New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Archetypal Artificer: Does it exist?

I was building a character concept the other day (essentially trying to build one class's style and features using MCs of other classes) and it came to my attention that every class has an archetypal subclass: a subclass that, rather than providing a playstyle or alternate abilities, simply enhances the base class's archetypal role. For Paladin, it's Devotion. For Rangers, Hunter. Other examples include Berserker Barbarian, Lore Bard, Life Cleric, and other such choices. But it seems to me that Artificer doesn't have anything like that: each subclass adds features and functions that defines what the class is capable of. Artillerist gets their Arcane Cannon, Battle Smith has their Steel Defender, Alchemist has their potions every day, and Armorer has their Power Armor. If you were to create a subclass for Artificer that only enhances the core class abilities, what would you have it do, and why?
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Archetypal Artificer: Does it exist?

I had a rough draft homebrew somewhere that enhance the focus on infusions which I believe is probably what you're looking for.

Officially I think the armorer is the closest right now
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2021-03-04 at 11:02 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

What exactly IS the artificer archetype?
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    I'd say the inventor and gadgeteer who is always coming up with new crazy things to try out.
    If you're familiar with My Hero Academia, Mei Hatsume would be what I'd consider to be an archetypal artificer.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

That class flavor is just the accumulated tropes that have built up around most classes over all the time they've been out. Also, not all of them map to D&D tropes that preceded 5e. Nobody said that Elan was not a perfectly bardy character, and I think you'd be hard pressed to call him a lore bard. Artificer hasn't been out nearly as long as the classics, so hasn't had time to build up its own share of tropes.

Also, artificer's flavor in 3.5 was "the guy who makes all the magic items". Kinda like how the wizard was "the guy who cast all the spells", and none of the subclasses are a pure expression of that. Evoker kind of works as the default subclass that got added to D&Dbeyond, but a good case could have been made for many of the others too. Similarly, if D&Dbeyond did wind up throwing in the artificer as a freely available class, if I had to guess they'd throw the alchemist in as their default.

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    That class flavor is just the accumulated tropes that have built up around most classes over all the time they've been out. Also, not all of them map to D&D tropes that preceded 5e. Nobody said that Elan was not a perfectly bardy character, and I think you'd be hard pressed to call him a lore bard. Artificer hasn't been out nearly as long as the classics, so hasn't had time to build up its own share of tropes.

Also, artificer's flavor in 3.5 was "the guy who makes all the magic items". Kinda like how the wizard was "the guy who cast all the spells", and none of the subclasses are a pure expression of that. Evoker kind of works as the default subclass that got added to D&Dbeyond, but a good case could have been made for many of the others too. Similarly, if D&Dbeyond did wind up throwing in the artificer as a freely available class, if I had to guess they'd throw the alchemist in as their default.
    I'm not sure who you're referring to with Elan, but I think I still understand the point you're making. Artificer is a trope that has existed long before D&D, about as long as magic items has been a fantasy concept. One that fits the trope but doesn't fit into any of the styles is Rhunon from the Inheritance Cycle (the Eragon books). She is the blacksmith that crafted all of the Dragon Rider's swords: archetypal magic item maker, but she definitely doesn't fit into any of the presently available subclasses.

Yeah, Artificer is pretty new, and the only new class to be added to the game after the PHB's release. It does set the precedent in that regard, though I still think it odd that it wasn't released with a subclass like that.
    For Wizards, I'd say Evoker is the archetypal Wizard. It's abilities directly enhance it's core flavor and lends heavily into the archetypal playstyle for Wizards in the Blaster playstyle.

I could see a subclass that stays closer to the core flavor with abilities akin to the Bard or Pact of the Amulet: For example, as a reaction you can grant somebody a bonus to an action as long as they are either attuned to or actively using one of your infusions. Perhaps abilities you can use in combat to grant allies within a radius of you a temporary bonus to weapon attack rolls, as you place a temporary enchantment on all their weapons, or play it like a Paladin Aura that permanently grants those bonuses while they're within that limited radius.

Another thing I think could really help nail down an Archetypal Artificer is if they better fleshed out magic item creation. There are suggested guidelines for creating magic items and making spell scrolls, but as is I don't think I've ever seen those used.
    Last edited by Nagog; 2021-03-04 at 11:46 AM.
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

It'd have a greater focus on items.

• Extra Infusions.
    • Extra Magic Item creation feature in the vein of Magic Item Adept.
    • Sending, Summon Construct, and Fabricate as "domain" spells.
    • Also, probably Floating Disk, Find Familiar, two of Cordon of Arrows, Magic Weapon, and Wristpocket, Lightning Arrow or Tongues, then Animate Objects, Scrying, or possibly Telepathic Bond.

Maybe Locate Object translated into a subclass feature (to help find the components you need). Something like "Material Sense: Once per short rest, you may use an action to learn the direction towards the nearest material of your choice. If it is within 1000 ft of you, you know its precise location. You may exclude material sources you are already aware of from this search."

(Otherwise, you'd have "Material Sense: Iron! Oh, what do you know, the nearest source of iron is a couple of millimeters away from my head. It must be this helm I'm wearing.")
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2021-03-04 at 12:13 PM.
    Favorite Builds:
    Tank
    True Ninja
    Relentless
    EB Sniper (post 18/23)
    Gestalts

'Brew:
    My 4E Fix
    Actual Martial Arts
    Sorcerous Origins bonus spells. + Metamagics in post #17

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nagog View Post
    I'm not sure who you're referring to with Elan
    He's the bard in the Order of the Stick, which as a web comic has been around for over a decade; six graphic novels have been published, with a seventh in progress. A few prequel and side questy graphic novels have also been published.

You'll find the Order of the Stick featured on the front page of the GiTP web site. Just look at the left hand margin of this very web page.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Base it, maybe, on FFX Rikku, and let them combine potions for shenanigans.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, I think this is the real question.

Rogue (Thief), Cleric (Life), Wizard (Evocaton?), Barbarian(Berserker?), Paladin(Devotion), Fighter(Champion), Ranger(Hunter), Monk(Open hand), Warlock(Fiend?), Bard (Lore - though the Skald IS a common bardic archetype too) are all fantasy fiction archetypes or tropes with specific sub-classes that have been frequently used in both gaming and fiction.

The Artificer is not a common archetype in fiction and as a result, doesn't tend to have a particular set of abilities that is popularized or represent what an archetypal example of the class would be like. I'd almost go so far as to say that the Artificer was invented for D&D (though I don't know enough of the history of the class to say that) which may be part of why none of the three subclasses seem to define the default idea of the archetype.

Oddly enough though - neither draconic nor wild magic bloodlines seem to capture my idea for an archetypal sorcerer. Aberrant Mind might come the closest for me but the sorcerous origins tend to define the source of power for the sorcerer and thus makes each a bit different.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If you look at the history of the class and they way it's evolved through the test phases, it seems like it was at one point viewed as a pet class at its core. The first version released in UA (that wasn't a wizard subclass) had a pet as a core class feature. Then the next version saw the pets split into subclass features, though each subclass got one. Later the alchemist lost it's built-in pet and the artillarist's pet got less pet-like.

So with this in mind I would say the subclass with the most functional pet is the core artificer, which would be the Battle smith.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    ... The Artificer is not a common archetype in fiction and as a result, doesn't tend to have a particular set of abilities that is popularized or represent what an archetypal example of the class would be like. I'd almost go so far as to say that the Artificer was invented for D&D....
    What're you talking about? The Artificer is just your standard incredible craftsman / inventor. It's your Tony Stark, Mei Hatsume (MHA), Winry (FMA), Forge (X-Men), Gear (Static Shock), or basically any mad scientist, but magic. Some more explicitly magical characters are Rhunön (Eragon / Inheritance), as was mentioned earlier, and maybe Totosai (Inuyasha).

Edit: To some extent, it's just any Utility Belt character, but the user is also the maker.

The Artificer's main schtick is supposed to be item creation. The issue, as I see it, is that it's kinda hard to balance abilities that're conducive to a slow amassing / stockpiling of power and treasure like crafting is, against abilities that're more one-and-done like most other things are. (Which is sad, 'cuz I really like the former.) So, what we're left with are blunt workarounds like Infusions, or really blunt workarounds, like the temporary crafting features we had with the UA Artificer Wizard.
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2021-03-04 at 03:03 PM.
    Favorite Builds:
    Tank
    True Ninja
    Relentless
    EB Sniper (post 18/23)
    Gestalts

'Brew:
    My 4E Fix
    Actual Martial Arts

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

My reference point is Kang the Mad
    https://youtu.be/nztPLExhOlU
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I am going to offer this idea: the Artificer archetype for a swords and sorcery, high fantasy story is best expressed by Fëanor. Problem is, he's rarely on screen.
    Another example is Saruman.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-03-04 at 03:08 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think the Maverick from Exploring Eberron is quite archetypal but I do think it's an interesting take - crossing over multiple spell lists and take bits and pieces from every class. It's not got the crafting focus for it to be archetypal to me though. An infusion-focused artificer subclass sounds pretty sweet though, wouldn't mind seeing that come to light.

Also imho evoker wizard isn't archetypal for the class - Wizards in 4e were controllers after all. Enchantment or Illusion feels better to me. Big brain wizards controlling the battlefield with debuffs/disabling spells.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueKnightGuy

Sorta related, but when I first heard of the Artificer my first thought was Cogline, from the Shanarra Books. At least as an Alchemist.
    Maybe he’s got a little magic in there, but he mostly uses chemicals, and old world tech to produce his main “magic”.

But Artificer covers a lot of ground, like Fighter kinda does.
    Which makes it hard to narrow all that down.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Agatha from Girl Genius (webcomic).

Any spark (read: mad scientist) might do, but Agatha is the protagonist and we get most examples of her doing it on the fly, so meeting the “quasi magic combat effect” requirement, and given she’s mostly making servants and robots, I guess that makes her a Battle Smith?
    Have fun, stay sane, enjoy the madness.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HPisBS View Post
    What're you talking about? The Artificer is just your standard incredible craftsman / inventor. It's your Tony Stark, Mei Hatsume (MHA), Winry (FMA), Forge (X-Men), Gear (Static Shock), or basically any mad scientist, but magic. Some more explicitly magical characters are Rhunön (Eragon / Inheritance), as was mentioned earlier, and maybe Totosai (Inuyasha).

Edit: To some extent, it's just any Utility Belt character, but the user is also the maker.

The Artificer's main schtick is supposed to be item creation. The issue, as I see it, is that it's kinda hard to balance abilities that're conducive to a slow amassing / stockpiling of power and treasure like crafting is, against abilities that're more one-and-done like most other things are. (Which is sad, 'cuz I really like the former.) So, what we're left with are blunt workarounds like Infusions, or really blunt workarounds, like the temporary crafting features we had with the UA Artificer Wizard.
    I think you made my point with your examples. Science fiction, some popular fiction (McGyver) have technology based characters that solve problems using technology, produce magical effects using technology or similar rules or formula based "magic". Although there have been a few characters like this in fantasy fiction, it isn't a common archetype in the typical low technology worlds commonly used in fantasy fiction and gaming.

The gnome tinkerer/inventor archetype has been around a long time but it wasn't associated with a class in terms of fantasy gaming.

At least from my perspective this is why the Artificer in D&D doesn't seem to have a commonly accepted archetype. Technology doesn't fit into everyone's games. Creating items isn't that useful an ability for most heroic fantasy adventures. Artificer in 5e is a utility 1/2 caster with some interesting extra features focused on magic items.

However, thinking about it a bit more, if there is an archetypal Artificer it is probably an Alchemist. Characters who create potions, perform magical chemistry, are probably the most common type of item creation character in fiction and although the D&D artificer doesn't have a base focus on Alchemy - the most common type found in fiction would likely be an Alchemist.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    However, thinking about it a bit more, if there is an archetypal Artificer it is probably an Alchemist. Characters who create potions, perform magical chemistry, are probably the most common type of item creation character in fiction and although the D&D artificer doesn't have a base focus on Alchemy - the most common type found in fiction would likely be an Alchemist.
    Most likely. All of your acid flasks, smoke bombs, flash grenades, etc would fit there. And I'd wager that such things are depicted the most often because they're so close to reality.

Otherwise, magic items are usually depicted as something the characters just have, rather than something they have to create first. But then, that's also true here. Even with the addition of Artificers and some better guidelines on crafting, very few DnD characters ever have to bother about creating their items.

Edit:
    One reference I overlooked (in a series that's completely grounded in the real world) is Burn Notice. Michael Weston et al are often shown rigging up cool solutions.

Edit 2:
    There's also the mechanist in Avatar. Though he isn't a bender, he creates things like hot air balloons and submarines that rely on bending to function.

Item crafters are generally depicted separately from their users. Q to James Bond, etc.
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2021-03-04 at 04:49 PM.
    Favorite Builds:
    Tank
    True Ninja
    Relentless
    EB Sniper (post 18/23)
    Gestalts

'Brew:
    My 4E Fix
    Actual Martial Arts