New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Alchemyst (3.5 PEACH)

The Alchemyst
    Spoiler: An Alchemyst at Work -- by Yavuz Karaca
    Show

Info: The Alchemyst is a user of Alchemy and Alchemical items, who can also effectively leverage their abilities in a fight. The Alchemyst is only an 11 level class, to reflect the falling off of alchemical items at higher levels. This may be tweaked in the future.

Characteristics: The class focuses on crafting and throwing alchemical debuffs, attempting to lock down targets and areas.

Alignment: An Alchemyst can be any alignment, though the most common alignment is Neutral.

Religion: Alchemyst do not have a tendency to worship gods. If they do worship though it is usually a god of science or alchemy.

Background: Alchemysts come from all walks of life, but were often taught in apprenticeships or at Academies specialized in the class.

Other Classes: Alchemysts tend to be loners, but tend to work well with other intellectual classes.

Role: The role that an Alchemyst should play is a debuffer. Using his massive amounts of penalties and abilities an Alchemyst can quickly wear down and disorient an opponent, though they rarely have the raw firepower to kill them outright.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
    Alchemysts have the following game statistics.
    Abilities: Intelligence is the most important ability for an Alchemyst because it affects their save dc's and other class abilities. Dexterity is also important to hit with ranged touch attacks.

Goals: I wanted to make a tier 3-4 class that focused on alchemy. Please provide any feedback that comes to mind!

Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: d8
    Starting Age: As sorcerer.
    Starting Gold: As cleric

Class Skills
    The Alchemyst’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (All Taken Individually) (Int), Disguise (Cha), Knowledge (All Taken Individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis),

Skill Points at First Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Alchemyst

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st +0 +2 +0 +2 Personal Concoctions
    2nd +1 +3 +0 +3 Fast Crafting
    3rd +2 +3 +1 +3 Powerful Brews
    4th +3 +4 +1 +4 Improved Alchemyst's Fire
    5th +3 +4 +1 +4 Poison Use
    6th +4 +5 +2 +5 Stacked Palms
    7th +5 +5 +2 +5 On the Fly Crafting
    8th +6/+1 +6 +2 +6 Improved Fyre
    9th +6/+1 +6 +3 +6 Toxic After Effects
    10th +7/+2 +7 +3 +7 Delayed Activation
    11th +8/+3 +7 +3 +7 Stacked Palms

Personal Concoctions (EX): An Alchemyst can brew some concoctions extremely quickly at the cost of stability. An Alchemyst can take a 5x reduction in crafting time and base cost for any Craft(Alchemy) or Craft(Poison) check, but she is the only person able to use these compounds. Anyone else trying to use them will cause them to harmlessly decompose. An Alchemyst also begins the game with 100 gp worth of Alchemical items that she can already craft.

Fast Crafting (EX): Even when creating mass-market items, an Alchemyst excels. Halve the crafting time and base cost for any Craft(Alchemy) or Craft (Poison) checks. This stacks with Personal Concoctions.

Powerful Brews (EX): An Alchemyst can brew some concoctions very powerfully. The Alchemyst may either double the area of the effect (if applicable) or increase the DC of their created concoctions by 1/3 their Alchemyst level.

Poison Use (EX): An Alchemyst often dabbles in poisonous compounds. At 5th level the Alchemist becomes immune to poisons.

Improved Fyre (EX): At 4th level and every 4 levels beyond, Alchemist's Fire created by an Alchemyst deals an additional 1d6 points of either acid or fire damage (chosen by the Alchemyst at the time of creation).

At 8th level, this ability improves -- The Alchemyst may also deal cold damage now.

Stacked Palms (EX): At 7th level, an Alchemyst becomes able to make a special attack roll as a swift action. This may only be used to throw an alchemical item.

At 11th level, this ability improves. An Alchemyst becomes able to throw two alchemical items with one attack roll. These items must be the same item, and use the same attack roll.

On the Fly (EX): An Alchemyst can finish a concoction they had half-way complete. 1/day an Alchemyst can choose a single concoction to add to their character sheet. This is a move action. The normal cost still has to be paid.

Toxic Recoil (EX): An Alchemyst can infuse their compounds with a variety of effects based on the exact composition. Once per round they may announce that a potion's effects may cause aftereffects, which may be chosen from the following list: Fatigued, Confused, Nauseated. This takes effect at the start of the affected creature's turn. A save against the initial effect also saves against the final effect.

Delayed Activation (EX): The Alchemyst can delay the activation of up to 1 concoction per Int Modifier. They may activate a single concoction at a later time as an immediate action.

Useful Notes and Links:
    Many people have noted that given the scant support for alchemy it would be helpful to include some resources for the casual gamer. Here is a list of useful links that might be helpful for creating the character.

Link to a master list with many alchemical items.
    Last edited by Demidos; 2021-03-20 at 04:20 PM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

smile Re: The Alchemyst (3.5 PEACH)

I really like this idea seeing as I've been trying to make a character that works perfectly into this build!

I'll leave my own suggestions to this class:

At first level: The Alchemyst should get Brew Potion as a sort of bonus feat. It would be cool if we could expand the Alchemyst's niche just a little bit to include buffing his teammates as well (more effective at early levels)

Maybe there should be more incentive to be an Alchemyst for making potions rather than being a wizard and making potions. I think this would be cool because Wizards will have access to all of those wizard spells and also be able to brew a potion, so I think the Alchemyst slowly making his potions stronger would be great! Maybe this could show up as in certain potions your effectiveness with them increases over time. As a possibility see below:
    First level: You get a +1 to healing potions made.
    It's for your own good (1st level ability): You can splash your allies with a ranged touch attack with a helpful potion. (Maybe cure light wounds for instance)
    Third Level: Your ability increasing potions (like bull's strength) increase to 1.5 their original quantity
    Fourth Level: Your potion duration doubles.

I really like this character concept build, however, I'm sure me and a lot of other people don't know about many cool alchemical items that we could involve in-game. Maybe some sort of link to these alchemical items would be nice.