New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Kirby Super Star (Kirb Your Enthusiasm)

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    So, do folks here think that Marx is the same species as Kirby?
    I always lump them in together (plus Meta Knight), but there are some key differences - Marx has no arms, and also has whites around his eyes. (And round eyes.) So, perhaps a subspecies? Or maybe number of limbs is just like hair colour for humans. Who knows! Two data points does not a conclusion make.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Marx is definitely a Clown type, while Kirby and Meta Knight are poyos. They may look similarly, but they are not the same species.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Marx is definitely a Clown type, while Kirby and Meta Knight are poyos. They may look similarly, but they are not the same species.
    Waddle dees are the humans, Kirby/Meta Knight are the saiyans and Marx is the frieza equivalent. Deedeedee is Krillin and/or Yamcha.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I always lump them in together (plus Meta Knight), but there are some key differences - Marx has no arms, and also has whites around his eyes. (And round eyes.) So, perhaps a subspecies? Or maybe number of limbs is just like hair colour for humans. Who knows! Two data points does not a conclusion make.
    Marx is a round thing ball, probably some weird species indigenous to Pop Star.
    However, some people have argued that, given the animation of Marx Soul's transformation in the True Arena flashback, Marx's wish isn't actually granted until after his death, so the winged helldemon is his "true" form while the cute ball guy is an alternate one.

Kirby and Meta Knight seem to be the same "species", insofar as that applies to Void things.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-08-16 at 12:56 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

I always got the impression Kirby and King Dedede were the same speices or at least reasonably close relatives, due to Dedede floating and inhaling in a similar manner as Kirby. Meta-knight is harder to say simply because we never really see what he looks like with his armor off, but he could be the same species.

Marx also looks like a small pink ball, hence I also thought he was the same species. Also, Kirby later gets the ability to grow freaky-looking arms, albeit they look quite different than the ones Marx gets from Nova.

Speaking of which, LaZodiac, are you planning on streaming Kirby 64 in the future?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

actually we do get to see Meta Knight without his mask, multiple times:
    Spoiler: Behold
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Dedede can float and inhale because he underwent rigorous training to imitate Kirby's abilities.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I always got the impression Kirby and King Dedede were the same speices or at least reasonably close relatives, due to Dedede floating and inhaling in a similar manner as Kirby. Meta-knight is harder to say simply because we never really see what he looks like with his armor off, but he could be the same species.

Marx also looks like a small pink ball, hence I also thought he was the same species. Also, Kirby later gets the ability to grow freaky-looking arms, albeit they look quite different than the ones Marx gets from Nova.

Speaking of which, LaZodiac, are you planning on streaming Kirby 64 in the future?
    Dedede's a penguin this is just normal for them.

Marx is more boxy, to me, than orb shaped.

We will get to Crystal Shards eventually, though like with these other games it'll be a proper LP, not stream.

------

Speaking of streaming! Here is some news! In case it wasn't known; I just spent a week in the hospital due to diabetic ketoacitosis. I'm alive and good now, so things are okay. That's why there has been a delay. There may be a Kirby tomorrow, for sure Friiday. As well...

Saturday, June 12, I will be doing my first bit of actual streaming! We're going to be doing Super Mario Sunshine, with the idea of doing voiced playthroughs of (most) ever game I LPed that does not have a proper voiced LP. Should be fun, and as well I'll be using thte streams as a way to fund raise top surgery! You can follow me in advance here.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-06-06 at 07:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

I'm back from the hospital and ready for Kirby!

Zodi Plays: Kirby Super Star [13] Cave of Robots

Video Length: 20:48

In this episode we take down Cavios and Mecheye, two of the trickier planets to deal with. It takes a bit to shake off the rust after my month long death spiral and week in the hospital, but we've got this!

EDIT: FORGOT TO HIT POST OOPS!

10. - Top - End - #100

I have completly forgotten what's going on.

Cavios is a weird name for a planet.

So Cavios is a boos rush?

And you didn't call it a mushroom.

Gonna be honest, I think I like this set up better than the traditional power copying. Just find a power and it's yours permanently. Maybe a bit Metroidvaniay but it feels different when it's powers.

It's always satisfying when games let you destroy something like say a knight in metal armor with something that shouldn't like say a wooden mallet.

I'm realizing that all water in this reality is full of stars.

I still think it rather odd that Kirby is not only encountering species from Popstar but even other individuals he has met on other planets.

Oh, water with no stars on the machine planet.

So I laughed until I started coughing and almost blacked out at the accidental suicide, so... Yeah.

And another boss rush!

...It's always concerning when you get multiple extra lives in one go. It's the platformer equivalent of playing a resident evil game and then you just start finding shorgun shells and flamethrower fuel everywhere you look

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, Infinite Hammer. Breaks the game wide open with allowing infinite use of Hammer Toss.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...It's always concerning when you get multiple extra lives in one go. It's the platformer equivalent of playing a resident evil game and then you just start finding shorgun shells and flamethrower fuel everywhere you look
    In this case, it's a reward for going out of your way and not stopping at the bonkers room with the door to go on.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

12. - Top - End - #102

Koirby!

Zodi Plays: Kirby Super Star [14] Oh Hi Marx

Video Length: 23:28

In this episode, we clear the final planet, get the last remaining power, and head off to Galactic Nova to save the day... except, le giga gasp! Marx was evil the whole time and this was just a trick. How rude! This leads to the shmup section all Kirby's have, and then the rather brutal Marx boss fight, which is SUPER cool.

13. - Top - End - #103

...one of the planets is just called half-moon?

And I am just now noticing that one of the enemies is a fat cat with wheels instead of legs. Best enemy, all games should have one.

...Mine carts driving on... constellations?

"I got blown up by a pineapple" is another one of those lines that sounds like Gir should be saying it.

Yeah, being in the hospital for a week always sucks. What's almost as bad, when you are still in agonizing pain, which is what you went to the hospital for in the first place, when you're discharged from the hospital, and then it just all goes way in an instant a day later. One second, agonizing pain, the next second it's just gone.

On the status of the tomato: A tomato is botanically a fruit, but culinarily a vegetable. It is also legally a vegetable for th purposes of taxation and tariffs in some parts of the united states as there was a fruit tariff in California that was being applied to tomatoes, with fruit being seen as a luxury that was mostly being made into deserts for the wealthy with tomatoes being an exception. People complained, and it was ruled that since you couldn't make a traditional desert out of a tomato then they must not be a fruit.

On them being part of the deadly nightshade family: Tomatoes are actually poisonous. Most animals that eat them will get sick... As will humans, if they eat any part of it but the fruit.

Potatoes, part of the same family, are likewise a source of neurotoxin. Eat any part but the root and you will get sick or maybe die... But unlike the tomato, where the fruit is naturally safe for humans to eat, the potato in the wild is super deadly to humans. The Incans found this deadly root vegetable and decided "I really want to eat that" and selectively the potatoes until they had a version where the roots lacked Toxin enough that humans could safely eat them.

Between that, the thing with capsaicin(will kill most animals that eat it but we think the pain makes it taste better and actively breed chilis to be spicier) and the thing with alcohol(for long stretches of time, drinking literal poison was safer than drinking the water in many parts of the world) and you bgin to realize that humans are ****ing insane.'

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Whoof, yeah, one of the improvements Ultra did was letting you hold down the button to fire. Also, IIRC, telling you how many powers you got/were missing per planet.

Pretty sure if P2 is connected (which, doesn't seem to be in this case), you can re-summon the ship. It just has limited HP, less and less each time. I know my brother and I found that useful in the Arena, though it does summon with a random power.

15. - Top - End - #105

Koirby!

Zodi Plays: Kirby Super Star [15] [FINALE] Arena Disrespector

Video Length: 24:37

In this exciting episode, we finish off the final challenge, Arena! We also um... went into the Arena way more confident in our abilities than our performance shows. Oops!

With that done, Super Star comes to a close... is what I would say, if I wasn't going to go beyond! Join us next time for... Kirby Super Star Ultra! We've gotta show off the new stuff there, obviously!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-06-21 at 11:20 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Oh boy. Suplex. I always found that the worst for bosses.

Superstar Ultra gives a tomato whenever any Maxim is eaten. That's a pretty big change.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Kirby Watch Days 13-15: Final Expedition
    It seems all the species on Popstar are also found upon other planets. Did they migrate to these planets, or did they all migrate to Popstar? Popstar: origin or destination?

This environment seems entirely made of solid stars...........this......shouldn't be physically possible.....but this reality doesn't seem to agree with that assertion. who made these mine carts to travel upon these....star-rock things? why would they do that? are the last remans of some star-dwelling civilization?

and it invented this stupid computer virus being as well!? does this long gone civilizations defiance of logic and reason know no bounds!?

as for why this rpg message boss never came back....well honestly? ever since Super Paper Mario, Nintendo has been increasingly focused on not being rpg-like or having external reward systems at all, as this seemingly reactionary backlash against a lot of the videogame industries focus on leveling systems, loot systems and so on. Instead they've been focusing on this almost minimalist approach to their games where anything thats not pokemon focuses on the core gameplay loops as possible, from Zelda to Mario and it shows how much they're bending over backwards to focus entirely on the core gameplay loop over any external rewards in things like the later paper marios (where they refuse to bring back the old system that worked in favor of weird byzantine ones no one likes) or Bowser's Fury (which has discarded any attempt at environmental worldbuilding for just providing an endless stream of challenges without any painting of the environments to make them feel different or meaningful). when previous Mario games were very good at painting the environment to make it feel your exploring a world and doing something different each time rather than just doing a series of jumps across a few platforms. I would not be surprised if the computer virus boss wouldn't be allowed to come back because it detracts from the core kirby loop of going through environments and fighting the usual bosses by their logic.

What are you talking about Zodi? Marx is totally a trustworthy and nice person who is completely sane.. biologically he a god now, so I don't think there is anything to say about that, but he does have strange similarities to Kirby normally, and his outfit does imply he is a jester. perhaps his species evolved from clowns?

and now we observe Kirby in the arena. for some reason Kirby is going into an arena to face a boss-rush. perhaps this more evidence that Kirby is sapient....maybe. I personally don't think we can ever be truly sure. the evidence of these expeditions as usual, are inconclusive.

18. - Top - End - #108

Raziere I'm gonna level with you; they released like four Mario and Luigi RPG games plus two remakes of games in that series after Super Paper Mario. There is no aversion to RPGs, people just didn't buy them so they stopped making them. Bowser's Fury is also a DLC that looks super wonderful. Odyssey, meanwhile, is exactly what you say they're not making Mario wise.

And, finally, I will note that every single Kirby game post the N64 has had a weird gimmick that has never been done before, up to and including having a mech suit. Nintendo is not averse to risks and not averse to looking like an RPG, they just didn't bring back or reference the Computer Virus fight and that feels weird. And if we're talking "minimize to iconic stuff to keep the core gameplay loop consistent", well... Super Star is the most iconic Kirby that all Kirby post Return to Dreamland emulate in gameplay style, and Computer Virus is one of the most iconic bosses from Super Star. By your logic it should have shown up by now.

In summary; I think you're being a little harsh, grab a snickers bar.

Also, I'm super interested in what you're going to talk about for the first Super Star Ultra mode. There's a lot of science to be done there RE penguin behavior.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-06-24 at 07:44 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

No, screw that stupid snickers meme, and screw all paper marios after Super.

Mario Odyssey is the last example of the general levels still being painted as actual worlds, but has numerous little rooms where its just plain obstacles with no disguising it to make it look like apart of the world- they've been doing that since Sunshine with the Secrets where if you look at the secret and the rest of the world there is no reason for the Secret to exist, it doesn't make sense in the wider context, while Bowsers Fury is just a bunch of Secret-like levels where you have water and things that....look like the barebones parts of a videogame instead of a world, with the only theme in it being....cats for no reason. just cats everywhere. Why are the cats here? who knows, who cares. thats what they're doing, they're focusing on the core gameplay loop to exclude even having a pretense of these levels being apart of a wider world. it all looks technological and lifeless.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    No, screw that stupid snickers meme, and screw all paper marios after Super.

Mario Odyssey is the last example of the general levels still being painted as actual worlds, but has numerous little rooms where its just plain obstacles with no disguising it to make it look like apart of the world- they've been doing that since Sunshine with the Secrets where if you look at the secret and the rest of the world there is no reason for the Secret to exist, it doesn't make sense in the wider context, while Bowsers Fury is just a bunch of Secret-like levels where you have water and things that....look like the barebones parts of a videogame instead of a world, with the only theme in it being....cats for no reason. just cats everywhere. Why are the cats here? who knows, who cares. thats what they're doing, they're focusing on the core gameplay loop to exclude even having a pretense of these levels being apart of a wider world. it all looks technological and lifeless.
    I'll admit while I was sort of referencing a commercial, I do mean it genuinely and wasn't trying to meme on you or anything. I think it's a good idea to, when very impassioned in a negative way, to take a breath, step back, and have a little snack. Cheer yourself up a bit. Also Colour Splash and Origami King are great, as are the Mario and Luigi RPGs.

Odyssey very rarely has anything resembling Secrets, and a lot of the side areas are pretty thematic to the place they're found. I can't say I understand what you're saying of Bowser's Fury cause it just seems like "open air version of Super Mario 3D World", which is what it is. The cats are here because the game it is a DLC for had cat suits as a special new thing, so it's special new thing DLC island world?

I do not understand why this is making you upset?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-06-24 at 06:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

look, I'll be honest I saw a couple of youtube videos that pointed out this kind stuff to me a while ago and now I can't unsee it, and it perfectly explains why Paper Mario went down the path I don't want. I'm not upset or anything I'm just pointing out my criticism of Nintendo being a little too caught in its particular philosophy that it has explicitly stated is the case.

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    look, I'll be honest I saw a couple of youtube videos that pointed out this kind stuff to me a while ago and now I can't unsee it, and it perfectly explains why Paper Mario went down the path I don't want. I'm not upset or anything I'm just pointing out my criticism of Nintendo being a little too caught in its particular philosophy that it has explicitly stated is the case.
    Okay, that's fair. To each their own.

I hope in the future if I play one of these games you dislike, I'm able to make it enjoyable for you

23. - Top - End - #113

It's time to go beyond. PLUSULTRA!

Zodi Plays: Kirby Super Star Ultra [1] Dedede's Revengence

Video Length: 32:25

In this episode, we step into what could be called Spring Breeze Hard Mode. It's Revenge of the King, probably my favorite mode of the new modes in Ultra! We show off a bit about what makes Ultra different from the original, and then head off to beat up all of that nasty ole penguin's friends, who are rip-roaring for revenge!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Kirby Watch Day 16:
    I theorize that Waddle-Dees are the baseline species from all other life descends from due to their seeming normalcy, they must actually be incredibly adaptable to be so common....

a roly-poly elephant.....did it evolve to move faster on Popstar due to its various dangerous wildlife?

the roses that are seemingly unkillable and eat Kirby is......strange. are the plants adapting against Kirby like the Gordos?

.....Whispy Woods is a baby world tree!? hm. that.....has implications.....

See? the waddle dees are underwater and they're fine. really adaptable.

Wait, red apples aren't alive, but green apples are? are green apples on popstar an imitative species trying to fool people they're a fruit as camouflage? but why? it only makes them look more tasty to herbivores....

a lion that has a flaming mane......either this flaming mane was an adaptation in response to a very cold environment or its just like peacock feathers....

though the fact that tigers are able to survive on Popstar without any change in physiology might also be an interesting question. what about Popstar makes the tiger particularly viable as a form of life on it?

Interesting, Dedede is seen as the alpha of their pack despite Kirby being stronger.

Wait, nevermind, the roses are vulnerable to at least ice. false alarm.

Why did Dedede design a ship to be a living sky fortress and if he didn't, what mad scientist made a sky fortress sentient?

well at least we have proof that Dedede is sapient......did we already prove that? hm.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, Ultra. Adds some nice QoL changes, such as "vs [name]" on the bottom screen when facing a boss.

Unusually Strong Waddle Dee is, however, still killed by a single inhale.

Yeah. Masked Dedede's theme is amazing. (There's another song later that comes at least close for me, though.) I also like the detail of how instead of the audience of last time (which is still in Spring Breeze), there's only Bandana Dee.

26. - Top - End - #116

Kirby time! Or rather... Helper Time!

Zodi Plays: Kirby Super Star Ultra [2] Help Me Help You

Video Length: 17:04

In this episode, we tackle Helper 2 Hero, a fun little game mode where you play as one of the Helpers, going through a miniture, Revenge fueled arena. The final challenge is a fun little surprise that I quite like, and much like the original Super Star before it, is something that will get carried into the future into the more modern Kirby games. We also check out the touch based minigames, which are uh... not as good as the original minigames, for a variety of reasons.

Full disclosure; I was honestly really tempted to do what Blue suggests in this one and have him do Helper 2 Hero. It's a good damn gag and I uh, wish I had thought of it! But at the recording time we didn't have much time to do stuff and waiting for the game to get to him would have taken too long. Aah well. So it goes.

27. - Top - End - #117

As a rule of thumb, I find that the AI in a minigame like this being good and the frustration level that comes from doing your best and still losing are directly correlated. I'm having flashbacks to the Clefairy Says minigame from the original Pokemon Stadium as I type this.

"Helpers can be heroes too." And now the painful flashbacks have been replaced by an anime earworm.

Meta Knightmare Ultra... The Introduction of Galacta Knight...

Have fun with that.

Also, I love that my spellcheck recognized knightmare as a word... But only if it's capitalized.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Kirby Watch Day 17:
    The bugs here seem to have really big and cute human-like eyes. is this some sort of bizarre cuteness defense mechanism? an adaptation like peacock feathers? or did some twisted mad scientist do this?

Hm, Popstar inhabitants and Smash characters seem to exhibit similar behaviors and live in similar environments. perhaps the Smash characters are parallel universe similar in structure to Popstar?

hm, by what process would a Wham Bam Jewel grow diamonds as apart of their body? strange.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

I think the gap in the screens is so that the food and stuff were able to smoothly "slide" over the DS's middle hinge - not to make things harder.

You do get EXP against the Computer Virus (with an additional "(not that it matters)" line, which always kills me), just not in the boss rush modes. Or maybe just not with Helper to Hero, since it's all* Kirby-specific dialogue.

Spoiler: *well, technically
    Show
    Meta Knight gets his own dialogue.

And, oh boy Meta Knightmare Ultra time.

30. - Top - End - #120

So, I mentioned this a few times, but today was a stream day! Today's stream can be found below!

Zodi Streams: Psychonauts [2] Fish, Arrow, and Milk

Stream Length: 2:51:47

As well, please see the below playlist, containing all of my other streams, for those of you who want to check out the vods as well!

Zodi Streams!