New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Will the heroes LET Xykon gain control of the last gate?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Great comedy, but not one I'd take lessons from on how to handle a third act.
    I actually loved the ending, but I'm heavily biased because I was the only member of my family who saw it coming a mile off and could barely hide how smug I felt about it.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I actually loved the ending, but I'm heavily biased because I was the only member of my family who saw it coming a mile off and could barely hide how smug I felt about it.
    I liked the ending just fine, but there was some real contrived stuff to set up the third act,

Spoiler: A movie from 1999
    Show
    particularly the fight between Peter and Joanna.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I liked the ending just fine, but there was some real contrived stuff to set up the third act,

Spoiler: A movie from 1999
    Show
    particularly the fight between Peter and Joanna.
    You're right, that was pretty dumb. Mediocre sitcom-level material. Office Space could have done better than that.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regarding Redcloak, I believe the Giant is already on record (though I could be wrong, if someone knows the quote I'm thinking about, I'd appreciate it) as saying that, ultimately this story will come down to Roy and Xykon. So whatever the resolution with him is, it's wrong to talk about it ending the story or acting as if it comes after Xykon's defeat. Xykon's defeat will be the climax, everything else, including Redcloak, the IFCC, and whatever else Hel and her remaining vampire may or may not try are important but ultimately secondary conflicts.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

This probably isn’t as clear without knowledge of the “side” books, but I’m fairly sure that however this goes won’t be completely sweeping the goblinoid problem under the rug.

I don’t really get why people want “punish evildoers” and “try to fix the root problem” as mutually exclusive. Is it because Redcloak’s a villain so he must be completely and absolutely wrong if he doesn’t jump on the first chance for redemption?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This probably isn’t as clear without knowledge of the “side” books, but I’m fairly sure that however this goes won’t be completely sweeping the goblinoid problem under the rug.

I don’t really get why people want “punish evildoers” and “try to fix the root problem” as mutually exclusive. Is it because Redcloak’s a villain so he must be completely and absolutely wrong if he doesn’t jump on the first chance for redemption?
    I agree. It would be really odd if Durkon persuaded Redcloak to veer from the course he followed for like 50 years, after a brief colloquy.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Regarding Redcloak, I believe the Giant is already on record (though I could be wrong, if someone knows the quote I'm thinking about, I'd appreciate it) as saying that, ultimately this story will come down to Roy and Xykon. So whatever the resolution with him is, it's wrong to talk about it ending the story or acting as if it comes after Xykon's defeat. Xykon's defeat will be the climax, everything else, including Redcloak, the IFCC, and whatever else Hel and her remaining vampire may or may not try are important but ultimately secondary conflicts.
    The only quote coming to mind is something Rich said about Xykon being the main villain, and the Snarl not being a villain but a MacGuffin. I'm not sure if that's the one, but I don't think it makes any indicators about Redcloak's role.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Because the story is enter its endphase and there is still no sign that Redcloak is heading down anything like a path toward redemption. And this isn't his first chance. *Ahem* SOD *Ahem*. At this point, people who are insisting that this story *MUST* be about Redcloak being redeemed and being the central figure in fixing everything are in the position of arguing that the rest of us don't have any evidence that there isn't a tea pot orbiting the Sun between Earth and Mars.

Meanwhile, every other (much more plausible, in many cases) theory of how the story will end is rejected out of hand, usually on the grounds no other character is important enough to resolve the goblin conflict (and that resolution OF COURSE must be clean, decisive, and final, all wrapped up with a neat little bow). The fact that Redcloak is not the main character of the story, and, I don't know, the actual heroes might have a hand in things is ignored.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    Because the story is enter its endphase and there is still no sign that Redcloak is heading down anything like a path toward redemption. And this isn't his first chance. *Ahem* SOD *Ahem*. At this point, people who are insisting that this story *MUST* be about Redcloak being redeemed and being the central figure in fixing everything are in the position of arguing that the rest of us don't have any evidence that there isn't a tea pot orbiting the Sun between Earth and Mars.
    First of all, I didn't literally mean the first chance. Not to mention that his first real chance in Start of Darkness was when Xykon went AWOL for three years and he did almost take it before Xykon razed Right-Eye's village for the lulz.

And right after Xykon got blown up the first time? Without going into spoilers too much... you really think he was in a good place, mentally, enough to do that? It was an influence - it's a good explanation of why Redcloak's much less passive after DCF - but he didn't really "snap out of it" until that part with the hobgoblin soldier.

Meanwhile, every other (much more plausible, in many cases) theory of how the story will end is rejected out of hand, usually on the grounds no other character is important enough to resolve the goblin conflict (and that resolution OF COURSE must be clean, decisive, and final, all wrapped up with a neat little bow). The fact that Redcloak is not the main character of the story, and, I don't know, the actual heroes might have a hand in things is ignored.
    Who said the goblin conflict's going to be "wrapped up with a neat little bow"?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.