New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: School of the Artful Psion [IC]

Michael pauses to think. "Three or four months, probably. More if we convince them to slow down their outside usage of their talent, but that would make us have to point to a problem or issue with you all having gone through Threshold, and I'm not certain what we could use an an excuse if we're not going to point out your altered powerset."

"And likely a dozen students or more. You all were the first, but once people know they'll be OK mentally, I can foresee a lot of students pushing harder." Aurity adds.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Mads is stunned at the chaos and strive the conversation were devolving into. This was not the kind of calm negotiation he had been expecting. The outburst from Trina particularly caught him off guard. He didn't have his old power to help him find the right words but perhaps he could use some of his new powers to reach an understanding.

He focuses for a second and opens his mind to the emotional radiation coming from each of the people in the room, hoping to better undstand where they are coming from.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mads uses empathy, expending his focus to not use power points, in order to read the emotions of everyone in the room. He's particularly interested in what's happening in the teachers.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Mads
    Show

Frustration mainly. A general sense of cooperation still, but lots of frustration. Trepidation and curiosity from Michael, tiredness from Trina and to a lesser extend Aurity. Interestingly a good bit of hope from Hank.

Players can answer as they feel.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Vincent holds out his hand, "I think I should be able to read powers, I want to see who it works on, just the New-post Threshold group, the Classic edition, or people Pre-Threshold. I need someone to test it on though."
    Vincent is feeling overwhelming {Excitement} at the prospect of being able to save people. That's all he ever wanted here.
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2021-03-08 at 11:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

"I was talking about the school being self-reliant but global moving past basic necessities sounds like a goal I can support. So you would not have any issues with project that tries to produce cheap things for people at large?" He says to Iran.

He disgrees with Trina on almost everything she said but with the frustration in the air this does not seem like a good time to discuss or give suggestions. Instead he says: "I'm sorry for your loss. " He pauses to emphasize his point and then asks: "Do you not want me to include Aurity in any plans or are you just stressing how important it is that we keep our capabilties hidden?"

"I think I can find quite a number of ways to be useful," he addresses Hank with a reassuring smile.

{[Tenttive Respect][Curiosity] What do you want to save everone from?} he asks Vincent.

He listens closely to Benjy's questions. Those were important questions. Once the topic of telepathy comes up he ping in {[I'm the center of the telepathy cluster]}

Spoiler: Mila
    Show
    {What about it do you not trust?} Mads privately sends to Mila {I imagine that we'll need someone to protect us sometime down the road and that might be you?}

{[Excitement] I think I can sense something of the powers in the telepathic range. Would anyone be okay with me trying to make contact?} he asks the general cluster.

He is surprised when he feels the mental prod of participating in another cluster but quickly accept. {[Excitement] Do you think we can chain these?}
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-03-08 at 08:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: All, but especially Vincent
    Show

As far as anyone is concerned, you're all humans. Elan isn't a word.

Also, Iran not Ivan. Or Michael if you want to use his first name.

"That is what I sold funding this school on in general, was teaching you all the ability to create at least raw materials by breaking the Second Law of Thermodynamics." Michael chuckles. "If we slow down the other students though, you're going to want to be exceptionally sly about it, or outright blatant to keep everyone safe if all of your other powers are discovered."

"Include me in your thoughts, just do not bandy about what I could do please." Aurity answers for herself. She holds out her hand to Vincent.

Don't be stupid.

7. - Top - End - #37

Planetar

(d20+8)[21]
    (d20+8)[21]
    (d20+8)[25]
    Vincent will try three times to contact her repertoire, just to be sure. "If this works I should be able to see your power and possibly even borrow it for a moment. It was sort of baked into the instructions for one of my powers so this is my first time trying it."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Vincent, are you pulling her into your collective to use via telepathy, or trying to manifest another's unknown powers?

Please be more specific on actions, especially when you have multiple options.

Don't be stupid.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Kirby

[Anxiety, tightly clamped down.] Kirby watches the goings on, striving to understand the various threads of conversation.

"With all due respect, Mads, before we start mass producing anything, we'd do well to learn from some of the missteps from nuclear and fossil fuels. Have an understanding of what the waste products will be, and what their effects are. I mean, for all we know, exposure to this stuff causes cancer, right?"

To illustrate what brainstuff she was referring to, Kirby created a large ectoplasmic cigar, twirled it in her fingers, and then allowed it to dissolve again. She turned to their teachers.

"If we haven't already looked into side effects with some of those institutes you took money from, now might be a great time to get them working on some samples."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #40

Planetar

Spoiler: spoiler
    Show
    manifest from another's powers known, the first bit is contacting the repertoire, second bit is understanding the chosen power, third is attempting to manifest it. He is only trying the first bit right now. If he had done it through Telepathy he wouldn't need to touch. I assumed she was speaking metaphorically about bringing her into your thoughts, since no one has mentioned the telepathy out loud yet. I was being brief because I have no idea if it is going to succeed.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Bad reading of Telepathy, sorry. I thought it allowed you to bypass step 1.

Interestingly to Vincent, Aurity appear to have no powers to address. In what you would consider the least of powers there appears to be an almost empty framework of a single talent, but not filled in. There does feel like Aurity does have power, just not something you are currently capable of addressing.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2021-03-09 at 04:17 PM.

Don't be stupid.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Kirby
    "If we haven't already looked into side effects with some of those institutes you took money from, now might be a great time to get them working on some samples."
    "My creations were severely tested before we were given funding. Oil is capable of being refined into gasoline, and if I wanted to do nothing but generate carbon nanotubes for about twenty six years straight I could generate enough material for someone to build a space elevator. If you're curious, it took me four months of dedicated study and testing to understand the molecular structure well enough for that." Iran smiles as a small bit of ecto forms in his hand, evaporating to leave a small amount of the structure in it's place.

Don't be stupid.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Mads sends Aurity a thankful smile and says: "I promise I won't blab."

Mads waves dismissively at Kirby: "Please, give me a little credit. It'll of course be tested before we start feeding people ectoplasm."

Assuming Vincent makes a reaction to indicate that he finds nothing, Mads will suggest that they try with each other.

At Michael's reply Mads asks for more information: "Has your power been tested for consumption as well or just proximity?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

"Since Threshold, I can manage carbon but nothing living or edible.". Michael says. "If you have stronger, it will need to be tested."

Spoiler
    Show
    trinket is non living only

Don't be stupid.

15. - Top - End - #45

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Interestingly to Vincent, Aurity appear to have no powers to address. In what you would consider the least of powers there appears to be an almost empty framework of a single talent, but not filled in. There does feel like Aurity does have power, just not something you are currently capable of addressing.
    Vincent frowned and released Aurity's hand, thoroughly perplexed, "Well I didn't expect that to happen, I accessed it, but your power is too complicated for me to understand for some reason. Like it takes more energy than I can use now."
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2021-03-09 at 06:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Aurity frowns as well. "It doesn't cost me anything but focus though? Interesting."

Don't be stupid.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

'Only carbon?,' Mads reflects, surprised by hearing that. "And here I thought that the power I felt was identical to yours? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding the information."

He moves on to experimentation and graps a few cups from the tray, with the intend of testing the power he thought he had inhereted from Iran. Before he begins he checks in with the group (and esp. Kirby) if they think it's safe enough to summon a few non-permanent things.

If nobody objects he starts trying to summon a material in each of the cups. He attempts to summon a regular strawberry, a frozen strawberry, the charred remnants of a burned strawberry, an ice cube, a cube of frozen pop, a small piece of electronic cable, a sugary chewing gum, an iron bullet, and a wooden arrowhead.

Show
    Manifesting Ectoplasmic Trinket without Eternal Ecto. Expending own psionic focusnd taking time in between each summon to psionically focus himself. I'm testing what counts as 'living' for the power since when I looked it up there didn't seem to be a clear biological definition. If anything is too expensive to be summoned he'll just summon less of it.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-03-10 at 09:34 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    basically anything with cells is a living item, even if they're dead cells ie: steak.

Also, no craft check for the cable so it's a dud.

https://byjus.com/biology/living-and-non-living-things/

You find strawberries of any kind are unreachable, though ice and the bullet are fine. The wooden arrowhead doesn't appear.

The electronic cable appears, though looking at it it's probably not usable.

Don't be stupid.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Kirby moves closer, clearly interested in the results of Mads' experimentation.

"That is reassuring, Iran. Thank you."

She grabs a few more cups.

"Would you mind if I joined in?"

She attempts to fill cups with water, gasoline, and wine. Then, cupping her hands together, she tries to place in them a VERY small quantity of white phosphorus.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

"By all means, I think we'll have to put a lot of work into finding the limits," he follows along what Kirby is doing. "So what are you testing? I tested strawberry, frozen strawberry and charred strawberry, and given how none of those works I'm leaning towards that we're unable to produce anything that contains or once containd cells. Iron, electrical components, and water seems good."

He'll try some animal produced things, specifically milk, sugar, and honey.

He'll also try to see if he can create raw nutrients, i.e. proteins and vitamins. He'll refer to a vitamin supplemant somewhere online since he doesn't personally know what those do. He'll also say what he's going to do in case any of the surrounding people have any relevant knowledge.

Show
    I can't access that link. It seems to be banned in EU for not following the
    Data Protection Regulations
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-03-10 at 03:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Kirby doesn't look up.

"I'm checking on the limits of organic and inorganic chemistry. You've shown that it can make plastics. I'm trying gasoline, wine and phosphorus. Don't get too close."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: o_O
    Show
    Normally, I just have to outthink or outwit my players. You guys are going to make me have to outsmart you, aren't you? I don't want a PhD in player mechanics!

The teachers are all amused as you begin testing different things, because what good teacher doesn't encourage experimentation.

"I can do more than just carbon, Mr. Vinter, but esoteric research wasn't extremely high on my list. More spending enough time figuring out originally how to deal with the world and then how to best position myself for helping others." Michael smiles. "Of my talent pre-Threshold, I recall having a lot less limits. Granted, I hadn't understood how to make them permanent. Figuring that out is what actually pushed me into Threshold."

Direct animal products and byproducts are a probably semi-disappointing no, while Dr. Vincent Roth can probably describe a vitamin supplement well enough that Mads can create one of those, although fish oil supplements aren't.

Gasoline and wine are fine, but everyone backs up when Kirby mentions attempting white phosphorus. Which is all too possible, given the small white marble than ends up in her hands. Thankfully in the air-conditioned room the material doesn't seem to immediately want to ignite.

Don't be stupid.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Mads nods thoughtfully at the results and at Michaels reasoning.

"Yes yes. It looks like we can create sugar for energy and we can create all of the relevant vitamins and minerals. We'd need to think of a way to keep people full and to test to make sure it's safe."

When Kirby starts creating volatile chemical components he comments: "Just let's make a rule that we don't create enriched uranium or such at the dinner table yet?"

As he says that he turns to Iran "While I am deeply grateful for you sharing this gift with it, do you think you could find a way of only sharing a more limited version with future students? I worry if it can create truely dangerous compounds such as antimatter and what happens if that falls into the wrong groups hands. I don't really want to test it but I worry about the possibility."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

"One, this is a more limited version than what I was originally able to do. Two, it's not as if I can teach you anything other than my own talent. And three, what makes you all more deserving than anyone else? I understand risk, but it would not be any different than the risk you all would represent. If you want a more limited version taught, perhaps you'll join the school as staff?"

Hank is looking over the created items, and laughs at the gas. "Maybe good for a lawnmower."

Don't be stupid.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    When Kirby starts creating volatile chemical components he comments: "Just let's make a rule that we don't create enriched uranium or such at the dinner table yet?"
    Kirby nods without making eye contact, and makes all of her samples vanish.

"So, complex carbon molecules are possible, if difficult to get right. And the phosphorus was exactly to find out whether unstable and reactive materials are possible. Which is indeed a concern. And to be clear, I also vote no to U-235, enriched or otherwise. With everything we're putting our bodies through, we don't need to do anything more to increase the energy bombardment of our cells."

26. - Top - End - #56

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    Assuming Vincent makes a reaction to indicate that he finds nothing, Mads will suggest that they try with each other.
    Vincent reaches for Mads' hand then stops, reaching out with his mind instead, He takes as much time as necessary to read Mads, "Well that's an odd feeling. At least I can see Mads' powers, even if I can't access most of them."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benoojian View Post
    Vincent reaches for Mads' hand then stops, reaching out with his mind instead, He takes as much time as necessary to read Mads, "Well that's an odd feeling. At least I can see Mads' powers, even if I can't access most of them."
    "Did you only want to hold my hand and not need to?". Aurity says in a teasing tone to Vincent.

Don't be stupid.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Kirby takes a deep breath.

"Well, whatever we are now, I don't think we need to be here. Hospital's not going to help us, and we're taking up valuable space. Should we head back to the school? The others are going to want to know how this went."

29. - Top - End - #59

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    "Did you only want to hold my hand and not need to?". Aurity says in a teasing tone to Vincent.
    "I had two ways to do it, had to test both. Was it so awful?" Vincent resets his collective, adding Aurity this time and trying to connect to her powers once again, with likely the same results no matter how long he tried it for. He wasn't sending communication over the link but Aurity could easily find the Telepathy if she thought too hard or someone else sent something.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Mads falls into silence hearing Iran's rebuttle. "I don't think we're more deserving. I think that you're taking a huge risk by teaching us your power though I understand the benefits of having a large group of people able to make things at will. I just wonder whether it's possible to limit it somehow. And you know being on the teacher staff might actually be good idea. You are all many times my seniors and have many more lifetimes of experience with psionics but it's possible that my power set is particularly well suited for teaching. What's your process of hiring teachers?"

"That's weird. I can sense your powers and I can use some of them," to demonstrate he draws from Vincents power to cast detect psionics, for which onlookers can just see the usual sign of power manifestation but not visible effect of the power. "I think there's others that I can make contact to but I would need to be particularly focused on them, would you be open to trying to meditate together tonight?" {[Excitement] CAN YOU MAKE ROBOTS?}, the last bit is send to vincent privately.

"Sure," he answers Kirby. "Also, this connection thing seems really important. Would you mind if I made contact with you to see if I can use or see your powers?" He'll also ask the same of the teachers, and he'll create connections by inviting them to his collective.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-03-12 at 05:15 AM.