New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I'm all for helping get authors paid, almost all my patreon stuff is web serial stuff. I just don't personally support the paywall thing. I want to support the whole community not just get something nifty for me. Like for example, if TWI started making the interludes patron only I would have to really reconsider supporting it.
    I sense that any further discussion on this subject will jump into a fight, so I'm going to just agree to disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil III: A Series of Unfortunate Peace Treaties

Quote Originally Posted by NulliusinVerba View Post
    Spoiler: Interlude: South
    Show
    So... will Basilia get a Name, do we think?

And if so, what do we think the odds are that said Name will be the Warden of the South?

Also loved seeing the Bellerophon nonsense once again! Their madness never disappoints.
    Bellerophon is genuinely my favorite faction in the setting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Bellerophon is genuinely my favorite faction in the setting.
    Its Democracy without Rule of Law nor protected minorities. Action Democrazy.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I'm all for helping get authors paid, almost all my patreon stuff is web serial stuff. I just don't personally support the paywall thing. I want to support the whole community not just get something nifty for me. Like for example, if TWI started making the interludes patron only I would have to really reconsider supporting it.
    Erraticerrata has said that the extra chapters will be freely accessible once the current book is done. Patreon just gets you early access to the bonus material.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Erraticerrata has said that the extra chapters will be freely accessible once the current book is done. Patreon just gets you early access to the bonus material.
    A paywall that will eventually be taken down is still a paywall.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

What happened to the Blackguards?

The reference a chapter or two ago to Juniper's parentage made me go back to read the Academy plot at the end of the first book, and back then, Black had a company of Blackguards serving as his personal bodyguards (one even has a name, and a bit of a personality, tertiary character as they are). There is even frequent talk of Cat probably wanting to form one of her own. The blackguards don't seem to be around anymore, but I cannot for the life of me remember what happened to them. Does the story address it? Killed by Tariq, maybe? Or did they just vanish at some point, never to be mentioned again?

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

The reference a chapter or two ago to Juniper's parentage made me go back to read the Academy plot at the end of the first book, and back then, Black had a company of Blackguards serving as his personal bodyguards (one even has a name, and a bit of a personality, tertiary character as they are). There is even frequent talk of Cat probably wanting to form one of her own. The blackguards don't seem to be around anymore, but I cannot for the life of me remember what happened to them. Does the story address it? Killed by Tariq, maybe? Or did they just vanish at some point, never to be mentioned again?

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
    I had assumed they died when Tariq killed everyone except Amadeus in his army.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I had assumed they died when Tariq killed everyone except Amadeus in his army.
    I had presumed so as well. However, when Amadeus set out back to Praes, he mentioned leaving 'his people' in Cat's care, which at the time seemed like the Blackguard were still around in some capacity (it sounded like more than just the Legions in Exile at the time). I could be wrong in recollection/interpretation, though.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: Hakram
    Show
    I kind of saw that coming, but certainly not the conversation with his friends in his head (and that it would be Cat and the two he got along with least haha.)

Really good chapter as nearly always.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
    Spoiler: End of Book V
    Show
    So Black’s original retinue of Blackguard almost certainly died on the shores of Lake Artoise. He did replace them later in Book V after being rescued from Neshamah by Cat, but when he dismissed Eudokia from his service he also got rid of all of them. Cat notes their absence in the final pre-epilogue chapter of Book V.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    So Hakram is Warlord now.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: North lll
    Show
    That happened a lot quicker than I expected, but did not feel unearned. I like that the story spends some time exploring the effects of economical ties on societies and cultural identity. Most Fantasy I've read is a lot more static than that.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Did the procrean house of light have any named priests? Or are they so corrupt and hated by the populace that there are none?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Did the procrean house of light have any named priests? Or are they so corrupt and hated by the populace that there are none?
    Procer has almost no Named at all. The country is too successful and has too many stories to burn them into Names (they say this between the Prince Graveyard and the Trial of Judgement.) Hanno thinks about this in the scene where they reintroduce the Mirror KNight, as the Procerans love him and Hanno wonders what purpose Heaven made his Name for that he would be so crazy strong so fast.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Spoiler: North lll
    Show
    That happened a lot quicker than I expected, but did not feel unearned. I like that the story spends some time exploring the effects of economical ties on societies and cultural identity. Most Fantasy I've read is a lot more static than that.
    The way I see it, the momentum build up to Warlord was independent of Hakram's own path. However, being the Adjutant as part of the Legion culture means that he was also a rising star that could capitalise on this gathering storm, and by virtue of being Named was going to be a pivot in this situation by either backing a claimant or staking a claim himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    I would think that the fact that Named priests are a known quantity, that Procer will have had Named priests. However, the issue is that it's not Proceran Named so much as each region would have it's own Named (EE stated in an AMA that Mirror Knight was a Name that arose against the Wicked Enchanter Named traditionally.). So as I understand it, Lawrence wandering around Procer was an exception to the rule, and perhaps the precursor to other wandering Named types prior to the Cursade bringing them all together.

Then again, CHosen tend to but heads with Proceran Houses of Light, so they may be rarer still. While Callowan Priest Named probably aren't exceptional in this regard because the priests always argue with each other anyways.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: West II
    Show

Honestly, the problem is that while activating the weapon is a horrible thing. Then i cant really see any alternative in Cordelia's shoes.
    When given the choice between a bomb that kills some fraction, 1/2? 1/3?, of your people, and having them all eaten by zombies?
    Yeah.. bombs away.

Also was nice finally having revealed what the weapon is/does. More than just being an angel corpse.
    Its a massive Sa'Angrel (to borrow Wheel of Time terms).
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Show

Honestly, the problem is that while activating the weapon is a horrible thing. Then i cant really see any alternative in Cordelia's shoes.
    When given the choice between a bomb that kills some fraction, 1/2? 1/3?, of your people, and having them all eaten by zombies?
    Yeah.. bombs away.

Also was nice finally having revealed what the weapon is/does. More than just being an angel corpse.
    Its a massive Sa'Angrel (to borrow Wheel of Time terms).
    Show
    I think the ratio might be worse than you are suggesting. But then again, maybe not. Afterall, being a solider is tough in many ways. A peasant farmer has much less opportunity to do stuff that would attract the wrath of Judgement.

I love the separate approaches here though. Hanno goes looking for an ancient power to bargain with and convince to fight for them. Cordelia puts her faith in a superweapon created and controlled by modern mortals.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Show

I think the ratio might be worse than you are suggesting. But then again, maybe not. Afterall, being a solider is tough in many ways. A peasant farmer has much less opportunity to do stuff that would attract the wrath of Judgement.

I love the separate approaches here though. Hanno goes looking for an ancient power to bargain with and convince to fight for them. Cordelia puts her faith in a superweapon created and controlled by modern mortals.
    I if anything think its more likely the ratio would go the other way. I were giving worst case scenarios to showcase just how utterly horrible the alternative to using the weapon was.
    But while the Choir of Justice is utterly merciless, then i dont think they are unfair. I do think it will take a little more than just cheating at cards every friday in the inn to get turned into a pillar of salt.

As for the seperate approaches. I if anything thing its mostly a case of using whatever the heck thats available. Hanno has some rather extreme aversion to desecrating an angel corpse.
    Cordelia meanwhile are used to get her hands far more dirty as a ruler.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

They finally had Frederic and Otto get together! There is two entire time skips from the last time they teased that relationship.

20. - Top - End - #200

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I think 49% is the upper limit. Per Hanno: “If the coin spun for ever soul on Calernia, it would show the laurels more often than not,” the White Knight said. “The circumstances in which it is prone to spinning, however, have favoured the showing of the swords."

I also think it's possible that Bard intends to steal it to blow up Serenity, or whatever the DK named his private hell, to eliminate his power base.

I don't think Hanno went looking for 'ancient power' so much as he went looking for allies using the tools he had. He and Antigone are the only ones who could make this approach. Just like he and Antigone were the primary reason the GA got an interview with the spellsingers who sealed the rifts.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: East III
    Show

Hmm.. i do think this pretty much confirm my earlier theory about Akua ending up in charge of Praes. It seemed obvious after she first spared that guy.
    And expressed having lost faith in the philosophy that ruled the place.

Besides that. Got to say her chapters have become my favorite.
    I do love a redemption arc well done. And i have not seen one this good since Prince Zuko said &%¤ you to his father.
    And i do enjoy the way her good deeds are suddenly starting to haunt her. The way she had to discretely explain to the refugee leader how she healed their kids for political gain.
    As well as the way its the guy she spared, who saves her life with a bit of surgery. Just to keep her alive and suffering.
    Honestly i give it a 50/50 chance he will sacrifice his life to safe Akue at some point.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Akua still confused about what she wants and where she is going.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Which makes her lecture to Jim both more amusing and hypocritical at once.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Jim? The Black Knight?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Nim, Marshall Nim. Stupid auto cauliflower.

26. - Top - End - #206

DwarfClericGuy

Tbh, I found Jim absolutely hilarious and shall henceforth only refer to the black knight as...Jim.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

I feel her rant to Nim Jim was mostly stuff she was thinking about herself. The funny thing is, she seems to be winning through doing 'good' things. Healing people, inspiring people, speaking truthfully.

I got to say, I'm loving both Akua's and Malicia's despair here. Both are all about the consequences of their actions, but from different sides. Akua is almost a hero, or of heroic mindset (I seriously would not be surprised if she got an offer from Mercy or Compassion. Or Contrition I suppose.) While Malicia is pure villain. She is only regretting her actions because it looks like it is going to kill her.

Anyways, I'm expecting Black to shatter Malicia's plan here. All this talking about what's coming to her, and she's completely forgotten about Black. She even mentions a mage killed with legionnaire steel, which I bet was because of Black.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2021-06-18 at 03:12 PM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Akua learning that cold practical actions that give you concrete and immediate returns aren't the only way to live life and doing the right thing for it's own sake can also bring rewards is great.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Akua's ongoing crisis is extremely fun to read. I kinda hope Cat's plan for her blows up at this point and she has to acknowledge that she underestimated Akua, but then, I never really liked the Callowan revenge fetish as a justification anyway.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Akua's ongoing crisis is extremely fun to read
    Akua has been solid gold ever since Cat broke her heart for the second time, and she ran off.

Im quite certain she is going to be pushed into the position of ruler against her wishes.
    Just because its the sort of joke fate enjoys.