New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Tyrannosaurus??? HA!

It's all about the Titanosaurus

We are gonna attack a city. Tyrannosaurus isn't good enough. This is a war.

I'll cast Tenser's on myself and hold a bottle of potion of growth in my mouth... my friend here will do the same, minus Tenser's Transformation.
    We have 2 sorcerers. You twin haste... you twin polymorph titanosaurus.

Time to twin godzilla the enemy stronghold

Not theory crafting, this is a plan for an upcoming session.... except we think one of us might be a giant ape instead of a titanosaurus.... so he can ride the other in.
    Last edited by Aaedimus; 2021-03-02 at 07:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Tyrannosaurus??? HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaedimus View Post
    It's all about the Titanosaurus

We are gonna attack a city. Tyrannosaurus isn't good enough. This is a war.

I'll cast Tenser's on myself and hold a bottle of potion of growth in my mouth... my friend here will do the same, minus Tenser's Transformation.
    We have 2 sorcerers. You twin haste... you twin polymorph titanosaurus.

Not theory crafting, this is a plan for an upcoming session.... except we think one of us might be a giant ape instead of a titanosaurus.... so he can ride the other in.
    Yeah, Titanosaurus is massively OP for its CR, even without the legendary actions (which you don't get when Polymorphed). I would have rated it closer to CR 12 than CR 7 myself.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

For bonus points, somebody should play the Jurassic Park theme on their phone while this scene happens.

A trick used at my table has been polymorphing an actual TRex into a mouse. And then tying it to an arrow.

You shoot the arrow, it lands, the mouse loses the 2 HP it had from fall damage, and boom, TRex.
    Last edited by Angelalex242; 2021-03-02 at 08:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    For bonus points, somebody should play the Jurassic Park theme on their phone while this scene happens.

A trick used at my table has been polymorphing an actual TRex into a mouse. And then tying it to an arrow.

You shoot the arrow, it lands, the mouse loses the 2 HP it had from fall damage, and boom, TRex.
    I sometimes call this trick "Purple Worm Grenade". You can release concentration at will, so just throw the Purple Worm-as-a-toad at a bad guy, run away with all your movement, and release concentration!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

What is a titanosaurus and where is it from? The only search results I'm finding seem to be marked as homebrew.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    What is a titanosaurus and where is it from? The only search results I'm finding seem to be marked as homebrew.
    It's homebrew as far as quality goes (just like Tasha's, frankly) but "blessed" by AL for use in AL play.

See https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/220567
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-03-02 at 09:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    It’s in a weird, official but not official place.

When Tomb of Annihilation was released, they worked with some of their freelancers on creating content for DMs Guild, which had just launched.

And their content received a sort of seal of approval, getting the thumbs up even for AL use but wasn’t ever included in any official print book.

Also included in that content is the Entropy Domain for Clerics.

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfFighterGuy

... a bottle of potion of growth in my mouth...
    What is this supposed to achieve?

This would be a lot more effective with a party of up to 650 adventurerers or more. Two enormous dinosaurs? How about up to 300 or more!

-DF

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFighter View Post
    ... a bottle of potion of growth in my mouth...
    What is this supposed to achieve?
    I'm pretty sure the intent is to drink the potion after the Polymorph has taken effect, so that the transformed state gets the benefit of the potion instead of the PC's base form being under the potion's effect, which the Polymorph would override if it were applied after the potion was used as the standard ruling is conditions don't transfer to polymorphed states?

10. - Top - End - #10

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zhorn View Post
    I'm pretty sure the intent is to drink the potion after the Polymorph has taken effect, so that the transformed state gets the benefit of the potion instead of the PC's base form being under the potion's effect, which the Polymorph would override if it were applied after the potion was used as the standard ruling is conditions don't transfer to polymorphed states?
    But it takes an action to drink a potion, does it not? And that would also require hands?

It seems to me that the OP is making use of creatively applied game mechanics to achieve the "good stuff", but appears to rely on "narrative" where the game mechanics are inconvenient.

I'm sure the GM would allow that, though. But it must be a bit demotivating for the players to have this great plan for unleashing unparalleled destruction, and have the GM "allow it" instead of being forced to accept it.

-DF

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFighter View Post
    But it takes an action to drink a potion, does it not? And that would also require hands?
    Yes it takes an action to drink or administer a potion by RAW, but funnily enough the requirement of using hands to do so is absent from the books. A very reasonable ruling, but not a RAW requirement.
    But in this regard, the poster has made a case for getting around the 'lack of hands' issue by pursing the potion in their mouth ready to drink after the Polymorph takes effect.
    Where it actually falls over (not that I'd condone being this kind of DM, just pointing it out for discussion purposes) is in the last lines of the spell text of Polymorph itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p266
    Polymorph
    The target's gear melds into the new form. The creature can't activate, use, wield, or otherwise benefit from any of its equipment.
    So technically if the poster wanted to use the potion on their polymorph form, they'll need another player to take the potion and use an action to administer it after the Polymorph casting. Otherwise having the potion on their person would include it into their collective 'gear', resulting it it melding into their transformation and rendering it unusable.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    It’s in a weird, official but not official place.

When Tomb of Annihilation was released, they worked with some of their freelancers on creating content for DMs Guild, which had just launched.

And their content received a sort of seal of approval, getting the thumbs up even for AL use but wasn’t ever included in any official print book.

Also included in that content is the Entropy Domain for Clerics.
    So it's officially unofficial, but unofficcially official? Better call that famous Whispers Bard, Sir Humphrey Appleby!
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2021-03-04 at 07:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

BarbarianGuy

So technically if the poster wanted to use the potion on their polymorph form, they'll need another player to take the potion and use an action to administer it after the Polymorph casting. Otherwise having the potion on their person would include it into their collective 'gear', resulting it it melding into their transformation and rendering it unusable.
    Yeah, I agree with that interpretation of RAW, but OUCH! That'd be a tough blow to the players. Like, "I'm afraid I can't make next session 'cause stuff came up" sort of tough.

However, the sheer awesomeness of the plan will surely make its way into tavern songs sung far and wide. Someone could plausibly use this against them in the future. The risk of being too awesome.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JonBeowulf View Post
    Yeah, I agree with that interpretation of RAW, but OUCH! That'd be a tough blow to the players. Like, "I'm afraid I can't make next session 'cause stuff came up" sort of tough.
    Hence why I don't condone being that kind of DM.
    I'm normally very RAW adherent, but there's a slew of smaller things, be it in strict RAW or from dev RAI, where I go "I respect your authority on the rules, but I'm choosing to ignore this on grounds of it being a stupid rule, and I want to let my player have their fun"

15. - Top - End - #15

Hence why I don't condone being that kind of DM.
    I'm normally very RAW adherent, but there's a slew of smaller things, be it in strict RAW or from dev RAI, where I go "I respect your authority on the rules, but I'm choosing to ignore this on grounds of it being a stupid rule, and I want to let my player have their fun"
    "I respect your authority on the rules, but it's a dumb rule so, I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2021-03-04 at 12:46 PM. Reason: minus "even so," plus "dumb rule"
    Favorite Builds:
    Tank
    True Ninja
    Relentless
    EB Sniper (post 18/23)
    Gestalts

'Brew:
    My 4E Fix
    Actual Martial Arts
    Sorcerous Origins bonus spells. + Metamagics in post #17

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HPisBS View Post
    "I respect your authority on the rules, but even so, I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
    Eh. Rule 0.

17. - Top - End - #17

Yes it takes an action to drink or administer a potion by RAW, but funnily enough the requirement of using hands to do so is absent from the books. A very reasonable ruling, but not a RAW requirement.
    But in this regard, the poster has made a case for getting around the 'lack of hands' issue by pursing the potion in their mouth ready to drink after the Polymorph takes effect.
    Where it actually falls over (not that I'd condone being this kind of DM, just pointing it out for discussion purposes) is in the last lines of the spell text of Polymorph itself.

Basically, you don't have hands... but you're gonna be gargantuan anyways, so either you have someone else administer it, or stick it in your mouth and just tip your head back after Polymorphed

I'd say that if you count this as a held action it's a RAW way to self administer a potion after polymorphed.
    Always remember: The DM's first job, is to make sure the players are having fun

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say that if you count this as a held action it's a RAW way to self administer a potion after polymorphed.
    Unfortunately not.
    I'd rule it as working at my table because it's the more fun way to do it, but as pointed out in the prior post, the target's gear is melded into the new form by RAW, so even if you do have a way to self-administer a potion after the polymorph, you wouldn't be able to access it if you were holding it at the time of transformation.
    You could potentially leave it on the ground and attempt to retrieve it after being polymorphed, but that would require your normal turn since picking up would only be possible as an object interaction during your turn, and administering a potion takes an action. As a held action, you could pick it up, or attempt to administer it, but not both, and you cannot administer it if you don't have it on your person, but if you had it on your person prior to the Polymorph it is them merged into the form... Yeah, RAW is just silly in how much it stops this from working.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

That feels like a funky reading of gear though. My understanding was that gear just meant weapons, armor, backpack, etc. basically anything you were wearing. I wouldn’t count a potion being held in your mouth as part of your gear, cause it isn’t something you are wearing or holding like a sword is, which would still allow this to work RAW and not just RAI.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemike137 View Post
    That feels like a funky reading of gear though. My understanding was that gear just meant weapons, armor, backpack, etc. basically anything you were wearing. I wouldn’t count a potion being held in your mouth as part of your gear, cause it isn’t something you are wearing or holding like a sword is, which would still allow this to work RAW and not just RAI.
    So if you're holding an item, you are forced to drop it when polymorphed?
    Or if it's potions in particular not counted as gear then the potions in your backpack are not merged into the form with the backpack and are thus dropped to the ground when polymorphed?
    Or if it's being held in your mouth, it's not actually held? So a weapon targeted by heat metal you can swap to gripping it in your mouth, thus it's no longer being 'held or worn'?
    Sounds more like trying to allow this to work with that different justification is just opening up more and more loopholes.

or
    Since healing potions are classed under adventuring gear, therefor potions in general are adventuring gear, and if it is your possession as being held or worn in any form (or held in a container that you are holding or wearing) it is all classed the same way?
    Gear and equipment is a very broad category, and if it's an object that can be carried or worn, then just treat it under the same ruleset rather than making special exceptions.
    Last edited by Zhorn; 2021-03-05 at 04:46 AM.