A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334
Results 991 to 1,019 of 1019
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'm still waiting for the gnomes to show up as a completely out of context brick joke.
    I am convinced the gnomes are watching this battle with the biggest tub of popcorn ever. It has all of the lesser races join up to beat up one guy, and he keeps winning. That's just prime entertainment.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Well his original plan had really been to present Cat with a situation where she just had to back down and let Alaya, undeservedly, continue breathing but thanks to the the Intercessor's manipulation he had no idea that that plan would be doomed because it was going to kill the story of Cat's new Role and he called an audible to die himself instead. I would have loved if he had just died an ignominious death in the stairwell after Akua stabbed him but seeing him effectively get killed twice was pretty nice. Him being killed by his own daughter because he screwed a plan up was an excellent capstone, the only way that scene could have been better would have been if he had found a way to die a third time in some later chapter.
    My suspicion is still that he planned to die anyways, because it was needed to kill the Dread Empire. He made himself Chancellor, the Role specifically designed to usurp power. Keeping it would reinforce the narrative as a clever usurper, he needed to arrange his own death to complete the plan. He probably didn't plan on getting killed by Cat, but he used his IOU from Below to stop her from rezzing him. Thats telling to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

My suspicion is still that he planned to die anyways, because it was needed to kill the Dread Empire. He made himself Chancellor, the Role specifically designed to usurp power. Keeping it would reinforce the narrative as a clever usurper, he needed to arrange his own death to complete the plan. He probably didn't plan on getting killed by Cat, but he used his IOU from Below to stop her from rezzing him. Thats telling to me.
    Oh, it was 100% a Thanatos Gambit on Amadeus' part. He has shown, repeatedly and explicitly, a disregard for his own life in his scheming. His willingness to use himself as a disposable pawn in his games is one of the things that always set him above the typical Evil Overlord role. If him dying fulfilled his plans - which it absolutely did, thanks to the narrative roulette in the Tower - then he would absolutely make that move.

Amadeus was never about being the single clever man with the best scheme, because he was well aware that he would lose out to someone with a better one eventually. The same goes for strength in battle and Name power. Just look at the way he reacted after being freed from the Heroes' captivity. When speaking with Cat, he ruthlessly and efficiently took apart all of the mistakes he made after the Battle of the Red Flower Vales. Taking the Role of Chancellor was just one more step in the deadly hot potato game that led to the collapse of the Tower and the splintering of the High Seats.

Also, I was re-reading the Seed interludes with Amadeus and Alaya in their pre: Black Knight and Malicia days. I got a real chuckle out of this line and the foreshadowing that EE slipped in there:

Spoiler: Seed II
    Show
    And so Amadeus of the Green Stretch asserted this: Praes is a mould that must be broken.

Always the Haunted Scholar's old work stands at the heart of it, the same three reasons given different wording: Ater, the Legions and [the seat of the Tower].
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground

Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)

Loser of Total War: The Final Hanrui (Elda Hafnar)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.. im honestly not entirely certain Asmodeus needed to die in that situation.
    If not i dont think Bard would have put so much work into engineering the scene.
    But when he realized everything he understood he had to be out of the picture completely to preserve both Cats name.
    And the Empress.

I would rather mourn the loss of Roland though. Yeah he was likely the entire story's blood debt for the time travel resque.
    While a few other names were killed we barely knew them. But Roland even had time to remind us of the girl he left behind to really twist the knife.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Hmm.. im honestly not entirely certain Asmodeus needed to die in that situation.
    If not i dont think Bard would have put so much work into engineering the scene.
    But when he realized everything he understood he had to be out of the picture completely to preserve both Cats name.
    And the Empress.
    Practically, he didn't have to die. Narratively, his death was a sure-fire way for Alaya to be forced by the story into the Chancellor role and to make sure both she and Cat - the two figures that would be needed for a Praes-Callow truce and temporary alliance against Keter - were on the same side. Dying wasn't mandatory, but in that moment it achieved all of his plans for the immediate future and allowed Praes to survive to reinvent itself outside the shadow of the Tower.

I'd call that a win, by the way.

Oh, and any Cat x Akua shippers want to take bets regarding the likelihood of an Anguished Declaration of Love? Both of them did almost die for each other after all, and we have one night left before the last of the last pushes.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2022-01-11 at 07:25 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground

Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)

Loser of Total War: The Final Hanrui (Elda Hafnar)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

6. - Top - End - #996
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Practically, he didn't have to die. Narratively, his death was a sure-fire way for Alaya to be forced by the story into the Chancellor role and to make sure both she and Cat - the two figures that would be needed for a Praes-Callow truce and temporary alliance against Keter - were on the same side. Dying wasn't mandatory, but in that moment it achieved all of his plans for the immediate future and allowed Praes to survive to reinvent itself outside the shadow of the Tower.

I'd call that a win, by the way.

Oh, and any Cat x Akua shippers want to take bets regarding the likelihood of an Anguished Declaration of Love? Both of them did almost die for each other after all, and we have one night left before the last of the last pushes.
    I'm an Akua shipper and I say nay. Akua's chosen martyrdom has to come first, whatever that is. They might do a Pirates of the Caribbean where they get to be together once a year or something but the story isn't there yet.

I was a little pissed by this chapter, my original response was "whose next, the Baalites?" but it was pretty decent to be honest. I would like more Krios but even just having him do something functionally impossible by deity standards and not be on his knees was nice.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #997

Back to Cat's missing aspect, I only brought up Amadeus because, like the Broken Bells in Keter and Robber in Hainaut, it was a time Cat paid for her victory (so to speak) with someone else's life. She didn't strap them down to a ritual altar and bleed them out for power, but they were still effectively acts of Sacrifice. What kept those sacrifices from being Evil-Evil is that they all went willingly, because of love or loyalty or a shared belief in her goals. And every single one is a knife in her own heart because she cares about them too; it hurts her to do what has to be done, but she does it anyways. She sacrifices parts of herself too, but not always.

I wouldn't bet heavy money on this being her third. Beer money at most. But I think its a viable alternative to Sentence.
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And the Empress.

I would rather mourn the loss of Roland though. Yeah he was likely the entire story's blood debt for the time travel resque.
    While a few other names were killed we barely knew them. But Roland even had time to remind us of the girl he left behind to really twist the knife.
    Asmodeus could have lived, if he was willing to sacrifice Malicia. They likely could have found some other act to finish the Tower off for good.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

9. - Top - End - #999

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Asmodeus could have lived, if he was willing to sacrifice Malicia. They likely could have found some other act to finish the Tower off for good.
    He could have survived Cat. But if the Treacherous Chancellor overthrows+executes the Dread Emperor/Empress and seizes control of the EmpireConfederation as the secret power behind the throne...that is exactly how the story of Praes has gone for hundreds of years. Having a foreign conqueror as his puppet only reinforces it. It was still in the grooves of the story, he would need to do something incredibly drastic to jump those grooves and break the narrative for good. Arranging his own death, instead of waiting until Creation propped up a imperial claimant to re-seat the throne, would do exactly that. Dying at Cat's hands right then and there, once the Confederation was formed but before it could become the Empire in all but name once more, was close enough to the original plan that I think he jumped for it.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2022-01-12 at 01:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

He could have survived Cat. But if the Treacherous Chancellor overthrows+executes the Dread Emperor/Empress and seizes control of the EmpireConfederation as the secret power behind the throne...that is exactly how the story of Praes has gone for hundreds of years. Having a foreign conqueror as his puppet only reinforces it. It was still in the grooves of the story, he would need to do something incredibly drastic to jump those grooves and break the narrative for good. Arranging his own death, instead of waiting until Creation propped up a imperial claimant to re-seat the throne, would do exactly that. Dying at Cat's hands right then and there, once the Confederation was formed but before it could become the Empire in all but name once more, was close enough to the original plan that I think he jumped for it.
    Yes. My point is they could've found that drastic thing to break the story, and likely survive that thing. But it is very much a could've

Asmodeus never really cared about himself surviving. He wanted to keep Malicia alive, and he wanted to break the Dread Empire. He could do that by dying, so he was perfectly fine with dying.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

It seems very unlikely for Asmodeus to make a plan that required him dying.

By all accounts. Everyone were already very much on board with the idea of getting to become ruler though their favorite passtime, intriguing.
    Without having to stake their live in the game. Since with the changes it suddenly became much easier to gracefully bow out, accept having lost a round, and prepare for the next round.

I cant really see anything Asmodeus dying changes there.
    The only thing it really influenced were Cat's hand. In forcing her to space Malicia because there wasnt any other suitable Cancellor.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Yes. My point is they could've found that drastic thing to break the story, and likely survive that thing. But it is very much a could've

Asmodeus never really cared about himself surviving. He wanted to keep Malicia alive, and he wanted to break the Dread Empire. He could do that by dying, so he was perfectly fine with dying.
    I didnt understand why he wanted to keep malicia alive though. Cause she was his friend? Unusually for Amadeus, there wasn't any practical reason i could see.
    Last edited by Rydiro; 2022-01-13 at 03:18 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    I didnt understand why he wanted to keep malicia alive though. Cause she was his friend? Unusually for Amadeus, there wasn't any practical reason i could see.
    Basically. No matter how bad things got, he couldn't tolerate her death.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Titan in the Playground

Basically. No matter how bad things got, he couldn't tolerate her death.
    Well in part she was, despite everything else that had passed, still his friend. We saw the love between them still real in how deeply Malicia mourned his passing.
    To a point where she hardly cared about the Warden eventually comming for her.

Of course another aspect was that Asmodeus didnt know how to lose. It was a thing a few other places how she had to learn that lesson herself.
    That sometimes the price of winning isnt worth the cost of winning.

Meanwhile Asmodeus were going to win at ANY cost.
    In his initial plan he already accounted for getting savagely mauled by a furious Akua and left for dead (certain to survive injured).

Here he then just became aware of the Bard's manipulations to late. And that it was not just vengeance that pushed Cat to end Malicia.
    So the price of victory changed, became his own life, and he paid it. Because the alternative were to accept defeat in his goal of saving Malicia.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

His plan did get Scribe killed in the end.
    Im not sure if he accounted for that.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Amadeus must have known it was a possibility so I assume it is a big part of why he cut her loose ahead of time and tried to get her to figure out her own life outside of him.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Titan in the Playground

That was not his initial plan though.
    It was the one he was forced into improvising on the spot when realizing Bard had played them.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    We still have Ranger on the way; as the last of the previous group I donít think sheís surviving the book. But considering this is fast approaching a Name story for an ending, her previous talents of getting thru Keter may crop up as needed.

Still willing to take them internet cookies for the Bard showing up as part of the Five. Lol
    New chapter out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ranger showing up and having a secret way in isnít a surprise. Her wanting revenge is also not a surprise. The possibility of her losing that fight, though, is. On top of that itís highly possible she wonít have a Name in that confrontation; itís a closer match than I originally thought it would be. Cat losing is a real thing, and I bet dollars to donuts that match would happen after Alaya departed the living. Cat finishing the last old monster would have a story weight to it as well. The book is almost over. You can just feel it.

Still got a chance to win some internet cookies. Get em before theyíre gone!

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

It did kinda sound like this is Hye deciding on suicide by Warden.
    She seemingly dont have much left. I doubt she is going to bother killing her favorite student for her old Ranger name.
    And Asmodeus is gone.

But i also dont think she survives Keter.

20. - Top - End - #1010

Spoiler
    Show
    Time for a betting pool. Who sat by that fire tonight and won't walk out of Keter?

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Time for a betting pool. Who sat by that fire tonight and won't walk out of Keter?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, I expect most if not all. The series has been decidedly non-lethal and repeatedly attempts to have its-cake-and-eat-it-too regarding the main cast. My top picks in descending probability* would be:

(1) Aisha/Juniper with the other surviving as a 'shocking' death. Aisha feels like the more probable death. She's the lubricant which keeps the social wheels moving, that makes her death both impactful since the readers like her and relatively safe since with this scene that function is finished.
    (2) Killian. She has been slowly reintroduced as character in this last book, her particular appearance here feels like it's set up to make her eventual death more effective.
    (3) Pickler. Like Aisha and Killian, she's an audience liked character whose death would hurt but have relatively little impact on the story.
    (4) Akua. I doubt eternal gatekeeper of the damned is going to happen, but I do recognize it's a possibility. I know Cat broke the rules for revealed plans always fail, but I think this is the exception. If you want it not to feel like a cheap solution, you need to reveal the specific plan and spend the time developing it. I will mention the possibility of her getting shoved into the Intercessor role.
    (5) Masego. Ascension more probable than death. Seems less likely given his speech about Cat remembering to carve a place for him.
    (6) Sigvin. I wouldn't be surprised if she (non-pejoratively) gets fridged as Hakram's pivot to go fight with the Woe

*Ordinal not Cardinal, I'm not going to figure out actual odds or probabilities for any of these.

Spoiler: Related Sidenote
    Show

I think Roland should have had a much larger on-screen presence in the preceding two chapters. Don't get me wrong, his death still hurts, but it was relatively under-developed. In the chapter before, he's present for about 3 lines when Cat throws him off the roof. Don't get me wrong, it was one of the best two scenes in the chapter (Hanno's annoyed arrow snatch being the other). And it was great seeing Akua and Cat fight together. But I think his death would have been much more effective if we'd seen him fighting in the previous chapter, either as interludes or with Cat.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, I expect most if not all. The series has been decidedly non-lethal and repeatedly attempts to have its-cake-and-eat-it-too regarding the main cast. My top picks in descending probability* would be:

(1) Aisha/Juniper with the other surviving as a 'shocking' death. Aisha feels like the more probable death. She's the lubricant which keeps the social wheels moving, that makes her death both impactful since the readers like her and relatively safe since with this scene that function is finished.
    (2) Killian. She has been slowly reintroduced as character in this last book, her particular appearance here feels like it's set up to make her eventual death more effective.
    (3) Pickler. Like Aisha and Killian, she's an audience liked character whose death would hurt but have relatively little impact on the story.
    (4) Akua. I doubt eternal gatekeeper of the damned is going to happen, but I do recognize it's a possibility. I know Cat broke the rules for revealed plans always fail, but I think this is the exception. If you want it not to feel like a cheap solution, you need to reveal the specific plan and spend the time developing it. I will mention the possibility of her getting shoved into the Intercessor role.
    (5) Masego. Ascension more probable than death. Seems less likely given his speech about Cat remembering to carve a place for him.
    (6) Sigvin. I wouldn't be surprised if she (non-pejoratively) gets fridged as Hakram's pivot to go fight with the Woe

*Ordinal not Cardinal, I'm not going to figure out actual odds or probabilities for any of these.

Spoiler: Related Sidenote
    Show

I think Roland should have had a much larger on-screen presence in the preceding two chapters. Don't get me wrong, his death still hurts, but it was relatively under-developed. In the chapter before, he's present for about 3 lines when Cat throws him off the roof. Don't get me wrong, it was one of the best two scenes in the chapter (Hanno's annoyed arrow snatch being the other). And it was great seeing Akua and Cat fight together. But I think his death would have been much more effective if we'd seen him fighting in the previous chapter, either as interludes or with Cat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's very in character for the series to kill off someone who stopped being a main character as an emotional aside. Robber, Ratface, now Roland. Characters get moved to the side and then later cashed in for emotion once they aren't plot important.

I expect all of her original group except Hakram to die, Aisha, Juniper, Pickler and Killian especially. Aisha and Juniper don't have a post-world role at all to play, so they are expendable story wise.

Sir Brandon for sure, he's got no real purpose except maybe marrying Vivi.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Juniper, Aisha wrote an autobiography at some point and I'm not sure if she has actually written it yet and one of Junipers early pov chapters has her talking about how she can't ever picture herself not doing battle and being at war so all sorts of stereotypes fit into place for her there.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's very in character for the series to kill off someone who stopped being a main character as an emotional aside. Robber, Ratface, now Roland. Characters get moved to the side and then later cashed in for emotion once they aren't plot important.

I expect all of her original group except Hakram to die, Aisha, Juniper, Pickler and Killian especially. Aisha and Juniper don't have a post-world role at all to play, so they are expendable story wise.

Sir Brandon for sure, he's got no real purpose except maybe marrying Vivi.

Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed on the first point. My main-cast comment is more about the named members of the Woe. I still don't think there will be a full death rate among the mundanes.

While tragically dying together might be in the cards for Aisha/Juniper, I think it's more likely that only one dies so we get to see the other feel the loss. Juniper does have a limited role to play in the post-world. It's very clear that we aren't settling into some utopia after this, nations are still going to be in conflict and need standing armies even if they aren't fighting, everyone is going to need to rebuild their forces after this. One of them will probably survive to handle that process. Although I suppose it could end up being Abigail's problem...

Do you mean the OG group from school or the war? More explicitly, including Masego, Indrani, Vivi or not?

Sir Brandon wasn't at the fire though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Juniper, Aisha wrote an autobiography at some point and I'm not sure if she has actually written it yet and one of Junipers early pov chapters has her talking about how she can't ever picture herself not doing battle and being at war so all sorts of stereotypes fit into place for her there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd thought we'd seen parts of Aisha's writing in the main story already so it's possible she's already written it. Also haven't there been epigraphs from Juniper as well? But again, I could see it going either way.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2022-01-14 at 12:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed on the first point. My main-cast comment is more about the named members of the Woe. I still don't think there will be a full death rate among the mundanes.

While tragically dying together might be in the cards for Aisha/Juniper, I think it's more likely that only one dies so we get to see the other feel the loss. Juniper does have a limited role to play in the post-world. It's very clear that we aren't settling into some utopia after this, nations are still going to be in conflict and need standing armies even if they aren't fighting, everyone is going to need to rebuild their forces after this. One of them will probably survive to handle that process. Although I suppose it could end up being Abigail's problem...

Do you mean the OG group from school or the war? More explicitly, including Masego, Indrani, Vivi or not?

Sir Brandon wasn't at the fire though.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd thought we'd seen parts of Aisha's writing in the main story already so it's possible she's already written it. Also haven't there been epigraphs from Juniper as well? But again, I could see it going either way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The schoolmates for sure. I did a reread not long ago and its not at all subtle how they get shunted for the Woe after The Doom.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well i guess its not the biggest surprise how the normals slowly gets shifted to the sideline as the stakes starts to grow.
    Cats adventures increasingly got to a point where non-named would not survive the action.

27. - Top - End - #1017

Spoiler
    Show
    If Hakram wasn't part of the Woe, I'd be counting him out. He's talking about retirement plans right before the climactic battle, it could only be worse if he showed Cat a painting of his infant son and mentioned how he'd go home to raise the boy as a proud warrior.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    If Hakram wasn't part of the Woe, I'd be counting him out. He's talking about retirement plans right before the climactic battle, it could only be worse if he showed Cat a painting of his infant son and mentioned how he'd go home to raise the boy as a proud warrior.
    Spoiler
    Show
    as well as mention that he was a mentor to a person that learned almost everything they can from him

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Honestly, while im mostly certain about the Woe im not entirely certain about Harkam.
    He has accomplished his mission of reforming the clans (mostly). He already might have a heir on the way.

Else right now my guess is a distracting frontal attack with the Mirror Knight central, and the Woe sneaking in the back door.