod to +0, then assume each other racial mod was the ability score - 10 (for even scores) or 11 (for odd ones) would that work?
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph Null View Post
    Okay so I assume you either didn't see my message or aren't sure yet what to do for it...
    3.5 has rules for creature ability scores, of course; if I were to just assume Awaken sets the racial int mod to +0, then assume each other racial mod was the ability score - 10 (for even scores) or 11 (for odd ones) would that work?

This is using rules from savage species right? I don't have that book, I have to see how to build your character. Is anyone else familiar with that source and have suggestions for what Aleph Null is trying to do with a Hydra character?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

What are the stats for Goushen (Daijing)?
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    What are the stats for Goushen (Daijing)?
    http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/goushen and you can build that up to 41 pts.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarius5555 View Post
    This is using rules from savage species right? I don't have that book, I have to see how to build your character. Is anyone else familiar with that source and have suggestions for what Aleph Null is trying to do with a Hydra character?
    I think he's refering to the Awaken spell. The spell assumes you keep the creature's STR, DEX, CON and WIS, roll 3d6 for INT and +1d3 for CHA. From what I understand, he is proposing to instead of rolling INT, just flat out have it be 10, then calculate the racial modifiers as per monster manual rules.

That way, his hydra character would have the following race modifiers to ability scores:
    STR: +6; DEX: +2; CON: +8; CHA: -2, and his int would be a flat 10. He then would distribute the 25 points

7. - Top - End - #67

I'm looking at the interest and its seems like we may have 2 tables worth of players -- I think we have a kobold and goushen player potentially already. Anyone else want to be in table 2?

8. - Top - End - #68

ClericGuy

I'm looking at the interest and its seems like we may have 2 tables worth of players -- I think we have a kobold and goushen player potentially already. Anyone else want to be in table 2?
    I wanted to play table 1, but with my character idea (his core being held by other parties, in this case the dragons), I think it would make more sense for him to be on table 2, no?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Arael666 View Post
    I think he's refering to the Awaken spell. The spell assumes you keep the creature's STR, DEX, CON and WIS, roll 3d6 for INT and +1d3 for CHA. From what I understand, he is proposing to instead of rolling INT, just flat out have it be 10, then calculate the racial modifiers as per monster manual rules.

That way, his hydra character would have the following race modifiers to ability scores:
    STR: +6; DEX: +2; CON: +8; CHA: -2, and his int would be a flat 10. He then would distribute the 25 points
    Kind of like that. Well, this would be for a standard 5 headed hydra, yeah. Though the INT would be treated as 10 only for calculating the mods, so I could still theoretically assign points to it. It would just be a +0 mod.
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Arael666 View Post
    I wanted to play table 1, but with my character idea (his core being held by other parties, in this case the dragons), I think it would make more sense for him to be on table 2, no?
    I was sort of thinking that, but I'm not going to force anyone, I'd rather potential players were happy with their placement.

11. - Top - End - #71

ClericGuy

I was sort of thinking that, but I'm not going to force anyone, I'd rather potential players were happy with their placement.
    Since we're on the same page, I'm applying for table 2. It just makes more sense

12. - Top - End - #72

How does this race sound? It's sort of combining ideas from several other races, with a bit of Planescape: Torment and some of Tolkien's metaphysics. I deliberately kept the physical appearance fairly mundane and made the weirdness internal, because Pact Magic involves a lot of weird changes in your physical appearance and I don't want to drown them out in general weirdness. The name is borrowed from Quenya.

Aira ("Eye-ruh")

In the long-forgotten past, so the tales of the Aira say, the world was ruled by a race called the Oomin. And in time it came to pass that another race emerged in their shadow, living among them in secret. They depended on the Oomin for their very existence, for they could not breed with one another, but each must take an Oomin as her partner.

As the empires of the Oomin flourished so this race grew in secret, until they were as many as the stars in the sky. But it came to pass that the Oomin declined and died out. And the other race dwindled with them. Fearing that they would perish with the Oomin, the most powerful of the race caused a great magic to happen, changing the very nature of the race.

Many perished in the ritual. But those few who survived would no longer ever taste death. They would not age or sicken, but would remain for as long as the world lasted. Even if some misfortune took them, they would return to life after a short time, for this plane was now their home and they could not be separated from it forever. They had become the Aira, the eternals.

For many centuries, the Aira lived and celebrated their immortality. But in the fullness of time, a sorrow rose that diminished their joy. Their minds were not made to hold an eternity of memories. A day came when one of the Aira complained of a great pain in her head. Soon after, she fell into a deep slumber, and did not awake for a year and a day. When she woke, she looked on the world with fresh eyes, for she had forgotten all things - even unto her own name.

As the centuries passed, more Aira succumbed to the Collapse, as it became called, until all perceived that the day would come when none remained who remembered their lives in the beforetimes. Those who still remembered taught what they could of their history to those who had forgotten, but much knowledge was lost in those times. At last, all of the Aira had fallen, and the Collapse was at an end.

Sorrowful, the Aira continued on, rebuilding their lands and homes. In time, their joy returned, though it was ever muted by the grief for what they had lost. But after many centuries, the Collapse began again.

Then the wise among the Aira perceived that the Collapse would come again to each of them, over and over while the world lasted. This is the curse of the Aira. Many among them began at that time to write books, in the hope of preserving their knowledge beyond the Collapses. In this way, the Aira endured through many ages. But much of what they knew was forgotten, or distorted beyond all recognition.

A greater grief still was to fall upon the Aira. Slowly, almost unnoticeably, the time between Collapses diminished. At first, a fortunate Aira could live for nearly a thousand years between Collapses. Now she rarely lasts more than forty. It is a bitter irony that a race which once grasped at immortality now has lives shorter than those of the mortals. And the Aira forget more, for they have less time to learn their knowledge before it must all be forgotten. And the Aira know fear. They fear that their allotted time will diminish more, to mere years or months, so that they forget all of their heritage become as infants forever, never even having time to learn to speak.

Physical Description: The Aira are tall and slender, with two arms, two legs and one head. Their skin, which comes in a variety of shades of brown and pink, is covered by no scales and only an insignificant amount of fur. They have two eyes of different colours in the centre of their head, with a nose and mouse below it. Hair grows on top of their heads, in a distinctive pattern of white streaks against some other colour. They are always female - it is unknown whether this was always the case, or whether the magic that gave them their immortality destroyed their males. Many Aira have markings and patterns on their skin, although whether this was something they were born with or something they added to their bodies in a past age is a question that not even the Aira know the answer to. Aira can appear to be old or young, or even children, but this gives no clue as to their real age or how close they are to Collapse.

Society: The Aira tend to seek out others of their own kind, especially when they believe their Collapse is coming. In the past they lived together in their own land, but now they are fragmented and live in small communities of their own within mortal cities. The Collapse is always on an Aira's mind, and many meticulously keep diaries to be passed on to their future selves after their next Collapse. They keep the knowledge of the past with more care than most, but those in Syranix have lost most of that knowledge due to the Psiquisition.

Relations: The Aira tend to take a "live and let live" approach to other races, allowing the world to continue as it likes as long as it doesn't bother them. Their careful records sometimes make them mistrustful of certain races because of some misdeed that happened a long time ago. For example, the Aira of Syranix strongly dislike the Githyanki because of an attack by the Psiquisition ninety seven years ago, when many of their important historical records were incinerated. Aira have a good deal of empathy for the Infused, in whom they see a kindred spirit in multiple ways. Many Infused choose to live among the Aira, hoping to leave some kind of legacy through their records or just appreciating being with someone similar to them. Aira tend to have some jealousy for Elans, who seem to have succeeded at getting immortality without the curse of the Aira.

Adventurers: Many Aira become adventurers early in their "lives". They have no need to fear death, and the knowledge that they have only a short time before their next Collapse encourages them to seek out excitement and interesting experiences. Due to their personal interest in historical records, disproportionately many of them learn the obscure type of casting known as Pact Magic.

Names: The Aira have nearly all managed to preserve their original names, even though they've forgotten the language the names are from. If so, the name will be a word in Quenya. It's hit or miss whether they have a surname too.

Bonus nerd points if you can tell what race the Aira were before their transformation.
    Last edited by pi4t; 2021-03-03 at 11:12 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    How does this race sound? It's sort of combining ideas from several other races, with a bit of Planescape: Torment and some of Tolkien's metaphysics. I deliberately kept the physical appearance fairly mundane and made the weirdness internal, because Pact Magic involves a lot of weird changes in your physical appearance and I don't want to drown them out in general weirdness. The name is borrowed from Quenya.

Aira ("Eye-ruh")

In the long-forgotten past, so the tales of the Aira say, the world was ruled by a race called the Oomin. And in time it came to pass that another race emerged in their shadow, living among them in secret. They depended on the Oomin for their very existence, for they could not breed with one another, but each must take an Oomin as her partner.

As the empires of the Oomin flourished so this race grew in secret, until they were as many as the stars in the sky. But it came to pass that the Oomin declined and died out. And the other race dwindled with them. Fearing that they would perish with the Oomin, the most powerful of the race caused a great magic to happen, changing the very nature of the race.

Many perished in the ritual. But those few who survived would no longer ever taste death. They would not age or sicken, but would remain for as long as the world lasted. Even if some misfortune took them, they would return to life after a short time, for this plane was now their home and they could not be separated from it forever. They had become the Aira, the eternals.

For many centuries, the Aira lived and celebrated their immortality. But in the fullness of time, a sorrow rose that diminished their joy. Their minds were not made to hold an eternity of memories. A day came when one of the Aira complained of a great pain in her head. Soon after, she fell into a deep slumber, and did not awake for a year and a day. When she woke, she looked on the world with fresh eyes, for she had forgotten all things - even unto her own name.

As the centuries passed, more Aira succumbed to the Collapse, as it became called, until all perceived that the day would come when none remained who remembered their lives in the beforetimes. Those who still remembered taught what they could of their history to those who had forgotten, but much knowledge was lost in those times. At last, all of the Aira had fallen, and the Collapse was at an end.

Sorrowful, the Aira continued on, rebuilding their lands and homes. In time, their joy returned, though it was ever muted by the grief for what they had lost. But after many centuries, the Collapse began again.

Then the wise among the Aira perceived that the Collapse would come again to each of them, over and over while the world lasted. This is the curse of the Aira. Many among them began at that time to write books, in the hope of preserving their knowledge beyond the Collapses. In this way, the Aira endured through many ages. But much of what they knew was forgotten, or distorted beyond all recognition.

A greater grief still was to fall upon the Aira. Slowly, almost unnoticeably, the time between Collapses diminished. At first, a fortunate Aira could live for nearly a thousand years between Collapses. Now she rarely lasts more than forty. It is a bitter irony that a race which once grasped at immortality now has lives shorter than those of the mortals. And the Aira forget more, for they have less time to learn their knowledge before it must all be forgotten. And the Aira know fear. They fear that their allotted time will diminish more, to mere years or months, so that they forget all of their heritage become as infants forever, never even having time to learn to speak.

Physical Description: The Aira are tall and slender, with two arms, two legs and one head. Their skin, which comes in a variety of shades of brown and pink, is covered by no scales and only an insignificant amount of fur. They have two eyes of different colours in the centre of their head, with a nose and mouse below it and hair in a variety of shades growing above it. They are always female - it is unknown whether this was always the case, or whether the magic that gave them their immortality destroyed their males. Many Aira have markings and patterns on their skin, although whether this was something they were born with or something they added to their bodies in a past age is a question that not even the Aira know the answer to. Aira can appear to be old or young, or even children, but this gives no clue as to their real age or how close they are to Collapse.

Society: The Aira tend to seek out others of their own kind, especially when they believe their Collapse is coming. In the past they lived together in their own land, but now they are fragmented and live in small communities of their own within mortal cities. The Collapse is always on an Aira's mind, and many meticulously keep diaries to be passed on to their future selves after their next Collapse. They keep the knowledge of the past with more care than most, but those in Syranix have lost most of that knowledge due to the Psiquisition.

Relations: The Aira tend to take a "live and let live" approach to other races, allowing the world to continue as it likes as long as it doesn't bother them. Their careful records sometimes make them mistrustful of certain races because of some misdeed that happened a long time ago. For example, the Aira of Syranix strongly dislike the Githyanki because of an attack by the Psiquisition ninety seven years ago, when many of their important historical records were incinerated. Aira have a good deal of empathy for the Infused, in whom they see a kindred spirit in multiple ways. Many Infused choose to live among the Aira, hoping to leave some kind of legacy through their records or just appreciating being with someone similar to them. Aira tend to have some jealousy for Elans, who seem to have succeeded at getting immortality without the curse of the Aira.

Adventurers: Many Aira become adventurers early in their "lives". They have no need to fear death, and the knowledge that they have only a short time before their next Collapse encourages them to seek out excitement and interesting experiences. Due to their personal interest in historical records, disproportionately many of them learn the obscure type of casting known as Pact Magic.

Names: The Aira have nearly all managed to preserve their original names, even though they've forgotten the language the names are from. If so, the name will be a word in Quenya. It's hit or miss whether they have a surname too.

Bonus nerd points if you can tell what race the Aira were before their transformation.
    love it! So, clearly, to me at least, the Oomin are humans.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

So are you willing to allow it done like that? And did we actually decide on a starting level?

15. - Top - End - #75

How much would it cost to get the renewal oath boon as a racial ability?

Quote Originally Posted by Renewal (Su) (2 Oath points)
    Even death cannot impede you. Once per day, if you are killed, you are immediately affected as per breath of life with a caster level equal to your character level. You may choose to improve this to raise dead starting at 9th level, resurrection at 13th level, and true resurrection at 17th level. In addition, if you die, you can choose to return as a prana ghost (see Bestiary 6) after one minute (note that becoming a prana ghost stops you from being resurrected). If you become a prana ghost, you die after 24 hours and cannot be resurrected by this ability. You do not gain the rejuvenation ability as a normal prana ghost would.
    How about if we also added "Even if you die a second time before this ability is recharged, you return to life a year and a day after dying, reappearing somewhere in Vexagorth"?

16. - Top - End - #76

BardGuy

The blue are like the lower city equivalent of the kobolds/saktivol. They manufacture and repair the computers, ai, nuclear generators, etc. that keep the society functioning. However, they are less hegemonic and hierarchical than the saktivol, and have different clans that live in different parts of the city and serve different constituencies. They see themselves as the superiors of the saktivol, and believe they will eventually replace them. The saktivol only roll their eyes and consider them beneath notice.
    Ah, when you said mechanics & tinkers in languages (it was their only defining trait for this campaign), I made an assumption and ran with it. Looks like I assumed wrong.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Marcarius, can you be more specific about the oath and abp stuff? Do we get free oath points, do we need to actually take oaths?

Assuming 10th level gestalt.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As you surely know, the Gusovai were contacted by another of their kind not long ago. The great one has now come across the sea with a host of servants and followers, other Saktivol who may wish to pursue our cause. They are primitive in some ways, their features less refined, but their blood runs deep.

They call themselves the Saktivol-Eld, after their patron, Eldenser. Their scales are the color of prasiolite, and through careful ritual or latent abilities granted by their master, each of them bears a core of crystal in their chest. Whatever the case may be, they posses a curious affinity with bladed weaponry, carrying ornate ritual blades that appear and disappear seemingly at will. Now, my belief is that....

- Vhezhald, Fourth Scale of Amytria, in a letter to his fellows

Spoiler: Artist's Rendition
    Show
    Spoiler: Saktivol-Eld
    Show
    Type: Humanoid (Reptilian, Drakeblood) [0]
    Size: Medium [0]
    Base Speed: 30 ft [0]
    Language: Linguist [1]
    Ability Scores: Advanced [4] (+2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Dex, +4 Cha, -2 Int)
    + Advanced Wisdom [4]
    + Advanced Intelligence [4]

Slapping Tail [3]
    Natural Armor [2]
    Gliding Wings [3]
    Focused Study [4]
    Psi-Like Ability, Lesser (Object Reading) [2]
    Psi-Like Ability, At-Will (Absorb Weapon) [2]
    Burrow [3]
    Darkvision 60' [2]
    Low-Light Vision [1]

Static Bonus Feat [2]: Psicrystal Affinity
    Static Bonus Feat [2]: Superior Psicrystal (Implanted)
    Static Bonus Feat [2]: Mixed Blood (Dragon) from DSP Blood Forge

My original thought was just to have a specific "storage point" for their Absorb Weapon psi-like ability (the crystal), and then I found the implanted psicrystal section, which seemed too fitting to pass up

Any thoughts/recommendations?
    Last edited by Argus0; 2021-03-04 at 03:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire014 View Post
    Ah, when you said mechanics & tinkers in languages (it was their only defining trait for this campaign), I made an assumption and ran with it. Looks like I assumed wrong.
    What you developed is fine as well, I'm just telling you the fluff I had already had in mind

20. - Top - End - #80

I'm still waiting for an answer regarding Renewal.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Marcarius, can you be more specific about the oath and abp stuff? Do we get free oath points, do we need to actually take oaths?

Assuming 10th level gestalt.
    Does the majority prefer 10th or 5th gestalt or quadralt. Can someone set up a poll?

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    I'm still waiting for an answer regarding Renewal.
    I'm not sure if this is equivalent, can someone w/ more homebrewing experience comment on the balance please?

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph Null View Post
    So are you willing to allow it done like that? And did we actually decide on a starting level?
    That's still undecided. Let's just set up a poll to do starting level, can someone do that for me? I don't know how.

I'm not sure about the build question, can some else w/ more homebrewing experience comment on this please? Honestly, a lot of these questions I either have to handwave or handoff -- I'm aware of most of these systems, but I haven't done a lot of homebrewing and I have no idea what is equivalent or how these systems interact or not. I'm really more focused on fluff design for worlds, I'm not an OP genius or someone who has every rules interaction memorized.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'd like a Racial Point estimate for the following abilities:

1) Unsubstance - as a swift action, a Kaa'Tulpa can open up their connection to the Outer Chaos, focused through an attack or power. Until the begining of their next turn, any energy damage they deal is converted into the unravelling energies of the Outer Chaos, becoming untyped damage. If a creature is killed by an attack including this damage, they are removed from existance in the same way as a disintegrate spell or disintegration power. The Kaa'Tulpa can do this a number of times per day equal to their character level

2) Fractured Spirit - as a move action, the animating spirit of a Kaa'Tulpa can emerge from their body, resembling a spectral child. They gain the Incorporeal subtype and ability. If they take any damage while in spiritual form, or travel more than 400ft+40ft/Level from their body, they are shunted back to their body and staggered for 1 round. They can continue to use any Psionic or Psychic ability while in spiritual form, but cannot access any Akashic or otherwise physical abilities. While in spiritual form they gain the following touch attack:
    Touch of Chaos - Incorporeal Touch - 1d6 Constitution Damage.

3) Nano-Organic Frame - Being made from Programmable Nano-Organic hybrid components, the bodies of the Kaa'Tulpa can change and shift as needed. Kaa'Tulpa can select one option from the Abilities Menu B of the Metamorphosis Power and apply it permanently to themselves. Once per day, when they rest, they can choose to change this option, however it does not become active until 8 hours of rest as the body needs time to adjust and grow the needed parts. This is considered an Akashic/Cybertech ability.

I'm open to minor suggestions of how to change these, if anyone has some.

25. - Top - End - #85

I need to be up front here because I'm starting to get a deluge of really specific rules questions -- the most common response to most of these rules questions is going to be "I don't know," because I really don't -- I've built 1 spheres character before, not using the particular schools being discussed here. I'm happy to have characters use all kinds of systems, but I just have no idea how to answer some of the complex questions about corner cases and ambiguous rules interactions.

I also never actually played 3.5, though I have a large collection of that material, so I'm really uncertain about any questions that have to do with details of how that system interacts with PF1e. I know, for instance, that there's LA in 3.5 but not exactly the same system in PF using rp and cr, but I've never built characters with the former system, and I don't know in any detail how similar or different they are or specifically what would be the same or different to convert between one or the other.

My usual approach is just to set AC, BAB+, and Save targets for players and let you answer all these questions for yourself as long as you get to those target numbers.

I'm really hoping to adjudicate most of this stuff as a group with people who know these systems better.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2021-03-03 at 04:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I need to be up front here because I'm starting to get a deluge of really specific rules questions -- the most common response to most of these rules questions is going to be "I don't know," because I really don't -- I've built 1 spheres character before, not using the particular schools being discussed here. I'm happy to have characters use all kinds of systems, but I just have no idea how to answer some of the complex questions about corner cases and ambiguous rules interactions.

I also never actually played 3.5, though I have a large collection of that material, so I'm really uncertain about any questions that have to do with details of how that system interacts with PF1e. I know, for instance, that there's LA in 3.5 but not exactly the same system in PF using rp and cr, but I've never built characters with the former system, and I don't know in any detail how similar or different they are or specifically what would be the same or different to convert between one or the other.

My usual approach is just to set AC, BAB+, and Save targets for players and let you answer all these questions for yourself as long as you get to those target numbers.

I'm really hoping to adjudicate most of this stuff as group with people who know these systems better.
    a'ight, I'll just assign my own racial points to those abilities

27. - Top - End - #87

Does anyone know how to set up a poll for this thing?

The basic question is how long or short to do you want this AP to be. If it starts at 10th level, I'm assuming its a 3 part truncated AP like Against the Aeon Throne. I don't think I can come up with 6 adventures worth of material for pcs at that power level. If we start at 5th level, which is basically the end of part 1 of most APs, I think we can get 4-5 chapters out of it, and that will impact the scale of what I do in any individual section.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Does anyone know how to set up a poll for this thing?

The basic question is how long or short to do you want this AP to be. If it starts at 10th level, I'm assuming its a 3 part truncated AP like Against the Aeon Throne. I don't think I can come up with 6 adventures worth of material for pcs at that power level. If we start at 5th level, which is basically the end of part 1 of most APs, I think we can get 4-5 chapters out of it, and that will impact the scale of what I do in any individual section.
    Polls have to be opened with the thread, I believe.

Also, It's a PbP. Unless you've had a 5 or 6 part AP play all the way through before, assume we'll be lucky to make it through a 3 parter.

Since you're more worldbuilder than theorycrafter, you're going to want us gestalt rather than quadstalt, because we will break your world accidentally on a quadstalt. Also, at that point it's not characters it's piles of numbers. We'd be taking a fourth class solely for something like a HD and a good save somewhere.

Finally, between the oaths and the ABP (regardless of level/stalt), this is going to basically be a zero item game, right?
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, I agree with Lochar. A quadstalt will get too messy

Level 10 gestalt sounds good to me

30. - Top - End - #90

I'm not sure if this is equivalent, can someone w/ more homebrewing experience comment on the balance please?
    It's tricky to figure out how many RP to assign, since frankly the RP system really isn't well-balanced. I'm trying to look at other equivalent oath benefits. The "resurrect a year and a day later" bit is mostly fluff; it's unlikely to come up in the average game. And even as fluff, it's ambiguous whether it's a good thing - nowadays, the Aira would mostly rather it wasn't the case and they could actually die. So I'll assume that ability can be added without increasing the RP cost.

Damage Reduction costs the same number of points. At level 10, it gives DR 5/alignment (probably that ought to be something else in this setting, but I digress). There's no actual price given for DR/alignment, but DR 5/Bludgeoning costs 2RP. DR 5/Silver costs 3. DR 5/Magic costs 4, which just goes to show how well balanced the RP system isn't. I'd say DR 5/alignment would probably be worth about 4RP, if they had offered it. So on this basis, Renewal should be worth 4RP.

2 oath points could also (at level 10) be spent on two bonus talents, which is pretty equivalent to two bonus feats. It's not clear whether these should be priced as static bonus feats or flexible ones. On the one hand the talents are clearly flexible when you take them as oaths, but on the other hand the whole oaths system is flexible. If DDS is saying "this ability is equivalent to two feats" then giving every Aira the ability is like giving them all two fixed feats. So perhaps it should be priced as equivalent to two static feats. On the basis of this comparison, Renewal should again be worth 4RP (static) or 8RP (flexible).

This same comparison also works with Improved Aristeia, Magical Gleaning, etc, except there it's pretty clear the bonus feats should be counted as static. So 4RP.

Then there's the Accelerated Recovery ability. This gives fast healing 5 and costs 3 oath points (compared with Renewal's 2). How much would this cost in RP? Well, getting fast healing 5 would take a stupidly expensive 40RP, which is clearly absurdly overpriced compared with other options. Let's try another approach. If you think about it, you've really got most of the benefit of fast healing if you just have 1 point of it. So perhaps we could imagine that fast healing 1 is worth 2 oath points, the same as Renewal. On this basis, Renewal should be worth 6RP.

Or we could compare with energy resistance. 2 oath points is enough to get you Resistance 15 to two elements. In the RP system, energy resistance 5 is consistently priced at 1RP, while immunity is priced at 4RP. There's nothing in between, but clearly resistance 15 should cost less than immunity and at least 3 times as much as resistance 5, which means the only possible price for it is 3RP. On this basis, Renewal should be worth 6RP.

How about Spell Resistance? That's worth 3 oath points, and is one of the few abilities which shows up on the RP table. It costs 3RP. So on that basis Renewal should cost only 2RP.

Skilful is a slightly upgraded version of Skilled (4RP) and costs one oath point. Comparing with that, Renewal should cost 8RP.

Alternatively, looking further afield and ignoring the oath system, the ability is reminiscent of the Reincarnated Druid's iconic ability. This replaces two levels of Wild Shape, which is a bit like the Greater Change Shape ability. So maybe we should price Renewal the same as Greater Change Shap, 6RP

Looking at all of these values, we get quite a large spread. I suggest pricing the ability at 6RP, to be on the safe side.