Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Final Dawn AP: Homebrew Psionic, Psychic, Akashic Sci-Fi Setting

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    In that case, I suggest you divide them up and keep the different traditions pretty much separated, removing spheres entirely when they don't fit. I'm quite familiar with spheres, so would it help if I went through and made some suggestions?
    That sounds good.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Final Dawn AP: Homebrew Psionic, Psychic, Akashic Sci-Fi Setting

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarius5555 View Post
    Unless you can get them operational and in range faster than a machine gun.
    Which rules are we using for =guns, anyway? Modern Firearms? Or Technological Weapons?

3. - Top - End - #33

Which rules are we using for =guns, anyway? Modern Firearms? Or Technological Weapons?
    technological weapons. And actually its really not so much even going to be guns, its going to be the more exotic stuff like lasers and nano weapons.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2021-03-02 at 06:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Unless you can get them operational and in range faster than a machine gun.
    Ah so if I just like.. stop the bullets, I'm fine.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

To further clarify: If you say yes to this, then each of the three types of casting will have two different versions. The standard version, where psychic casting has spell slots, psionics has power points, and akasha has veils, and the spheres version where they can all be used for the same kinds of magic in almost the same way (by getting a large number of feats and spending them on improving the class's abilities). While I normally love spheres, I suspect in this game you might be disappointed by the way it makes all three kinds of casting very similar to each other. And the huge numbers of feats will allow characters to become extremely good casters, rather than having abilities from several different classes as you'd expect for a gestalt.

I'm currently playing in a gestalt spheres game IRL and...honestly, it doesn't work too well in practice.
    In principle I'm okay with using spheres, but I don't want someone to take the psionics casting tradition than buy a set of abilities that looks exactly like a normal wizard or cleric. I think I'm going to have to reserve judgment based on what casting tradition is combined with what spheres. I may have to divide the spheres that are available for certain casting traditions.

Is anyone deadset on using spheres? I think this may raise a lot of problems if it's going to cause all three sources of power to overlap in this way. That is sort of killing one of the thematic elements of this setting.
    This... is a fair point. I mean, ultimately in terms of the results, different mechanics can be largely the same. Not much difference between a Psionic character using Chameleon and a Psychic using Blend. But on the players side, it could very easily distract from the distinctiveness of the three.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    Ah so if I just like.. stop the bullets, I'm fine.
    Be my guest if you can figure out a way to make that work, I'm just trying to make the parameters clear so no one is disadvantaged when the first combat comes up and its tribes men shooting laser guns at you from behind a defensive bulwark, and your double wielding gish build can't do anything.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hey Seb, how familiar are you with Warframe? I just had a great idea homaging the Tenno from it - Outer Chaos-touched children now taken to inhabiting and animating warsuits of nanotechnology. I feel it really fits neat, gives me a excellent concept to go full hog and do a Path of War/Akashic/Psionic build using all three in some form. Plus the visuals... I think they fit well (as links due to image size limits):

https://i.redd.it/ehvht5wh0lw21.jpg
    https://i1.wp.com/todowarframe.com/w...30%2C773&ssl=1
    https://i.redd.it/ekykz3ycjol21.jpg
    https://i.redd.it/va6fb4dogyh31.jpg

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Hah, I was debating something geth like myself.

Are we still looking at 41 rp point races?
    Last edited by Lochar; 2021-03-02 at 07:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    Hey Seb, how familiar are you with Warframe? I just had a great idea homaging the Tenno from it - Outer Chaos-touched children now taken to inhabiting and animating warsuits of nanotechnology. I feel it really fits neat, gives me a excellent concept to go full hog and do a Path of War/Akashic/Psionic build using all three in some form. Plus the visuals... I think they fit well (as links due to image size limits):

https://i.redd.it/ehvht5wh0lw21.jpg
    https://i1.wp.com/todowarframe.com/w...30%2C773&ssl=1
    https://i.redd.it/ekykz3ycjol21.jpg
    https://i.redd.it/va6fb4dogyh31.jpg

I don't know a thing about this franchise, but the look is close to what I was imagining.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Hah, I was debating something geth like myself.

Are we still looking at 41 rp point races?
    yes I forgot to put that in. Either you can customize something (for example, Saktivol/kobolds are kobolds with a bunch of extra abilities), or you can make something up, like a snail with forty dozen prehensile mechanical legs or whatever.

Does everyone think 25 is high enough for pt. buy? I'm not really sure what someone needs for MAD builds.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2021-03-02 at 07:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Ok, here are some casting traditions. The drawbacks with sphere names after them are sphere-specific drawbacks. Players may take other sphere-specific drawbacks too, but must take the ones associated with their tradition if they take that sphere. I strongly recommend not allowing these mandatory drawbacks to be bought off, since they're part of what makes the tradition like its non-spheres equivalent.

I handled the Kineticist's tradition separately, since it's so different to the other psychic casters. For fluff, it's still a form of psychic casting, like the standard kineticist.

I wasn't sure which casting modifiers to give the traditions, since all three styles are equally represented by all the mental ability scores. You can see the ones I went with in the end, but Marcarius can change any of them to other mental abilities without invalidating the traditions if he thinks another choice would be more appropriate.

Psionics: Magical Signs, Mental Focus, Lycanthrope (Alteration), Material Focus: Crystal (Creation), Necromantic Limit (Ghost Strike), Personal Time (Time), Overcharge
    CAM: Intelligence
    Alteration
    Conjuration (Constructed type only)
    Creation
    Death
    Destruction
    Divination
    Mana
    Mind
    Telekinesis
    Time
    Warp
    Summary: Powers manifest with an obvious display (Magical Signs). There's no way to give psionic focus via a casting tradition, but I simulate it with another "gain and lose" focus mechanic. The death sphere might seem like an odd addition. It's for athanatism style stuff, and the Necromantic Limit drawback means they can't actually animate undead. The tradition is rounded out by being able to improve caster level at a cost to your own personal health, like with overchannel.

Psychic Magic: Emotional Casting, Rigorous Concentration, +1 spell point, +1 per 3 levels in casting classes
    CAM: Charisma
    Blood
    Conjuration (No Constructed type, or Planar type)
    Divination
    Illusion
    Mind
    Telekinesis
    Summary: This was easy. Emotional Casting and Rigorous Concentration work exactly like the components of psychic casting. There's no particular boons which seem to fit, so I just gave extra spell points. The biggest question was what casting modifier to go for. It was a toss up between int (psychic, occultist, thought) and cha (mesmerist, medium, emotions). In the end I went with cha just to distinguish it from psionics.

Kineticist: Draining Casting, Wild Magic, Fortified Casting. Energy Focus: Choose one of Acid, Air, Cold or Fire (Destruction). You may not choose packages from the nature sphere other than the one associated with your Energy Focus element. You may partially buy off the Energy Focus drawback, spending a talent to unlock one blast type group (even one outside the standard four above) or the Plant or Metal packages from the nature sphere.
    CAM: Constitution
    Destruction
    Nature
    Summary: Not many options for spheres here, but then the kineticist is quite focussed on doing one thing. Destruction for blasts, nature for wild talents. Draining Casting works much like burn, although the damage is a (rather more reasonable) 1 per 5 hit dice. They get to use constitution as their casting modifier as a reward. I had to add another drawback, and chose wild magic (mostly because one of their key abilities is "wild talent"); this works exactly as you'd expect and each sphere has its own table of wild magic effects to roll on. I did a little homebrew fiddling with elemental restrictions to make them apply to the nature sphere too.

Akashic Magic: Lycanthrope (Alteration), Material Focus: Force (Creation), Cloaking Darkness (Dark), Personal Magics (Enhancement), Touch of Light (Light), Protected Soul (Protection). When you take a sphere, you must immediately take a talent that increases its duration (taking drawbacks if necessary), if such a talent exists.
    CAM: Wisdom
    Alteration
    Creation
    Dark
    Enhancement
    Light
    Protection
    Technomancy
    Summary: No general drawbacks. The specific ones basically mean you can only affect stuff near/on you, vaguely simulating the way veils are worn by you. Since veils aren't short term investments, I also added a requirement to increase the duration ASAP when you take the sphere. I went with wisdom because of its vague "connect with the world" ideas, and because it was the one score I hadn't used yet.
    Last edited by pi4t; 2021-03-09 at 08:38 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

yes I forgot to put that in. Either you can customize something (for example, Saktivol/kobolds are kobolds with a bunch of extra abilities), or you can make something up, like a snail with forty dozen prehensile mechanical legs or whatever.

Does everyone think 25 is high enough for pt. buy? I'm not really sure what someone needs for MAD builds.
    I will probably need to take the monster statblock for my awakened hydra since I don't think it's possible to make it from base using RP...I would pay levels on one of my gestalt tracks ofc...but how would I do ability scores?
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

13. - Top - End - #43

I realise I keep being the naysayer here, but I think if you go above 25 then SAD builds don't really get much reward since you can't go above an 18. Making your build SAD is something I like doing, and definitely involves compromises in other areas, so I'd much prefer we didn't go above 25 (or if we do, that we allow the purchase of ability scores above 18).

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

I realise I keep being the naysayer here, but I think if you go above 25 then SAD builds don't really get much reward since you can't go above an 18. Making your build SAD is something I like doing, and definitely involves compromises in other areas, so I'd much prefer we didn't go above 25 (or if we do, that we allow the purchase of ability scores above 18).
    I go the opposite way on this. MAD classes that NEED more ability scores to function want higher points, while SAD still get to benefit from them, but don't require them to function.

In esssence, more ability points bring the MAD classes up TO the level of the SAD classes.

That said, 25 is fine, especially since we're going to be building such crazy strong races.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I go the opposite way on this. MAD classes that NEED more ability scores to function want higher points, while SAD still get to benefit from them, but don't require them to function.

In esssence, more ability points bring the MAD classes up TO the level of the SAD classes.

That said, 25 is fine, especially since we're going to be building such crazy strong races.
    But unless you're very lucky, becoming SAD means picking classes whose mechanics aren't as synergistic as they could be. It means picking suboptimal approaches, like going for throwing weapons in a setting with lasers because Akashic Magic has a feat that lets you use charisma to attack. (This is something I was considering earlier today, if you couldn't tell.) If a Gestalt, or especially Quadstalt, character is SAD, that's because the player has put a great deal of effort and resources into making them SAD. If you allow an MAD character to have stats as high as a SAD character can reach, you're not bringing them up to the level of the SAD characters, but past them.

It's a bit different if you talk about "SAD classes". A class's class abilities will all synergise with each other well, whether the class is SAD or MAD. You won't get two separate abilities that are both designed to be used every round and both take your move action. (Correction: a well designed class won't do that. Glares at the vanilla monk.) So in a single class game, SAD classes have an advantage and tweaking the ability scores so MAD classes can keep up is a fairly good idea. But the more gestalt tracks you throw in, the more ground SAD characters lose to MAD characters due to a lack of synergy of class abilities.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ok, here are some casting traditions. The drawbacks with sphere names after them are sphere-specific drawbacks. Players may take other sphere-specific drawbacks too, but must take the ones associated with their tradition if they take that sphere. I strongly recommend not allowing these mandatory drawbacks to be bought off, since they're part of what makes the tradition like its non-spheres equivalent.

I handled the Kineticist's tradition separately, since it's so different to the other psychic casters. For fluff, it's still a form of psychic casting, like the standard kineticist.

I wasn't sure which casting modifiers to give the traditions, since all three styles are equally represented by all the mental ability scores. You can see the ones I went with in the end, but Marcarius can change any of them to other mental abilities without invalidating the traditions if he thinks another choice would be more appropriate.

Psionics: Magical Signs, Mental Focus, Lycanthrope (Alteration), Material Focus: Crystal (Creation), Necromantic Limit (Ghost Strike), Overcharge
    CAM: Intelligence
    Alteration
    Conjuration (Constructed type only)
    Creation
    Death
    Destruction
    Divination
    Mana
    Mind
    Telekinesis
    Summary: Powers manifest with an obvious display (Magical Signs). There's no way to give psionic focus via a casting tradition, but I simulate it with another "gain and lose" focus mechanic. The death sphere might seem like an odd addition. It's for athanatism style stuff, and the Necromantic Limit drawback means they can't actually animate undead. The tradition is rounded out by being able to improve caster level at a cost to your own personal health, like with overchannel.

Psychic Magic: Emotional Casting, Rigorous Concentration, +1 spell point, +1 per 3 levels in casting classes
    CAM: Charisma
    Blood
    Conjuration (No Constructed type, or Planar type)
    Divination
    Illusion
    Mind
    Telekinesis
    Summary: This was easy. Emotional Casting and Rigorous Concentration work exactly like the components of psychic casting. There's no particular boons which seem to fit, so I just gave extra spell points. The biggest question was what casting modifier to go for. It was a toss up between int (psychic, occultist, thought) and cha (mesmerist, medium, emotions). In the end I went with cha just to distinguish it from psionics.

Kineticist: Draining Casting, Wild Magic, Fortified Casting. Energy Focus: Choose one of Acid, Air, Cold or Fire (Destruction). You may not choose packages from the nature sphere other than the one associated with your Energy Focus element. You may partially buy off the Energy Focus drawback, spending a talent to unlock one blast type group (even one outside the standard four above) or the Plant or Metal packages from the nature sphere.
    CAM: Constitution
    Destruction
    Nature
    Summary: Not many options for spheres here, but then the kineticist is quite focussed on doing one thing. Destruction for blasts, nature for wild talents. Draining Casting works much like burn, although the damage is a (rather more reasonable) 1 per 5 hit dice. They get to use constitution as their casting modifier as a reward. I had to add another drawback, and chose wild magic (mostly because one of their key abilities is "wild talent"); this works exactly as you'd expect and each sphere has its own table of wild magic effects to roll on. I did a little homebrew fiddling with elemental restrictions to make them apply to the nature sphere too.

Akashic Magic: Material Focus: Force (Creation), Cloaking Darkness (Dark), Personal Magics (Enhancement), Touch of Light (Light), Protected Soul (Protection). When you take a sphere, you must immediately take a talent that increases its duration (taking drawbacks if necessary), if such a talent exists.
    CAM: Wisdom
    Creation
    Dark
    Enhancement
    Light
    Protection
    Technomancy
    Summary: No general drawbacks. The specific ones basically mean you can only affect stuff near/on you, vaguely simulating the way veils are worn by you. Since veils aren't short term investments, I also added a requirement to increase the duration ASAP when you take the sphere. I went with wisdom because of its vague "connect with the world" ideas, and because it was the one score I hadn't used yet.
    I... actually think these are pretty cool interpretations. Kudos, though I think with the way I'm going I won't be using them. BUT, one suggestion... Alteration added to Akashic Magics. While few if any akashic proper classes utilize shapeshifting, when we imagine it as cybertech and nanobots as in this setting.. yeah, shapeshifting and physically transforming yourself makes sense.

But unless you're very lucky, becoming SAD means picking classes whose mechanics aren't as synergistic as they could be. It means picking suboptimal approaches, like going for throwing weapons in a setting with lasers because Akashic Magic has a feat that lets you use charisma to attack. (This is something I was considering earlier today, if you couldn't tell.) If a Gestalt, or especially Quadstalt, character is SAD, that's because the player has put a great deal of effort and resources into making them SAD. If you allow an MAD character to have stats as high as a SAD character can reach, you're not bringing them up to the level of the SAD characters, but past them.

It's a bit different if you talk about "SAD classes". A class's class abilities will all synergise with each other well, whether the class is SAD or MAD. You won't get two separate abilities that are both designed to be used every round and both take your move action. (Correction: a well designed class won't do that. Glares at the vanilla monk.) So in a single class game, SAD classes have an advantage and tweaking the ability scores so MAD classes can keep up is a fairly good idea. But the more gestalt tracks you throw in, the more ground SAD characters lose to MAD characters due to a lack of synergy of class abilities.
    I kinda agree with this too. MAD classes can pick up Oaths and all sorts of things to make themselves more even. The only real place where SAD and MAD can be on even footing is in point buy. And 25 point buy is plenty.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    I... actually think these are pretty cool interpretations. Kudos, though I think with the way I'm going I won't be using them. BUT, one suggestion... Alteration added to Akashic Magics. While few if any akashic proper classes utilize shapeshifting, when we imagine it as cybertech and nanobots as in this setting.. yeah, shapeshifting and physically transforming yourself makes sense.
    True. I guess that several veils would be interpreted as alteration abilities, too. Edited, thanks.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Kinasi, AI race.

A Kinasi is a Tiny spider-esque looking construct with a bulbous clear thorax bubbling with psionic energy.

Most assume the Kinasi are uplifted psicrystals that bonded with another construct.

The truth is even stranger. Some time in the past, an AI managed to ascend it's mainframe to a purely psionic intelligence. In an effort to continue cataloging the world, the AI fragmented hundreds of subroutines into fully sentient machine intelligences and deployed them back into the world.

The Kinasi build their bodies by drawing psionic energy in from their originator AI. When destroyed, their originator reclaims their energy and knowledge, then spins the intelligence back out once more in a new body.

Spoiler
    Show

Construct 20rp
    Tiny 4rp
    Slow movement speed -1rp
    Advanced stats (+2 int, wis, cha. +4 dex, -2 str) 4rp
    Advanced int 4rp
    Fast healing 6rp
    Focused study 4rp
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Really like the idea behind the setting!

Can we use psionic powers for the Spell-Like Ability options in the race builder? I'm looking at Absorb Weapon (at-will) and Object Reading (1/day) specifically

My thought is for a subrace of Kobolds/Wyvaran whose patron is based on Eldenser from the Forgotten Realms. "Cousins" to the main group of Saktivol in Syranix, they arrived some generations after the establishment of the city and have remained distinct. They're more militaristic/barbaric, with a special esteem for swords in particular, in acknowledgement of the fact that their patron could reach out through one at any time

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Vicuna I'd probally change her to whatever the canine race is for the campaign. But the basic idea is that for one reason or another she's been forced into being a spirital form that inhabits some item. Since then she's grown into her power and has an impressive telekinetic ability
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

How does stuff like Alchemy or Ki interacts with the setting's magic rules?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Race Concept: The Kaa'Tulpa

Ok, I tried writing up a detailed backstory for the Kaa'Tulpa, but I'll need to develop that as I sit with it.

The core idea is that long ago during one of the last wars between the Material and the Outer Chaos, a vessel travelling between the Elemental Realms, carrying a bunch of refugees including 7777 Children vanished, fallen into a rent in reality. At the time, this was common and while mourned, was largely ignored.

Later, a new kind of enemy started appearing on the battlefield, the Murder-Makers as they were called. Apparently corporeal, even material, these vaguely humanoid warriors cut a swathe through Material Plane forces, and that was before the stories about spiritual visions began to appear. Spiritually-Sensitive people would see the ghostly shape of humanoid children supposed over murder makers, screaming at their victims as they were killed.

It wasn't until one was captured and examined by a Sapphire Dragon that the truth emerged. These were nano-organic constructs designed to channel psychic energy, being driven and controlled by child-spirits from the material plane, twisted and changed by the Outer Chaos. This hybrid of Unreality and Materiality was far more successful than any previous attempt - able to hold a form that could use normal weapons, but also channel the power of Dissolution.

Investigation discovered, eventually, the wreck of that vessel and the dissapearance of the children, while the adults had simply been killed. This however, was an opportunity. The vessel would act as the focus for a sympathetic ritual. It was a complex machination of the Sapphire Dragon, but the Murder-Makers were drawn en-masse to their origin, and, with a backlash that turned her into a data-spirit herself, they were deactivated-put to sleep.

Even in sleep however, the children dreamed, and grew. The Gem-Dragon had become a guiding spirit for them, essentially turning them from barely controlled puppets of the Outer Chaos, into the Kaa'Tulpa.

They remained hidden in the wreckage of their ship for a long time, until they were recently awakened. Now, the 7777 Ka'Tulpa make their lives their own, although they are still dangerously connected to the Outer Chaos.

So, they are essentially Chaos-tainted ghosts riding nano-organic constructs, trying to get away from the thing that simultaneously created and abused them. I will be working a bit more on the nature of the Outer Entity that did this and what its plans and desires are.

-------------

I'm not 100% either on how to build them, but I want your opinion on some racial traits I want to see them get

1) Outer Chaos Energy - I want them to be able to manipulate the anti-reality energy of the Outer Chaos, which usually cannot be manifested in the real world, it's only through this hybridization it has been achieved. So I am thinking an ability to convert any damaging energy effect that originates from them into, effectively, a disintegration effect. This would make the damage untyped, and make enemies slain by it disintegrate as per the spell and power. Not sure if it should be just a thing they automatically do, whether it should be at will but with an action economy (like a Swift action to do it for the round) or if it should be limited per day.

2) Ghost Form - I'm thinking of a limited ability to emerge out of their construct as an incoporeal creature. What offensive advantages this would grant them I'm not sure yet, it's a cool idea but needs a purpose really. Thinking Character Level +Charisma Modifer rounds per day.

3) Some innate shapechanging ability, possibly through a bonus to alteration effects? I dunno man.

I've just got a confusing mess of ideas here, and I need to settle them down and split out what should be racial and what should be class. Any ideas on Class for the ghost part? Wraith could be good but like, I don't see them possessing *other people* that way, just their own flesh-puppets.

23. - Top - End - #53

BardGuy

... when a tyrrit comes of age, they enter a trance-like state, and lock themselves in their workshop. It is unknown what they are compelled to create, but after several weeks of toil, the explosive results are seen by all, destroying their body, and usually an area the size of up to a city block. The body of the former tyrrit pup, now a mature krashyt, would be found in the epicenter of the resulting crater, strangely unharmed. The mutations caused by this growth event typically makes a krashyt more prodigious with their work, both in quality, and how many explosions to the face they take before calling it a day.
    While these transformations in civilized areas are thankfully rare, what with a tyrrit's preferred domain being desert ruins where they can easily scavenge, all knowledge of what they were doing at the time is lost, and all attempts to record and reappropriate this ritual to enlighten other races always end in failure, and usually tragedy. It is illegal for a tyrrit of maturing age to be within the borders of a city.

~ Excerpts from Races of Vexagorth Compendium.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was in the mood to play a goblin race recently, but at the same time I really liked the abilities from Elan. I saw that the only information on Blues is that they are tinkerers, so I thought: I have 41 RP, why not combine the two, add extras with the leftover RP, and call it good. They go out, and back in, with a bang. They are so used to explosions, and hyper-focusing on their work, that they evolved ways to deal with it.

Race Points Breakdown:

The Krashyt: (Tyrrit is the name for their young)

Humanoid (Goblinoid) 0
    Psionic Subtype - 2 (it mainly adds a static feat (Wild/Psionic Talent) and universal Favored Class Bonus)
    Small - 0
    Normal Speed - 0
    Standard Abilities - 0 (-2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 int(+6 total))
    Stealthy - 5 (+2 Ride, +2 Stealth, Stealth is class skill.)
    Keen Senses - 2 (+2 Perception)
    Weapon Familiarity (Goblin) - 1 (not sure why I kept this. Monkey Goblin Wrench?)
    Darkvision 60' - 2
    Pariah - 0 (technically a penalty, should it be a -1?)
    Repletion - 2 | Blue Total: 14
    ----------------------
    Resilience - 4
    Resistance - 4 | Elan Total: +8
    ---------------
    Advanced Int x2 (+4 Int) - 9
    Prehensile Tail - 2
    Scent - 4
    Master Tinker - 2 | Extra Total: +19
    -------------
    Total: 41

You mentioned making a chart of all the feats for people who need it. I think I need it. It sounds like its 4 feats/odd level, 4 combat feats/even level, and then whatever bonus feats you get on top of that. How is 3 wealth replacers at the same time going to work?
    Last edited by Hellfire014; 2021-03-03 at 04:55 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    How does stuff like Alchemy or Ki interacts with the setting's magic rules?
    I think those are considered a different category. For example, detect magic doesn't work on alchemical items. Can someone confirm that for me?

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Argus0 View Post
    Really like the idea behind the setting!

Can we use psionic powers for the Spell-Like Ability options in the race builder? I'm looking at Absorb Weapon (at-will) and Object Reading (1/day) specifically

My thought is for a subrace of Kobolds/Wyvaran whose patron is based on Eldenser from the Forgotten Realms. "Cousins" to the main group of Saktivol in Syranix, they arrived some generations after the establishment of the city and have remained distinct. They're more militaristic/barbaric, with a special esteem for swords in particular, in acknowledgement of the fact that their patron could reach out through one at any time
    Conversions are fine -- I'm basically fine w/ homebrewing anything like psionic bard equivalent etc. Try to give it a psionic 'spin' though. I like the race idea

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire014 View Post
    ... when a tyrrit comes of age, they enter a trance-like state, and lock themselves in their workshop. It is unknown what they are compelled to create, but after several weeks of toil, the explosive results are seen by all, destroying their body, and usually an area the size of up to a city block. The body of the former tyrrit pup, now a mature krashyt, would be found in the epicenter of the resulting crater, strangely unharmed. The mutations caused by this growth event typically makes a krashyt more prodigious with their work, both in quality, and how many explosions to the face they take before calling it a day.
    While these transformations in civilized areas are thankfully rare, what with a tyrrit's preferred domain being desert ruins where they can easily scavenge, all knowledge of what they were doing at the time is lost, and all attempts to record and reappropriate this ritual to enlighten other races always end in failure, and usually tragedy. It is illegal for a tyrrit of maturing age to be within the borders of a city.

~ Excerpts from Races of Vexagorth Compendium.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was in the mood to play a goblin race recently, but at the same time I really liked the abilities from Elan. I saw that the only information on Blues is that they are tinkerers, so I thought: I have 41 RP, why not combine the two, add extras with the leftover RP, and call it good. They go out, and back in, with a bang. They are so used to explosions, and hyper-focusing on their work, that they evolved ways to deal with it.

Race Points Breakdown:

The Krashyt: (Tyrrit is the name for their young)

Humanoid (Goblinoid) 0
    Psionic Subtype - 2 (it mainly adds a static feat (Wild/Psionic Talent) and universal Favored Class Bonus)
    Small - 0
    Normal Speed - 0
    Standard Abilities - 0 (-2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 int(+6 total))
    Stealthy - 5 (+2 Ride, +2 Stealth, Stealth is class skill.)
    Keen Senses - 2 (+2 Perception)
    Weapon Familiarity (Goblin) - 1 (not sure why I kept this. Monkey Goblin Wrench?)
    Darkvision 60' - 2
    Pariah - 0 (technically a penalty, should it be a -1?)
    Repletion - 2 | Blue Total: 14
    ----------------------
    Resilience - 4
    Resistance - 4 | Elan Total: +8
    ---------------
    Advanced Int x2 (+4 Int) - 9
    Prehensile Tail - 2
    Scent - 4
    Master Tinker - 2 | Extra Total: +19
    -------------
    Total: 41

You mentioned making a chart of all the feats for people who need it. I think I need it. It sounds like its 4 feats/odd level, 4 combat feats/even level, and then whatever bonus feats you get on top of that. How is 3 wealth replacers at the same time going to work?
    The blue are like the lower city equivalent of the kobolds/saktivol. They manufacture and repair the computers, ai, nuclear generators, etc. that keep the society functioning. However, they are less hegemonic and hierarchical than the saktivol, and have different clans that live in different parts of the city and serve different constituencies. They see themselves as the superiors of the saktivol, and believe they will eventually replace them. The saktivol only roll their eyes and consider them beneath notice.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2021-03-03 at 06:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Marcarius, how does this look at a Dark Tapestry convergence for the Nexus? I'm not sure whether I want to use it or just go for elemental convergences, but it would be nice to have options!

Spoiler
    Show

Tier 1: Resistance to cold, electricity and sonic equal to class level. Darkvision 60ft (or improves existing darkvision 30ft). Planar detonation can do cold damage which staggers for 1 round (fort negates).

Tier 2: When doing cold damage, can take 1 essence burn to do a burst around self. 10ft radius increasing by 5ft for every 4 levels above 4th (like all other tier 2 convergences). Fort halves.

Tier 3: At will Contact Other Plane, using a charisma check instead of an intelligence check. Also, you do not need to breathe and suffer no environmental damage for being in a vacuum, and your darkvision now pierces even magical darkness.

Tier 4: You acquire something of the madness of the Dark Tapestry. Any creature coming within 20ft of the nexus must make a will save or become confused. They get another save each round to end the effect, but otherwise it lasts indefinitely (even if they leave the aura). A creature which has saved against this cannot be affected by it again for 24 hours. The nexus can raise or lower this effect as a swift action.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Comments on my race?
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

29. - Top - End - #59

ClericGuy

I was drafting my character as a "terminator" like robot with similar capabilities as the T-3000. Though I'd rather play the "gentle giant" instead of the "Murderous machine", I know it's cliché but I like it.

As I said in the other thread, I'm working the idea of playing an Aegis (aberrant)/Egoist (if we go quadralt I'll proably just stack rogue and some other class on top of that). My idea is that he is an amalgam of nanomachines that are kept together through psychic energy that is realiant on a "core".

Thus I'm proposing a construct race (working on the name) with the clockwork subtype. His key would be the psychic core that is needed to recharge the nanites every few days, otherwise he just disintegrates.

Back to the gentle giant part, my idea is that he is not in posession of his core anymore, it is being kept by some third party and he has no choice but to work for this third party or disintegrate. I'm also still working on who that third party would be and I'm very open to sugestions.

Finally, I'm having the feeling that the character is not "weird enough" based on some of other comments here, but I still want to play a terminator/iron giant character.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Arael666 View Post
    I was drafting my character as a "terminator" like robot with similar capabilities as the T-3000. Though I'd rather play the "gentle giant" instead of the "Murderous machine", I know it's cliché but I like it.

As I said in the other thread, I'm working the idea of playing an Aegis (aberrant)/Egoist (if we go quadralt I'll proably just stack rogue and some other class on top of that). My idea is that he is an amalgam of nanomachines that are kept together through psychic energy that is realiant on a "core".

Thus I'm proposing a construct race (working on the name) with the clockwork subtype. His key would be the psychic core that is needed to recharge the nanites every few days, otherwise he just disintegrates.

Back to the gentle giant part, my idea is that he is not in posession of his core anymore, it is being kept by some third party and he has no choice but to work for this third party or disintegrate. I'm also still working on who that third party would be and I'm very open to sugestions.

Finally, I'm having the feeling that the character is not "weird enough" based on some of other comments here, but I still want to play a terminator/iron giant character.
    That sounds like a good character idea.