A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 109
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a distinct red/orange. See example in the link, I've been there in person, definitely orange hued, less red then say blood.

    https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3915.html
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2021-03-19 at 01:15 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Ethymology being, naturally, the study of the origin of nouns while drunk.
    The study of English, you say?
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroţila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The study of English, you say?
    Ha! Nice one.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Area 51

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    vermilion is the color of fire. meaning it has color shades that transition between gold, red, orange, and near white, but mostly shifts between red and gold.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Area 51

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    Spoiler: Vermillion
    Show
    A bright red, trending towards orange
    this is near close to perfect answer

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    I'm surprised some folks didn't mention...

    "Powders and dyes! Newly arrived at great risk from the Eurasian zone! Display your love with a streak of vermilion! Highlight those eyes with a dash of rare cerulean! Powders and dyes!"
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2020

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Easy for me, I have caught many vermillion snapper fishing in the gulf of mexico. Although, to be honest I had no idea it was a color.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Right behind you

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Spoiler
    Show
    It sounds like it ought to be green, probably due to the "vert" in there, but I feel like I vaguely remember it being red.

    So I'll go with red

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Spoiler: Answer
    Show
    It's red, and I was always fairly well-aware of that as far as I can remember.
    Spoiler: Why do people get it wrong in the same way as each other?
    Show
    "Viridian" means green, and is probably a far better-known or better-half-known word, or at least there's a decent chance. "Vər-_ən, where - is a strong syllable and _ is a weak syllable, is easy to get mixed up if you half-remember something.
    Spoiler: The Mandela Effect
    Show
    Isn't real. People's memories just fail in predictable ways.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2021

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Spoiler: Answer
    Show
    I think it is red
    The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention
    One of the best methods to show purity is rice purity test

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Washington
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Spoiler
    Show
    I remember that it has a dark red color.
    If you can’t be good, be careful.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2021

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    So, I've asked everybody I know, and only 1 guy said the right answer. Most people either have spent their whole lives thinking it's green, or thought it was yellow(Some just didn't know it was a color). Is this just me and my admittedly weird friend group? Half of these guys were artists. one dude described a green painting as "vermillion". post what you thought the color was.

    Spoiler
    Show
    It's red. I never knew that till 2 days ago.


    Is this the Mandella effect?
    or is it just that I play pokemon, all my friends are nerds, and we thought Veridian first, and confuse Veridian with Vermillion all the time(both the cities and the color)?

    Legit curious. Let's see if I'm just crazy.
    Red, I believe.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2021

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Though I used to think it was purple for some reason.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Russia, Siberia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    Spoiler: Why do people get it wrong in the same way as each other?
    Show
    "Viridian" means green, and is probably a far better-known or better-half-known word, or at least there's a decent chance. "Vər-_ən, where - is a strong syllable and _ is a weak syllable, is easy to get mixed up if you half-remember something.
    Spoiler: Alternative
    Show
    "Verdigris" is also a popular word, and it's that green patina forming on corroding copper, and the color of said patina.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigako View Post
    Spoiler: Alternative
    Show
    "Verdigris" is also a popular word, and it's that green patina forming on corroding copper, and the color of said patina.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Or just "Verdant"


    Also: submitted without comment: Vermilion Cliffs national monument
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-05-07 at 11:44 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Or just "Verdant"


    Also: submitted without comment: Vermilion Cliffs national monument
    Spoiler: More on why people get it wrong
    Show
    Yeah, I suspect that all these Vir-/Ver- words (which of course come from a fairly obvious root word meaning green, whereas I couldn't tell you the etymology of vermillion offhand) add to the confusion.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Vermillion and chartreuse are each the color most people (including me) think of first when they hear the other's name.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

    Most pronouns are fine for me. Just don't try to mix them.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SaintRidley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The land of corn

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    It's red. When I learned the word, I also learned what it meant, just like every other color word. I'm curious how you even learn the word "vermillion" (or "scarlet", "crimson", "carnelian", etc.) without being shown a picture of it or being told that it means "red".
    Pokemon's Kanto region is literally the only context I have ever encountered the word vermillion in, and at no point would I have guessed red.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Pokemon's Kanto region is literally the only context I have ever encountered the word vermillion in, and at no point would I have guessed red.
    Seconded. In fact, every city in Pokémon was green. It was a lovely green palet, being as I had an OG Gameboy and all.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroţila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SaintRidley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The land of corn

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Seconded. In fact, every city in Pokémon was green. It was a lovely green palet, being as I had an OG Gameboy and all.
    I never played on the fat gameboy, but that didn't help me figure out what half of the colors the towns in the egion are named for were. Literally the only reason I could guess cinnabar was some kind of red was because I know what cinnamon is and Blaine's a fire trainer. Cerulean is actually a semi-uncommonly used word, so I knew it was blue. Vermillion City had Lt. Surge, so I think yellow made the most sense to me.

    To be honest, the only reason I knew half the towns in Kanto were named for colors at all was the fact that the game kind of drives that home and makes it clear through puns like Pallet(te) town pointing the way. Doesn't mean there's more than two or three towns in there game where I could actually accurately guess the actual color that goes with the word, though.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2021

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    So, I've asked everybody I know, and only 1 guy said the right answer. Most people either have spent their whole lives thinking it's green, or thought it was yellow(Some just didn't know it was a color). Is this just me and my admittedly weird friend group? Half of these guys were artists. one dude described a green painting as "vermillion". post what you thought the color was.

    Spoiler
    Show
    It's red. I never knew that till 2 days ago.


    Is this the Mandella effect?
    or is it just that I play pokemon, all my friends are nerds, and we thought Veridian first, and confuse Veridian with Vermillion all the time(both the cities and the color)?

    Legit curious. Let's see if I'm just crazy.
    No Google, off the top of my head: Red? I think of it as a maroony-red.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Aedilred's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bristol
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Spoiler
    Show
    I had long thought of it as a reddish-pink purple but realised a few years ago that it's actually red.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

    Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    A tempest in a teacup
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Spoiler
    Show
    The fact that Vermillion City has the Electric Gym led me to believe it was yellow. But it's actually red. I've known that for quite a while, actually. In fact, my first thought on learning it was "but...electricity is yellow!"
    elephants are made of carbon




    and so are you

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Spoiler
    Show
    I've seen enough of these to know it is dark red. However, I feel like the name should be swapped to reffering to green (maybe a very deep green). I feel like the reason I know it as green is due to both "vert" being green in french, and due to veridian/vermillion sounding far too similar, and thus forever messing up my perception of colour

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Spoiler: Colors
    Show
    It's a red/orange color. I thought it was a yellow for years because of Pokemon RBY.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Seconded. In fact, every city in Pokémon was green. It was a lovely green palet, being as I had an OG Gameboy and all.
    I believe if you play it on the GBC, the cities get tinted the relevant color.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-05-25 at 11:32 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Quote Originally Posted by No1ofIntrst View Post
    I feel like the reason I know it as green is due to both "vert" being green in french, and due to veridian/vermillion sounding far too similar, and thus forever messing up my perception of colour
    "Blanche" means "to turn white" even though it starts with the same letters as "black".

    Viridian (with an i) is a bluish-green from the Latin for "green".
    Vermilion is reddish-orange, from the Latin for "worm" or "vermin" because it was made from crushed bugs.
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Myth27's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Orange

    Because of Pokemon
    Awesome custom avatar made by Ceika

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Hidden Town of Salem
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    I think vermillion is a shade of red. At least, that's what I think it is.
    Even though I am a necromancer, I am not a member of the Coven. In fact, my entire coven disbanded, so my alignment changed to Chaotic Good.

    Looking for a game of Werewolf/Mafia? Unavenger's Upick 2 is currently recruiting.
    Last Updated: September 27th, 2021 @1:49 PM

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NulliusinVerba's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    Apropos of nothing, I loved reading some of the comments here. It was very fun to see the guesses and honestly informative to read peoples' comments about ability and bias through this medium.

    Someone should do a whole thread where people just list random really obscure colours and see if people can guess what they are without Googling them. We had chartreuse and vermillion already, what about:

    • Eggplant?
    • Wenge?
    • Royal Blue? (I anticipate discussion about the type of blue this is)
    • Coquelicot?
    • Taupe?
    • Malachite?
    • Primrose? (No, it's not pink)
    • Cobalt?

    I'm sure there are plenty more, those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I would look up more but... that would kind of defeat the purpose of the game.
    Awesome Simurgh avatar by smutmulch!

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Torath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sharangar's Revenge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

    I first encountered Vermillion back in the mid eighties watch Robotech. Rick Hunter was assigned to Vermillion squadron, which had red trim.

    I always wanted vermillion to be blue.

    I always love the line in Diamonds are Forever in the crematorium when the 'usher' says please wait by the "restful chartreuse curtains."
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-06-05 at 10:24 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •