A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 631 to 660 of 767
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    One thing I picked up in the middle of this one:

    Spoiler
    Show

    Cordelia has figured out that this whole thing is actually Cat taking a swing at the Bard, but what is she trying to accomplish by doing it this way? It's only Cat's blind speculation that Bard's interference is responsible for the feud between the claimants for Warden.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Bard was trying to poison the well of the role by making the name form in a rather viscous fight between heroes instead of forming itself properly in opposition to the Warden of the East. Particularly because the person who picks up that book is getting the name. It was brought here specifically as a gift for the Warden of the West and to seize it from the opposition is the ideal way to cement the name and role the way Cat wants. And it isn't only Cat's blind speculation, we got some exceptionally clear foreshadowing that this was Bards final play from the Arsenal attack.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    It's a feudal system. One way or the other there is going to be a fair bit of tyranny.

    Anyways, this one rang a lot more true than the Hanno's verbal beatdown. And kinda raises the question of why Cordelia is a claimant at all.
    It is odd to me that the powers-that-be are implicitly supporting her claim (to at least the same extent that they're supporting Hanno's) considering her whole outlook. Maybe her support among the non-Named is just so strong that they have to acknowledge it?

    The conversation ended up going broadly like how I expected it to, but I'm definitely curious to see what happens next. Maybe one or both will renounce their claim?
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  3. - Top - End - #633
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    They're definitely going to have to talk, if nothing else. Cat dumping them next to each other without any of their allies or hangers-on strips away the excuses and pretenses to avoid it. And with their foundations of certainty temporarily uprooted, it's the best opportunity they'll have to reconcile the split thats formed.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-09-24 at 12:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bristol, UK

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Spoiler: Occidental 4
    Show
    How many times was Cat called "the Warden" in that?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

  5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Bard was trying to poison the well of the role by making the name form in a rather viscous fight between heroes instead of forming itself properly in opposition to the Warden of the East. Particularly because the person who picks up that book is getting the name. It was brought here specifically as a gift for the Warden of the West and to seize it from the opposition is the ideal way to cement the name and role the way Cat wants. And it isn't only Cat's blind speculation, we got some exceptionally clear foreshadowing that this was Bards final play from the Arsenal attack.
    It wasnt foreshadowed in the arsenal attack at all. That refered to other stuff.
    Anyway it is rather likely Bard is indeed behind this. When the 2 claimants end in such a hostile split.

    And as such Cat has basically said straight out this was to resolve the mess in a way that didnt tear the alliance apart.
    We can then just see it indeed worked. For once they seems to be in the mood to talking.

    Heck. We are even given the teasing hint of a compromise. When Cat pushed Cordelia upon how she didnt even want to become named.
    But just saw it as a job that needed doing.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    It wasnt foreshadowed in the arsenal attack at all. That refered to other stuff.
    Anyway it is rather likely Bard is indeed behind this. When the 2 claimants end in such a hostile split.

    And as such Cat has basically said straight out this was to resolve the mess in a way that didnt tear the alliance apart.
    We can then just see it indeed worked. For once they seems to be in the mood to talking.

    Heck. We are even given the teasing hint of a compromise. When Cat pushed Cordelia upon how she didnt even want to become named.
    But just saw it as a job that needed doing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Read the scene where Cat and Masego leave Bard's body again.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Read the scene where Cat and Masego leave Bard's body again.
    I already have. It dont give any clues about this.
    Thats from before there even was a Warden of the East. Let alone a hint of the chance there would rise a Warden in the West as opposition.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I already have. It dont give any clues about this.
    Thats from before there even was a Warden of the East. Let alone a hint of the chance there would rise a Warden in the West as opposition.
    Neither of them looked back, as they left, and so neither saw that by the sheerest of coincidence the struggle had left untouched one of the affrays – the Empress, the Tower – save for one card that’d fallen from the Bard’s sleeve in her death throes.

    Judgement lay with the Tower between it and the Empress, speckled with blood.
    Yep, no for shadowing whatsoever that Bard was setting up a fight between Hano and Cordelia. I must be hallucinating.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground
     
    tyckspoon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Yep, no for shadowing whatsoever that Bard was setting up a fight between Hano and Cordelia. I must be hallucinating.
    I think most readers figured that was the disagreement about how to handle Red Axe, the event that first really started widening the fractures between Hanno and Cordelia about how to handle things. I suppose you can see the disagreement about the Warden role as an outgrowth of that, but I feel it's a bit of a stretch to claim Bard was plotting this all along from that scene.

  10. - Top - End - #640
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I think most readers figured that was the disagreement about how to handle Red Axe, the event that first really started widening the fractures between Hanno and Cordelia about how to handle things. I suppose you can see the disagreement about the Warden role as an outgrowth of that, but I feel it's a bit of a stretch to claim Bard was plotting this all along from that scene.
    The Tower, the card between them, represents power. It’s the two of them battling over power.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  11. - Top - End - #641
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    It's a feudal system. One way or the other there is going to be a fair bit of tyranny.

    Anyways, this one rang a lot more true than the Hanno's verbal beatdown. And kinda raises the question of why Cordelia is a claimant at all.
    Interesting; for me it was the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.

  12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Yep, no for shadowing whatsoever that Bard was setting up a fight between Hano and Cordelia. I must be hallucinating.
    The Tower, the card between them, represents power. It’s the two of them battling over power.
    Apperently yes?
    Since.. i mean we had a battle over power between the two of them directly afterwards.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AmberVael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    The Tower, the card between them, represents power. It’s the two of them battling over power.
    Err...

    The interpretations of the tower I'm seeing are about catastrophe, calamity, or ruin.

    As if prompted by the words, the Bard set down her second card. A black spire of stone piercing even the clouds, as pale lightning struck at it: the Tower.

    Ruin onto your Truce and Terms,” the Intercessor said. “The Red Axe slain in blind revenge, heroes and villains at each other’s throats beyond what can be mended.”
    Which would indicate that the Tower between Judgment and the Empress symbolizes conflict between Cordelia and Hanno, presumably conflict that has broader consequences. Which foreshadows something that started at the Arsenal and with the Red Axe, but that fracture has kept growing until it led to our current scene. So, I'd say it kinda foreshadowed both, but without specifically foreshadowing either: it's not about the specific scenes or events, but the growing conflict between Cordelia and Hanno in general.

  14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bristol, UK

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    Which would indicate that the Tower between Judgment and the Empress symbolizes conflict between Cordelia and Hanno, presumably conflict that has broader consequences.
    Or the Tower symbolised the Tower, and The Empress symbolised Malicia. Which seems a lot less convoluted.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-09-25 at 09:40 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

  15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AmberVael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Or the Tower symbolised the Tower, and The Empress symbolised Malicia. Which seems a lot less convoluted.
    Maybe? I don't think it's a stretch though, given that the scene had already said that The Empress was Cordelia, and that The Tower was Ruin. Saying it foreshadowed conflict between Cordelia and Hanno seems as fair an interpretation as any, given how vague such symbols can be.

    But the main point I wanted to get at is that The Tower doesn't seem to represent power - both in the interpretations this specific story gives us, and in traditional tarot.

  16. - Top - End - #646
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Or the Tower symbolised the Tower, and The Empress symbolised Malicia. Which seems a lot less convoluted.
    Or EE is very clever, and it means (or can mean) all of them.

  17. - Top - End - #647
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bristol, UK

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Or EE is very clever, and it means (or can mean) all of them.
    Well, yeah, but there's not much difference between meaning everything and meaning nothing.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-09-25 at 12:08 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

  18. - Top - End - #648
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    The whole point of a tarot reading/fortune telling is to be vague enough to let the mark customer fill in the blanks for you, assuming you're not just cold-reading to begin with. So I hardly find it out of place that a tarot card arrangement in story could be written to potentially foreshadow multiple future plot events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bristol, UK

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The whole point of a tarot reading/fortune telling is to be vague enough to let the mark customer fill in the blanks for you, assuming you're not just cold-reading to begin with. So I hardly find it out of place that a tarot card arrangement in story could be written to potentially foreshadow multiple future plot events.
    I agree that Tarot is vague nonsense. The point here is that in this situation the cards whatever they are (are they tarot?) are supposed to actually work, so you'd expect them to make actually meaningful predictions, even if only in hindsight. We've not arrived at the hindsight stage yet, so we're guessing, but I find it annoying to have random guesses treated as fact, particularly when other guesses seem simpler and more reasonable. The reason tarot is so ambiguous is that it has to predict everything that might happen, because one of the things that might happen will happen, and it's good for business to have predicted it, even if only vaguely. This doesn't apply in the story, because in the story prediction works, so it can be as precise as it needs to be for plot.

    I probably haven't written that as clearly as I'd like, sorry about that.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

  20. - Top - End - #650
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I find it annoying to have random guesses treated as fact, particularly when other guesses seem simpler and more reasonable.
    I get this feeling SO much whenever I read the comment section on the Wordpress. It's even more hilarious when doing an archive binge and you know how absolutely wrong some of these people who were absolutely certain were.

    Then there's the people with absolutely no reading comprehension. Like the ones who though Amadeus was trying to turn Arthur into a Black Knight... because reasons?

  21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    I agree that Tarot is vague nonsense.
    This does seem to be the key part. Its sufficiently vague to allow people to make it fit whatever further event they want to.
    In this case i do think its pretty unlikely to relate to this of a simple reason.
    If Bard could predict things that far in the future, she would not have problems with Cat.
    She would certainly not have lost control over ½ the stories of the continent.
    An event that took place before the current conflict between Hanno and Cordelia.

    I find it annoying to have random guesses treated as fact, particularly when other guesses seem simpler and more reasonable.
    Oh yeah. Honestly the one thing i find even more annoying. Is when random guesses are treated as fact.
    And then used to support -even- more random guesses. Thankfully its not as prevalent here.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    This does seem to be the key part. Its sufficiently vague to allow people to make it fit whatever further event they want to.
    In this case i do think its pretty unlikely to relate to this of a simple reason.
    If Bard could predict things that far in the future, she would not have problems with Cat.
    She would certainly not have lost control over ½ the stories of the continent.
    An event that took place before the current conflict between Hanno and Cordelia.



    Oh yeah. Honestly the one thing i find even more annoying. Is when random guesses are treated as fact.
    And then used to support -even- more random guesses. Thankfully its not as prevalent here.
    Even as far back as then she could see Cat's story and knew what Name she had brewing. The chapter specifically states she was trying to muck about with that name on the spot. How would it make sense she could see that but not the Warden of West name that she had already tried to force onto Cordelia the first time.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Even as far back as then she could see Cat's story and knew what Name she had brewing. The chapter specifically states she was trying to muck about with that name on the spot. How would it make sense she could see that but not the Warden of West name that she had already tried to force onto Cordelia the first time.
    Your missing the point. The Bard can see Cat is on the path towards a name. Because that takes a lot of work to get reality to recognise you.
    But for Bard to foreshadow the current conflict between Hanno and Cordelia, means she have to be able to foresee a LOT more than just who is on the path to a name.
    And we then still need an answer for, if Bard could see that much ahead, why the heck did she end with ½ her power stolen and turned into a book.

    For that matter. Why did she foreshadow the 2nd conflict between Hanno and Cordelia. Instead of the first conflict between Hanno and Cordelia?
    As AmberVael already pointed out, the Tower represents Ruin. This has already taken place. Their relationship was seriously ruined by the Red Axe affair.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Your missing the point. The Bard can see Cat is on the path towards a name. Because that takes a lot of work to get reality to recognise you.
    But for Bard to foreshadow the current conflict between Hanno and Cordelia, means she have to be able to foresee a LOT more than just who is on the path to a name.
    And we then still need an answer for, if Bard could see that much ahead, why the heck did she end with ½ her power stolen and turned into a book.

    For that matter. Why did she foreshadow the 2nd conflict between Hanno and Cordelia. Instead of the first conflict between Hanno and Cordelia?
    As AmberVael already pointed out, the Tower represents Ruin. This has already taken place. Their relationship was seriously ruined by the Red Axe affair.
    She didn't just see Cat was on the path to a name, she saw what name it would be and what the connotations of that name would be and was actively attempting to change it while it was forming. How on earth could she see all that but not see the Warden of the West name forming at the same time. This conflict is literally that Red Axe conflict. This is the end of that long game plan.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    She didn't just see Cat was on the path to a name, she saw what name it would be and what the connotations of that name would be and was actively attempting to change it while it was forming. How on earth could she see all that but not see the Warden of the West name forming at the same time. This conflict is literally that Red Axe conflict. This is the end of that long game plan.
    This still dont really have anything to do with the main claim. That the current conflict between Hanno and Cordelia was foreshadowed by a tower tarrot card.

    Of course she can see what general shape Cat's name will take. Cat was literally building building the foundation for that name before Bards eyes.
    But the Warden of the West name wasnt starting to form before the Warden of the East had formed.

    And what your in effect claiming is that Bard's plan.
    -First involve the Red Axe plot failing. Cat Averted that disaster.
    -Then involves every the effort to shape Cat's name towards something else failing.
    -As well as the big setup at the Praes capital war failing, where Bard is critically wounded.
    -Because now.. after all these setbacks, Bard is able to cause two Warden claimants to bicker.

    Thats the complex explanation. The simple one is that.

    -Bard hatched a plot to create serious trouble between Hanno and Cordelia with the red Axe.
    Thats what the Tower hinted at.
    -Bard then began her master plan to sabotage Cat at Praes. That failed.
    -Bard is now randomly scrambling for a backup. Takes advantage of unresolved tension between Hanno and Cordelia.
    Sets them up on collision course.

    When the long game plan involves getting crippled. And dont as such win you anything meaningful.
    And when there isnt evidence of a long plan. Then its a lot more likely there isnt a long plan.
    But instead just several short plans.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  26. - Top - End - #656
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Earth and/or not-Earth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    But for Bard to foreshadow the current conflict between Hanno and Cordelia, means she have to be able to foresee a LOT more than just who is on the path to a name.
    While I don't believe that the incident in question was foreshadowing of current events, I should point out that it also wasn't something that the Bard did. The text explicitly calls it "the sheerest of coincidences" that the Empress and the Tower happened to not be disturbed in the struggle and Judgement happened to fall out of the Bard's sleeve and land between them.
    I'm making a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

  27. - Top - End - #657
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    This still dont really have anything to do with the main claim. That the current conflict between Hanno and Cordelia was foreshadowed by a tower tarrot card.

    Of course she can see what general shape Cat's name will take. Cat was literally building building the foundation for that name before Bards eyes.
    But the Warden of the West name wasnt starting to form before the Warden of the East had formed.
    Correct, it had ALREADY formed when Bard tried to force it onto Cordelia before. If anything seeing the path of it's story and the stories of it's claimants should have been even easier for Bard.

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And what your in effect claiming is that Bard's plan.
    -First involve the Red Axe plot failing. Cat Averted that disaster.
    -Then involves every the effort to shape Cat's name towards something else failing.
    -As well as the big setup at the Praes capital war failing, where Bard is critically wounded.
    -Because now.. after all these setbacks, Bard is able to cause two Warden claimants to bicker.
    -The Red Axe plan didn't fail, it did exactly what it was supposed to do. It created a dozen small fractures both with the heroes and the between Hanno and Cordelia and Cat, and it was the seeds of Hanno's current character growth into someone more active as a leader that lead to his becoming a claimant to begin with.
    -Bard always has backup plans, always. Look at literally everything she does. Just because she got her ass kicked in Ater doesn't mean she is suddenly out of options.
    -No, because she was aware she might face setbacks she set up the potential claimants to have a rift between them well ahead of time so she would have options if the Ater plan to stop Cat from getting her name in the first place failed. One assumes she probably isn't doing so great at the moment considering what happened to her though.

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Thats the complex explanation. The simple one is that.

    -Bard hatched a plot to create serious trouble between Hanno and Cordelia with the red Axe.
    Thats what the Tower hinted at.
    -Bard then began her master plan to sabotage Cat at Praes. That failed.
    -Bard is now randomly scrambling for a backup. Takes advantage of unresolved tension between Hanno and Cordelia.
    Sets them up on collision course.
    So you literally just repeated what I was saying but changed the words a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    When the long game plan involves getting crippled. And dont as such win you anything meaningful.
    And when there isnt evidence of a long plan. Then its a lot more likely there isnt a long plan.
    But instead just several short plans.
    When did I say her plan involved getting beaten so badly at Ater? Don't put words in my mouth.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Correct, it had ALREADY formed when Bard tried to force it onto Cordelia before. If anything seeing the path of it's story and the stories of it's claimants should have been even easier for Bard.
    I cant find anything on the wiki about it. But fair. It wasnt a name in opposition with Warden of the East before that name was created.
    And at that time both of them were pretty fair from being claimants to this name. Cordelia had rejected it. Hanno was solidly white knight.
    So hardly relevant.

    -The Red Axe plan didn't fail, it did exactly what it was supposed to do. It created a dozen small fractures both with the heroes and the between Hanno and Cordelia and Cat, and it was the seeds of Hanno's current character growth into someone more active as a leader that lead to his becoming a claimant to begin with.
    -Bard always has backup plans, always. Look at literally everything she does. Just because she got her ass kicked in Ater doesn't mean she is suddenly out of options.
    -No, because she was aware she might face setbacks she set up the potential claimants to have a rift between them well ahead of time so she would have options if the Ater plan to stop Cat from getting her name in the first place failed. One assumes she probably isn't doing so great at the moment considering what happened to her though.
    The Red Axe plan did fail in its goal of creating a break to shatter the accords or whatever it was aimed at.
    That it still created fractures was just a consolidation prize. But you can claim anyone is a mastermind if you just go "that was planned" at every setback the suffer.
    But so you are indeed seriously claimed that back in the Red Axe arc the Bard had already predicted Cordelia and Hanno would become rival claimants to Warden of the West.. ?

    When did I say her plan involved getting beaten so badly at Ater? Don't put words in my mouth.
    You did when you claimed it was part of her master plan, to a couple of years later and several setbacks later, have Hanno and Cordelia bicker.

    So you literally just repeated what I was saying but changed the words a bit.
    Yes thats how words work. Move them around a bit, change the punctuation a touch, and the message can change radically.
    In this case the meaning changes from it being part of a continued master plan. To Bard adjusting stuff on the fly like Cat does.

    Certainly, we still dont have any evidence for the "all according to plan" theory.
    The only thing that has been presented as foreshadowing this is a single Tower card representing ruin.
    Well. Said ruin could also refer to the disagreement about the Red Axe. The simplest explanation is the likeliest.
    Its a -lot- simpler that ruin refer to the Red Axe affair that followed directly, that of it refering to a disagreement a couple years later.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  29. - Top - End - #659
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I cant find anything on the wiki about it. But fair. It wasnt a name in opposition with Warden of the East before that name was created.
    And at that time both of them were pretty fair from being claimants to this name. Cordelia had rejected it. Hanno was solidly white knight.
    So hardly relevant.
    Bard literally sees the worlds stories and knows where they are going and how to manipulate them. Her ability to see the future of those names and stories is entirely relevant and literally in her express power set.


    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    The Red Axe plan did fail in its goal of creating a break to shatter the accords or whatever it was aimed at.
    Only it didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    That it still created fractures was just a consolidation prize. But you can claim anyone is a mastermind if you just go "that was planned" at every setback the suffer.
    I never said that any of the losses were "just as planned" stop putting words in my mouth. I said that Bard has constantly been shown to go for plans where she can still take something away from most losses or where she can win either way in the long run since she is used to seeing so much further then anyone else in setting has been capable of. Before Cat anyways.

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    But so you are indeed seriously claimed that back in the Red Axe arc the Bard had already predicted Cordelia and Hanno would become rival claimants to Warden of the West.. ?
    I don't just think she predicted it. I think she deliberately set it into motion as a potential backup plan.


    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    You did when you claimed it was part of her master plan, to a couple of years later and several setbacks later, have Hanno and Cordelia bicker.
    Keep claiming I said things I didn't say. I dare you.



    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Certainly, we still dont have any evidence for the "all according to plan" theory.
    Cat literally said that the two claimants being in this situation was Bard's plan.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

    I think the entire conversation is over crediting the author a bit. I doubt the story has stayed on script the way foreshadowing requires.

    I'm willing to bet that the last arc was as much of a kerfluffle for the author as it was for the fans. Instead of the subtle duel between Bard and Cat through traditional schemers like it was clearly meant to play out, with Akua refusing to take anyone's directions, it ended up being a chaotic mess that shoved all of the important plot stuff into a few chapters at the end.

    The rise of Tyrant Cordelia and Lord White was foreshadowed before Cat went to Praes imo, but a lot of the important parts were shoveled into a few side chapters in favor of drawing out Praes way longer then it needed to be. I do think the fight between Cordelia and Hanno was always somewhat intended but the last book got botched and the foreshadowing got thrown out for immediate exposition dumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •