A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

Quote Originally Posted by Rynael View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Definitely some shade of red, but I'm not sure exactly which. I can thank VVVVVV, the indie game, for teaching me this (all of the crewmembers are named after the color they're drawn as).

I feel like asking the kind of people who frequent a D&D/webcomic internet forum is probably a major selection bias of some kind, though. That's very much not a random sample of the population, and I feel like almost everyone here knowing might say more about this forum than your friend group.
    True, but I A, am just curious and in no way conducting a proper survey for analyses, and B, have no social media other than this site and don't want to ever be forced to do so for fear of the normal people.

well, this site and youtube. but that's not exactly social.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a reddish orange - I know because after Digimon Tamers, I got really into the Four Symbols stuff in east Asian astrology, and one is the Vermillion Bird.

I'm guessing, having not yet gone back and checked the spoilered posts, that this is a common reason people know this word.

EDIT: Turns out I'm totally wrong - y'all are not nearly as big of weabs as I was at 13.
    Last edited by quinron; 2021-03-15 at 08:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by jinjitsu View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a reddish orange - I know because after Digimon Tamers, I got really into the Four Symbols stuff in east Asian astrology, and one is the Vermillion Bird.

I'm guessing, having not yet gone back and checked the spoilered posts, that this is a common reason people know this word.

EDIT: Turns out I'm totally wrong - y'all are not nearly as big of weabs as I was at 13.
    Nah, at least 2 of us knew it from pokemon. I did too but never placed the color.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Initially my mind was blank.
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    First serious thought to colour was a shade or purple, but then I started to wonder about a greenish/purple.

Now I'll go back and look at what other people have said!

5. - Top - End - #35

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    Initially my mind was blank.
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    First serious thought to colour was a shade or purple, but then I started to wonder about a greenish/purple.

Now I'll go back and look at what other people have said!
    Isn't that the description of octarine, the colour of magic in Discworld?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jinjitsu View Post
    Isn't that the description of octarine, the colour of magic in Discworld?
    "a fluorescent greenish yellow-purple" (as described in the colour of magic). I'm a big Discworld fan... that might have coloured my thinking! As a figure painter, I'm now realising that I should have known the right colour from the start. There's a good chance there's a tube, or paint jar of Vermilion in my collection.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    There are also a fair number of colors that computers render differently then natural light, so looking up a color might not actually be helpful.
    To be fair, natural light isn't an uniform thing either, stuff looks different depending on the weather. but yeah, it's true that computers, being limited to expressing everything with floating numbers can't process the full color spectrum.

Combine both and you get funny stuff like that black-blue/white-gold debacle which proves that people's very brains don't even see colour the same.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's a shade of deep purple towards red, but I could be wrong.

oh, well, fell right into that trap. And yeah, I'm on the Pokemon team.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2021-03-16 at 04:49 AM.

"Summon a Strong Monster, and you're good for an encounter. Learn how to Planar Bind a Strong Monster, and you'll never have to worry about an encounter for the rest of your Adventuring Days."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    It's a type of French liqueur with a distinctive color. The color is named after it.
    Indeed. It also as a pretty distinctive tast too. (very vegetal and sweet.)
    Though googling you may be a bit confused because nowadays the alcohol comes into two colors, a yellow one and a green one (which is a pretty deep green). But the color is defintively a yellow green. Closer to yellow in my opinion.
    https://color.bougeret.fr/colors/name/1369.svg
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2021-03-16 at 05:51 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    It's a type of French liqueur with a distinctive color. The color is named after it.
    So I'm the only on who thought "isn't that a breed of cat named after a French city"? So naturally thought chartreuse was kinda blue-grey.

Edit: No I was thinking of Chartres, nice cathedral, no cats 5/10 (yes I been there once, my mom had onion soup she never stops talking about).
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2021-03-16 at 07:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I google what Chartreuse is every time I heard the word. Before googling today, I sort of had an idea in my head it was something between grey and violet. Something like this.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not. It's between yellow and green.
    When I see or hear "Chartreuse", I always think of the Don Rosa comic where they search for mysterious in the woods. Otherwise I would also have expected some kind of grey/violet, for some reason. But my perception of words is always coloured (haha) by my mild synaesthesia.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    So I'm the only on who thought "isn't that a breed of cat named after a French city"? So naturally thought chartreuse was kinda blue-grey.

Edit: No I was thinking of Chartres, nice cathedral, no cats 5/10 (yes I been there once, my mom had onion soup she never stops talking about).
    Chartreux is actually a french cat breed, with a bluish-grey coat. Maybe that's where my colour association came from? All things chartreuse seem to be named after the Chartreuse Mountains in France and the monastery located there.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    When I see or hear "Chartreuse", I always think of the Don Rosa comic where they search for mysterious in the woods. Otherwise I would also have expected some kind of grey/violet, for some reason. But my perception of words is always coloured (haha) by my mild synaesthesia.

Chartreux is actually a french cat breed, with a bluish-grey coat. Maybe that's where my colour association came from? All things chartreuse seem to be named after the Chartreuse Mountains in France and the monastery located there.
    Yes. That was my point. I thought it was named for Chartres. But it's not, as you say from mountains/monastery. Chartres doesn't have Chartreux cats and I find that to be a severe deficiency.

13. - Top - End - #43

Funny, my earliest memory of 'chartreuse' comes from a late 80's educational pc game, but I definitively associate it with the translucent bits in Lego's Magnetron sets.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Is it cheating that my color palette literally has a color labeled vermilion?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because it's slightly brownish red and called "vermilion red".
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Yes. That was my point. I thought it was named for Chartres. But it's not, as you say from mountains/monastery. Chartres doesn't have Chartreux cats and I find that to be a severe deficiency.
    Ah, I misunderstood.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

All the Pokémon people flexing that they didn't have the fat Game Boy. You know what color Vermillion City was for me? Green. Same for Fushia City, and Celadon City, and Saffron City, and...
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroţila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Answer, plus extra
    Show
    It's red.

I actually remember the first time I encountered the term. It was in a Nintendo Power guide to Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, the third stage of which is titled - no joke - Vermilion Horror. And in the typical videogame world hierarchy of grassland forest water world ice world etc., this was the volcano level. As in, fire. As in, red. So that's how I first encountered the word, and the association I have.

A more recent illustration from a few years ago is when I was memorialized as a Greater Deity here. Note the character's name - Vermeil, as in the Latin for red. Vermeil, as in vermilion.

So, yeah. I know this one, thanks.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

18. - Top - End - #48

Griffon

Orange-red

19. - Top - End - #49

Zombie

I associate "vermillion" with the "lucky red" painted on Asian palaces and temples, like torii gates, temple pillars, or the walls of the Forbidden City. The color is named after the physical pigment traditionally used to make that paint color.
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Colossus in the Playground

Vermeil, as in the Latin for
    Spoiler
    Show
    red
    . Vermeil, as in vermilion.
    Uh, are you sure? Never heard that as a Latin word, and -eil doesn't look like a Latin ending. French, maybe? The Latin root is Vermis, worm.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-03-16 at 05:07 PM.
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Uh, are you sure? Never heard that as a Latin word, and -eil doesn't look like a Latin ending. French, maybe? The Latin root is Vermis, worm.
    Correct. Red in Latin is ruber and vermeil is indeed French for vermillion.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-03-17 at 01:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well... I know that one, but can't be too proud of it...

Spoiler
    Show
    "Red" in my native language (Portuguese) is "Vermelho", so "Vermillion" being the name of some shade of red has always been pretty intuitive for me.

Same way I remember Viridian as green (Verde) and Azure as blue (Azul).

Does that count as cheating?
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2021-03-17 at 11:48 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

After reading this topic, I feel ashamed. I though vermillion was a shade of

Spoiler
    Show

Purple. Even worse to find out its my favorite shade of red and the one I like to wear. the most
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

24. - Top - End - #54

MindFlayer

I thought Vermillion was
    Spoiler: my best guess
    Show
    the orangey-red color of cinnabar.

25. - Top - End - #55

I’ve generally thought of it as a shade of
    Spoiler: Color
    Show
    red.
    LGBTitp

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: It's
    Show
    bright red, historically derived from cochenile pigment
    , but I'm cheating - I knew this from the middle school.

Green is verdigris, the words share the beginning, and you can conflate them if they aren't in your active lexicon.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I always assumed it was one of those blue-green colors. I did click your spoiler to see out of curiosity, but fair's fair, I'll fess up to my initial guess.

Probably based on the fact that there was a Lake Vermillion near where I grew up, and I just always assumed that the color would be a lake kind of color.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    So, I've asked everybody I know, and only 1 guy said the right answer. Most people either have spent their whole lives thinking it's green, or thought it was yellow(Some just didn't know it was a color). Is this just me and my admittedly weird friend group? Half of these guys were artists. one dude described a green painting as "vermillion". post what you thought the color was.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's red. I never knew that till 2 days ago.

Is this the Mandella effect?
    Okay, will answer before reading others. Will edit if super-redundant...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I always thought of it as "70's red, to go along with all the beige, rust, avocado, harvest gold, mustard yellow, etc." I guess it's not actually considered one of the iconic 70's colors, but I was thinking of the right shade.

I don't know if I'd call it a Mandela effect. I think there's something of a meme out there that people don't know what Chartreuse, Fuchsia, Mauve, Puce, Taupe, or Vermillion looks like (or thought that melange is a color), and it becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy (because one focuses on the color out of that list that one didn't know).
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-03-19 at 01:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Okay, will answer before reading others. Will edit if super-redundant...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I always thought of it as "70's red, to go along with all the beige, rust, avocado, harvest gold, mustard yellow, etc." I guess it's not actually considered one of the iconic 70's colors, but I was thinking of the right shade.

I don't know if I'd call it a Mandela effect. I think there's something of a meme out there that people don't know what Chartreuse, Fuchsia, Mauve, Puce, Taupe, or Vermillion looks like (or that melange is a color), and it becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy (because one focuses on the color out of that list that one didn't know).
    Spoiler
    Show
    I will say, speaking french probably help a lot here seeing a lot of those colors are french words. (except Fushia who comes from German and technically, amusingly enough, Vermillon, tho it still does comme from Vermeille so close enough ).
    Even if not necessarily world for colors, there's at least one Proper noun (Fuchs is the name of a German botanist) after which, yes, the flower and then color was named, two animals, Taupe means mole in french and Puce means Flea and a liquor. And Mauve is well, Mauve, tho it does come, like the fushia, from a latin name for a plant: Malva, whose petals are, yes, Mauve. (Okay I'll be honnest, this one, I had to google.) Ethymology Etymology is fun
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2021-03-21 at 07:25 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I will say, speaking french probably help a lot here seeing a lot of those colors are french words. (except Fushia who comes from German and technically, amusingly enough, Vermillon, tho it still does comme from Vermeille so close enough ).
    Even if not necessarily world for colors, there's at least one Proper noun (Fuchs is the name of a German botanist) after which, yes, the flower and then color was named, two animals, Taupe means mole in french and Puce means Flea and a liquor. And Mauve is well, Mauve, tho it does come, like the fushia, from a latin name for a plant: Malva, whose petals are, yes, Mauve. (Okay I'll be honnest, this one, I had to google.) Ethymology is fun
    Ethymology being, naturally, the study of the origin of nouns while drunk.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.