Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Introducing Orcus: a Fourth Edition retro-clone

I would look at changing mounts if you have the energy for it. Adding in some mechanism for the mount to use your health or pokeball back would make them much more common and useful in game. A feat like:

Bounded Mount
    Your mount uses stats like a summon.
    You can spend a healing surge at the end of combat to return your mount to full health.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Thanks folks! First up, I've added the final section of Orcus to Github: Advanced Rules. This includes:

• Advanced Combat and Objects
    • Backgrounds
    • Incantations
    • Bonds (artifacts, group memberships, etc)
    • Traps
    • Poisons and Diseases

PDF and Markdown on Github as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    No worries!

Also, re commander
    "The first time in an encounter that you use a power from either the Angel's Trumpet, the Golden Lion or
    another discipline, you get a bonus. When you use a power from a different discipline, it changes the
    bonus you get - so you always only get one bonus.

Tactician: After using a Golden Lion power, allies that are adjacent to you get a +1 bonus on attack rolls.
    Healer: After using an Angel's Trumpet power, allies that are adjacent to you get resistance to all damage
    2. Level 11: Resistance to all damage 4. Level 21: Resistance to all damage 6.
    Shocktrooper: After using a power from a different discipline, allies that are adjacent to you get a +1
    bonus on Fortitude, Reflex and Will defenses."

Can I suggest instead
    "The first time in an encounter that you use a power, you gain a bonus based on the discipline. Once this bonus is in place, using a different discipline will change which bonus is granted.

Golden Lion:, allies that are adjacent to you get a +1 bonus on attack rolls.
    Angel's Trumpet:, allies that are adjacent to you get resistance to all damage
    2. Level 11: Resistance to all damage 4. Level 21: Resistance to all damage 6.
    Any other discipline, allies that are adjacent to you get a +1
    bonus on Fortitude, Reflex and Will defenses."

A few reasons for the suggested change -
    • I think it's clearer
    • The titles like Shocktrooper may be keywords you want to save to use somewhere else (unless it's important later or get's reused so adds value there). Basic principle of "Don't introduce new terms that don't add meaning"
    • Putting the name of the discipline at the start of the line is probably making it as quick as possible for hte player scanning the rules to see what they need. Either ""I have Angel's Trumpet, what does it do?" or "What's the difference between Golden Lion and Angel's Trumpet?"

Also, for Mageblade, I suggest renaming "Special Bond" to "Key Weapon" for consistency and because (to me) Special Bond is a less appealing name for a power.
    Thanks! I've done both of these.

And maybe to fill in some gaps for you

Divine striker - Inquisitor. You could go 2 weays here - a relativly tough weapons based striker "My god protects me while I Smite their foes" or someone who brings the rains of fire and is probably a skinny ascetic looking type who might be a bit inclined to go off the rails

For your divine defender, I think "Paladin" is the title you're looing for, both from history and D&D

Your divine Controller might be a preist

But if you want to steer clear of real world religious titles then you probably want your strikers to be "Harrier of X" where X is the god's name. Maybe "Warden of X" for the defender and "Speaker for X" as your leader and your controller would then be "Channeler of the will of X"
    I like Harrier, Speaker and Channeler. I also thought Theurge could be good, but might overlap with a Binder-style class.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I would look at changing mounts if you have the energy for it. Adding in some mechanism for the mount to use your health or pokeball back would make them much more common and useful in game. A feat like:

Bounded Mount
    Your mount uses stats like a summon.
    You can spend a healing surge at the end of combat to return your mount to full health.
    Great idea! I've made this an incantation, but same idea!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Can I encourage you try and give each power source a “Scout type” character with stealth and perception. Preferably with either use for Dex and wisdom, or some means to catch up due to lower stats. The reason I suggest that is partly related to a campaign where we only had some power sources in play, but also, it increases the diversity of archetypes. And it’s good to avoid turning all strikers into skirmishers.

I like the idea of a somewhat sneaky defender, so maybe give the Mageblade an invisibility Utility and maybe one to give darkvision and a bonus on perception?

And much the same for a face, ideally with all power sources and all roles represented

You seem to use the word ritual a lot in your description of incantations. Can I suggest either:
    Call them rituals
    Clarify that some incantations involve rituals but others don’t (maybe some involve constructing a device or performing a quest or task or just sitting and praying/meditating?).
    Otherwise, you probably just want to say “Casting an incantation involves a ritual…” and not use that word again.
    It will help with consistent use of terms

Sylvan. Wild Gift. Hunter. Suggested wording “When no ally is closer to an enemy you get +1…”

And some more class suggestions

Arcane leader – Enchanter. Int based leader. Maybe Wisdom if you don’t want arcane=Int based. Probably with some ability to magically boost their social skills or substitute spells for them. Their spells can include protective effects and boost attacks by enchanting weapons. Magic can do anything, but I think your Crusader is a bit defender as a leader and the commander looks very much centered on leadership, so maybe have the Enchanter be a bit controllerish? They could also Strike as much as you want or have powers which lean each way

Arcane striker – Invoker. No Fancy movement, no trickery, not even much in the way of lasting effects. These are the people who walk into a room and blow stuff up. A simple class for simple people. Base it off Con or cha easily, int or wis would be fine as well

Spirit Defender – Something a bit different. Guide. Wisdom based defender. Guides are responsible for making sure their wards get to where they need to be to meet their destiny. As part of meeting that role, they must help to protect their ward.
    Whenever an enemy they’ve marked targets an ally, the Guide can slide the ally 1 square before the attack is rolled.
    Give them powers to re-target attacks, etc. The aesthetic here is someone who has helped their friends be in the right place at the right time to be protected, rather than the normal defender approach of protecting others by putting themselves in the way or by attracting attention

Spirit leader – Guru? Bhagwan? Shaman? Leader who summons spirits into their allies to deliver effects. Healing might give a bonus to AC. Extra attacks might give a bonus to any reaction attacks. Bonus saves might add to NADs. When an ally has a spirit in them, it normally lasts until the start of the target’s next turn.
    If you want to go with a creepy aesthetic, have the summoned spirits take possession of their allies until the start of their turn. Up to tables whether any reactions during that time are rolled by the leader or by the possessee
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

You seem to use the word ritual a lot in your description of incantations. Can I suggest either:
    Call them rituals
    Clarify that some incantations involve rituals but others don’t (maybe some involve constructing a device or performing a quest or task or just sitting and praying/meditating?).
    Otherwise, you probably just want to say “Casting an incantation involves a ritual…” and not use that word again.
    It will help with consistent use of terms

Sylvan. Wild Gift. Hunter. Suggested wording “When no ally is closer to an enemy you get +1…”
    Thank you! I've made these two changes.

Can I encourage you try and give each power source a “Scout type” character with stealth and perception. Preferably with either use for Dex and wisdom, or some means to catch up due to lower stats. The reason I suggest that is partly related to a campaign where we only had some power sources in play, but also, it increases the diversity of archetypes. And it’s good to avoid turning all strikers into skirmishers.

I like the idea of a somewhat sneaky defender, so maybe give the Mageblade an invisibility Utility and maybe one to give darkvision and a bonus on perception?

And much the same for a face, ideally with all power sources and all roles represented

And some more class suggestions

Arcane leader – Enchanter. Int based leader. Maybe Wisdom if you don’t want arcane=Int based. Probably with some ability to magically boost their social skills or substitute spells for them. Their spells can include protective effects and boost attacks by enchanting weapons. Magic can do anything, but I think your Crusader is a bit defender as a leader and the commander looks very much centered on leadership, so maybe have the Enchanter be a bit controllerish? They could also Strike as much as you want or have powers which lean each way

Arcane striker – Invoker. No Fancy movement, no trickery, not even much in the way of lasting effects. These are the people who walk into a room and blow stuff up. A simple class for simple people. Base it off Con or cha easily, int or wis would be fine as well

Spirit Defender – Something a bit different. Guide. Wisdom based defender. Guides are responsible for making sure their wards get to where they need to be to meet their destiny. As part of meeting that role, they must help to protect their ward.
    Whenever an enemy they’ve marked targets an ally, the Guide can slide the ally 1 square before the attack is rolled.
    Give them powers to re-target attacks, etc. The aesthetic here is someone who has helped their friends be in the right place at the right time to be protected, rather than the normal defender approach of protecting others by putting themselves in the way or by attracting attention

Spirit leader – Guru? Bhagwan? Shaman? Leader who summons spirits into their allies to deliver effects. Healing might give a bonus to AC. Extra attacks might give a bonus to any reaction attacks. Bonus saves might add to NADs. When an ally has a spirit in them, it normally lasts until the start of the target’s next turn.
    If you want to go with a creepy aesthetic, have the summoned spirits take possession of their allies until the start of their turn. Up to tables whether any reactions during that time are rolled by the leader or by the possessee
    These are great ideas! I'm not planning to work on any new classes myself, at least in the near future, but if others wanted to develop these I think they'd make a great addition.