New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default A fix for the Brute Vigilante (PEACH)

Hello all! It's been a while since I've really sat down and made anything. Lately I've been a little inspired by the Legendary Classes, most of which fix classes that were a little subpar to begin with. And I've always liked the concept of the Brute Vigilante, but I've never liked anything about the execution. You're, at best, a larger, incredibly watered down fighter, with a penchant for fighting your own allies on accident. I like the idea of there being some risk, but I'd rather there be an actual reward, a real element of power. So I figured why not just turn the Brute into a Barbarian subclass for the Vigilante?

Looking at it, you might notice that the biggest difference is that there's no size change element, and I might add that later as a special "Brute Talent" and write up a few others to go with it, but for now I'd like to start with just this and see what everyone thinks. I want to be a little conservative, so as to not overshadow the Barbarian, but to at least be better than what was printed. The lack of a size change element is to reflect that not all Brutes must be that big, to perhaps allow for characters like Mr. Hyde without taking Alchemist levels, and to make characters based on the Hulk a little more grounded. A little less MCU Hulk, and a little more Lou Ferrigno, which I think is a little easier to fit into a D&D game. I'm a little unsure of the Confusion mechanic that I came up with, but I thought a little bit about the Wild Rager archetype while making it, which is one that I think is really entertaining. Anywho, I'd love for people to have a quick look at it and help me refine it further. I might make some updates of my own, this, I think, is a good starting point.

The Brute
    Brutes are vigilantes who not only change into a different guise when fighting, they do so by changing their physical body, becoming unrecognizable when the change occurs, and frequently nightmarish.

Unskilled
    A Brute gains only 4 + Int modifier skills per level

Vigilante Specialization
    A Brute must be an Avenger Vigilante

Dark Urges
    The Brute represents some hidden aspect of the Vigilante's personality, something that she does not actively embrace. Not only can a Brute's Vigilante Identity be of any alignment, it must be at least one step different.

Brutish Fortitude
    A Brute has a base Fortitude save equal to 2 + half her Vigilante level, has a base Reflex save of only 1/3rd her Vigilante level. This ability alters the Vigilante's base Saving Throws

Brute Form (Su)
    Through constant exposure to magic, radiation, a mutagen, or some other means, the Brute is able to take on a completely different physical form. At 1st level, a Brute can go into this altered form a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + her Constitution modifier. For each level after 1st she possesses, the Barbarian can rage for 2 additional rounds per day. While in this form, she is treated as a raging Barbarian of equal level, and Brute Form counts as the Rage class feature for any requirements such as feat or prestige class prerequisites.
    However, this rage comes at a terrible cost. Should the Brute be attacked in her social identity, she must make a Will save (DC 20 + 1/2 her Vigilante level) or immediately fly into a rage, beginning her turn confused and using her Brute Form ability. She may, for a number of rounds per day equal to her Vigilente level, give in to the dark feelings that warp her flesh and willingly be treated as confused. Any rounds spent confused (from any source) in Brute Form do not count against her daily limit-- the Brute's vigilante identity thrives when the social identity loses control.

Regarding the physical changes of the Brute Form. The changes are real and affect the Brute's entire body, but overall the Brute must still be humanoid, as per a Disguise Self spell, with gross physical alterations (e.g. the addition of large horns or a tail perhaps) being explicitly allowed. The height of the Brute Form, however, does not need to be within one foot of the Vigilante's regular height, and must instead be within 4 inches of her race's normal minimum or maximum height.

The twisting of bones and flesh means that a Brute Vigilante's armor and clothing loses one quarter of its hit points each time the Brute Form ability is initiated. Enchanted armor and clothing take no such damage. This ability alters Dual Identity

Brute Force (Ex)
    The Vigilante may select Barbarian Rage Powers instead of Vigilante Talents

Asocial (Ex)
    While they quickly gain a reputation, Brutes are not, by default, gifted with any social talent. As such, their first Social Talent is automatically replaced with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, and at levels 5, 9, 13, and 17, they must select a Combat Feat that they meet the prerequisites for in place of a Social Talent. This ability replaces the aforementioned Social Talents.
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2021-03-03 at 08:35 PM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A fix for the Brute Vigilante (PEACH)

Would it still gain all the normal Brute Vigilante talents?

But your way is better as you don't lose as much.
    Is Brute Form just cosmetic? Counts as rage?

Are you giving Unarmed Strike like PF one?

It is better for adventuring at least. The other one was not.

Pros of yours: Rage is simpler. You don't have -1 penalty to hit/AC (from size change with no stat bonus).

Also why the huge save DC?
    Wouldn't a more reasonable DC be 15 + lv instead of 20 +1/2?
    20+1/2 starts harder at beginning, while 15 + lv is more gradual (easier at beginning, but stays with you as you level, only hard at high lvs).
    20+1/2:
    1st: DC 20
    4th: DC 22
    8th: DC 24
    12th: DC 26

15+ Lv
    1st: DC 15
    4th: DC 19
    8th: DC 23
    12th: DC 27