Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Final Dawn AP: Homebrew Psionic, Psychic, Akashic Sci-Fi Setting

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    Wait, I thought we were going with 4 every odd level?
    I'm not aware we ever even entertained that scheme. In any event, I've posted what we're doing.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Final Dawn AP: Homebrew Psionic, Psychic, Akashic Sci-Fi Setting

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarius5555 View Post
    I'm not aware we ever even entertained that scheme. In any event, I've posted what we're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by pi4t
    As I said, I would much prefer it if we didn't have quite as many feats, getting the usual number times the number of classes. Then the feats-to-class abilities ratio wouldn't get thrown off too badly. As it is, I feel like I'm just going to pick every feat that's remotely related, meaning interesting build choices get trivialised.

If anyone wants more feats, they can always include Fighter and/or True Professional Rogue in their quadstalt.

(...)
    That seems like a reasonable restrict to me. Is everyone okay with that?
    Maybe I misunderstood and you were only referring to the second part of my post? This is back on page 5, immediately after a couple of other people also expressed concern at the number of feats.
    Last edited by pi4t; 2021-03-08 at 07:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243

Maybe I misunderstood and you were only referring to the second part of my post? This is back on page 5, immediately after a couple of other people also expressed concern at the number of feats.
    I never at any point intended to agree with anything other than what i posted.

EDIT: I see what the issue is -- I was only replying to the part about spheres and it's interactions with other systems, I didn't even see the first part.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2021-03-08 at 08:09 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244

Ah, I see. That makes sense. A bit of an unfortunate misunderstanding!

I'll redo that aspect of my character, then. I've invested enough thought into her that I want to actually play her now. But to be honest, I'm less enthusiastic now than I was when I was trying to decide which feats I most wanted, rather than trying to find anything worth spending a feat on.

For my pact magic progression, could I spend a number of feats on learning to bind a fourth spirit? Normally there's no feat for that (the only way to bind more than one spirit at a time is by gaining pactmaker levels) but I could see it being reasonable in exchange for a large number of feats.

Do the "fighter bonus feats" from the progression have to be combat feats?

Edit: I think Lochar was under the same impression as me in terms of feats, as far as I can see from A1er7's character sheet.
    Last edited by pi4t; 2021-03-08 at 08:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245

Player Character Race Classes Description
    pi4t Narwame Aria (Undying amnesiacs) Pactmaker, Mesmerist, Nexus, Aegis Spirit summoner, social manipulator, and learner of hidden knowledge.
    Lochar A1er7 Kinasi (Psionic spider AIs) Psion (telepath), Incanter, Hedgewitch, Unchained Rogue Explorer trying to trade in knowledge
    greenpotato Emija Beastfriend Elan Hunter, Ranger, Alchemist, Incanter Barbarian animal friend with a gun
    Genth Crimson Osprey Kaa'Tulpa Armorist, Stalker, Cryptic, ??? Lost soul of a child turned into a weapon
    Hellfire014 Meed the Tinker Krashyt Voyager, Technician, Armorist, Hedgewitch Timey wimey goblinoid tinker

Did I miss anyone?
    Last edited by pi4t; 2021-03-08 at 09:12 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, I see. That makes sense. A bit of an unfortunate misunderstanding!

I'll redo that aspect of my character, then. I've invested enough thought into her that I want to actually play her now. But to be honest, I'm less enthusiastic now than I was when I was trying to decide which feats I most wanted, rather than trying to find anything worth spending a feat on.

For my pact magic progression, could I spend a number of feats on learning to bind a fourth spirit? Normally there's no feat for that (the only way to bind more than one spirit at a time is by gaining pactmaker levels) but I could see it being reasonable in exchange for a large number of feats.

Do the "fighter bonus feats" from the progression have to be combat feats?

Edit: I think Lochar was under the same impression as me in terms of feats, as far as I can see from A1er7's character sheet.
    Yeah, from what I was able to parse.

Every side of the quadstalt leveled on it's own, then they each got fighter bonuses feats.

So I had, at a minimum.

1: Level 1/Fighter Bonus 1//Level 1/Fighter Bonus 1//Level 1/Fighter Bonus 1//Level 1/Fighter Bonus 1
    2: Fighter Bonus 2//Fighter Bonus 2//Fighter Bonus 2//Fighter Bonus 2
    3: Level 3//Level 3//Level 3//Level 3
    Etc.

If I'm off, then Marcarius you're going to need to break out that table you wrote on the first page better. And then I'm probably going to need to wipe A1er7 and rebuild if the feat chains are too different.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2021-03-08 at 09:31 AM.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Yeah, from what I was able to parse.

Every side of the quadstalt leveled on it's own, then they each got fighter bonuses feats.

So I had, at a minimum.

1: Level 1/Fighter Bonus 1//Level 1/Fighter Bonus 1//Level 1/Fighter Bonus 1//Level 1/Fighter Bonus 1
    2: Fighter Bonus 2//Fighter Bonus 2//Fighter Bonus 2//Fighter Bonus 2
    3: Level 3//Level 3//Level 3//Level 3//Level 3

Etc.

If I'm off, then Marcarius you're going to need to break out that table you wrote on the first page better. And then I'm probably going to need to wipe A1er7 and rebuild if the feat chains are too different.
    If I understand correctly now, each side gets a feat per level, and fighter bonus feats. Or bonus feats at the same rate as a fighter would get them, but they can be spent on anything. I'm not sure which.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

If I understand correctly now, each side gets a feat per level, and fighter bonus feats. Or bonus feats at the same rate as a fighter would get them, but they can be spent on anything. I'm not sure which.
    Huh. If I get to go back and adjust upwards in power? There's not going to be much standing in the way of any one of our characters, much less a party of them. I can already burn about 10% of my spellpoints to throw three save or suck Will to a nigh infinite number of people in a single round. Or one round of up to three save or suck Fort to put six to sleep, which then makes you helpless against the teleporting stuff.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

9. - Top - End - #249

The usual pathfinder progression for feats is 1 every other level. Instead of that you get a different amount. This different amount is equal to the number of feats a fighter gets who is receiving 1 feat per level and their bonus feats. That entire sum is what is in place of 1 every other level. Just like the base '1 every other level', you can spend them how you want.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

The usual pathfinder progression for feats is 1 every other level. Instead of that you get a different amount. This different amount is equal to the number of feats a fighter gets who is receiving 1 feat per level and their bonus feats. That entire sum is what is in place of 1 every other level. Just like the base '1 every other level', you can spend them how you want.
    Ah, the fighter thing threw me off. I assumed they were actually fighter bonus feats.

So we don't count as fighter levels, but we do get more feats. That's fixable then. More broken than I expected, but fixable.

I know you mentioned at one point doing some combat testing of a few PCs. Do you want to test that at some point?

Don't be stupid.

11. - Top - End - #251

Yes, when anyone finishes a character I can set up a thread on a discord

12. - Top - End - #252

Can I repeat my question about spending feats to bind extra spirits? It's...well, in a sense it's a significant power increase, but then we have a significant number of feats to spend and there aren't all that many pact magic feats available.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Before I start adding more stuff, the Advanced Talents from Spheres explicitly calls out for GM approval as an optional system.

Are you:

A: OK with them in general
    B: Approving individual talents on a single basis
    C: Not OK with them?

Don't be stupid.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

So is this still open for recruiting?

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Before I start adding more stuff, the Advanced Talents from Spheres explicitly calls out for GM approval as an optional system.

Are you:

Sheet's basically finished. I'll add Advanced Talents in place of Extra Spell Points if you're good with them, but I can run a combat for you if you'd like.

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #256

ClericGuy

I'm really sorry but I'll be dropping out. I guess I had no idea how much work intensive building a character like this would be. I simply do not not have the time right now.

17. - Top - End - #257

Can I repeat my question about spending feats to bind extra spirits? It's...well, in a sense it's a significant power increase, but then we have a significant number of feats to spend and there aren't all that many pact magic feats available.
    I'm not really sure, that's a complicated question of equivalence. How do you even price that?

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Nightraiderx View Post
    So is this still open for recruiting?
    yes, it is

19. - Top - End - #259

Are you:

you can use them

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm not really sure, that's a complicated question of equivalence. How do you even price that?
    Make it so you can take the feat once, plus one time per 5 levels or something, or make it so that the feat-slot spirit only works at level-4. That's how other classes balance getting extra class features that are a bit too powerful.

-----------

Did you come to a decision about Starfinder's weapons and equipment? I've been assuming they're kosher and was gonna wait until discord to discuss the other bits and pieces but since you're answering questions here...

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    Make it so you can take the feat once, plus one time per 5 levels or something, or make it so that the feat-slot spirit only works at level-4. That's how other classes balance getting extra class features that are a bit too powerful.

-----------

Did you come to a decision about Starfinder's weapons and equipment? I've been assuming they're kosher and was gonna wait until discord to discuss the other bits and pieces but since you're answering questions here...
    Explain how the starfinder thing would work to me again

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

you can use them
    Ok.

Done and ready when you are.

Don't be stupid.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Explain how the starfinder thing would work to me again
    All the Starfinder Weapons can be found here: https://www.aonsrd.com/Weapons.aspx

Starfinder weapons have some unique elements:

1) They have a level to them, essentially representing how rare the weapons are. I suggest that the level limit be made at 12, as Party Level +2 is usually considered the limit for what a major settlement can provide. (Espeicially since we're not bothing with wealth as a mechanic)

2) They can have unique effects when they crit, such as Burn which sets the target on fire, or Arc, which arcs the shot to a second person. All the crit rules can be found here

3) They have some unique properties such as Blast (it shoots in a cone, one attack roll one damage roll for all enemies caught in it) or Sniper (If you take a move action to aim, you get to use the super-long range incremement). These can be found here

The reason you should allow them is because in a game focused on the future with high-tech stuff running around, having a really wide variety and depth of weapons will help both us the players to be more high tech, but also give you the GM plenty of toys to use.

There is also a case for allowing the equipment. Armor is the only one where I feel the rules probably break down, because AC and to-hits are handled very differently in Starfinder, with Armor itself being pretty much the only thing that increases your AC, hence it has very high numbers and a breakdown into Kinetic and Energy armor class which don't quite work with Pathfinder.

24. - Top - End - #264

Tricky to say. It's possible to get binding (of a single 1st level spirit) for a single feat, but I consider that feat rather overpowered. Maybe the best way is to look at archetypes? There's an archetype for pretty much every core, base and hybrid class that swaps out something for the ability to bind a single spirit. That's not quite as powerful as giving the pactmaker another spirit (it only goes up to binding 6th level spirits, and some have additional restrictions and quirks) but it's pretty close. The difference between different levels of spirit isn't as great as you might think. The main way your power as a binder increases (other than adding more spirits) is by an increase of your binder level, which makes even low level spirits far more powerful. I can bind 5th level spirits, but two of the six spirits I've picked out as being my favourites are only second level.

If we can find a value in feats for what pacting archetypes give up, I think that will be about the same value as adding an extra spirit. Maybe add a feat because of the extra constellation aspect the pactmaker gets.

Spoiler: What archetypes give up
    Show

By "Diminished casting" I mean the class loses 1 spell slot per spell level. "Tunnelled lore" is an extra restriction that limits you to summoning spirits of one particular constellation of your choice, making the ability a bit less valuable. I'm ignoring archetypes which only let you bind one specific spirit, or don't give you binding at all.

Alchemist: Bombs, diminished casting
    Arcanist: 1 pool point per 4 levels, 1 exploit, diminished casting, tunnelled lore
    Barbarian A: 5 rage powers (spirit level grows a little slower than normal)
    Barbarian B: 3 levels of rage (and only 1 round per level you do have), fast movement, DR, tunnelled lore
    Bard: Bardic knowledge, diminished casting, tunnelled lore
    Bloodrager: Spells, fast movement
    Brawler: Martial Training, unarmed combat. Also gives up martial flexibility for an equivalent ability getting minor granted abilities from spirits
    Cavalier: Mount, order's challenge bonus, tunnelled lore
    Cleric: Domain, channel energy, tunnelled lore
    Druid A: Animal companion, diminished casting, can only bind spirits that are naturey
    Druid B: Animal companion, fluff abilities, tunneled lore, wild shape gets restricted
    Fighter: 2 bonus feats (only! I guess they thought fighters needed a buff?)
    Gunslinger: Grit restoration methods, 2/3 of deeds (your choice which to lose, so not as bad as it sounds - most are rubbish), tunnelled lore
    Hunter: Diminished casting, 1st animal focus
    Inquisitor A: 1st Judgement, Diminished casting, tunelled lore
    Inquisitor B: 1st Judgement, diminished casting
    Investigator: Alchemy
    Magus: Arcane pool, diminished casting
    Monk: Stunning fist, AC bonus, fast movement, tunnelled lore
    Oracle: Mystery spells, beneficial aspects of curse, diminished casting
    Paladin: Spells, tunnelled lore
    Ranger: Wild empathy, spells
    Rogue: Most of sneak attack (it's reduced to minimum unless it's your spirit's favoured enemy)
    Shaman: Spirit abilities, Tunnelled Lore
    Skald A: Scribe scroll, 3 rage powers
    Skald B: Bardic knowledge, diminished casting, tunnelled lore
    Slayer: 3 talents, fluff, ability to study more than 1 target at a time, tunnelled lore
    Sorcerer: Bloodline spells, diminished casting, tunnelled lore
    Summoner: Eidolon
    Swashbuckler: 2/3 of deeds (your choice which to lose, so not as bad as it sounds - most are rubbish), panache regeneration
    Warpriest: 1 blessing, sacred weapon, diminished casting
    Witch: 1 hex, access to major hexes, dimished casting, tunnelled lore
    Wizard: Arcane bond, arcane school (still gets opposition schools), lesser tunnelled lore

So what patterns do we see from this?

Among spellcasters, it seems fairly clear - if you have 6 or 9 spell levels you lose 1 spell per level. If you have 4 you lose them all. You then also give up one or two other small class features, and may or may not get tunnelled lore depending on what else the archetype is doing. If we can find a price in bonus feats for 4 spell levels, then that will more or less be the same price as a spirit.

Among noncasters, it's a lot more varied, but generally seems to come out at around 3-5 feats across their whole career. Brawler has an intriguing hint at the balance they're aiming at: their signature ability goes from giving them a flexible feat to giving a flexible minor granted ability, suggesting aa minor ability is worth about a feat.

So how much is the lost spellcasting worth? There aren't many archetypes that give up 4 levels of casting, but as far as I can tell they give about 5 feats across 20 levels in exchange. The Tempered Champion is the best example of this. (For what it's worth, Spheres of Might also agrees these two are equivalent, more explicitly).

Diminished spellcasting is much harder to price, unfortunately; but there are a couple of instances of it and armour proficiencies being exchanged for weapon focus and stat-to-AC. Mostly, it seems to be used when they'd already written the archetype and realised it was too strong!

Another way of looking at diminished spellcasting is to think about how much buying that back would cost, in feats. Rogue Genius (they of the ever-dubious balance) made a feat that gave you 2 spell slots - it can be taken multiple times, and will give you extra slots in order. 3.5 had a feat that gave a single extra slot, but could be retrained to grow with you as you levelled up. Precedent suggests diminished casting is therefore worth about 3-5 feats (depending slightly on whether it's 6 or 9 levels).

Based on all these, I'd suggest that 5 feats might be an appropriate price for an extra spirit? That would effectively be 1 per ability. Or 1 per spirit level, if you prefer.

25. - Top - End - #265

I got a few feat slots open and have yet to look at equipment (as the rules havnt been solidified there) but Im like 90% done.
    Also planning on being a white sands barbarian, so instead of fancy laser guns gonna use "crude" weapons like machine guns.
    Last edited by greenpotato; 2021-03-08 at 07:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    All the Starfinder Weapons can be found here: https://www.aonsrd.com/Weapons.aspx

Starfinder weapons have some unique elements:

1) They have a level to them, essentially representing how rare the weapons are. I suggest that the level limit be made at 12, as Party Level +2 is usually considered the limit for what a major settlement can provide. (Espeicially since we're not bothing with wealth as a mechanic)

2) They can have unique effects when they crit, such as Burn which sets the target on fire, or Arc, which arcs the shot to a second person. All the crit rules can be found here

3) They have some unique properties such as Blast (it shoots in a cone, one attack roll one damage roll for all enemies caught in it) or Sniper (If you take a move action to aim, you get to use the super-long range incremement). These can be found here

The reason you should allow them is because in a game focused on the future with high-tech stuff running around, having a really wide variety and depth of weapons will help both us the players to be more high tech, but also give you the GM plenty of toys to use.

There is also a case for allowing the equipment. Armor is the only one where I feel the rules probably break down, because AC and to-hits are handled very differently in Starfinder, with Armor itself being pretty much the only thing that increases your AC, hence it has very high numbers and a breakdown into Kinetic and Energy armor class which don't quite work with Pathfinder.
    Okay, that sounds fine, I'll update the build rules later

27. - Top - End - #267

Ok.

Done and ready when you are.
    Okay do you have discord?

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, but I don't do voice usually.

Don't be stupid.

29. - Top - End - #269

Yes, but I don't do voice usually.
    I'm not planning on doing voice, I just don't know where to put a trial combat thread on these forums. It's going to gum up the recruitment thread if we do it here.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Unfortunate that I cannot build Ekko from LOL with human out. The voyager class parallel action feature and some powers bear similarities to his skill set and ultimate.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-03-08 at 08:52 PM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."