New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

So, I've asked everybody I know, and only 1 guy said the right answer. Most people either have spent their whole lives thinking it's green, or thought it was yellow(Some just didn't know it was a color). Is this just me and my admittedly weird friend group? Half of these guys were artists. one dude described a green painting as "vermillion". post what you thought the color was.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's red. I never knew that till 2 days ago.

Is this the Mandella effect?
    or is it just that I play pokemon, all my friends are nerds, and we thought Veridian first, and confuse Veridian with Vermillion all the time(both the cities and the color)?

Legit curious. Let's see if I'm just crazy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's red? Or reddish-brown? The etymology might be connected to vermis, so I'm assuming it's an insect-based pigment, like cochineal carmine.

Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's red? Or reddish-brown? The etymology might be connected to vermis, so I'm assuming it's an insect-based pigment, like cochineal carmine.

Spoiler
    Show
    you're right, although the fact that you didn't know for sure tells me that your just an amazing deductive reasoner. I'm suitably impressed both with your logic and your knowledge of etymology

4. - Top - End - #4
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Spoiler
    Show
    Scarlet. It's sometimes used to describe the color of blood or maybe just the color of blood in artwork.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    you're right, although the fact that you didn't know for sure tells me that your just an amazing deductive reasoner. I'm suitably impressed both with your logic and your knowledge of etymology
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, I'm cheating. I'm an entomologist, so insect-derrived pigments are part of my job.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    purplish red?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure from memory that Vermillion is a shade of red. Vermeil in french is a flesh pinkish red. While the ethymology make one think of 'vermis' which could hint at the cochenille, though the pigment coming from the cochenille is called 'carmine' in english. In fact unuisre if Vermillon, Vermeil and Carmine may be the same, langage barrier and all....
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2021-03-15 at 12:13 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Vermillion is an orangy red colour.

I had some vermillion painting ink once.

This one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winsor-Newt...5829030&sr=8-1

The image of the ink bottle was huge for some reason.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-03-15 at 12:28 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure it is some kind of red, possibly close to crimson? I remember because we once had to do presentations about songs in school and a classmate chose Vermillion by Slipknot.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: stuff
    Show
    Red.
    Crayola Vermillion IIRC tends to lean an orange-red
    Classic Bug Vermillion again IIRC tended to be the Caucasian scalebug not the Mexican (also pre-tin boosting) and was thus "lighter" than the portugese/med stuff which tended more purple/brown tone of red...but that could just be a fastness/mordent issue.
    But with some bad tranlations some was also the mercury red with marketing issues.

EDIT: I may have a book on the history of red dye on my shelf that I'm tapping the memory of
    Last edited by sktarq; 2021-03-15 at 12:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Spoiler: probly wrong
    Show
    The only firm reference I have for the term is in reference to a silvery crown with red jewels, iirc, so I thought it was red.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    First instinct was red, but then I started wondering whether it wouldn't be some kind of green instead. I'm wondering about where the association with green comes from now.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    First instinct was red, but then I started wondering whether it wouldn't be some kind of green instead. I'm wondering about where the association with green comes from now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The red green show?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

This is very unfair since I'm colorblind and I quite literally wouldn't know what vermillion was if it came up and bit me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Based solely on the name, I'd guess greenish? I'm assuming it's from a romantic source which tends to have "ver" ish words being green.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #15

GreataxeFighterGirl

Spoiler
    Show

Hmm, first instinct is orange...is it a bright red? Like, neon-traffic light red?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Spoiler: Vermillion
    Show
    A bright red, trending towards orange
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    This is very unfair since I'm colorblind and I quite literally wouldn't know what vermillion was if it came up and bit me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Based solely on the name, I'd guess greenish? I'm assuming it's from a romantic source which tends to have "ver" ish words being green.
    Spoiler
    Show
    you and me both buddy. Exact same reasons.

It is official, I'm just dumb. Because only like, 1 other dude got it wrong. I blame the fact that at least one of you was an entomologist and I suspect I was answered by at least 1 art degree, and perhaps a linguist.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Don't really need to be a linguist; a lot of red things in media are referred to as vermillion (typically phoenixes and similarly fire related stuff).

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Don't really need to be a linguist; a lot of red things in media are referred to as vermillion (typically phoenixes and similarly fire related stuff).
    Today I learned I don't read about a lot of fire-related stuff.

20. - Top - End - #20

Zombie

It's red. When I learned the word, I also learned what it meant, just like every other color word. I'm curious how you even learn the word "vermillion" (or "scarlet", "crimson", "carnelian", etc.) without being shown a picture of it or being told that it means "red".
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Seriously, never once have I consciously noticed it in descriptions of red things. Clearly it's there, and I now realise that I often confused it with veridian, but I read a lot of books and I must have just passed over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    It's red. When I learned the word, I also learned what it meant, just like every other color word. I'm curious how you even learn the word "vermillion" (or "scarlet", "crimson", "carnelian", etc.) without being shown a picture of it or being told that it means "red".
    Because I learn via reading? And the first time I saw it it was likely on something that could have been either? The same way anyone doesn't know things 100% I imagine. Very few colors do I actually look up when I first see them written. Many times context clues give it away. This is actually how I learned it was red: a books context clues.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Case in point, I still have no idea what chartreuse looks like. As far as I'm concerned it only exists in fiction.

23. - Top - End - #23

I google what Chartreuse is every time I heard the word. Before googling today, I sort of had an idea in my head it was something between grey and violet. Something like this.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not. It's between yellow and green.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There are also a fair number of colors that computers render differently then natural light, so looking up a color might not actually be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

25. - Top - End - #25

Case in point, I still have no idea what chartreuse looks like. As far as I'm concerned it only exists in fiction.
    Back when my dad was alive, on rare occasion he would enjoy going on about the single worst movie he ever saw, The Chartreuse Caboose. To the point that I can't ever think of anyone else when I hear that word.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I google what Chartreuse is every time I heard the word. Before googling today, I sort of had an idea in my head it was something between grey and violet. Something like this.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not. It's between yellow and green.
    I'm glad I'm not alone in my color disparity then. For what it's worth, I wouldn't have known where to start with Chartreuse.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    You might be remembering viridian, which is a kind of green.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #28

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    I'm glad I'm not alone in my color disparity then. For what it's worth, I wouldn't have known where to start with Chartreuse.
    It's a type of French liqueur with a distinctive color. The color is named after it.
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

A shade of orange, based on nothing other than that Vermilion City in the first-generation Pokémon games was associated with the colour orange.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Definitely some shade of red, but I'm not sure exactly which. I can thank VVVVVV, the indie game, for teaching me this (all of the crewmembers are named after the color they're drawn as).

I feel like asking the kind of people who frequent a D&D/webcomic internet forum is probably a major selection bias of some kind, though. That's very much not a random sample of the population, and I feel like almost everyone here knowing might say more about this forum than your friend group.