New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: UPick

1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: UPick

If AV is not lying, Light Yagami being JeenLeen means JeenLeen is in fact mafia; I know this for a fact. Don't need to ask how, do you? My role is literally "Know this one named role is mafia." Yep.
    Last edited by Aleph Null; 2021-03-19 at 03:10 PM.
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

I don't know why, but I think more people have studied linguistics than I have.
    ...yes, the above sentence is in fact meaningless. But you did a double-take, didn't you?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by totadileplayz View Post
    Honestly this might be one of the games where there are no mafia. Because I'm far more worried about the alternative.
    I highly doubt that is the case.
    From the opening rules, we know there is no cult mechanic, or other mechanic that changes alignment. I really don't see Unavenger doing a bastard move in which there's no mafia. I also highly doubt there's just a sole, way-overpowered serial killer/mafia-of-one. Although AV maybe could fit that definition.

But I just doubt that as this game is about doing UPick. I don't think there's hidden mechanics like that.

This is including if AV is scum by the way.
    Let's contemplate if AV is scum and you are Town.
    If I read you right, you said you scried AV's role, and that gave her name and her list of powers (possibly with some redactions--I reckon redacting anything that'd out them as a wolf.) You say you see her seer, day-vig, and protective abilities?

I guess mostly clarifying, but also trying to catch a lie if either of you are wolves, and to see how much I should trust AV if I trust you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph Null View Post
    If AV is not lying, Light Yagami being JeenLeen means JeenLeen is in fact mafia; I know this for a fact. Don't need to ask how, do you? My role is literally "Know this one named role is mafia." Yep.
    Well, if I flip Town, I guess Aleph Null is not Town.

3. - Top - End - #183

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I highly doubt that is the case.
    From the opening rules, we know there is no cult mechanic, or other mechanic that changes alignment. I really don't see Unavenger doing a bastard move in which there's no mafia. I also highly doubt there's just a sole, way-overpowered serial killer/mafia-of-one. Although AV maybe could fit that definition.

But I just doubt that as this game is about doing UPick. I don't think there's hidden mechanics like that.

If I read you right, you said you scried AV's role, and that gave her name and her list of powers (possibly with some redactions--I reckon redacting anything that'd out them as a wolf.) You say you see her seer, day-vig, and protective abilities?

I guess mostly clarifying, but also trying to catch a lie if either of you are wolves, and to see how much I should trust AV if I trust you.

- - - Updated - - -

If you flip town AND Light Yagami, then yes. But I seriously doubt that will happen, unless Unavenger lied to me in my role description. Who knows, maybe they did.
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

...yes, the above sentence is in fact meaningless. But you did a double-take, didn't you?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I have a investigative (not a cop) I targeted Xihirli with because well, how does one read Xihirli anyways and I figured that's a slot I'd like to glean a mech fueled picture from

JeenLeen

Honestly can feel free to dayvig him sounds like he's just a dayvig

Which probably explains why there's a good number of town roles packing the heat

- - - Updated - - -

yeah

- - - Updated - - -

I will psuedo vote CaptainCap for the moment.

"But Apogee JeenLeen is voting Cap and is a wolf"

Well friends every post after AV outs Jeen as Light from Jeen is him just trying to muddy the waters.

And from a blend of posting, the bar being raised, and d1 VCA make me want this kill.

- - - Updated - - -

Also we clearly have some goat night actions

Blocking the nightkill and outing the dayvig

That's :popcorn:

5. - Top - End - #185
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah I'm going to be honest that's exactly how you should read it.

- - - Updated - - -

It's far more likely then not precisely because if Jeenleen wasn't light then he'd just say he wasn't light.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Wait, so your role is just "Light Yagami is mafia"? No actual powers? I guess you could have other power that you wouldn't and shouldn't tell us about. But this kinda seems... oddly specific? Reserving judgement on this one until we see Jeen's flip.

EDIT: I'm mostly confused because I don't get what kind of role you would have that specifically knows Light's alignment and not any other ones, unless you happened to pick another character from the same universe, which seems unlikely. IDK.
    Last edited by Elenna; 2021-03-19 at 03:48 PM.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

7. - Top - End - #187

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Wait, so your role is just "Light Yagami is mafia"? No actual powers? I guess you could have other power that you wouldn't and shouldn't tell us about. But this kinda seems... oddly specific? Reserving judgement on this one until we see Jeen's flip.
    I mean scaringly even despite it's specificity I see two seperate roles that I went and said aloud. Yeah I can see them having that power.

- - - Updated - - -

Note neither of them are specific it just makes a lot of sense given the theme of the show, and the roles I'm looking at.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post

EDIT: I'm mostly confused because I don't get what kind of role you would have that specifically knows Light's alignment and not any other ones, unless you happened to pick another character from the same universe, which seems unlikely. IDK.
    I think their power is "you start with the absolute knowledge that one particular role name is of scum alignment, but you don't know which player has that role". And then they probably have a scry where they can find out the role of the person they targeted, but not the alignment. Absolute knowledge that [role name] is scum is powerful...especially in an all-PR game that apparently has more than one scry ability floating around.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #189

Planetar

I am Light Yagami.
    just to show everyone that Yes Jeenleen is Light Yagami.

10. - Top - End - #190

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I kinda wish that Cao would've provided the quote proof for Cap's vote manipulation sooner, cuz it wasn't super-obvious when I was reading through the thread and it kinda seemed like an asspull at the time.
    I was honestly surprised you didn't notice my hint.

Oh well, I see a lot happened in the meantime.

For starters I agree with everyone who already said it: if it's all true, you're freaking op, AvatarVecna. I'm definitely skeptical about all those powers in the hands of a single town, so I think these two are the most likely possibilities: you're the super-uber BBEG (not so likely if JeenLeen turns out to be a wolf) or you are a town who's trying to confuse the wolves with whatever ruse you're pulling off (with the help of totadileplayz).

About JeenLeen: beast powers on a town? In my opinion even more unlikely than overpowered AvatarVecna. And then of course there's Aleph Null's claim.

All things considered, I think this is a great opportunity to test AvatarVecna's powers. Let's have them "disintegrate" JeenLeen (if they really can, of course): if one of them is a wolf, one less baddie around; if JeenLeen turns out to be innocent, we'll still be able to lynch Aleph Null before the end of the day. Worst case scenario, we lose the god-like townie AvatarVecna is claiming to be (assuming the puny Death Note can actually harm them), but at least there would still be totadileplayz preserving a fraction of their power.
    Last edited by Captain Cap; 2021-03-21 at 11:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #191

Planetar

More accurately, I do have other powers, including being immune to night-kills and having a night kill that only works on light yagami. And yes, I know the role but not the player.

The "fluff" is that I'm a dragon whose family was killed by one of Light's ancestors, and I came to see said ancestor dead...only to realize that it was his descendant (in this case Light) here instead. But I know he's evil.
    Last edited by Aleph Null; 2021-03-19 at 04:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cap View Post
    All things considered, I think this is a great opportunity to test AvatarVecna's powers. Let's have them "disintegrate" JeenLeen (if they really can, of course): if one of them is a wolf, one less baddie around; if JeenLeen turns out to be innocent, we'll still be able to lynch Aleph Null before the end of the day. Worst case scenario, we lose the god-like townie AvatarVecna is claiming to be (assuming the puny Death Note can actually harm them), but at least there would still be totadileplayz preserving a fraction of their power.
    Ok yeah I say Captain cap should be day-vig'd

That plan is horrible.

13. - Top - End - #193

SwashbucklerGuy

More accurately, I do have other powers, including being immune to night-kills and having a night kill that only works on light yagami. And yes, I know the role but not the player.
    That's interesting. At this point you could tell us the character you chose, just to complete the picture.

14. - Top - End - #194

Planetar

That's interesting. At this point you could tell us the character you chose, just to complete the picture.
    It's a made up character. Not from any canon or any of that. I will not say my name yet because apparently that's dangerous.

15. - Top - End - #195

Planetar

It's a made up character. Not from any canon or any of that. I will not say my name yet because apparently that's dangerous.
    Wait a second your the weird name'd one? Huh got the wrong impression on Book Wombat there were a couple guess I gambled wrong.

16. - Top - End - #196

SwashbucklerGuy

Ok yeah I say Captain cap should be day-vig'd

That plan is horrible.
    Unless you're really aware of AvatarVecna's alignment, I really can't see why you're so convinced of their towniness.

Understandable. To be fair, it isn't really clear if Light needs the name of the player or the name of the role.

17. - Top - End - #197

Planetar

Captain Cap

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

"If"? Don't you mean "when"? Or have you given up convincing people?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #199

Planetar

Unless you're really aware of AvatarVecna's alignment, I really can't see why you're so convinced of their towniness.

Understandable. To be fair, it isn't really clear if Light needs the name of the player or the name of the role.
    More accurately that's not because I see her townishness but because I know it won't work. Notably I can't use the powers of the dead.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I think their power is "you start with the absolute knowledge that one particular role name is of scum alignment, but you don't know which player has that role". And then they probably have a scry where they can find out the role of the person they targeted, but not the alignment. Absolute knowledge that [role name] is scum is powerful...especially in an all-PR game that apparently has more than one scry ability floating around.
    Yeah, I'm not saying the power itself is implausible, just that I couldn't imagine what kind of fluff would create that kind of power. It makes a bit more sense now that Aleph said he wasn't a specific fictional character, though (not to mention that lying about this would be a really weird move for wolf!Aleph).

Yeah, this is not a good plan.

Best case scenario, this gives us... exactly the same result as if AV proves their power by killing literally anyone else, and we lynch JeenLeen. I guess it would have the slight advantage of letting us kill Aleph a bit earlier if it turns out AV is telling the truth and JL is lying? But upon some more thought, it seems pretty unlikely that wolf!Aleph would stick their neck out like this to get town!Jeen lynched, since Jeen would have been lynched anyways without them saying anything. There's absolutely no advantage for wolf!Aleph to lie if Jeen is town.

Worst case scenario, if JL and AV are both telling the truth, we end up with two dead townies, one of which had a really powerful role. Also, you may have missed this (it took me a minute to figure out what totadile meant), but it seems they can't copy the powers of a dead player:
    Yeah, Right One Thing. Forgot the weakness to the mightiest power I can think of the target must be alive.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

21. - Top - End - #201

SwashbucklerGuy

More accurately that's not because I see her townishness but because I know it won't work. Notably I can't use the powers of the dead.
    Now I see. Yeah, that wouldn't be too great then.

22. - Top - End - #202

Planetar

And when I do see retaliatory kills in play, they ignore protection.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

For starters I agree with everyone who already said it: if it's all true, you're freaking op, AvatarVecna. I'm definitely skeptical about all those powers in the hands of a single town, so I think these two are the most likely possibilities: you're the super-uber BBEG (not so likely if JeenLeen turns out to be a wolf) or you are a town who's trying to confuse the wolves with whatever ruse you're pulling off (with the help of totadileplayz).
    I do think there's a strong possibility that AV is a neutral of some sort (maybe a serial killer?) who has extra powers to make up for the fact that it's usually quite hard to win as a neutral. But given all the other evidence against JeenLeen, and because AV apparently can't kill without it being announced by the narrator, I'd rather lynch Jeen first.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Some wolf team theories:

Spoiler: AV/tot wolf team
    Show
    Town is screwed.

No really, just absolutely, positively, ****ed.

I'm not lying about my abilities, and given what's occurred so far this game I'm fairly sure totadile is telling the truth about their abilities too. If the wolf team is two people with my powers? The game's essentially already over. Easy

I float this "2nd lynch" plan so that town isn't completely surprised when the kill power comes out, I fake a kill targeting myself that nobody else can see and blame JeenLeen. Aleph Null jumps in to confirm that, if JeenLeen is Light Yagami, then JeenLeen is a wolf; tot and I know that Jeen isn't a wolf, and that Aleph isn't a wolf, so this is a either random townie lying and throwing a fellow townie under the bus because the narrator lied to them, a random townie bussing a townie for no good reason, or a neutral bussing a townie and putting a giant spotlight on themselves for no good reason.

Anyway, JeenLeen becomes the actual lynch, since of course neither of us wolf!dayvig's are going to do town's dirtywork when we're the only ones the Beast power could hit. So along the way, we pseudo-lynch two more townies. It's already 7-2 today at best, so that has us going into the night phase 4-2 at best. We survive the night using my defense power and probably get our NK blocked, so it's 4-2 going into D3. We dayvig two more townies without even needing the real lynch, and at this point, it's 2v2. Unless there's vote manipulation against us, that comes down to which side got posts up first - and since we can use those dayvig powers to get rid of the people who voted before we could, we probably win the lynch too and now it's 1-2 and wolves win. Even if we lose the lynch, that still has the game as 2v1 going into N3, and almost certainly at this point the voiders/baners are almost certainly out of the picture. The only thing that can screw us up is daybaners who managed to target the right people, but there's good odds that by the time it matters, they're either dead or they failed to protect the right person.

And that's assuming town realizes they've been duped after JeenLeen flips, which isn't a guarantee. Enough confusion N2 and D3 would be enough for AV/tot to take it all the way with absolutely no threat. Heck, with the way things are going, it's likely that Aleph is a neutral and can win the game with us anyway, so we might not even need to go into that final night.

If the wolf team is AV/tot with these powers, and townie powers look like standard roles (voider and beast, for the two we "know" at this point), it's going to take a bloody miracle for town to win. The only chance is that this whole section is a misdirection and that totadile and I are spinning a fabulous yarn about how powerful we are, and we've been doing that since day 1 to put a spotlight on ourselves constantly for...some reason? And Aleph is backing us up for...some reason? Surely this isn't a 3-wolf game.

Fortunately for y'all, I'm no wolf, and I'm pretty sure tot isn't either. 75% sure, or thereabout.

Spoiler: AV/Aleph wolf team
    Show
    In this theory, totadil is an unwitting dupe who has seen and possesses all my powers, and I am a wolf possessing those powers. I shared how OP I am without knowing that totadile would be willing (or heck, able) to confirm my OPness. I have given town a basic understanding of my powerset, for no mechanical gain and temporary towncred, in exchange for putting an enormous spotlight on myself by all players, but especially by totadile who now knows more or less exactly how BS I am. I have spun this yarn about JeenLeen and my wolf buddy Aleph has backed me up. When JeenLeen flips town, that puts a target on both wolves heads, and the ones who ensured that's how things would go down is...us? Why??? Why would we risk both our necks on one play when we've got this much raw power to work with? Remember, in this "what if", totadile is a trustworthy townie who has confirmed how powerful I am, unlike the previous one where I know we're telling the truth but town can't know for sure.

Spoiler: AV/"someone else" wolf team
    Show
    In this theory totadil is confirming my powers even though we're not explicitly in cahoots, and Aleph is confirming that Light is evil even though we're not in cahoots. Unless Aleph is a neutral doing this for ****s and giggles, then if I'm a wolf, then the only real remaining option is JeenLeen, who I have thrown under the bus for basically no reason, and I got phenomenally lucky by saying "JeenLeen is Light Yagami and just tried to kill me", in that there's an actual townie who's powers are "screw light yagami" (which I couldn't have known was true when I bussed them). Even this option, the most reasonable of the three, 1) means that JeenLeen is guilty, and 2) is extremely contrived from what I can see.

Spoiler: JeenLeen/Aleph Null
    Show
    We all thought it as soon as we saw it:

If you flip town AND Light Yagami, then yes. But I seriously doubt that will happen, unless Unavenger lied to me in my role description. Who knows, maybe they did.

The "fluff" is that I'm a dragon whose family was killed by one of Light's ancestors, and I came to see said ancestor dead...only to realize that it was his descendant (in this case Light) here instead. But I know he's evil.
    That first exchange of three posts feels like a clumsy distancing attempt, particularly since (and I'm not the only one who's said this) if JeenLeen is scum, everything since he got called out is an attempt to muddy the water. Aleph piggybacks onto my JeenLeen wagon, claiming that they have absolute knowledge that Light Yagami specifically is scum (note: if you're scumbuddies with somebody, that would constitute such absolute knowledge, so this isn't technically a lie). JeenLeen flips scum, I'm trustworthy for life, and Aleph rides my coattails and slinks back into obscurity while I take all the spotlight. The strongest support for this theory, in my mind, is that fourth quote, where wolf!Aleph:

1) tries to dissuade any nightvigs from "wasting" their kill on him.
    2) claims a nightkill that can't affect non-Light players - maybe so that if somebody asks him why he targeted somebody with a kill power last night, he can say "its okay it wouldn't have worked on them" (even though what really happened in this scenario is that their target was baned).
    3) claims a nightkill that can't affect non-Light players so that we have at least a slight argument to not lynch JeenLeen today ("we don't have to waste the real lynch on him, I'll use my night-kill that literally can't hurt anybody else").

I don't think this is likely (it feels like Aleph putting a decent spotlight on themselves), but I'm going to keep it in mind going forward if JeenLeen flips scum.

Spoiler: JeenLeen/Captain Cap
    Show
    I'm really doubtful of this one, tbh. This is wolves seeing that three townies have rather strong powers, one of whom is aware of the extent of all three and thinks they're roughly equivalent-ish, and wolf!Cap decides that the best course of action is to convince the other 4 townies that those three townies are actually overly powerful? And now Aleph Null is also claiming some pretty involved powers? Honestly the biggest issue with any of the power claims besides JeenLeen's is that the only dead person is Cao, who was a basic town voider with no frills.

But anyway, I don't see Captain Cap sticking his neck out like this, especially considering he proposed a plan that would potentially screw town out of two powerful players, and that particular aspect of this particular plan had already been discussed? Like really, either Captain Cap is absolutely scrambling even though 4 of the 7 townies are all calling his wolfbuddy Jeen out, or Cap is just a paranoid towny who doesn't trust that the game is going this well for town on D2. I'll lynch Captain Cap if people really want me to, but I'm really uncomfortable killing him without more solid evidence.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #205

Planetar

3 people are going to be targeted here's my two cents.

People to Target
    Jeenleen
    Captain Cap

They are the people who others want to execute. Jeenleen is far more of an obvious answer then captain cap.

People who can be swung one way or another.
    Xihirli
    Elenna
    Book Wombat
    Apogee1

Not actually critical on these people some I'm hesitant to lynch due to town-reads, they just haven't proven they shouldn't be targeted either.

People Who aren't a good idea to target.
    Totadileplayz
    Aleph Null

Why do these people belong on the not a good idea to target list? Because they are the ones who have the day-vig abilities along With Aleph Null who has stuck his neck out and is far better to stave off until tomorrow.

Is this repeating what everyone else has said? Yes it definitely is just reiterating so I can better see the other people we could possibly execute along with the two town seems to want to.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

I disagree about Cap and Aleph, but I've just gone into that so I'll let you read and reply.

My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #207

Planetar

I mean the main reason I mentioned the immune to night kills bit is because if Light dies and there's only one mafia member left, the only way for town to lose is if I get lynched. Which is a pretty good case for not lynching me (again assuming you believe that I'm not just bandwagoning, but note that I would have posted my claim earlier if I had been online and not asleep LOL)

28. - Top - End - #208

Planetar

I disagree about Cap and Aleph, but I've just gone into that so I'll let you read and reply.
    Aleph Null's analysis assuming Jeen Leen is town he's scum. Assuming he's scum he's still not cleared. Yeah why shouldn't we day-vig him? It seems like a good bet. Captain cap being the last one, until more promising evidence pops up.

That being said I don't see any evidence that screams fallacious in your analysis, and frankly speaking I loved the humourous tone of my co-OP with yeah.

- - - Updated - - -

Fortunately for y'all, I'm no wolf, and I'm pretty sure tot isn't either. 75% sure, or thereabout.[/spoiler]
    Also seeing as how the average likelihood of someone being town is about 77.7 repeating this means that she suspects me to be less likely to be town then the average person. Seeing as how that's the case.

What are team combos you could see for me?

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I can think of for myself.

Hypothetically Jeenleen is the other wolf buddy. Since he's the most likely person due to repeated conjectures and pointed fingers from several sources. Avatarvecna is an op Townie who I have wanted to snuggle up to to ensure that no one really suspects me even though I have definitely made my noob town role-playing absolutely impeccable. This allows me to survive for another night and target someone with my night kill. Town is unlikely to suspect me, though they may lynch avatarvecna if that is the case I simply act as a tertiary day-lynch for the final time tomorrow. Now of course Aleph is likely dead because of his distancing today by this point. And by the end of day 3 where there were once 9 town with 2 wolves we are down to at most 2 town with one wolf. All I need to have done therefore is kill someone on either one of those nights to ensure I win. Even if I didn't due to my continued townish play. And my necessity for ensuring that the last wolf dies, I will likely be able to get a town dead, with another town's help. Town likely loses unless they can find out everything I've done until now is just an act.

Jeenleen not being my team mate makes this just an incredibly lucky turn for me as we are even stronger the next day.

Did I do that right?

29. - Top - End - #209

Planetar

Trying to analyze everyone else's moves. Jeenleen has to be scum it makes no sense for them not to be.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Trying to analyze everyone else's moves. Jeenleen has to be scum it makes no sense for them not to be.
    Yeah this

It would require like, concerted effort from two people

And one to outright lie to get him killed.

Also like, since it seems he's a dayvig what scum would bus the dayvig here lol.

Though not because he claimed beast (well, maybe because of when he claimed beast but not the beast claim if that makes sense).

Is it like a meta thing here the beasts are normally bad because like, vengeful is a totally normal town role offsite imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Totadileplayz I can't speak for AV

But she indicated the same thought I have

Which is its totally within range for Aleph to be a fakeclaim