New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Artificer Wand revolver

Hi there!
    So here‘s my plan:
    I want to build an 3.5 artificer (blastificer) with a revolver that holds 5 or 6 wands, so that the character could swap through the wands and trigger said wand with a trigger just like a revolver.
    How do i write that down? How can i do that? What‘s the best build/classes/feats i could go for?
    Usually with our gm it‘s like this: We‘re allowed to use the core and one extra book like e.g Eberron. If i asked him I‘m sure i can use 2 extra books, but i don‘t think I’ll get more out of him.
    What do you guys think and how would you build it? Basically i want to go for full damage, badass with a gun that shoots magic, i like that the artificer can build his own magic items, but another problem popped up here. How do i get around or how do i compensate for the experience level cost of making magic items? Thanks already!

Your‘s Noel_Eckardt

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Artificer Wand revolver

Without doubt, you will want to take levels in Cannith Wand Adept from Sharn: City of Towers, this is the only class that lets you Dual Wield Wands, and draw them as a free action from a Bandoleer or Belt, as well as upping any saving throw DCs. Complete Arcane has the Wandstrike Feat, which lets you smack people in melee with wands, costing a charge for a 1d6 damage, but more importantly, triggers the Wand strike at the same time.

As for gear, this thread lists some items that will be super useful for you, as well as their sources.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

There is no item that does what you want- there are items that let you draw wands quickly, even without magic, but they won't rotate between them: you'd have to drop them. There is the Rod of Many Wands magic item from Complete Mage that will let you fire a bunch of wands simultaneously (at a very high cost in charges), and also a Metamagic Wandgrip that could easily be described as looking the way you want, but neither of them do that.

Bottom line, unless Pathfinder has printed something that does this or I've managed to miss it for however many years, you're gonna need some homebrew.

As for PrCs, you almost certainly want Cannith Wand Adept from Sharn: City of Towers. It makes you way better at using wands, simple choice.

However, Cannith Wand Adept's dual wand wielding is worse than the feat in Complete Arcane, and you might want some CA spells to put in your wands. Alternatively, Magic of Eberron has some feats that let you quicken and empower your wands for free, which is obviously a big deal.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

There's precedent for something kind of like this. In Dungeonscape, p33, there's an item called the wand bracer. Nonmagical item, it's a set of metal tubes strapped to your arm with spring-loaded wands in them and little wires on your fingers to trigger them. You still have to be holding the wand in your hand to use them, though, so you have to drop a wand on the floor if you want to grab a new one. You could use some of that as a basis for talking to your GM about what your wand-revolver might do? But ultimately, this is homebrew talk-to-your-GM territory. There's no precedent at all (that I'm aware of) for triggering a wand with an actual trigger, rather than by holding it in your hand and invoking it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

So from Dungeonscape ais another thing called Wand Chambers, that basically puts a wand inside a weapon or shield.
    In 3.0 there is a book called the Arms and Equipment guide that gives you a crossbow called the deathwand crossbow
    In complete Scoundrel there is hidden weapons and bayonets.

So you get the deathwand crossbow that has two magic wand chambers. then put in a mundane chamber. Strap on a bayonet. Add another chamber to that.
    You now have a crossbow with 4 wands in it, letting you shoot or cast spells from it, or even use in melee.

Then get a buckler, add a chamber to it for another wand.

You can get two sleeve blades then with two more chambers.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You're playing an artificer, coming up with some kind of bulls#!t ultra weapon is half the point of the class.

In this case, your "weapon" is a glorified wand holster that alters the activation of the loaded wands from vocal to somatic. You can still only use one at a time, and you will still have to use a move-equivalent action to switch between wands, and it still uses up a charge to activate the wands. So, seems like all you are really gaining is not having to drop the wand to switch to the next...
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Imho Glove of Wands & Rod of many Wands are your best bet here.

Gloves of Wands
    Can store one wand per finger. (5 for a single glove, 10 for a pair).
    You don't need to retrieve the wands to use em. They can even get small bonuses if you store a specific effect type into each finger as bonus on top.

Rod of many Wands
    Can store up to 3 wands. The wands are activated simultaniously and consume charges depending on the amount of wands in the rod (1-3).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Artificer Wand revolver

Where can I find Gloves of Wands? Is that a Pathfinder item?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Where can I find Gloves of Wands? Is that a Pathfinder item?
    Seems I've been wrong on this items sadly. I thought it was official but so far I could only find a website mentioning it.. so maybe homebrew, or dragon dunno -.-

But upon digging I did find this nice old thread here.

It lists a few official wand storing items to choose from.

Most notable are:

Wand Bracer: 300g
    Stores up to 5 wands. retrieving is free. restoring them a full round action. But you can also drop the wands in emergency for quicker wand switches.

Bracer of Wands 60k for a pair
    Store up to 3 wands per bracer (consumes a charge). Use em as if you where holding em. Hands are free and can wield more wands.

Casting Glove
    Store a wand per glove. (and activate em as standard action). As with bracers of wands, your hands are still free to wield 2 more wands. This means up to 4 wands ready to use.