New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Kirby Super Star (Kirb Your Enthusiasm)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    .......Have I hanged out with Rater that much that you get me confused?? Oh no. I have to do the must un-Rater202 thing I can possibly think of: start worshipping a death god.
    I just woke up, and thus am not fully brain-on just yet.

Sorry about that Raziere.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-03-26 at 08:30 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32

If it was me doing this, it would be less "nature documentary" and more "alien autopsy."

"As far as I can tell, Kirby is either an amoeba or some kind of sapient non-Newtonian fluid. I can't get more indepth that than because it ate my scalpel and is now chasing me with a sword."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #33

Oops feeling physically unwell so I almost forgot to post today's Kirby!

Zodi Plays: Kirby Super Star [5] Sub-Tree

Video Length: 17:36

We begin the Great Cave Offensive! An adorable and honestly wonderful treasure hunting adventure with some ever so slight Metroidvania style to it. The first area is Sub-Tree, and it has a fair amount of treasure, some from video games, some from movies, and some just existent as concepts. All in all, a really good start to this mode. The boss of Sub-Tree is the unfortunately named Fatty whale, who is honestly just an adorable whale guy. He doesn't mean any harm he's just rollin' around doing whale stuff. Come on Kirby, leave the guy alone.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, Great Cave Offensive. Some of these treasures took Kid Data a long time to find. There's one treasure I have no idea how you would get without Co-Op, and I never learned. My brother and I just did it all together.

Very well. I don't particularly care, but, since it has been requested:

Player Treasures (New) G Value (New)
    Zodi 6 (6) 437,300 (437,300)
    Blue 7 (7) 630,390 (630,390)
    Spoiler: List
    Show
    Zodi: Whip, Crystal Ball, Lucky Cat, Seiryu Sword, Screw Ball, Echigo Candy
    Blue: Gold Medal, Gold Coin, Zebra Mask, Star Stone, Beast's Fang, Bandanna, Springtime

Spoiler: Re: Beast Fang
    Show
    Well, you did find it in a chest...

Fatty Whale is basically meant to teach you to Guard, because he takes some chip damage from it.

Fun fact! If you tap forwards or backwards while riding in the minecarts, you can control their speeds, IIRC.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2021-03-29 at 04:09 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #35

I like that Kirby is wearing an explorer hat before he falls in the cave and that he doesn't seem to care about escaping than he does finding the treasure.

It comes across as less that he got lost in the cave and more that he was actively planning to go treasure hunting but forgot where the entrance was.

And Dracula's Evil House is an amazing franchise: I particularly like Dracula's Evil House: Hex of No-Light in which you played as a former minion of Dracula's with the power to create monsters of your own to help you, but I think most people prefer to think of Dracula's Evil House: Concert of the Evening Time which is more iconic.

"Human beings have no need for a hero like you."
    "What is the definition of a human being? An unhappy small heap of obscured facts, but that's enough discussion, come at me, bro!"

Also, the Waddledoo helper just kind of walks through the water when Kirby is swimming.

I am not one of the right people.

I know that Jet Kirby has an engine in his back, but some of his sprites make it look like he has really bad gas.

Fatty Whale isn't even that fat for a whale.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    There's one treasure I have no idea how you would get without Co-Op, and I never learned. My brother and I just did it all together.
    Spoiler: How to get it
    Show
    I imagine you're thinking of the one in the optional castle area. You need to simultaneously have hammer/stone to pound a stake, and sword/cutter/wing/ninja to cut a rope. And said powers are not nearby.

If single player, you need to have one power as a computer helper, and have it survive as you make your way over, while Kirby has the other power. Can be tricky if the AI is being particularly stupid.

Although, I believe you could "cheat" by just using Plasma. Its shots go through walls, and can break bomb blocks. Plasma is such an OP power in this game, if you are at all decent at quickly rotating the control pad.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Floogal View Post
    Spoiler: How to get it
    Show
    I imagine you're thinking of the one in the optional castle area. You need to simultaneously have hammer/stone to pound a stake, and sword/cutter/wing/ninja to cut a rope. And said powers are not nearby.

If single player, you need to have one power as a computer helper, and have it survive as you make your way over, while Kirby has the other power. Can be tricky if the AI is being particularly stupid.

Although, I believe you could "cheat" by just using Plasma. Its shots go through walls, and can break bomb blocks. Plasma is such an OP power in this game, if you are at all decent at quickly rotating the control pad.
    Spoiler: Not That One
    Show
    It's one where the fuse is in the water. Fire Kirby can't breathe fire in the water, but P2's Burning Leo can.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Kirby Watch Day Five:
    Kirby has for some reason decided to explore a cave. It seems to have a concept of greed, or is it just going around collecting things that it finds shiny or interesting? Is this an extension of Kirby's instinct to absorb things by sucking them in? How does it differentiate between something it sucks in and something Kirby merely collects?

This cave formation is quite odd by itself, and now that I think of it, the portals Kirby goes through are just as strange: are they a natural occurrence? or something supernatural? but only Kirby and those under its control seem able to see these portals. Perhaps it apart of Kirby's extra-dimensional senses?

furthermore, the stranger thing is how all these foods like flans and pancakes just seem to grow out of nowhere. are these real foods people are leaving everywhere, or does Popstar simply naturally grow all this out of the ground? Given that I don't see any cooks, I have to assume the latter and all this food Kirby is eating is actually highly weird probably supernatural fruit.

another strange oddity of Popstar as an environment are destructible star blocks. I can't think of any reason why someone would build these, there is no geological reason I can think of why they would grow in a cubical lattice and if they're a highly strange plant then they must take the concept of new life from destruction to whole other level to keep reproducing with Kirby scattering star block seeds every time they are destroyed, but its the only explanation I can think of that remotely makes sense.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #39

All things being equal, "Star Blocks are a type of plant on this planet" may actually be canon and I really like that you've come up with it as an idea.

also hey, ODST thread for those who want to enjoy more Halozodiac times.

10. - Top - End - #40

Oh hey... more Kirby.

Zodi Plays: Kirby Super Star [6] Crystal

Video Length: 24:32

In this episode we tackle Crystal, which I believe to be the shortest of the areas in Great Cave Offensive? It's basically only three rooms, but with some pretty decent timing based puzzles to get treasures. And as you can see... at least one of these said puzzles is quite dangerous. I won't go too deep in on it.

The boss of Crystal is the rather cool and much beloved Computer Virus, which shows that you can make a boss entirely dependent on waiting and holding the guard button really well liked if you make it super stylish. Mechanically this boss isn't good at all, but the presentation is so spot on literally no one minds. It's really cool, actually. But that's it for today, hope you all enjoyed, we'll see you all next time.

(also on the very slight chance no one knows, the Falcon Helmet belongs to Captain Falcon, from F-Zero and Smash Bros).

11. - Top - End - #41

Towards the halfway point this was one pie to the face short of a Three Stooges short.

The laughter sounds like you're dying from Joker Toxin.

I can relate to that. One time in high school Spanish I laughed at something and couldn't stop, then the rest of the class started laughing, I'd calm down, then someone else would laugh and I'd get started again.

I think the class spent five minutes laughing.

That hundred-dollar coin was worth 10000 gp.

The dime was 10.

1 to 1 GP to cent conversion checks out so far.

I love that the boss is literally hey, let's take a break and play a really simple RPG battle for a second."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Kirby Watch Day Six:
    Kirby seems to be able to punch things with great force underwater. how strong is this life form?

Another curious aspect of Kirby's absorption ability is that it somehow allows Kirby to wield items with great skill instantly. This implies that Kirby not only absorbs the physical aspects of its prey, but also the mental aspects and skills as well. Could this account for Kirby's seemingly inconsistent feats of higher intelligence?

those Gordos, life even Kirby can't absorb....did they appear before or after Kirby came to Popstar? because if after then Popstar had somehow evolved a life form in response to Kirby's existence to successfully defend against it. If it there before however, then it gets even more interesting as it implies a life form capable of giving Kirby trouble without specifically intending to.

....Perhaps the Gordos have some curse power to make Kirby fail repeatedly at certain tasks as well when they're nearby. then laugh repeatedly about it as if affected by Joker gas. truly a terrifying life form evolved to defeat Kirby.

Falcon's Helmet was found amid Popstar's wilderness by Kirby. could this mean that Captain Falcon one day crash landed on Popstar and could never find his way off? does he still wander this land to this day? can only get to Smash Bros tournaments with kirby's help? perhaps this is why this racing legend disappeared from the F-Zero circuit....

WHAT IN BLUE BLAZES!? Windows opened up in reality! text appeared on them as in an rpg! Kirby defeated all the enemies that came out and then....they closed.....Is another example of Popstars bizarre life forms? Is this even biology or ecology anymore? this researcher is confused. If it is a life form, Kirby cannot seem to touch it directly. is it because it exists in higher dimensions or something....? whatever this window-being was, it is....anomalous even by Popstar's standards.

Popstar Paleontologist Aside:
    Kirby Super Star was released in 1996 and this remake is 2008, if these two fossils are related to pokemon, that would be about the time american Pokemon Red and blue versions were released and three years away from Pokemon Gold. unfortunately Johto didn't have any fossil pokemon! while the remake would be about Pokemon Platinum's time, and Shieldon and Cranidos don't have much resemblance to these fossils. the fish might the fish parts of Dracovish, but 12-24 years or so years is a long time to sit on an idea. I doubt Dracovish was anywhere near an idea in anyone's mind at the time, especially not anyone working on kirby games who I recall aren't the same people who make Pokemon games. so no, probably not actually related to any specific pokemon. just two fossils.

13. - Top - End - #43

My comment on it being related to Pokemon was mostly a joke, as I said. I was just trying to find a fossil comparison I could make. I'm well aware of the release dates, but thank you for the scientific breakdown *thumbs up*.

I love everyone's reactions to my unhinged laughter, btw.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I love everyone's reactions to my unhinged laughter, btw.
    Seriously though, are you okay? That sounded painful after a second.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

...I was gonna laugh if all Blue got today was the Dime.

Ah, Capsule J. A blatant nod to Konami's Twinbee. And thus, was replaced for the re-release, because they didn't have the rights. Hence why it's Capsule J2 in Ultra.

Oh, geez. That sucks! Replaying anything would suck, but this one in particular? Way too long.

Zodi 18 (12) 1,483,660 (1,046,360)
    Blue 11 (4) 704,130 (73,740)
    Show
    Zodi: Whip, Crystal Ball, Lucky Cat, Seiryu Sword, Screw Ball, Echigo Candy, Dime, Glass Slippers, Goblet, Brass Knuckle, Amber Rose, Beast Fossil, Bucket, Summertime, Falcon Helmet, Ancient Gem, Dud, Truth Mirror
    Blue: Gold Medal, Gold Coin, Zebra Mask, Star Stone, Beast's Fang, Bandanna, Springtime, Saucepan, Fish Fossil, Nunchuks, 100 dollar coin

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Seriously though, are you okay? That sounded painful after a second.
    I'm fine, don't worry. This just happens occasionally.

...I was gonna laugh if all Blue got today was the Dime.

Ah, Capsule J. A blatant nod to Konami's Twinbee. And thus, was replaced for the re-release, because they didn't have the rights. Hence why it's Capsule J2 in Ultra.

Oh, geez. That sucks! Replaying anything would suck, but this one in particular? Way too long.

Zodi 18 (12) 1,483,660 (1,046,360)
    Blue 11 (4) 704,130 (73,740)
    Show
    Zodi: Whip, Crystal Ball, Lucky Cat, Seiryu Sword, Screw Ball, Echigo Candy, Dime, Glass Slippers, Goblet, Brass Knuckle, Amber Rose, Beast Fossil, Bucket, Summertime, Falcon Helmet, Ancient Gem, Dud, Truth Mirror
    Blue: Gold Medal, Gold Coin, Zebra Mask, Star Stone, Beast's Fang, Bandanna, Springtime, Saucepan, Fish Fossil, Nunchuks, 100 dollar coin
    Yeah I love how they just straight up made one of the enemies in this game Twin Bee, and then gave you Twin Bee powers. It's pretty neat!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

I'm fine, don't worry. This just happens occasionally.
    See also: Warthog sitting.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler: Not That One
    Show
    It's one where the fuse is in the water. Fire Kirby can't breathe fire in the water, but P2's Burning Leo can.
    Spoiler: Oh, that one
    Show
    That one's simple, just create a Fire AI helper, it will do it. Pretty much the only thing you can count on with the helpers is that they will aggressively do any environmental things: burning fuses, pounding stakes, cutting ropes, etc.

Actually, I'm reminded that in NES Kirby's Adventure, you can light fuses underwater by absorbing your power in the right spot (the demo fire breath would actually affect things). For the longest time, I thought this was the only way the get the secret switch in 6-3, until I eventually figured out you were supposed to bounce a Laser beam off of the sloped ceiling corner down into the water.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Floogal View Post
    Spoiler: Oh, that one
    Show
    That one's simple, just create a Fire AI helper, it will do it. Pretty much the only thing you can count on with the helpers is that they will aggressively do any environmental things: burning fuses, pounding stakes, cutting ropes, etc.
    Well, huh. I was just used to the AI helpers being approximately 150% useless, and pretty much just a powerup store. I'd never seen any do that stuff. XD

20. - Top - End - #50

The cave beckons...

Zodi Plays: Kirby Super Star [7] Like Two Thirds of Old Tower

Video Length: 22:06

In which we tackle the largest area in Great Cave Offense, the Old Tower! I likely could have fit the entire session into this one, but I decided better safe than sorry. So only MOST of it. What can I say, it's a long one! Hope you all enjoy!

21. - Top - End - #51

Considering just how large that cave is, has several biomes, and that the cave is full of treasure it makes perfect sense that it has a tower.

Obviously, someone built the tower to protect the treasure they found in other parts of the cave.

I mean, you've gotta cut the chicken before you can eat it. Trying to gnaw on a whole chicken is a good way to choke on bones.

I notice that a lot of Kirby's more useful powers are the silly-looking ones. Either in concept or appearance.

...Those sirens are part of the video, right?

Five thousand years of cultural references you could make to ancient Egypt and a Yu-Gi-Oh reference is the first thing? That was my life for several non-consecutive years and that wouldn't be my first reference.

...You know, since a gold piece is roughly equivalent to a cent, that implies that gold isn't particularly valuable on Popstar. You don't make currency out of something that's worth more than that unit of currency, otherwise people would be selling it for it's material value instead of it's fiat value.

So either gold is ridiculously common or people on popstar don't have a reason to value it.

Which makes me wonder if their currency uses the value of that amount of gold or if they're on some kind of standard? Is it fiat currency? Is a GP worth a unit of currency becuase Dedede says it is? And if they're on a standard... What standard? What valuable instance is a GP worth a unit of?

Two Yu-Gi-Oh references in one vid?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, gotta love this respawn system...

Zodi 22 (5) 2,434,210 (950,550)
    Blue 12 (7) 1,462,930 (758,800)
    Show
    Zodi: Whip, Crystal Ball, Lucky Cat, Seiryu Sword, Screw Ball, Echigo Candy, Glass Slippers, Goblet, Brass Knuckle, Amber Rose, Beast Fossil, Bucket, Summertime, Falcon Helmet, Ancient Gem, Dud, Truth Mirror, Unicorn Horn, Rice Bowl, Autumntime, Star Tiara, Armor
    Blue: Gold Medal, Gold Coin, Zebra Mask, Star Stone, Beast's Fang, Bandanna, Springtime, Dime, Saucepan, Fish Fossil, Nunchuks, 100 dollar coin, Tut's Mask, Warrior Shield, Sword, Turtle Shell, Mr. Saturn, Treasure Box, Mannequin
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2021-04-09 at 06:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Kirby Watch Day Seven:
    Here again we see the Gordos prove to be Kirby's most hated and difficult foe to defeat once again.

One wonders what strange form of evolution that lead to "suplex" being its own distinct ability on Popstar for Kirby to absorb rather than it being some form of general martial artist/fighter kirby powers....

Is absorbing a being with sleep powers, Kirby's way of eating a sleeping pill? Stranger still is the environment where this takes place: technically since these power ups work on no one BUT Kirby, the only way they logically would be here is if they were placed here specifically to keep Kirby from taking whats within. Why? who decided to build defenses to keep out a single being to protect a single Mr. Saturn? wait....who kidnapped a Mr. Saturn and put him in a chest? Why did a Mr. Saturn come to Popstar? is Popstar some strange dimensional nexus intersecting other universes where things just fall into from time to time? like a shore where junk washes up from the sea?

we may never know the answers.

24. - Top - End - #54

...Those sirens are part of the video, right?

Five thousand years of cultural references you could make to ancient Egypt and a Yu-Gi-Oh reference is the first thing? That was my life for several non-consecutive years and that wouldn't be my first reference.

...You know, since a gold piece is roughly equivalent to a cent, that implies that gold isn't particularly valuable on Popstar. You don't make currency out of something that's worth more than that unit of currency, otherwise people would be selling it for it's material value instead of it's fiat value.

So either gold is ridiculously common or people on popstar don't have a reason to value it.

Which makes me wonder if their currency uses the value of that amount of gold or if they're on some kind of standard? Is it fiat currency? Is a GP worth a unit of currency becuase Dedede says it is? And if they're on a standard... What standard? What valuable instance is a GP worth a unit of?

Two Yu-Gi-Oh references in one vid?
    Yeah, a consequence of Winter slowly, slooowly ending is that I need to have my window open. Sorry!

In Blue's defense he is very into card games.

I feel like the value of money in the Kirby universe is predicated on how many individual chocolate coins you can get for it, no more and no less.

... in MY defense, I'm very into card games.

EDIT: I've always kinda suspected that power pedestals are like, coalesced energy, and not actual physical things... for the most part. Like, the item that pops out of Kirby when throwing a hat at his partner, but more physical, an artifact representing that Thing. So that hallway is full of sleepy pillows.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-04-09 at 08:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Due to some changes in structure at work, this'll be the last LATE video!

Zodi Plays: Kirby Super Star [8] Cave Tower, The Last Two Rooms

Video Length: 19:34

And this is why we cut the video where we did. Hey, like I said, this is the hardest part of Great Cave Offensive... and if we're being honest the hardest part of Kirby Super Star. In my opinion, anyway.

There's also a boss here, showcasing the final new power in this one; Paint! Paint is only accessible in two boss fights, are single use explosion moves, and they recolour the boss on use! Arm... got repainted to green, unfortunately, so that doesn't get shown off.

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed! See you all next time for the... potential finish of the GCO.

26. - Top - End - #56

"This place is made of destroy" is my new favorite line.

Ooh, foreshadowing!

This all seems very frustrating.

Especially the candle rooms.

Thing I learned since the previous episode: When Kirby and his helper share food, canonically what's happening is that they're kissing, and whoever one ate the food throws it up into the other's mouth.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #57

"This place is made of destroy" is my new favorite line.

Ooh, foreshadowing!

This all seems very frustrating.

Especially the candle rooms.

Thing I learned since the previous episode: When Kirby and his helper share food, canonically what's happening is that they're kissing, and whoever one ate the food throws it up into the other's mouth.
    Some phrases just come to my head and stick.

It's... VERY frustrating to degrees.

I like to think we're just hugging. I don't think there's any explicit indication of what is actually being done, but some people see it as kissing.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Zodi 24 (2) 3,742,210 (1,308,000)
    Blue 14 (2) 2,790,930 (1,328,000)
    Show
    Zodi: Whip, Crystal Ball, Lucky Cat, Seiryu Sword, Screw Ball, Echigo Candy, Glass Slippers, Goblet, Brass Knuckle, Amber Rose, Beast Fossil, Bucket, Summertime, Falcon Helmet, Ancient Gem, Dud, Truth Mirror, Unicorn Horn, Rice Bowl, Autumntime, Star Tiara, Armor, King's Cape, Model Ship
    Blue: Gold Medal, Gold Coin, Zebra Mask, Star Stone, Beast's Fang, Bandanna, Springtime, Dime, Saucepan, Fish Fossil, Nunchuks, 100 dollar coin, Tut's Mask, Warrior Shield, Sword, Turtle Shell, Mr. Saturn, Treasure Box, Mannequin, Golden Crown, Sun Ring

29. - Top - End - #59

Some phrases just come to my head and stick.

It's... VERY frustrating to degrees.

I like to think we're just hugging. I don't think there's any explicit indication of what is actually being done, but some people see it as kissing.
    Apparently, there's a manga adaption that goes into detail.

Kiss, then mama bird impression.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #60

Zodi 24 (2) 3,742,210 (1,308,000)
    Blue 14 (2) 2,790,930 (1,328,000)
    Show
    Zodi: Whip, Crystal Ball, Lucky Cat, Seiryu Sword, Screw Ball, Echigo Candy, Glass Slippers, Goblet, Brass Knuckle, Amber Rose, Beast Fossil, Bucket, Summertime, Falcon Helmet, Ancient Gem, Dud, Truth Mirror, Unicorn Horn, Rice Bowl, Autumntime, Star Tiara, Armor, King's Cape, Model Ship
    Blue: Gold Medal, Gold Coin, Zebra Mask, Star Stone, Beast's Fang, Bandanna, Springtime, Dime, Saucepan, Fish Fossil, Nunchuks, 100 dollar coin, Tut's Mask, Warrior Shield, Sword, Turtle Shell, Mr. Saturn, Treasure Box, Mannequin, Golden Crown, Sun Ring
    I'm surprised at how close we are, monetary wise.

Apparently, there's a manga adaption that goes into detail.

Kiss, then mama bird impression.
    Aah, I see. Kirby you weirdo don't do that!

Me and Blue are no longer dating so it's definitely just hugs though.