New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

Specifically, it's reasonable confirmation about which enemy's action it is. I wonder how/if Cat will figure it out, since no one saw the foreshadowing that we did.

I rather enjoyed the detective work of this chapter. And both claimant's approaches to solving the dwarves.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

And unless EE stalls on us, Friday will be Cat vs. Hakram 2: Warlord Bugaloo, the fightconversation we have all been waiting for! (thanks to Masego)

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    It is possible for a name to be shared, so why not a joint Warden of the West?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is possible for a name to be shared, so why not a joint Warden of the West?
    Maybe that was a possibility, but this chapter explains why that won't work here. Both Hanno and Cordelia are going all in. One can't succeed without the other losing.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Specifically, it's reasonable confirmation about which enemy's action it is. I wonder how/if Cat will figure it out, since no one saw the foreshadowing that we did.
    I remain sceptical this is foreshading this specific mess. And not the mess at the tower.
    All the same, who is responsible for this is a nobrainer. We have 2 proto-named manipulated.
    Its not the dead king doing this.

Maybe that was a possibility, but this chapter explains why that won't work here. Both Hanno and Cordelia are going all in. One can't succeed without the other losing.
    Honestly a brilliant, if nasty piece of work were done here.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #486
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I remain sceptical this is foreshading this specific mess. And not the mess at the tower.
    Bard was setting Hanno and Cordelia on collision course via Red Axe. The foreshadowing was them disagreeing and maybe Hanno losing fingers at the Arsenal. I don't think it extends to the conflict now. I guess EE had the eventual confrontation about Warden of the West planned out at the time.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

I find it possible the Author had planned stuff that far out. Though im not convinced its the case.
    And i do think people are grasping if they think Hanno losing fingers were relevant enough to be forshadowed.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I find it possible the Author had planned stuff that far out. Though im not convinced its the case.
    And i do think people are grasping if they think Hanno losing fingers were relevant enough to be forshadowed.
    Some of the epigraphs from the earliest books have been referencing things so far out I have to give some benefit of the doubt to EE for planning ahead here. Even if the pacing in the final product is so rough.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Either losing knocks that one of them out, which is bad, but a compromise where they both half-win may be the best Cat can make of what looks like being an awkward mess.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Some of the epigraphs from the earliest books have been referencing things so far out I have to give some benefit of the doubt to EE for planning ahead here. Even if the pacing in the final product is so rough.
    Any that were direct and undeniable references? As i recall the majority of those were pretty vague.
    And looked like the sort of things that could be fitted in if you directly wanted to find references.

As for the current situation. It does look like a titanic mess.
    I am honestly curious about how Cat is going to defuse it.
    Since both Hanno and Cordelia is rather vital for the war.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

I'm of the belief that the idea that "Cat needs to fix this" is going to be proven to be a mistake, in-setting and out.

The Warden of the West is her equal and opposite. Her having a hand in creating the role weakens it, or perhaps even makes it untenable; possibly resulting in the collapse of both their roles.

I suspect any move she makes to "solve" the issue (particularly since it seems to be implied she's ignoring a very important piece of info because it doesn't fit her narrative) is only going to make things worse.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Personally I think Cat is narratively forbidden from interfering in Western politics, and she is going to have to learn it the hard way. The League and Dominion both turned to her for guidance already, they need to go to the Warden of the West.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Personally I think Cat is narratively forbidden from interfering in Western politics, and she is going to have to learn it the hard way. The League and Dominion both turned to her for guidance already, they need to go to the Warden of the West.
    Keep in mind that Hakram is coming as of the next evening. Considering that they are due a talk, and Hakram has direct experience of 'what to do with a former claimant' in a way that Cat doesn't, I don't think it immediately goes to 'Cat will learn the hard way....AGAIN!'

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Keep in mind that Hakram is coming as of the next evening. Considering that they are due a talk, and Hakram has direct experience of 'what to do with a former claimant' in a way that Cat doesn't, I don't think it immediately goes to 'Cat will learn the hard way....AGAIN!'
    Agreed. I also think the way the League envoy and Dwarf envoy showed up to talk to Cat and draw her into the competition is informative. She was ready to be hands off and was convinced to be involved, which is itself a bit of a pivot.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Either losing knocks that one of them out, which is bad, but a compromise where they both half-win may be the best Cat can make of what looks like being an awkward mess.
    Can you think of a compromise where they both half win?
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Can you think of a compromise where they both half win?
    If they talk to the Herald together, one presenting an emotional appeal and the other a logical deal. It's a weak victory for each philosophy (assuming he is actually convinced), but also not an outright loss for either unless the Herald calls out one of them as the one that convinced him (either to agree or to refuse).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    If they talk to the Herald together, one presenting an emotional appeal and the other a logical deal. It's a weak victory for each philosophy (assuming he is actually convinced), but also not an outright loss for either unless the Herald calls out one of them as the one that convinced him (either to agree or to refuse).
    Alternatively she can either get the Herald to say no to both so neither is broken, or get him to say yes before either of them talk to him.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Alternatively she can either get the Herald to say no to both so neither is broken, or get him to say yes before either of them talk to him.
    I could see this if she meets with him specifically as the 'keeper of black laws' as the Warden of the East. Playing the 'worst nightmare' before the meeting in a way comparable to the meeting with Mercantis. THat way she 'sticks to her lane' in not interfering directly with the Warden of the West, but instead forcing the claimants into a room to sort out their differences with perhaps some planning before hand but a alot of inspired work in the moment as well. In this case, it won't be pre arranged signaling that would coordinate Hanno and Cordelia, but the shared Role driving them.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I could see this if she meets with him specifically as the 'keeper of black laws' as the Warden of the East. Playing the 'worst nightmare' before the meeting in a way comparable to the meeting with Mercantis. THat way she 'sticks to her lane' in not interfering directly with the Warden of the West, but instead forcing the claimants into a room to sort out their differences with perhaps some planning before hand but a alot of inspired work in the moment as well. In this case, it won't be pre arranged signaling that would coordinate Hanno and Cordelia, but the shared Role driving them.
    Uses an evil solution that both of them are opposed to so binds them together.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Uses an evil solution that both of them are opposed to so binds them together.
    To be clear I am picturing more of the Warden of the East making the negative appeal to the Herald that counteracts Hanno's positive appeal of emotion and Cordelia focusing on a beneficial agreement. Because Cat is pure Callowan spite in her blood, breath, and bones.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

To be clear I am picturing more of the Warden of the East making the negative appeal to the Herald that counteracts Hanno's positive appeal of emotion and Cordelia focusing on a beneficial agreement. Because Cat is pure Callowan spite in her blood, breath, and bones.
    "The Tower will have some goblins mix powders underground and get the Gomes involved so help me!"

Or more likely bind Calernia to Arcadia permanently and leave the wasteland behind.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

"The Tower will have some goblins mix powders underground and get the Gomes involved so help me!"

Or more likely bind Calernia to Arcadia permanently and leave the wasteland behind.
    I was more thinking along the lines of

'Since support for the campaign against the Dead King is so lacking, we will instead evacuate to Callow, and prepare to leave the continent altogether. As our allies we figured you deserved a warning that the Dead King would now be able to bypass your encirclement.'
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I was more thinking along the lines of

'Since support for the campaign against the Dead King is so lacking, we will instead evacuate to Callow, and prepare to leave the continent altogether. As our allies we figured you deserved a warning that the Dead King would now be able to bypass your encirclement.'
    Yeah that seems legit. If you knife us we get to knife you back. Plus by the time the evil rules come back I imagine the lands will firmly be story entrenched as KotD lands, so the dwarves can't take them.

Edit: alternatively Akua makes a new hellgun and they just open permanent uncontrolled rifts all over KotD's lands so he is swarmed by devils. There aren't any rules to stop her open right now.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2021-09-02 at 06:10 PM.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Edit: alternatively Akua makes a new hellgun and they just open permanent uncontrolled rifts all over KotD's lands so he is swarmed by devils. There aren't any rules to stop her open right now.
    That sounds like an exceptionally bad strategy against a man who made his name by conquering a hell. Sure, it would take him some time, but his victory would be all but guaranteed even if he doesn't take Cat's approach and convert as many Praesi diabolists as he can get his skeletal hands on.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    That sounds like an exceptionally bad strategy against a man who made his name by conquering a hell. Sure, it would take him some time, but his victory would be all but guaranteed even if he doesn't take Cat's approach and convert as many Praesi diabolists as he can get his skeletal hands on.
    Right, which is why she would be threatening the dwarves with it.

New chapter and side chapter up!

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Right, which is why she would be threatening the dwarves with it.

New chapter and side chapter up!
    Ah, that's fair.
    Optimization Trophies

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Well. Nice to have the adult back in the room.
    I did like Hakram's end comment. Perhaps he will also be able to untangle the mess between the two Warden claimants.
    And i do find it a little funny. That so far one of the most emotionally stable people in the story has been an orc xD

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Is the story on hiatus until April 2022?

I could be misreading, but that's what I took away.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

From what? There's no announcement saying that... Are you possibly misreading the placeholder post for the 'extra chapters' that are patreon exclusive until the end of the book? As of April 2021 (I think, don't remember precisely when it changed), the extra chapters showing backstory for alternative characters are reserved only for paying supporters but the regular story updates normally.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2021-09-04 at 12:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Not sure where you have read that. I haven't seen anything that mentioned that, but I could have missed something.