New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Abilities that damage the character using them

I have an idea for a build that's going to have massive Fast Healing. So, naturally, I want to damage myself as much as possible to make proper use of it. Seems simple enough, but I'm having trouble finding abilities that deal hp damage to the character that use them (as opposed to ability damage, there's plenty of those).

The best example I've found so far is the Dragonfire Adept's Bahamut and Tiamat breath effects, which deal 2x class level to the DA, or 4x if their alignment doesn't line up.

Hoping people with more experience than me can remember some more options!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Abilities that damage the character using them

Words of Creation deals nonlethal damage with some modes.

Insane Defiance does ability damage; not quite the same thing, but useful if you take a dip into Binder to also get fast ability healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Blade of Blood spell does this. 5 hp damage for +2d6 to your weapon damage. Pretty sure there's a weapon quality or a magic item that does something similar, but I can't remember specifically off the top of my head.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Blood Magus has a few abilities for this. Blood Component and Bloodseeking Spell do 1 and 3 damage respectively, in exchange for +1 to spell DC or +1d6 damage.

If your DM will allow 3.0 material, the Tome and Blood version of Blood Magus could do considerably more damage to itself to substitute blood for costly material components, capping at 23 damage to mimic a component that costs 750 gp or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Blade of Blood spell does this. 5 hp damage for +2d6 to your weapon damage. Pretty sure there's a weapon quality or a magic item that does something similar, but I can't remember specifically off the top of my head.
    Vicious is a special weapon quality - it does +2d6 to your opponent in exchange for 1d6 damage to the wielder. It's a +1 equivalent and can only be applied to melee weapons.
    Last edited by zfs; 2021-03-04 at 08:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The spell you want is Divine Sacrifice, found in Complete Divine and altered in Spell Compendium (a Paladin/Blackguard spell). Once per round you spend up to 10hp for up to +5d6 damage, but SpC decided you have to use it for max and can't choose not to use it.

Divine Sacrifice lasts for multiple rounds with caster level, while Blade of Blood takes a swift action and must be cast every round. On the other hand, Blade of Blood gives you 3d6 for a 1st level spell and 5hp. But you can use them both at the same time. There's also a Paladin (but not Blackgaurd, because the SpC writers are bigger hacks with each closer look) spell Find the Gap, to make your first attack each round a touch attack, making it much easier to land your big sacrificial hit.

Edit: ah, I'd forgot about Vicious ('cause I banned it). Yeah that'll be huge too.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2021-03-04 at 08:54 PM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Overchannel lets you take 1d8/3d8/5d8 damage to boost your manifester level for a power by 1/2/3, but +2ML/3d8 and +3ML/5d8 require you to be 8th level and 15th level, respectively.

If you're immune to stun, Reserves of Strength (Dragonlance Campaign Setting) is like Overchannel but for caster level. It's only 1d6/3d6/5d6 damage, but there's no level requirement for using the +3CL/5d6.

Burning Rage (PHB2) is a 1st level spell that gives you +1 to-hit and +2 damage (both untyped), but you take 4 fire damage per round. (It also gives you DR2 /magic, but that probably won't matter.)

Masochism (Book of Vile Darkness) is a 2nd level spell that doesn't damage you, but, for every 10 damage you take in a round, it gives you a cumulative +1 luck bonus to attack, saves, and skills for the next round.

Edit: Just realized I forgot Shield Other.
    Last edited by Lin; 2021-03-04 at 09:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

For warforged characters, shocking fist is a great ability with unlimited uses per day.

If you take the reserves of strength feat and are immune to stunning, you also take damage.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

For completeness - Crusader's Steely Resolve? True, the damage goes into a delayed pool, but it's still premised on hp damage...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Dance of ruin : 2d20 damage to non demons, centered on the caster. 25’ +5ft per CL spread. Get some d20 reroll effects and get dancin

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Bands of blood rage from MIC give you a +5 bonus to damage, but deal you 5 damage per round.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Frenzied Berserker takes 2 nonlethal damage per round while in a frenzy, and fast healing heals nonlethal in addition to and at the same rate as lethal.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

The empathic transfer psionic power let's you heal someone else by taking half the damage.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    I have an idea for a build that's going to have massive Fast Healing.
    I'm curious, how are you getting massive fast healing? I know one or two things that grant it, but nothing good enough to base a whole build around.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    I'm curious, how are you getting massive fast healing? I know one or two things that grant it, but nothing good enough to base a whole build around.
    It's not actually Fast Healing, just continual negative energy damage + Tomb Tainted Soul. I wanted to avoid the word "regeneration" to avoid confusing people - should've been more clear.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

IIRC warforged can use the Run feat endlessly because they are immune to the damage running too much causes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It's not actually Fast Healing, just continual negative energy damage + Tomb Tainted Soul. I wanted to avoid the word "regeneration" to avoid confusing people - should've been more clear.
    Oh OK, thank you. How are you getting a high level of continuous negative energy damage?

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    Oh OK, thank you. How are you getting a high level of continuous negative energy damage?
    Putting Black Lore of Moil on Necromancy buff spells.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I dont think that black lore of moil will make the buffs deal continuous damage, only one time damage as you gain the buff.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapheap View Post
    I dont think that black lore of moil will make the buffs deal continuous damage, only one time damage as you gain the buff.
    Face/palm. That seems really obvious, in retrospect - I guess I just wanted it to work so I didn't think about it. I still really appreciate all the ideas, though.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

A commonly brought up means of obtaining fast healing with tomb-tainted soul is Black Sand, as the spell of the same name.
    Awards

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Face/palm. That seems really obvious, in retrospect - I guess I just wanted it to work so I didn't think about it. I still really appreciate all the ideas, though.
    You could put the black lore on the skull watch spell, just have a floating skull on a leash that screams at you every 1d4x6 seconds. Hell, it’s a permanent spell, leash a bunch of screaming skulls together. (Take silent spell).

22. - Top - End - #22

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    You could put the black lore on the skull watch spell, just have a floating skull on a leash that screams at you every 1d4x6 seconds. Hell, it’s a permanent spell, leash a bunch of screaming skulls together. (Take silent spell).
    If you don't call the skull Yorik and spend all your time monologuing at it and occasionally screaming at the "ghost" of your dead father (may or may not actually be a ghost there) then you have very different priorities than I do.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you are playing with the Taint subsystem, Maho Tsukai (Oriental Adventures), and Tainted Sorcerer (Unearthed Arcana) take damage instead of using material components (with expensive material components resulting in more damage). Tainted Scholars(Heroes of Horror) can take a point of damage to increase a spell's caster level by one and can also get the ability Bloodseeking Spell which deals 3 damage to inflict an additional +1d6 damage.
    ARRRRGH, I'm a pirate, ninjas are no match for me, Yargh!
    Also this awesome avatar was done by KillItWithFire

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RaiKirah View Post
    If you don't call the skull Yorik and spend all your time monologuing at it and occasionally screaming at the "ghost" of your dead father (may or may not actually be a ghost there) then you have very different priorities than I do.
    You can be more economical by naming the skull Carmine the Bowler and yelling at your dead father who is the skull.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2021-03-06 at 10:37 AM.
    Awards

25. - Top - End - #25

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    You can be more economical by naming the skull Carmine the Bowler and yelling at your dead father who is the skull.
    I like where your head's at :)

If complete sentences are too much, you can PAO it into a volleyball and just scream WILSON!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Lady's gambit from dragon 317? It has as requisite iron will and power attack but once per round as free action one can sacrifice hit points (limit your level) to obtain a bonus to attack roll and attack damage that is half hit points lost
    Finally my computer is without any problem!
    Spoiler: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition Medals
    Show
    Silver medal as Xin in Round XVII
    Gold Medal as Smit in Round XVIII
    Silver Medal as Hit Me In Round XIX
    Gold Medal as The Exiled in Round XIX
    Silver Medal as Elec Tri in Round XX
    Gold Medal as Tawamios in round XXI

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RaiKirah View Post
    I like where your head's at :)

If complete sentences are too much, you can PAO it into a volleyball and just scream WILSON!
    WILSOOOOOOOOOON!! LOL

To answer the OP, Spellfire Channelers have a backfire if they store too many spell levels. Also the Flesh Ring of Scorn (MIC) lets you take damage to automatically confirm your critical threats.