New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Is it hubris when you feel like you are running out of options?

As in, Cat isn't invading for personal glory akin to Alexander the Great. She is literally at war with Malicia since Praes is allied with the Dead King.

As for 'personal vengeance', I think it is worth noting that while Cat has ulterior motives, her actual actions with Akua since Keter has been 'give a former enemy a second chance'. Cat's rejection of Akua is only on the romantic side here, she didn't banish Akua.
    She also didn't do anything to soften the blow, or keep Akua on their side. In fact she openly states she planned for Akua to switch sides so she could break her completely in preparation for making her into a living lock. The hubris is assuming she has enough of an advantage to win the war on foreign grounds, in a way that perfectly suits her designs (IE not working with Sepulchral or the lost legions because she wants Praes reformed), and ditches her most important ally for the job to the enemy. It is all very similar to her invasion of the underdark, or the Proceran invasion of Callow. Refusing to compromise and assuming the world can be changed to meet your vision for it.

By the logic of the story Cat should lose this war like everyone else who makes that choice does, so I am assuming Amadeus totally changes what is happening when he comes center stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    She also didn't do anything to soften the blow, or keep Akua on their side. In fact she openly states she planned for Akua to switch sides so she could break her completely in preparation for making her into a living lock. The hubris is assuming she has enough of an advantage to win the war on foreign grounds, in a way that perfectly suits her designs (IE not working with Sepulchral or the lost legions because she wants Praes reformed), and ditches her most important ally for the job to the enemy. It is all very similar to her invasion of the underdark, or the Proceran invasion of Callow. Refusing to compromise and assuming the world can be changed to meet your vision for it.

By the logic of the story Cat should lose this war like everyone else who makes that choice does, so I am assuming Amadeus totally changes what is happening when he comes center stage.
    I'm at the point where I'm assuming Amadeus' plan ends up working. Partially because he's a villain, and the first step of the plan works. So he's making a plan that is only one step. Sure he might die or be overthrown immediately afterwards, but he won't care because the 'mold' of Praes will be permanently broken by then.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I'm at the point where I'm assuming Amadeus' plan ends up working. Partially because he's a villain, and the first step of the plan works. So he's making a plan that is only one step. Sure he might die or be overthrown immediately afterwards, but he won't care because the 'mold' of Praes will be permanently broken by then.
    Yeah I imagine Praes gets wrecked in such a way that it doesn't help them much against Keter, so angel ex nukea gets used.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Somehow I don't really envy Malicia if her goal is to put Cat at a disadvantage to be willing to negotiate. Being at a disadvantage is where Cat does her best work.

Such as turning being cornered by a superior force led by the new Black Knight into crossing a lake on foot and taking over a fortress just in time for everything to get crazy and every plan shatter to the magnificent chaos that is Catherine Foundling.

I have no idea what's going to happen next and that greatly amuses me. That's usually when the Guide gets fun.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    Somehow I don't really envy Malicia if her goal is to put Cat at a disadvantage to be willing to negotiate. Being at a disadvantage is where Cat does her best work.

Such as turning being cornered by a superior force led by the new Black Knight into crossing a lake on foot and taking over a fortress just in time for everything to get crazy and every plan shatter to the magnificent chaos that is Catherine Foundling.

I have no idea what's going to happen next and that greatly amuses me. That's usually when the Guide gets fun.
    Im gonna hazard a guess and say we learn first hand the effects of the angel nuke next. Being in a three way dance is something Cat has done before so i doubt it be treaded again so quickly.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    So we learn a lot this chapter. Hakram is slowly being moved towards taking control of the horde, Banjo is going to recruit the last Titan to help save mankind (as the foil to using the angel) and thinks Procer is going towards a villain kingdom.

7. - Top - End - #97

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So we learn a lot this chapter. Hakram is slowly being moved towards taking control of the horde, Banjo is going to recruit the last Titan to help save mankind (as the foil to using the angel) and thinks Procer is going towards a villain kingdom.
    You missed one more..
    Spoiler
    Show
    there is another going for the Name of White Knight as Hanno moves towards another Name. In Salia. And who do we know that is there?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    You missed one more..
    Spoiler
    Show
    there is another going for the Name of White Knight as Hanno moves towards another Name. In Salia. And who do we know that is there?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think you may have misread that one? I believe the implication is that there is another claimant in Salia for the new Name the White Knight is in the running for. Which means the most obvious Name is "Warden of the West," therefore the other claimant would be Cordellia. Which could nice put the two at odds, and aligns with Hano's thoughts about her in this Interlude.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think you may have misread that one? I believe the implication is that there is another claimant in Salia for the new Name the White Knight is in the running for. Which means the most obvious Name is "Warden of the West," therefore the other claimant would be Cordellia. Which could nice put the two at odds, and aligns with Hano's thoughts about her in this Interlude.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Makes hannos misconceptions about cordelia even more glaringly obvious. At the same time elbow deep in evil and claimant for a good name. Funny how that works.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: Beatify
    Show
    So we get Laurence's backstory and it's pretty good. The irony that she was taken in for not striking when she didn't have to developing into someone who strikes automatically to power her name is quite interesting. She basically becomes the opposite of her teacher in moral regard due to her desire to avenge him.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Makes hannos misconceptions about cordelia even more glaringly obvious. At the same time elbow deep in evil and claimant for a good name. Funny how that works.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, that assumes it is a good name. No reason it couldn't be one of the flexible names, either the ones where an individual Named can be Hero or Villain depending on the story (e.g. Ranger) or where depending on the Named they will be either Hero or Villain all the time (e.g. Squire, Tyrant of Helike).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

12. - Top - End - #102

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    you are right. My apologies.

New chapter up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    if there was any doubt that the Name Cat was growing into was going to be monstrous, it’s gone now. Like... damn. Malicia got jacked up that badly by being told to shut up?!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Its certainly interesting how this is going to unfold. Everyone still has their plots in the air.
    But at the moment. Then i now make the prediction that its Akua that will end up as empress.

It is kinda interesting how despite all her plotting she wont hear the song.
    I suspect its because she lost faith in what she were doing. In the plotting and scheming that is.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I haven't been entirely on board with The Plan with Akua since I still think the timing for the ideal punishment passed a long time ago, but the sheer suffering in her internal monologue here has been quite enjoyable. Perhaps Cat was onto something after all.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I haven't been entirely on board with The Plan with Akua since I still think the timing for the ideal punishment passed a long time ago, but the sheer suffering in her internal monologue here has been quite enjoyable. Perhaps Cat was onto something after all.
    Eh, I no longer think Akua should be punished at all. It serves no purpose, she is no longer the person she used to be. Time to turn her completely to Good seems to be running out too, considering she has to complete a career in Praes first.
    That said, I didn't quite get what Akuas problem in the last interlude was. The thing about not getting into the campfire/inner circle.
    Last edited by Rydiro; 2021-05-10 at 05:40 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106

BlackDragon

Eh, I no longer think Akua should be punished at all. It serves no purpose, she is no longer the person she used to be. Time to turn her completely to Good seems to be running out too, considering she has to complete a career in Praes first.
    That said, I didn't quite get what Akuas problem in the last interlude was. The thing about not getting into the campfire/inner circle.
    I’m just making a guess but I’m assuming that she’s comparing herself to malicia in that instance. That she realized that while initially she did what she did to have some control, she came to the realization that she actually wanted to be there. But they weren’t fooled by her words. It’s one of those “action speaks louder” things and she didn’t follow through.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, I no longer think Akua should be punished at all. It serves no purpose, she is no longer the person she used to be.
    Well yes, that was sort of the point. The person she was was so far gone down the rabbit hole she functionally could barely even be punished because even the worst of possible fates, being tied to her mortal enemy as a shade forever, was just fair play to her. She had to become a better version of herself so she would actually be capable of suffering for all her mass murder and Evil.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Her punishment is being that different person. Nothing has changed. Frig, people are actually her friends. But yeah, the shadow of her mass murder does still hang over her. People might be able to enjoy being around her despite that, but it very much does hang over them. So yeah, Cat and others can't fully forgive her for that. In Cat's case, this completely prevents Akua and her from ever having a relationship. And that breaks Akua's heart. She wants to be with Cat, but that's impossible.

Cat's plan, her revenge if you will, is based entirely on Akua's own guilty conscious making her choose to sacrifice herself to act as the Warden of the Dead King's prison. Personally? I don't think it will work. Though I would find it absolutely hilarious if she became an agent of Contrition instead.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

So yeah, Cat and others can't fully forgive her for that. In Cat's case, this completely prevents Akua and her from ever having a relationship.
    I mostly agree with you. Cat is a massive hypocritical control freak though. She never was Akuas friend, but planned for her to suffer all along. Malicia is exactly right, Cat would forgive Hakram killing a hundred thousand without batting an eye.
    Its really like Cats "love" with killian. She actually only cares for this other person as long as they conform to her ideas. She makes exceptions for the Woe and old friends, because they keep her somewhat sane.
    She even plans for Akua to switch sides and then she is angry Akua has to do military actions against her army.
    Last edited by Rydiro; 2021-05-10 at 03:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

I mostly agree with you. Cat is a massive hypocritical control freak though. She never was Akuas friend, but planned for her to suffer all along. Malicia is exactly right, Cat would forgive Hakram killing a hundred thousand without batting an eye.
    Its really like Cats "love" with killian. She actually only cares for this other person as long as they conform to her ideas. She makes exceptions for the Woe and old friends, because they keep her somewhat sane.
    She even plans for Akua to switch sides and then she is angry Akua has to do military actions against her army.
    I'd agree that Cat is a massive control freak, she always has been. A hypocrite too, though to be fair, it isn't so much that Akua killed hundred thousand people, it's that she killed one hundred thousand Callowans. Cat is still evil, and she very much operates on a 'mine first' kind of morality. I mean, if it wasn't for the Dead King, she'd be fully on board with Black's rampage through Procur.

Anyways, I'd argue that Cat never wanted to become Akua's friend, but found herself liking Akua despite herself. Still she had to get her revenge () so she went forward with her plan regardless.

But I'm not trying to justify it in any way. I'm of the opinion that long elaborate revenges are stupid. You get your enemy in your grasp? You end them in as decisive manner as possible and then move on with your bloody life. Or you try and rehabilitate them/redeem them. None of this middle ground BS.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

But I'm not trying to justify it in any way. I'm of the opinion that long elaborate revenges are stupid. You get your enemy in your grasp? You end them in as decisive manner as possible and then move on with your bloody life. Or you try and rehabilitate them/redeem them. None of this middle ground BS.
    This. It's mostly a miracle things have gone this well with a viper like Akua and it's a tragedy that the stakes were so high they had to let her out and about for so long after the drow incident. Although a slightly more elaborate plan then just execution could have worked just as well. Taking her the night she admitted she had finally grasped she could have had warmth and friendship by the fireside all along and then tossing her back into some very sturdy object before burying it in the foundation of some random building to sit for all eternity in the void. Just elaborate enough to get the desired outcome of punishing a person who actually has reached the point they understand what they did wrong but not so elaborate it gets a ton of your people killed and potentially just lets her off the leash to cause sever harm to you and yours.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. I do agree to a large part. As Rydiro mentioned earlier. The Doom of Liesse died a while ago.
    Punishment would be a little silly. Just about everyone is soaked in the blood of the innocent anyway. Certainly Cats hands are not much cleaner.

But well. I guess in this complicated case. The middle ground were more for a chance to lock the Dead King up forever.

Else. Akua's entire storyarc has been really interesting so far.
    Im really savoring the twists and turns. Especially since Cat stole her heart.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    This. It's mostly a miracle things have gone this well with a viper like Akua and it's a tragedy that the stakes were so high they had to let her out and about for so long after the drow incident. Although a slightly more elaborate plan then just execution could have worked just as well. Taking her the night she admitted she had finally grasped she could have had warmth and friendship by the fireside all along and then tossing her back into some very sturdy object before burying it in the foundation of some random building to sit for all eternity in the void. Just elaborate enough to get the desired outcome of punishing a person who actually has reached the point they understand what they did wrong but not so elaborate it gets a ton of your people killed and potentially just lets her off the leash to cause sever harm to you and yours.
    That just sounds like the start of something where she rises from the dead twice as powerful as before to threaten Callow in Cats twilight years, forcing Cat to sacrifice herself to buy whoever comes after her time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    That just sounds like the start of something where she rises from the dead twice as powerful as before to threaten Callow in Cats twilight years, forcing Cat to sacrifice herself to buy whoever comes after her time.
    That's a good point - Catherine's not just pushing for a punishment, but for a self-executing punishment. One that constructs its own narrative so that the beliefs of the world enforce it in perpetuity.
    Last edited by uncool; 2021-05-11 at 12:56 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Trope: Unspoken plan guarantee - now that Cat explained her plan with Akua and the Dead King it wont come about as she plans or even fail completely.

26. - Top - End - #116

BlackDragon

New chapter, new spoilers. Simple but good. And expected

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

A Chekhov's Gun 5 years in the making. And from another Chapter 19, no less. Very nice.
    Last edited by uncool; 2021-05-22 at 01:06 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

A Chekhov's Gun 5 years in the making. And from another Chapter 19, no less. Very nice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In all likelihood, the information presented this late in the game will be moved to earlier in the series. My understanding is that EE plans to rewrite the series in publishing to have Praes be more explored in Book 2, so that the information isn't so backloaded in the final book. It'll make the gun fire a lot straighter for people.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    When was the 13th legion discussed before?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    When was the 13th legion discussed before?
    Spoiler
    Show

https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpre...pter-19-pivot/
    “Our history teacher is from there,” Nauk said. “Used to be part of the Thirteenth.”
    Ah, the famous Traitor Legion. Legio XIII, Auxilia. It had been raised in the wake of the Conquest, made up mostly of former bandits and mercenaries. Every Callowan with a grudge against the throne had flocked to the banner, and they’d been instrumental in making sure the south surrendered after the fall of the capital – the prospect of that band of armed malcontents sacking their way through the southern cities had been utterly horrifying to the few remaining nobles.
    And it's a Chekhov's Gun inserted in the right way: used for one purpose in the moment (to explore Callowan politics a bit and Praesi politics quite a bit more), only to be repurposed (or rather, to have the real purpose shown) much, much later.

A few others:
    https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpre...ter-12-string/
    The Thirteenth did, having been raised from Callowan bandits and rebels, but only six hundred horsemen or so.
    https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpre...ter-3-demesne/
    The Thirteenth Legion was garrisoned there and, having been raised out of Callowan rebels and criminals, actually had a cavalry contingent
    https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpre...pter-34-talks/
    “Even the Thirteenth Legion only has a thousand riders.”
    https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpre...12/31/prodigy/
    “I thought there was a decree about the Thirteenth Legion getting first pick of mounts out of the provinces,” he said.
    https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpre...-intervention/
    What few war horses had remained were either closely kept by the last of the Callowan aristocracy or by law set aside for the use of the Legions of Terror – in specific the Thirteenth, which had been raised from Callowan bandits and rebels in the first place.
    https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpre...hapter-3-cost/
    but no Callowans. They had a preferred tavern of their own, I’d been informed, run by a retired member of the Thirteenth Legion. I could understand the urge to cling to what you knew, but that didn’t make it any less of a problem for me. Off-duty is where friendships are made.
    https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpre...r-33-promises/
    We’ve never managed to secure more horses than needed to replenish the ranks of the Thirteenth Legion without risking rebellion.
    https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpre...3-moroks-plan/
    I’m not getting posted in Thalassina with the Thirteenth to break up bickering merchants.”
    So this is bigger than I remembered - this is basically the only real cavalry the Legion has.
    Last edited by uncool; 2021-05-22 at 10:10 AM.