New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

Spoiler: colour list
    Show
    [*] Eggplant? Purple, Quite Dark, leans slightly cool IMO and usually with high saturation. [*] Wenge? Near Black Brown. Not sure full source but highly stained but not fully ebonized wood get this name. [*] Royal Blue? Very old - Indigo. Somewhat later was a lighter high intensity shade between indigo and cerulean esp in France[*] Coquelicot? ... huh got me [*] Taupe? Beige-grey [*] Malachite? Green. Actual shade is silly as it is taken from a stone most noteworthy for having multi-tonal bands of green colour. [*] Primrose? (No, it's not pink) a soft light blue. I generally think of it somewhat between "powder blue" and sky.[*] Cobalt? Strong blue that matches the Cobalt oxide tone. Most commonly found in various glazes and glasses. So the blue and white ceramics found all all over the world. This somewhat varies over the world due to impurities...somewhat similar to indigo/wode

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Spoiler: colour list
    Show
    [*] Eggplant? Purple, Quite Dark, leans slightly cool IMO and usually with high saturation. [*] Wenge? Near Black Brown. Not sure full source but highly stained but not fully ebonized wood get this name. [*] Royal Blue? Very old - Indigo. Somewhat later was a lighter high intensity shade between indigo and cerulean esp in France[*] Coquelicot? ... huh got me [*] Taupe? Beige-grey [*] Malachite? Green. Actual shade is silly as it is taken from a stone most noteworthy for having multi-tonal bands of green colour. [*] Primrose? (No, it's not pink) a soft light blue. I generally think of it somewhat between "powder blue" and sky.[*] Cobalt? Strong blue that matches the Cobalt oxide tone. Most commonly found in various glazes and glasses. So the blue and white ceramics found all all over the world. This somewhat varies over the world due to impurities...somewhat similar to indigo/wode
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of those are correct, but I googled "primrose" and it's yellow, not blue. It is about that level of intensity and lightness, though.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of those are correct, but I googled "primrose" and it's yellow, not blue. It is about that level of intensity and lightness, though.
    Spoiler: response
    Show

Eh... I associate primrose with a flower. and I suck at IDing flowers. Wood, minerals, and boating knowledge gave me the rest.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Are we doing this here?
    Spoiler: Wild guesses
    Show

• Eggplant? -- Most eggplants I have seen are a dark purple, almost black, but some are white, and some a lighter shade of purple. I would presume as a color name this is slightly lighter than the almost-black eggplants.
    • Wenge? -- I'd never heard of this. As a wild guess I'd say a pale blue, as in Wedgewood pottery.
    • Royal Blue? (I anticipate discussion about the type of blue this is) A fairly saturated, very slightly dark blue.
    • Coquelicot? I'd never heard of this. I'd guess a pale octarine.
    • Taupe? A very pale brown, like a beige.
    • Malachite? It's a greenish mineral, so I'd say a slightly dark green. Other copper minerals are blue.
    • Primrose? (No, it's not pink) Most flowers come in alternative colors, so I won't speculate what was chosen here.
    • Cobalt? I've heard of cobalt blue, but it could be like cadmium, where there are different cobalt salts of different colors.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NulliusinVerba View Post
    Apropos of nothing, I loved reading some of the comments here. It was very fun to see the guesses and honestly informative to read peoples' comments about ability and bias through this medium.

Someone should do a whole thread where people just list random really obscure colours and see if people can guess what they are without Googling them. We had chartreuse and vermillion already, what about:

• Eggplant?
    • Wenge?
    • Royal Blue? (I anticipate discussion about the type of blue this is)
    • Coquelicot?
    • Taupe?
    • Malachite?
    • Primrose? (No, it's not pink)
    • Cobalt?

I'm sure there are plenty more, those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I would look up more but... that would kind of defeat the purpose of the game.

Geez. Okay, These are hard. English colour names are hard, Latin ones are much easier, since they have etymology I can guess.

Spoiler: undefined
    Show

Eggplant: sounds like a trick Question. Modern eggplants are Purple-black, while heirloom lines are, well, egg-coloured. I'm going with very dark purple.

Wenge: oh, get off. That's impossible. No guess. Moving on.

Royal Blue: Well, it's blue? A relatively deep blue. Might be interesting to see if it's different from Königsblau or bleu royal, though. Probably not that much.

Coqueliquot: French name for the Poppy? So I'd guess a vibrant red.

Taupe: eh? Sounds like a boring colour. Let's say… a type of grey or grey-brown.

Malachite: as the Mineral. Copper Carbonate... hydroxide IIRC? So something like Cu(CO2)(OH)x. Very strong green.

Primrose: geez, who knows. They have all manner of colours. There's a million variations. I would have guessed either pale yellow or pink, but from how you asked, I'm guessing not that. Uh... green? Violet?

Cobalt: elemental Cobalt is just metallic, but various salts are used as dyes and they are all blue.

Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting. I just googled Primrose and found this…

Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #97

Apropos of nothing, I loved reading some of the comments here. It was very fun to see the guesses and honestly informative to read peoples' comments about ability and bias through this medium.

Someone should do a whole thread where people just list random really obscure colours and see if people can guess what they are without Googling them. We had chartreuse and vermillion already, what about:

• Eggplant?
    • Wenge?
    • Coquelicot?
    • Taupe?
    • Malachite?
    • Cobalt?

I'm sure there are plenty more, those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I would look up more but... that would kind of defeat the purpose of the game.
    That is a fun game.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eggplant - going from the actual plant, a dark purple?
    Wenge - no idea, never heard of it
    Royal blue - a dark, saturated blue
    Coquelicot - that's the sound a rooster makes
    Taupe - some bluish grey, a hint of violet?
    Malachite - going from the mineral, some kind of green. On the bluish side, I would say.
    Primrose - if pink is out, then I have no clue
    Cobalt - a bright blue, as in 'cobalt-blue sky'

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

• Eggplant?
    • Wenge?
    • Coquelicot?
    • Taupe?
    • Malachite?
    • Cobalt?

Spoiler: My guesses
    Show

- Eggplant? Purple
    - Wenge? That's a made up word and not a color
    - Royal Blue? Purple
    - Coquelicot? Also a made up word
    - Taupe? Puke green
    - Malachite? Silver
    - Primrose? Yellow
    - Cobalt? Blue. This is the only one aside from eggplant that I feel remotely confident about.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2021-07-05 at 10:09 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Interesting. I just googled Primrose and found this…

Spoiler
    Show
    I did too, but since the question specified "not pink" I went with the second result.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Spoiler: Pesterlog
    Show
    Red? I'm colour-blind but I think I know this one

11. - Top - End - #101
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    So, I've asked everybody I know, and only 1 guy said the right answer. Most people either have spent their whole lives thinking it's green, or thought it was yellow(Some just didn't know it was a color). Is this just me and my admittedly weird friend group? Half of these guys were artists. one dude described a green painting as "vermillion". post what you thought the color was.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's red. I never knew that till 2 days ago.

Is this the Mandella effect?
    or is it just that I play pokemon, all my friends are nerds, and we thought Veridian first, and confuse Veridian with Vermillion all the time(both the cities and the color)?

Legit curious. Let's see if I'm just crazy.
    I’m guessing the greenish mixup comes from viridian.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I never played on the fat gameboy, but that didn't help me figure out what half of the colors the towns in the egion are named for were. Literally the only reason I could guess cinnabar was some kind of red was because I know what cinnamon is and Blaine's a fire trainer. Cerulean is actually a semi-uncommonly used word, so I knew it was blue. Vermillion City had Lt. Surge, so I think yellow made the most sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GravityEmblem View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The fact that Vermillion City has the Electric Gym led me to believe it was yellow. But it's actually red. I've known that for quite a while, actually. In fact, my first thought on learning it was "but...electricity is yellow!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is what I thought for a long time, Vermillion Gym was Lt. Surge, so Vermillion must be yellow. I had to learn that Vermillion was red later in life.

On the other hand, Cerulean was one of my favorite crayons and I used it all the time - it was my favorite blue.

BUT I didn't play Pokemon until Gold and Silver. I watched the anime before that, so I had no clue all the towns were color names. I knew Cerulean was, but thought nothing of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The red green show?
    I've never met anybody else who knows The Red Green Show, so this is very exciting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I google what Chartreuse is every time I heard the word.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's between yellow and green.
    I had an interesting experience once where I was trying to find a quote from Cyberchase. I remembered THE Hacker wanting a fog or something he was spreading to be puce, his favorite color, but his minions misheard him and used chartreuse. "Chartreuse? I wanted Puce!"
    Now I might have misremembered all of that, but I came across a group of people who were arguing which was chartreuse and which was puce. Interesting times.
    Last edited by Penguinator; 2021-07-25 at 05:15 PM.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post

I've never met anybody else who knows The Red Green Show, so this is very exciting for me.
    We're all in this together.

As for vermillion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kind of halfway between red and orange. Not red-orange or orange-red either, in my mental picture it has a rusty-brown tone to it.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2021-07-28 at 09:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104

Zombie

Spoiler: Vermillion pillars
    Show
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That's actually a very easy question because of my native language, but the reasoning for it being easy actually brought me to think quite a lot about latin languages. You see, "red" is "vermelho" in Portuguese, which makes the question really easy for us. Usually, Spanish, French and Italian would have similar words, but nope, they've got "rojo", "rouge" and "rosso". That brings another layer of linguistic fun as you learn that the Portuguese word "roxo", which is kinda similar to those three words, means "purple", and "rosa", similar to the Italian "rosso", is "pink". And purple, again, has completely different names for all 4 languages ("roxo" in Portuguese, "púrpura" in Spanish, "mauve" in French and "viola" in Italian). So yeah, romance languages are similar, but apparently not so much. Then again, "púrpura", "pourpre" and "porpora" are also names for purple in Portuguese, French and Italian respectively. So yeah, there's that.

By the way, the image that comes to my mind reading "vermillion" is actually orange, for Pokémon reasons. So in the end that wasn't a very easy question. At all.
    Last edited by Spider_Jerusalem; 2021-07-29 at 11:14 AM.
    Proud member of fan club.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Here is my guess
    Show
    I didn't check the internet, but I guess it's some type of purple.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it might be some shade of red?

18. - Top - End - #108

Spoiler
    Show
    Have known it's red for like... 20+ years. Once you've done color-theory and such in art school, as well as more advanced color-names, you learn to recognize specific shades of a color. Artists tend to be ones who are very picky and peculiar about correct color-naming (why else do you think off-white and beige have so many colors in-between with many different names?).

Also in the Chinese constellations, you have the four symbols that are Azure Dragon, White Tiger, Black Tortoise, and Vermillion Bird, which represents the element of fire and is depicted as a red pheasant-like bird. So another point for people into mythology stuff.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

19. - Top - End - #109

Beholder

Spoiler
    Show
    Orange is my guess.
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2021-10-04 at 12:26 PM.