New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Alright, so we have the classic setup in place. A bunch of actors moving towards each other, all but one with scrutable actions and motives. Ranger's probably going to try to kill Masego to "fix" Archer and Cat is going to try and stop her.
    What I think would be an interesting twist is if Cat instead sets her formal table up in the middle of the battlefield and just has people sit down and talk.

She'll have Nim at the table first (and could potentially drag the Rebel Legions to the table if she wished), and then the leaders just talk.

We have Akua mentally criticize Malicia for not sitting down and just discussing what each other's interests were. Having her show up to fight Callowan army and have it instead be a peace conference would further drive the point home. Especially if things evolve with the Orcs such that they can be used as a point that it is more advantageous to have a seat at the table then not. Perhaps to the point that Hakram uses Find like Indrani's See to find and guide the Orc host to this battle ground through Twilight. A great "arrival of an allied host" to be Cat's stick to the carrot.

I guess I agree general assessment that this upcoming battle seems to be such a bloody and empty fight.

Since Sepulchral has broken off communications, she loses this opportunity to be in on the ground floor.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    What I think would be an interesting twist is if Cat instead sets her formal table up in the middle of the battlefield and just has people sit down and talk.

She'll have Nim at the table first (and could potentially drag the Rebel Legions to the table if she wished), and then the leaders just talk.

We have Akua mentally criticize Malicia for not sitting down and just discussing what each other's interests were. Having her show up to fight Callowan army and have it instead be a peace conference would further drive the point home. Especially if things evolve with the Orcs such that they can be used as a point that it is more advantageous to have a seat at the table then not. Perhaps to the point that Hakram uses Find like Indrani's See to find and guide the Orc host to this battle ground through Twilight. A great "arrival of an allied host" to be Cat's stick to the carrot.

I guess I agree general assessment that this upcoming battle seems to be such a bloody and empty fight.

Since Sepulchral has broken off communications, she loses this opportunity to be in on the ground floor.
    My assumption is if Amadeus declared pretty much everyone would flip over to him, but he needs a 5 man band to kill the emerald swords for him so he's trying to get Named together before he declares. Having him show up, declare himself at a peace conference, and then make them fight off the elves for him seems entirely up his alley. The Ranger foreshadoing implies there is going to be some kind of armed conflict between him and Cat, but what kind we don't know yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

My assumption is if Amadeus declared pretty much everyone would flip over to him, but he needs a 5 man band to kill the emerald swords for him so he's trying to get Named together before he declares. Having him show up, declare himself at a peace conference, and then make them fight off the elves for him seems entirely up his alley. The Ranger foreshadoing implies there is going to be some kind of armed conflict between him and Cat, but what kind we don't know yet.
    My assumption is that Amadeus is planning on destroying the Tower entirely and permanently. He doesn't intend to conquer Praes, he intends to break it, and kill the concept of Dread Emperor/Empress.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    My assumption is that Amadeus is planning on destroying the Tower entirely and permanently. He doesn't intend to conquer Praes, he intends to break it, and kill the concept of Dread Emperor/Empress.
    I'm operating on the same assumption. He's got a whole heap of Goblinfire and a backdoor into Ater while everyone else is fighting elsewhere and all the attention will be there. What else could he be planning? My assumption is that we get to the big, climactic battle scene only for the horizon to light up like a nuclear bomb, Cat says 'Honestly, it's not me, I barely even do Goblinfire any more!' and Amadeus shows up with a proclamation that Praes is now a federal democracy and anyone who has a problem with that can take it up with the smoking hole that used to be the Tower. I still have his endgame pegged as 'Villain instructor at Cat's future Named academy', after all (for reference, I see Hanno as Hero Instructor for much that same reason). Dread Emperor Benevolent, while an amusing bit of irony, wouldn't fit with that.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

He will need more than that. I know it was mentioned at least once in the story so far that the Tower has been physically demolished before. But it was always rebuilt, even bigger than the last time.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

He will need more than that. I know it was mentioned at least once in the story so far that the Tower has been physically demolished before. But it was always rebuilt, even bigger than the last time.
    That's why the goblin fire. He isn't going to just demolish it, he's going to burn every bit of it with something that can destroy a Name's Aspect.

Also I imagine he isn't concerned about collateral damage, and so Ater is also going to suffer massive amounts of damage. And that's where the conflict comes in with Cat. He knows she's trying to take Praes relatively intact, and would be opposed to the slaughter of so many people.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Somehow I missed that foreshadowing, my reading abilities have declined over the course of covid and working full time :/

One thing I am hoping will come up is the time demon mentioned earlier in the story. Praes lost a war with Keter and then destroyed that timeline to keep from being crushed, and while that might have been a Gnome style throwaway it would be interesting to see if Malicia pulls it out of the hat.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Alright, so we have the classic setup in place. A bunch of actors moving towards each other, all but one with scrutable actions and motives. Ranger's probably going to try to kill Masego to "fix" Archer and Cat is going to try and stop her.
    I'd be surprised if she targets Masego. 1) We already saw that with the Dead King, it'd being repeating the same story beat. 2) Ranger likely doesn't have a problem with Archer and Masego, she could care less about that. She has a problem with Archer subordinating herself to Cat. Besides, we've already seen her want to kill Cat, to hunt her for the challenge of it.

That's why the goblin fire. He isn't going to just demolish it, he's going to burn every bit of it with something that can destroy a Name's Aspect.
    Also I imagine he isn't concerned about collateral damage, and so Ater is also going to suffer massive amounts of damage. And that's where the conflict comes in with Cat. He knows she's trying to take Praes relatively intact, and would be opposed to the slaughter of so many people.
    Say what? Goblinfire didn't destroy Cat's aspect, the demon of corruption did. Or rather Masego did after the demon corrupted it. Have we ever seen an aspect destroyed outside of that? I don't think so. Black's probably planning on attacking the tower and slaughtering as many high lords as he can, but I doubt he can/wants to destroy the Tower. The idea of him establishing a democracy is laughable. He's a dictator through and through. The idea of peacefully accepting the outcome even if he loses is about as anathema of concept to him as possible.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    I'd be surprised if she targets Masego. 1) We already saw that with the Dead King, it'd being repeating the same story beat. 2) Ranger likely doesn't have a problem with Archer and Masego, she could care less about that. She has a problem with Archer subordinating herself to Cat. Besides, we've already seen her want to kill Cat, to hunt her for the challenge of it.

Say what? Goblinfire didn't destroy Cat's aspect, the demon of corruption did. Or rather Masego did after the demon corrupted it. Have we ever seen an aspect destroyed outside of that? I don't think so. Black's probably planning on attacking the tower and slaughtering as many high lords as he can, but I doubt he can/wants to destroy the Tower. The idea of him establishing a democracy is laughable. He's a dictator through and through. The idea of peacefully accepting the outcome even if he loses is about as anathema of concept to him as possible.
    When Cat was talking to Scribe, she mentioned how the animated Aspect "Assassin" could be destroyed permanently by goblinfire.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Goblinfire can theoretically destroy anything. That's what it does. It burns using the essence of the world as fuel, which is why it burns magic as easily as anything else, and can destroy even 'indestructible' things. The whole point of Goblinfire is that nothing is safe from it, period. It could wipe the Tower entirely from existence.

As for the Democracy bit... A bit of glibness on my part, though I will say that Amadeus isn't a dictator per se. He's an authoritarian. He believes firmly in a hierarchy and the rule of law, but doesn't necessarily have a problem with independent thought as long as it doesn't threaten the structure as a whole and prefers systems where capable individuals can rise through the ranks. He's never been shown having a problem with someone exceeding the bounds of his orders, or even going against them, if they had information he didn't and were doing it to further goals he ultimately agreed with. I expect his vision of a better Praes is probably something along the lines of 'ruling council made up of representatives from each region of Praes along with the high commanders of the Legions and maybe a couple of other institutions', with the full intention of establishing a meritocratic hierarchy in each individual piece of the system. Because yeah, he doesn't necessarily want to enfranchise the common person. He just wants to get rid of the Dread Emperors and the nobility and slightly decentralize the ultimate authority of Praes. His goal was always a future where organizations hold the power, not Names, and some sort of Federal system is probably the best way to achieve that given what we've seen of Praes.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I do wonder if smiting the location where something is destroyed by goblinfire would restore the idea of the thing. Smites reset the world's factory default, so it would be interesting to see how they interact.

12. - Top - End - #72

DwarfClericGuy

@Glyphstone

Thanks I went back and reread that section. It's educated speculation on cat's part and has to do with the specific nature of Inscribe/ assassin. So probably true, but not necessarily generalizable to other aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Goblinfire can theoretically destroy anything. That's what it does. It burns using the essence of the world as fuel, which is why it burns magic as easily as anything else, and can destroy even 'indestructible' things. The whole point of Goblinfire is that nothing is safe from it, period. It could wipe the Tower entirely from existence.

As for the Democracy bit... A bit of glibness on my part, though I will say that Amadeus isn't a dictator per se. He's an authoritarian. He believes firmly in a hierarchy and the rule of law, but doesn't necessarily have a problem with independent thought as long as it doesn't threaten the structure as a whole and prefers systems where capable individuals can rise through the ranks. He's never been shown having a problem with someone exceeding the bounds of his orders, or even going against them, if they had information he didn't and were doing it to further goals he ultimately agreed with. I expect his vision of a better Praes is probably something along the lines of 'ruling council made up of representatives from each region of Praes along with the high commanders of the Legions and maybe a couple of other institutions', with the full intention of establishing a meritocratic hierarchy in each individual piece of the system. Because yeah, he doesn't necessarily want to enfranchise the common person. He just wants to get rid of the Dread Emperors and the nobility and slightly decentralize the ultimate authority of Praes. His goal was always a future where organizations hold the power, not Names, and some sort of Federal system is probably the best way to achieve that given what we've seen of Praes.
    It could burn the tower down. But it can't destroy the story. And it doesn't leave gaping black holes where nothing can be built again. A new Tower would just be raised. To truly break the Tower, you have to make people stop believing in the tower.

I'm not really interested in arguing the semantics of dictator versus authoritarian. He doesn't care about rule of law other than as a tool. He isn't about decentralization at all. The legions are as centralized and regimented as possible. He wants to gut the nobility because he hates their entitlement.

The only time he ever cared about sharing power was with Cat in Callow. And that was only because he saw it as a way to accomplish his greater goal. His overall control was always assumed never in question.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

When I started writing this post, I was going to concur that goblinfire wouldn't be enough on its own, but after thinking it over I'm not as sure. We've never actually seen it burn an aspect, but I think Cat's speculation is accurate. It does burn magic. The main limitation it has on "burning a story" so to speak is that it seems to spread physically, and so I don't think it could 'reach' a story so to speak, not unless it is focused on something physical (like an aspect is in a person, or perhaps a magical item - I wonder if it would have been better to burn the angel feather sword instead of breaking it?). But... the focus of Praes, and even its ruling name, is very much the tower. I wonder if burning it might actually do some damage. I'm still a bit dubious, but it seems more plausible than it did on first consideration.

That said, I think it's largely irrelevant whether goblinfire is sufficient to do the job. Amadeus has shown some proficiency with stories, and I really think he'd know if destroying the tower isn't sufficient. Destroying it is a potent symbol though, and that's something I think could be leveraged into the true death of the tower and it's narrative.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't know how that helps anyone tbh. Praes' nobles are the local rulers that were unified into the Empire, and Amadeus is popular for offering semi-autonomy to their minority species in return for troops. Unifying the Empire into a State and getting rid of the nobles would involve stripping his allies of their independence not freeing them up.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

@Glyphstone

Thanks I went back and reread that section. It's educated speculation on cat's part and has to do with the specific nature of Inscribe/ assassin. So probably true, but not necessarily generalizable to other aspects.

It could burn the tower down. But it can't destroy the story. And it doesn't leave gaping black holes where nothing can be built again. A new Tower would just be raised. To truly break the Tower, you have to make people stop believing in the tower.

I'm not really interested in arguing the semantics of dictator versus authoritarian. He doesn't care about rule of law other than as a tool. He isn't about decentralization at all. The legions are as centralized and regimented as possible. He wants to gut the nobility because he hates their entitlement.

The only time he ever cared about sharing power was with Cat in Callow. And that was only because he saw it as a way to accomplish his greater goal. His overall control was always assumed never in question.

Sure it would. Problem is that most Aspects are contained within the Named using them. Destroying them would require setting the Named on fire, which would destroy definetely destroy the Aspect as the Named using it would be quite dead.

It definitely isn't sufficient to destroy the Name, but it might be necessary to destroy the Name. I mean, destroying the power base of the Tower is a pretty big step in making sure that Dread Emperors/Empresses don't really rule anymore. Next step might be wiping out all the contenders who want that role in the first place. AKA the Nobility.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sure it would. Problem is that most Aspects are contained within the Named using them. Destroying them would require setting the Named on fire, which would destroy definetely destroy the Aspect as the Named using it would be quite dead.

It definitely isn't sufficient to destroy the Name, but it might be necessary to destroy the Name. I mean, destroying the power base of the Tower is a pretty big step in making sure that Dread Emperors/Empresses don't really rule anymore. Next step might be wiping out all the contenders who want that role in the first place. AKA the Nobility.
    Whew. Been awhile since I posted.

To add to the quoted, I theorize that it’s plausible to burn out a Name with enough goblin fire. We know that Aspects can be destroyed, and we know that they are linked to specific names (like how Learn is to Squire) and when Cat went down one Aspect she didn’t gain another to replace it: she had to be reset as it were and dealt another three Aspects. So burn enough Aspects and it’s possible that a Name will cease to function due to, uh, lack of resources.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post

To add to the quoted, I theorize that it’s plausible to burn out a Name with enough goblin fire. We know that Aspects can be destroyed, and we know that they are linked to specific names (like how Learn is to Squire) and when Cat went down one Aspect she didn’t gain another to replace it: she had to be reset as it were and dealt another three Aspects. So burn enough Aspects and it’s possible that a Name will cease to function due to, uh, lack of resources.
    Oh, I disagree with that. Aspects are linked to certain Roles, sure. Because those Roles have...well roles. A Squire is all about learning to become a better Named, so they naturally have Aspects related to that. Each Name has it's own personal Aspects that are related to that Named and that Named only. If Cat had somehow completely destroyed her Learn as an Aspect, it wouldn't effect Arthur's Aspect of Learn.

So I don't think you could just Goblinfire enough Squires to rid reality of the name Squire. Each name arises separately to fit an established groove. You'd have to remove the groove which is difficult to say the least.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

18. - Top - End - #78

DwarfClericGuy

Aspects are linked to names because they tend to be linked to the Role. Cat and Arthur both had Learn because it was necessary to their Role at the time. When Cat claimed Squire a second time, Learn wasn't a part of her Role any more. As a result she got a new set of aspects better linked to the Role she was filling (Take, Break, Fall)

19. - Top - End - #79

BlackDragon

Oh, I disagree with that. Aspects are linked to certain Roles, sure. Because those Roles have...well roles. A Squire is all about learning to become a better Named, so they naturally have Aspects related to that. Each Name has it's own personal Aspects that are related to that Named and that Named only. If Cat had somehow completely destroyed her Learn as an Aspect, it wouldn't effect Arthur's Aspect of Learn.

So I don't think you could just Goblinfire enough Squires to rid reality of the name Squire. Each name arises separately to fit an established groove. You'd have to remove the groove which is difficult to say the least.
    The Aspect is a representation of that groove however. If that Aspect is destroyed why would it reshape into itself again? In the Learn example, I posit that if Cat DID end up having that destroyed instead that Squire would no longer have access to it. I’m basing it on the fact that if an Aspect can just reshape she should have gotten her Aspect back. The Name could endure, but I believe that the power it had can be stripped from it. Leaving the Aspect of the Name no longer being usable, leaving the Name to stop being such.
    Aspects are linked to names because they tend to be linked to the Role. Cat and Arthur both had Learn because it was necessary to their Role at the time. When Cat claimed Squire a second time, Learn wasn't a part of her Role any more. As a result she got a new set of aspects better linked to the Role she was filling (Take, Break, Fall)
    True, but I think that there’s not enough data to disprove that or support my position so I will let it go

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

The Aspect is a representation of that groove however. If that Aspect is destroyed why would it reshape into itself again? In the Learn example, I posit that if Cat DID end up having that destroyed instead that Squire would no longer have access to it. I’m basing it on the fact that if an Aspect can just reshape she should have gotten her Aspect back. The Name could endure, but I believe that the power it had can be stripped from it. Leaving the Aspect of the Name no longer being usable, leaving the Name to stop being such.
    Because the Aspects are unique to the Named that use them, even if the Aspect is the same. Like Learn. It didn't help Cat become a better fighter at all. It was all technical stuff like learning languages and remembering what she read. but with Arthur it doesn't help his book learning, instead it is entirely focused on making him a better fighter. Same Aspect, but completely different results.

So don't think of the Aspects as independent of the Name. The Name itself creates the Aspect, depending on the individual. And we know Goblinfire isn't enough to wipe out a Name. Or else they wouldn't have had people trying to become the Chancellor. They would've just let someone become Chancellor, burned him with Goblinfire, and never have to deal with that problem again.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

21. - Top - End - #81

I mean, destroying the power base of the Tower is a pretty big step in making sure that Dread Emperors/Empresses don't really rule anymore. Next step might be wiping out all the contenders who want that role in the first place. AKA the Nobility.
    I think that's Part of Amadeus' Plan, since he apparently works on getting all the nobility to Ater. The foundation of the Tower is not rock, it is the noble class who have an interest in keeping the system going. If you want to get rid of the Tower, you have to get rid of them. Preferably by Goblinefire.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Has Cat just been dumped into the lap of the new Dark Knight?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-04-23 at 02:46 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Sometimes Cat's attitude grates, and I kind of hope she ends up being the one stuck holding Keter shut forever.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Sometimes Cat's attitude grates, and I kind of hope she ends up being the one stuck holding Keter shut forever.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the long price thing, which is just Callow. Akua murdered 100,000 Callowans, that's not going to be forgiven.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I’ll admit, not quite the level of punishment I was hoping for but it’s adequate I guess.

EDIT Stupid phone doesn't want to spoiler box things
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2021-04-23 at 06:17 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the long price thing, which is just Callow. Akua murdered 100,000 Callowans, that's not going to be forgiven.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh I agree. And Cat's decision to let Akua go and decide her on fate is just and fair, Cat just grates on me sometimes.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Last chapter really makes you question Junipers skill.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Set up a fortification. Its suddenly unteneble, without enemy using any new/fancy stuff.
    Last edited by Rydiro; 2021-04-27 at 06:12 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Set up a fortification. Its suddenly unteneble, without enemy using any new/fancy stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The enemy brought another force on another side of the fortifications. That's plenty to change the calculations. Feels like our protagonists are playing by the enemy's rules... I expect that to change next chapter with Cat doing something... Cat.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's more Akua blew their plan up, and then with their advantages negated, being outnumbered, fighting good generals, and on foreign land they were simply out played. If Akua wasn't there the army would have gotten there before there was a fort, Cat would have mangled their cavalry ambush and their night attack probably would have worked. Losing a member of your five man band to the other side is incredibly destructive, Cat is being punished for her personal vengeance here.

And the hubris to think the army that taught you war is as incompetent as the armies you have been shredding with them.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's more Akua blew their plan up, and then with their advantages negated, being outnumbered, fighting good generals, and on foreign land they were simply out played. If Akua wasn't there the army would have gotten there before there was a fort, Cat would have mangled their cavalry ambush and their night attack probably would have worked. Losing a member of your five man band to the other side is incredibly destructive, Cat is being punished for her personal vengeance here.

And the hubris to think the army that taught you war is as incompetent as the armies you have been shredding with them.
    Is it hubris when you feel like you are running out of options?

As in, Cat isn't invading for personal glory akin to Alexander the Great. She is literally at war with Malicia since Praes is allied with the Dead King.

As for 'personal vengeance', I think it is worth noting that while Cat has ulterior motives, her actual actions with Akua since Keter has been 'give a former enemy a second chance'. Cat's rejection of Akua is only on the romantic side here, she didn't banish Akua.