Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Shadows of the Final Dawn AP: Homebrew Psionic, Psychic, Akashic Sci-Fi Setting

I'll join in too with my WIP Crimson Osprey

Technically 'confiscated' from a weapon-smuggling ring, Crimson Osprey has been deep in the Kaa'Tulpa moon-dream for a while. She wakes up in unfamiliar surroundings, told that she is now in "protective custody" by the Psiquisition. She is.. not unhappy with her situation, after all, the barriers keep most of the whispers of the Outer Chaos from her mind. But she does ache for the dream-touch of her friends.

She recalls a lot of the War, a lot of killing and pain. She also remembers the softness of the moon-dream, the sense of peace and loving which the Sapphire Mother imbues it. She remembers being woken up now and again by 'purchasers', and asked to fight and kill for whatever their needs were at the time. She is a Murder-Maker after all, even with their self-proclaimed identity as Kaa'Tulpa. But now, in the quietness of this prison, cut off from both the Fathomless Dream and the Moon Dream, she begins to long for... something to do.

She is, remember, still a child at spirit. And children get bored.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Final Dawn AP: Homebrew Psionic, Psychic, Akashic Sci-Fi Setting

I have a request, which I'm making now as they significantly affect the PoW part of my build and rulings on them are likely to affect anyone using Akasha.

Akashic Magic has a lot of weapon-like veils. Frankly, it assumes you'll be using one of them, or using an essence-forged weapon. Unfortunately, there's an understandable lack of laser pistols and suchlike!

The trait Flexible Forms provides a workaround for this, letting you exchange the weapon of a veil for some other weapon of the same type. But as a trait, you can only take it once per normal rules. I'd like to make use of two different weapon veils (ranged and melee - don't worry, I have a plan for getting in melee range). It's also unclear which weapon-like veils actually count as ranged, since several are melee weapons which are clearly mainly meant to be thrown.

1) Can I use Flexible Forms to change Mjolnir into, say, an arc pistol?
    2) As a house rule, can we take it twice for two different veils?
    3) Since it's basically a trait tax in this setting and Akashic Magic is supposed to be advanced technology anyway, can we get its effects for free on every weapon-like veil?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Hah, I knew posting my sheet would get others to.

And genth, I'm impressed with your crit range. Cowering behind my ac, but impressed.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

4. - Top - End - #214

BardGuy

Very WIP sheet for Meed the Tinker. Won't be able to work on it much this weekend, unfortunately.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    I have a request, which I'm making now as they significantly affect the PoW part of my build and rulings on them are likely to affect anyone using Akasha.

Akashic Magic has a lot of weapon-like veils. Frankly, it assumes you'll be using one of them, or using an essence-forged weapon. Unfortunately, there's an understandable lack of laser pistols and suchlike!

The trait Flexible Forms provides a workaround for this, letting you exchange the weapon of a veil for some other weapon of the same type. But as a trait, you can only take it once per normal rules. I'd like to make use of two different weapon veils (ranged and melee - don't worry, I have a plan for getting in melee range). It's also unclear which weapon-like veils actually count as ranged, since several are melee weapons which are clearly mainly meant to be thrown.

1) Can I use Flexible Forms to change Mjolnir into, say, an arc pistol?
    2) As a house rule, can we take it twice for two different veils?
    3) Since it's basically a trait tax in this setting and Akashic Magic is supposed to be advanced technology anyway, can we get its effects for free on every weapon-like veil?
    This all seems reasonable to me, I was considering making something like the essence-forging abilities part of the base -- one of the ideas of this setting is that there is residual supernatural essence all over the place.

6. - Top - End - #216

So, just to be clear, does anyone want to increase the allocation of Oath points or combine it w/ one of the other ABP-esque systems? I'm trying to finalize the build rules area

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarius5555 View Post
    So, just to be clear, does anyone want to increase the allocation of Oath points or combine it w/ one of the other ABP-esque systems? I'm trying to finalize the build rules area
    Stay with 15.

Also, questions 2 and 3 above are one or the other, you can't agree to both.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Hah, I knew posting my sheet would get others to.
    I'm waiting for completely finalized character creation rules before I really get to work on it.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Stay with 15.

Also, questions 2 and 3 above are one or the other, you can't agree to both.
    You got enough feats to take additional traits ;)

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    You got enough feats to take additional traits ;)
    Wasn't originally my question. Was just pointing out the two questions had mutually exclusive answers.

I'm pretty happy with where I'm sitting at.

Don't be stupid.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

I'd leave it as it is right now.

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I'd leave it as it is right now.
    Yeah. If anyone wants more oath points, presumably they can always make some oaths.

13. - Top - End - #223

Yeah. If anyone wants more oath points, presumably they can always make some oaths.
    That's sort of what I was thinking too.

14. - Top - End - #224

Once we get this game up and running I'd be interested to know if anyone finds this setting sufficient intriguing to want to do another game in an earlier age.

This world has 10 or 11 ages, each of which are like a separate campaign setting. The 9th age is inspired by Dark Sun and a bunch of other stuff (scarred lands, lankhmar, Dune, etc.); the 5th age is inspired by Earthdawn and Ghostwalk; the 3rd age is inspired by Council of Wyrms, the Diamond Throne, and the Known World, and the 1st age is an underwater, arctic, high tech setting.

The earlier ages had some, though not all of the elements that are missing in the present, like more diverse forms of arcane magic and races like elves (though they're still different from other worlds).
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2021-03-07 at 06:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225

If such a game happened, and was set post-humans, then I could technically play Narwame again :)

16. - Top - End - #226

If such a game happened, and was set post-humans, then I could technically play Narwame again :)
    There's a whole story as to how and why they go extinct. They still exist in small numbers in the 9th/10th age (the one right before this game).

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

That's sort of what I was thinking too.
    I would, but other than maybe energy resistance, there's not a lot else I want. I can't get any more bonus talents than I already have.
    Once we get this game up and running I'd be interested to know if anyone finds this setting sufficient intriguing to want to do another game in an earlier age.

This world has 10 or 11 ages, each of which are like a separate campaign setting. The 9th age is inspired by Dark Sun and a bunch of other stuff (scarred lands, lankhmar, Dune, etc.); the 5th age is inspired by Earthdawn and Ghostwalk; the 3rd age is inspired by Council of Wyrms, the Diamond Throne, and the Known World, and the 1st age is an underwater, arctic, high tech setting.

The earlier ages had some, though not all of the elements that are missing in the present, like more diverse forms of arcane magic and races like elves (though they're still different from other worlds).
    I'd be up for it.

Don't be stupid.

18. - Top - End - #228

There's a whole story as to how and why they go extinct. They still exist in small numbers in the 9th/10th age (the one right before this game).
    Huh, ok, that's rather later than I thought. Slightly disappointing, actually, I was imagining the Aira having existed through at least two or three ages.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Just as an FYI, the fourth track for Crimson Osprey is a Voidborn Psychic. So yes, going for the full quadfecta of Akashic (albeit Spheres of Power mechanics via Armorist), Psionics (Cryptic), Path of War (Stalker) and Psychic Magic (Psychic). Soul, Mind, Body and Spirit all in accord.

Later, I'd be keen on getting ideas from people on neat ways to fluff and maybe lightly mechanics some Armorist abilities, particularly the summoned and bound weapons, to be more Akashic. With Akasha as Cybertech, the angle I am going for is that as a body composed of nano-organic mircocyberorganisms, the Kaa'Tulpa's physical abilities are based on the manipulation of soul-energy throughout their body. Hence why they can make and power many different weapons, interface wtih technology and create charges, and protect themselves from harm.

I was gonna have more alteration in there in terms of the body changing up as required, but given that she's primarily ranged in effect, there's not much alteration stuff that would help her. Best I could get was flight, and I get flight more easily from other places. But if anyone has cool fluffy ideas for nanotech stuff she should be able to do, I have plenty of feats for extra magical talents still.

20. - Top - End - #230

Huh, ok, that's rather later than I thought. Slightly disappointing, actually, I was imagining the Aira having existed through at least two or three ages.
    Well, they've also lasted different lengths of time. It's been at least 100 millions years since the end of the previous age. The planet itself is widely believed, for those who have any interest to speculate about and knowledge of the matter, to be like 4 quadrillion or more years old.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Just as an FYI, the fourth track for Crimson Osprey is a Voidborn Psychic. So yes, going for the full quadfecta of Akashic (albeit Spheres of Power mechanics via Armorist), Psionics (Cryptic), Path of War (Stalker) and Psychic Magic (Psychic). Soul, Mind, Body and Spirit all in accord.
    I thought we were settled on normal gestalt, not quad?

If nothing else, I feel like giving everyone four classes is gonna lead to general sameyness of characters.

22. - Top - End - #232

I thought we were settled on normal gestalt, not quad?

If nothing else, I feel like giving everyone four classes is gonna lead to general sameyness of characters.
    We considered both options and ended up going with 4.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

We considered both options and ended up going with 4.
    Alrighty. Are we finalized on how characters will be built? I don't want to get deep into it and have to change.

And if we are finalized, could I have a post spelling it all out please? Rather than having to search throughout the thread.

24. - Top - End - #234

Alrighty. Are we finalized on how characters will be built? I don't want to get deep into it and have to change.

And if we are finalized, could I have a post spelling it all out please? Rather than having to search throughout the thread.
    I've been updating the rules in the 3rd post as we've discussed things. It should be up to date now.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

I've been updating the rules in the 3rd post as we've discussed things. It should be up to date now.
    That is... a lot of feats. Like eight feats per level?

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

More like 8 and 4 alternaing. We've discussed this in the thread already as well. Yeah it's a lot, but it'll be fine ultimately

27. - Top - End - #237

There's a table with the numbers in that post.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

There's a table with the numbers in that post.
    Yeah. I think I'm going to have to bow out of this. The idea of the game is cool, but the character creation is going to be way too much work. With that many classes and feats at each level, it's going to be a lot of time just filling up space rather than making meaningful choices.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I mean, you do you, but you could be surprised. I actually found it pretty neat to be able to mechanically build distinct parts of the character along each track.

30. - Top - End - #240

More like 8 and 4 alternaing. We've discussed this in the thread already as well. Yeah it's a lot, but it'll be fine ultimately
    Wait, I thought we were going with 4 every odd level?