New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Fate/Grand Order V - Salty Theoretical Phenomenon

Man those forced party fights in Act 4 are rough.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

I have to say the 'usually there's a reason that someone is female. Right? Right?' line made me laugh. No FGO, there usually isn't a good reason at all, and I feel like you are either trying to gaslight me into thinking there is or poking fun at that idea. Honestly not sure which.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I have to say the 'usually there's a reason that someone is female. Right? Right?' line made me laugh. No FGO, there usually isn't a good reason at all, and I feel like you are either trying to gaslight me into thinking there is or poking fun at that idea. Honestly not sure which.
    I mean, most of the time there is a reason based on what we know from history or something from some legend. Not all the time but most of the time. And the reason isn't always good, but it's there.

Like nero is probably because of the time he dressed as a bride, and kagetora has to do with some ambiguity as to their real historical gender. For Arthur you got me....

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    I mean, most of the time there is a reason based on what we know from history or something from some legend. Not all the time but most of the time. And the reason isn't always good, but it's there.

Like nero is probably because of the time he dressed as a bride, and kagetora has to do with some ambiguity as to their real historical gender. For Arthur you got me....
    I mean Atilla is so far off from Atilla the Hun that it's actually kinda insulting. Sir Francis Drake who was actually apparently a E-cup with her cleavage showing. Oda Nobunaga, Paul Bunyun, Jack the Ripper, all are female for no real reason.

but seriously. Atilla is offensively bad. The real Atilla was a mighty king and conqueror, FGO Atilla is a half naked anime girl who doesn't know how to emote.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

I mean Atilla is so far off from Atilla the Hun that it's actually kinda insulting. Sir Francis Drake who was actually apparently a E-cup with her cleavage showing. Oda Nobunaga, Paul Bunyun, Jack the Ripper, all are female for no real reason.

but seriously. Atilla is offensively bad. The real Atilla was a mighty king and conqueror, FGO Atilla is a half naked anime girl who doesn't know how to emote.
    This is all very fair... Especially atilla. I would argue that jack makes sense because until somewhat recently thier real world identity was very unknown. And they have really deep lore explaining some things.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

6. - Top - End - #756
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Jack the Ripper actually appears in one of the other Fate works, Fate Strange/Fake, and there Jack is a guy. Still a kid, but a boy at least. And both works that have used Jack the Ripper outside of FGO do give a reason for the whole Who Was Jack the Ripper, and the one with girl Jack(Fate/Apocrypha) basically goes the spooky path and says "this is actually the ghost of dead children, as the Ripper deaths were just London being a nasty place for street kids to live, and people would rather believe there was a murderer then kids were dying due to society". The girl who appears as Jack was just one kid who died, and even in her origin work, they showed she could have appeared as any number of children. There is no excuse for the outfit though, that thing is just the worst.

Atilla first appeared in Extella, the Dynasty Warriors clone game, and there at least the story treated her as the herald of the end of the world, there to wipe out all civilization. So while she was still half naked, and didn't emote well, she still was treated as a serious threat. I haven't played all the way through the game, only the first route so far, so I don't know if they ever give even half a statement on why the swap.

The problem with this sometimes is FGO is a crossover game, and the reasons for the gender swaps is given in the origin stories. Drake, Oda, Atilla, Bunyan, and Jack are all from outside FGO and I'm guessing at least some of those works give some kind of excuse. Now, the excuse is often bad, like "its a gag comic, lets swap their gender for a joke", but they usually try to pay a tiny lip service to an excuse.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    The problem with this sometimes is FGO is a crossover game, and the reasons for the gender swaps is given in the origin stories. Drake, Oda, Atilla, Bunyan, and Jack are all from outside FGO and I'm guessing at least some of those works give some kind of excuse. Now, the excuse is often bad, like "its a gag comic, lets swap their gender for a joke", but they usually try to pay a tiny lip service to an excuse.
    I mean, if I had one Saint Quartz for every time I've seen some version of "it's best if you don't think too hard about this" literally written in the profiles of Servants, I'd probably be able to NP5 an SSR of my choice. They might make a token effort at justifying the gender swap in some of the source material, but it's fairly obvious that they do these things just to do them and add more T&A to the franchise.

Honestly though, I'm more bothered by the fact that Bunyan is child-sized than that she's inexplicably a young girl. Like, the entire point of Paul Bunyan is to be a giant, so she should be at least as big as Kingprotea, not just during her NP but all of the time. Even if that just means her sprite is a giant pair of boots and you never see the rest of the body except during her NP, it'd still be an improvement over just being a tiny girl with an axe.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

8. - Top - End - #758

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Honestly though, I'm more bothered by the fact that Bunyan is child-sized than that she's inexplicably a young girl. Like, the entire point of Paul Bunyan is to be a giant, so she should be at least as big as Kingprotea, not just during her NP but all of the time. Even if that just means her sprite is a giant pair of boots and you never see the rest of the body except during her NP, it'd still be an improvement over just being a tiny girl with an axe.
    Yeah, that one is weird, as even in her origin Gag Comic, which is a Gag Comic of FGO itself, Bunyan is at least as big as a house. The closest they have to excusing this is the one event were she appeared in game, they basically said "since shes a myth, with no actual measurements, she can shift her size as needed". But even the dialogue in game acts like shes house sized at bare minimum. Its only when battle starts that the game depicts her as normal girl size. Its sort of a weird game mechanics only issue, not reflected in dialogue at all.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    This is all very fair... Especially atilla. I would argue that jack makes sense because until somewhat recently thier real world identity was very unknown. And they have really deep lore explaining some things.
    I mean, a kid sure. Female even, sure. Looking like that though...

Jack the Ripper actually appears in one of the other Fate works, Fate Strange/Fake, and there Jack is a guy. Still a kid, but a boy at least. And both works that have used Jack the Ripper outside of FGO do give a reason for the whole Who Was Jack the Ripper, and the one with girl Jack(Fate/Apocrypha) basically goes the spooky path and says "this is actually the ghost of dead children, as the Ripper deaths were just London being a nasty place for street kids to live, and people would rather believe there was a murderer then kids were dying due to society". The girl who appears as Jack was just one kid who died, and even in her origin work, they showed she could have appeared as any number of children. There is no excuse for the outfit though, that thing is just the worst.

Atilla first appeared in Extella, the Dynasty Warriors clone game, and there at least the story treated her as the herald of the end of the world, there to wipe out all civilization. So while she was still half naked, and didn't emote well, she still was treated as a serious threat. I haven't played all the way through the game, only the first route so far, so I don't know if they ever give even half a statement on why the swap.

I was going to say! Honestly, most of the genderbending I don't mind. I'm certainly calling them out for pretending there is an explanation for it though.

That interpretation of Atilla is still really insulting. If anything that makes it worse. The dude was a leader who ruled a kingdom and people. Reducing him to a savage who is out to destroy the world is pretty bad, making him a half naked anime girl makes me ask the question of how is this is any way supposed to be Atilla the Hun? I mean, one of the most famous things about him was how people would pay him tribute to not attack them, and how that would actually work to maintain peace.

A crossover game made by the same company though. They don't get a pass just because they did the genderbending in an earlier work.

I agree, but that one doesn't bother me as much since outside of battle she's apparently always giant sized. In all the cut scenes and junk.

Yeah, that one is weird, as even in her origin Gag Comic, which is a Gag Comic of FGO itself, Bunyan is at least as big as a house. The closest they have to excusing this is the one event were she appeared in game, they basically said "since shes a myth, with no actual measurements, she can shift her size as needed". But even the dialogue in game acts like shes house sized at bare minimum. Its only when battle starts that the game depicts her as normal girl size. Its sort of a weird game mechanics only issue, not reflected in dialogue at all.
    Exactly. It's really weird that they don't just have her be like Kingprotea sized, but it is a game only issue with the story never treating her as tiny.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, a kid sure. Female even, sure. Looking like that though...
    We've been asking to give her pants forever at least. I leave her in her first ascension for a reason.

I was going to say! Honestly, most of the genderbending I don't mind. I'm certainly calling them out for pretending there is an explanation for it though.

That interpretation of Atilla is still really insulting. If anything that makes it worse. The dude was a leader who ruled a kingdom and people. Reducing him to a savage who is out to destroy the world is pretty bad, making him a half naked anime girl makes me ask the question of how is this is any way supposed to be Atilla the Hun? I mean, one of the most famous things about him was how people would pay him tribute to not attack them, and how that would actually work to maintain peace.

A crossover game made by the same company though. They don't get a pass just because they did the genderbending in an earlier work.
    The whole deal with Atilla/Altera is fairly complicated in Extella, and a good portion of the same background exists in FGO given some revelations we get in Olympus. 'Altera' has a story that leads into being 'Atilla the Hun', but only because they wanted their Extella 'Original Character' to also be a historical figure because that's the whole conceit of Fate.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Is anyone else just really struggling with motivation in this game lately? My account is pretty good, and I know the relative drought in interesting content lately is just a delayed effect of the shutdown in 2020, but I'm just... really bored with the game at the moment. Logging in feels like a chore, the event isn't grabbing my attention at all, and it feels like there's no meaningful or interesting goals for me to strive for at the moment.

I've been able to brute force my way through most content lately with Space Ishtar + double Castoria, but while that's made farming much faster it's also become somehow even more tedious than before, since I'm using fewer different servants than ever. But at the same time, deliberately using a less effective setup just for the sake of variety isn't an appealing thought either.

Just wondering if this is a common problem right now or if it's just me running out of motivation.
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I think it's normal to lose motivation after a while of playing every single day. I actually quit the game myself because I realized that I just didn't enjoy the commitment the game required. It was too much. Too much effort to level characters, too much effort to gain quartz, too much effort to do the same grind every day, too much effort to farm stuff during events... There are too many different mats, each of them impossible to gain in high numbers, leveling costs too much, QP is always too low, there are always more and more servants to roll for...

The fun of the grind is gone and there's just nothing to really enjoy outside of that. I highly suggest reducing your game time. Maybe even stopping entirely.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Firbolg in the Playground

E plubis urnum was the beginning of my loss of interest but i finally lost all interest part way into camelot. Been back once or twice to roll for servants who have shown up but now i think the next one of interest isn't till New years or later and even then I'm not really enthused to play and update for just that because if im to progress im have to play thru this morass of a story to get anywhere.
    Last edited by Leon; 2022-11-08 at 06:33 PM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

14. - Top - End - #764
    Troll in the Playground

I've also been having trouble recently. Part of the issue is personal, some changes in my living situation that upended the habits I had playing the game (I used to play mostly in bed, an hour or so before going to sleep, which is no longer a real option). Part of it is a lack of particular goals in-game to strive for; the story is still good, but at the current point I'm extremely satisfied with my roster (things I'm not good at? Farming Riders and Lancers, if Spish and Castoria can't handle it) so it's hard to motivate myself to keep grinding for things. I've got the mats I need for the characters I want, I've already levelled all the characters I have and like, my roster has all the tools I need to beat the toughest bosses currently in the game. All that's left is the story. Events are painfully dull these days; just set up a Castoria or Skadi loop and snooze away all my AP. This one seemed to have a good story, but the mechanics are so dreadfully dull (the scanner thing is just awful) and the grinding so poor that I just can't get into it.

I'm on the edge of just giving up on the events, except maybe enough to level up any new Servants I pick up that I really like, and just do the story as it comes out. There are some events I'd have been really sad to miss (Luluhawa, Vegas, really the summer/GUDAGUDA events in general), but something like two events in three have throwaway stories and no characters I really care about.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

15. - Top - End - #765

NecromancerGirl

This past event was super tedious, lost interest for a while in the mid part, barely squeezed out the event in the last bit. I'm currently trying to juggle 4 different mobile games. Though one is on the verge of being dropped, that being Blue Archive. Another I'm still early in, but losing feeling for as everyone says "it has great story" but when I can never finish any of the side stories, and the main story has all the good farming nodes early on, I'm not seeing it. That one being Arknights. I'm still playing Azur Lane daily, but its a very low effort game. Meanwhile I still feel like I'm into FGO for the long haul, but that might just be because I have been playing from launch, and I got that sunk cost. I'm still enjoying the story when it happens, and even the event's stories amuse me, so nothing there driving me away. Still have goals for the next year or so, so I will stick with it.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually failed to complete this event, which is the first time I can remember that happening since maybe the very first event after I started the game. I'm annoyed because I didn't enjoy this event at all, and since I failed to get the grail I feel like I suffered through it for no reason.

I know there were a couple days where I was barely able to play (as in, log in once, drop my AP really quickly, and that was it) but usually the events are long enough where you can afford to do that a couple times and still have time to progress. But with having to stop and grind materials just to do the obnoxious sonar scans in order to accumulate enough points to unlock the next story mission, I just didn't have enough time.

I didn't think it was possible that I'd enjoy this event even less than the tedious board game event from earlier this year, but at least I was able to finish that one.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

I actually failed to complete this event, which is the first time I can remember that happening since maybe the very first event after I started the game. I'm annoyed because I didn't enjoy this event at all, and since I failed to get the grail I feel like I suffered through it for no reason.

I know there were a couple days where I was barely able to play (as in, log in once, drop my AP really quickly, and that was it) but usually the events are long enough where you can afford to do that a couple times and still have time to progress. But with having to stop and grind materials just to do the obnoxious sonar scans in order to accumulate enough points to unlock the next story mission, I just didn't have enough time.

I didn't think it was possible that I'd enjoy this event even less than the tedious board game event from earlier this year, but at least I was able to finish that one.
    I also didn't finish this event, which I'm sad about because I was actually enjoying it. Part of it was just being busy, but also was the fact that the scanning materials did not drop in anything resembling appropriate quantities. Like I'd do a grind quest and get something like 8. When a scan used 5.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

I also didn't finish this event, which I'm sad about because I was actually enjoying it. Part of it was just being busy, but also was the fact that the scanning materials did not drop in anything resembling appropriate quantities. Like I'd do a grind quest and get something like 8. When a scan used 5.
    This one seemed to be balanced around exclusively using Servants that boosted the scanning material drop rate to have anything resembling fun. With six such Servants you'd usually get something like 30 of one material and 20 of another, at least from the nodes I farmed a reasonable amount. Problem was... Well, that hamstrings team composition, for one thing, and for another even 50 total scanning material wasn't a lot when a scan used 15 (usually 10 of one and 5 of another).

Before I gave up on it I had run farming nodes 30ish times, and that was enough to get through the first map and most of the second... Out of five... With every map getting bigger and more complicated than the last. From what I've read optimal scanning takes about 250 total scans to finish the map, or just shy of 150 to finish the event. That's somewhere in the vicinity of 90 farming nodes, even with six event Servants. Play with three event Servants and three normals? 120 farming nodes, instantly. Playing optimally.

Needless to say, I'm not regretting leaving this one aside. Story was good. No desire to do the mechanics.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I have to agree. The event would probably have been fine if it hadn't been such a pain in the butt to farm materials to perform the scans. I mean, you'd still have the problem of excessive support-only story battles (which seriously should be limited to like 1 or 2 per event at most), and a few stupid gimmick battles like that one where the enemy got stackable guts every single turn.

But even with those other problems, it would've been tolerable if they just didn't make it such a pain to farm the scanning materials... or at least made it so that the shop CE also boosted drops for that.