New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Good Science Fiction About Asteroids?

Apart from the classic Rendezvous with Rama, what other novels or stories deal primarily with asteroids? I know Larry Niven had some interesting ideas, looking for anything else along those lines.

I’m aware of two movies that came out in 1998, and of course The Expanse, but for my purposes I’m interested in written fiction only. Beyond Niven, I can’t think of much offhand, but there must be a lot more out there.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Good Science Fiction About Asteroids?

Ben Bova's The Rock Rats trilogy, maybe.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I suggest reading the script to Michael Bay's Armageddon. You can find it here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

By asteroids, do you mean specifically the kind that stay in space? Or are you also including variants like meteor(ite)s and comets?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Eon - Greg Bear.
    Set in 2005, when the U.S. and Soviet Union are on the verge of nuclear war. A 290 km asteroid is detected, following an anomalous and very powerful energy burst just outside the solar system. The asteroid moves into a highly eccentric Near-Earth orbit, and the two nations each try to claim this mysterious object.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Heart of the Comet, a 1986 novel by Gregory Benford and David Brin, is about a micro-colonization effort on Halley's Comet.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

7. - Top - End - #7

Sort of "Pushing Ice" by Alastair Reynolds. It starts out being about a crew of asteroid miners, but quickly goes off the rails.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Neal Stephenson's "Seveneves" has a few parts of the novel that revolve around capturing, mining, and building a base on asteroids, though the actual living within / on the asteroid parts are mostly skipped over.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    Eon - Greg Bear.
    Set in 2005, when the U.S. and Soviet Union are on the verge of nuclear war. A 290 km asteroid is detected, following an anomalous and very powerful energy burst just outside the solar system. The asteroid moves into a highly eccentric Near-Earth orbit, and the two nations each try to claim this mysterious object.
    And its sequel "Eternity", although I would argue that both books are far more about the mysterious thing *inside* the asteroid than the asteroid itself.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

The Expanse TV series is based on a book series, so you could read that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The Troy Rising trilogy by John Ringo is primarily centered around turning an asteroid into a massive battlestation to defend Earth from aliens.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Isaac Asimov's 'Marooned off Vesta' is one of his better short stories. The asteroid is mostly just a (just out of reach) destination more than the primary focus of the story, but it is still integral to the story.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Isaac Asimov's 'Marooned off Vesta' is one of his better short stories. The asteroid is mostly just a (just out of reach) destination more than the primary focus of the story, but it is still integral to the story.
    Speaking of short stories, there's "The Martian Way" (also by Asimov, more a novella than a short story) which is about the titular Martians fetching an ice asteroid after Earth threatens to cut off their water supply.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Speaking of short stories, there's "The Martian Way" (also by Asimov, more a novella than a short story) which is about the titular Martians fetching an ice asteroid after Earth threatens to cut off their water supply.
    Oh, I remember that one! As an 8-9 year old, it was mind blowing that asteroids could be made of ice.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Apart from the classic Rendezvous with Rama, what other novels or stories deal primarily with asteroids? I know Larry Niven had some interesting ideas, looking for anything else along those lines.

I’m aware of two movies that came out in 1998, and of course The Expanse, but for my purposes I’m interested in written fiction only. Beyond Niven, I can’t think of much offhand, but there must be a lot more out there.
    The Expanse is originally a book series, which I highly recommend. While it's fairly similar to the show early on, the two do diverge to a fair degree. I'm on book eight at present, and it's pretty great, and it's one of the few where asteroids remain genuinely important.

There's a bunch of sci fi that involves asteroids to some degree, but the focus is generally elsewhere. A lot tend to embrace the huge scale of space, and focus more on either ships or worlds. Heinlein wrote The Rolling Stones, which is pretty much about mining the asteroids, though. Not as famous as his more well known works, but maybe interesting to check out.

Dropping rocks on earth comes up a few times(Hammer of God/Lucifer's Hammer/god knows how many others), which kind of involves an asteroid, but not sure if that's the vibe you're going for. If it is, my favorite interpretation of this concept is The Killing Star.

If you're looking for something that blends the vibe of asteroid exploration with planetary sci-fi, Rocheworld/Return to Rocheworld may be interesting for their stories arising from an extremely unusual orbital setup.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Ben Bova's Privateers involves US astronauts trying to steal a Soviet asteroid IIRC.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton has a number of asteroid based colonies along with a series of colonies in an asteroid field. Overall they're more just set pieces, but he does go into detail on how the various colonies are built/structured in the asteroids. It is a doorstopper series though, just a heads up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Only thing I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is a book I read way, way back called Garbage World. It's about an asteroid that serves as basically a landfill for the other asteroids, which are mostly luxury resorts. Can't text the author or publisher, an tbh I wouldn't call it good (it actually was one of the worst books I've read all the way through).