Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    As regards #1, it would throw a serious cramp into the plans of Othar Trygvassen, Gentleman Adventurer, if everyone were a Spark.
    Do we know if killing every Spark is still Othar's plan? It was a pretty legitimate twist when that was first revealed (the silly, hammy, over-the-top hero's "quest" turning out to be a grand act of murder-suicide), but I feel like the last time it was even mentioned was in Othar's first non-airship appearance, when he basically said "Oh nevermind, I won't murder you because you're a Heterodyne and therefore a hero" (which, the more we find out about the family before the Heterodyne Boys, the less logical that declaration seems... not that Othar is burdened with an excess of logic).

Like... has it even come up since then, either in-comic or in the supplemental materials? Or have they been quietly retiring that aspect of his character to better keep him in the comic relief role at which he excels?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlipp View Post
    Do we know if killing every Spark is still Othar's plan?
    In his twitter, he occasionally expresses the desire. He probably just has higher priorities what with the Other threatening to enslave or destroy all life.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    In his twitter, he occasionally expresses the desire. He probably just has higher priorities what with the Other threatening to enslave or destroy all life.
    Yeah if there was ever a time to prioritize a specific Spark, this is that time, and Lucrezia is that Spark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Do we know if killing every Spark is still Othar's plan? It was a pretty legitimate twist when that was first revealed (the silly, hammy, over-the-top hero's "quest" turning out to be a grand act of murder-suicide), but I feel like the last time it was even mentioned was in Othar's first non-airship appearance, when he basically said "Oh nevermind, I won't murder you because you're a Heterodyne and therefore a hero" (which, the more we find out about the family before the Heterodyne Boys, the less logical that declaration seems... not that Othar is burdened with an excess of logic).
    Othar suffers more than much of the cast from being a case of Early Installment Weirdness. He makes sense in the storyline in which he was a key player, and less so the more we find out about the world. Too bad, because I really like the character. To be fair, every time they use him, they make him more of a Worf (supposed tough guy that gets defeated every time he tries to battle, supposedly nearly-invincible guy who Agatha has to save nearly every time, etc.) character. Perhaps not using him is the best way to preserve him.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Well, here's why Othar might be sympathetic to a Heterodyne - shortly before he re-appears, in fact. Thus, it makes sense for Othar to say "That's before I knew you were a Heterodyne" - because he's actually saying "that's before I knew you were Bill or Barry's kid" rather than "tha's before I knew you came from a line of truely evil sparks".

Also, in the novel the discussion in that page is expanded, and includes something like:

Quote Originally Posted by Actually, I went and got the book...
    "... I ran into a young man who I believe to be your cousin - a Master Theopholous DuMedd?"
    "You didn't do anything horrible to him, did you?"
    Othar paused, and a frown flitted across his features. "Ah, I see. No, I was unaware that he was a spark." he sighed. "What a pity ..."
    Othar is still out to wiping out all sparks, but he seems to be prioritising them, and his interest does seem to be diminishing. I suspect he met the Heterodyne boys at some point, and they had quite an effect on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    To be fair, every time they use him, they make him more of a Worf (supposed tough guy that gets defeated every time he tries to battle, supposedly nearly-invincible guy who Agatha has to save nearly every time, etc.) character. Perhaps not using him is the best way to preserve him.
    That's more his character at the beginning - later on it seems more like he gives as much as he gets. Some of the side stories are a little that way, admittedly, but not the main story.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    That's more his character at the beginning - later on it seems more like he gives as much as he gets. Some of the side stories are a little that way, admittedly, but not the main story.
    I am certainly including the side stories in my analysis. Those are where we see him the most, recently.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    She went full Galadriel.
    Who wins in that particular queenly throw-down: Albia, or Galadriel?
    Tolkien normally downplays the power of his characters precisely so Sam and the others can shine, but I think Galadriel is a better opponent than you might think at first blush.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Somebody's going to have their day ruined! HEYYYY!
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Who wins in that particular queenly throw-down: Albia, or Galadriel?
    Tolkien normally downplays the power of his characters precisely so Sam and the others can shine, but I think Galadriel is a better opponent than you might think at first blush.
    I think if its person to person, galadriel wins. She is an absurdly powerful psychic from what little I remember of her, plus I am pretty sure she is even older than albia. Though at that point I doubt experience gaps really matter. i mean, after you hit a few centuries under your belt, im not sure how much another millenium matters. Plus, galadriel has the ability to see visions of the past present and future which would surely help with planning. If albia gets to break out the sparky tech thats going to swing back REALLY fast. Plus we cant be sure precisely what albia is capable of herself aside from mind controlling her willing subjects, shapeshifting, and being able to project her power through other people.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #430

SamuraiGuy

And now we see ruins that have suddenly appeared, in a place where the ruins ought to be crumbled to dust. Could someone possibly be messing with time? #prendeslantern #theother #whocouldhaveseenthiscoming

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

And now we see ruins that have suddenly appeared, in a place where the ruins ought to be crumbled to dust. Could someone possibly be messing with time?
    That, or someone could have installed some faux-dilapidated ruins there last week (they just really like the aesthetic).

12. - Top - End - #432

SamuraiGuy

That, or someone could have installed some faux-dilapidated ruins there last week (they just really like the aesthetic).
    Lifestyles of the rich and decadent.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Some follies were actually built to give people work rather than just doling out money as a handout.

That's an awful lot of cliff there, and I'm not sure what the thing on the bottom left is - although - given the abundance of cliff - it might be the remains of a bridge to another island or a staircase up the cliff. Trouble is, by the scale, it's enormous.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

14. - Top - End - #434

Beholder

In other words: Sparks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    In other words: Sparks.
    The circus would take offense at that.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Some follies were actually built to give people work rather than just doling out money as a handout.

That's an awful lot of cliff there, and I'm not sure what the thing on the bottom left is - although - given the abundance of cliff - it might be the remains of a bridge to another island or a staircase up the cliff. Trouble is, by the scale, it's enormous.
    The thing at the bottom left looks like a shipwreck to me. You can sort of see a curve of hull planes and there's a broken stump in the center that might be a mast. Also it's on a beach that looks like the only point where you might try to find a landing point.

I wouldn't trust the scale, but ships can be quite large.
    Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

17. - Top - End - #437

Beholder

The circus would take offense at that.
    Fair.

Though they would definitly install "authentic" ruins for their show if it would improve it.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    The thing at the bottom left looks like a shipwreck to me. You can sort of see a curve of hull planes and there's a broken stump in the center that might be a mast. Also it's on a beach that looks like the only point where you might try to find a landing point.

I wouldn't trust the scale, but ships can be quite large.
    I think it says something about GG that I didn't even think of "shipwreck" and went straight to "Ruined Megaproject".

Looking back, I don't think we see many ships at all. There's some in the background here and here, but I can't recall anywhere else.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-05-09 at 05:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

Bang FTW!

Nice to see her get her turtleneck back.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My reaction was pretty much
    "Why is Krosp panicking?
    Oh.
    Yes, keeping away is probably a good idea."

Yes, this looks like a trap.
    Good thing Bang pays at least some attention.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

21. - Top - End - #441

SamuraiGuy

Two competing theories, which are not mutually exclusive.
    1. Agatha: those are authentic ruins, and someone falsified the records
    2. Krosp: those are not ancient ruins, and it's a trap

The records could have been falsified to keep people away, because weird time fluctuations occur here and it's not safe, even for Sparks.

If you had a time machine gadget, you could go back in time, find some ruins, and bring them to our time. So these ruins were constructed 4000 years ago, but have only undergone 1000 years of aging, because the time machine skipped them forward 3000 years. Why? IT'S A TRAP.

22. - Top - End - #442

Beholder

Two competing theories, which are not mutually exclusive.
    1. Agatha: those are authentic ruins, and someone falsified the records
    2. Krosp: those are not ancient ruins, and it's a trap

The records could have been falsified to keep people away, because weird time fluctuations occur here and it's not safe, even for Sparks.

If you had a time machine gadget, you could go back in time, find some ruins, and bring them to our time. So these ruins were constructed 4000 years ago, but have only undergone 1000 years of aging, because the time machine skipped them forward 3000 years. Why? IT'S A TRAP.
    Option 3: these are authentic ruins, but shifted through time.

23. - Top - End - #443

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Option 3: these are authentic ruins, but shifted through time.
    3=1+2. The ruins are authentic, but aren't ancient, and it's a trap. The records have been falsified via time-travel shenanigans making what was a correct report in 1850 incorrect in 1880.

Why didn't Bang realize that her experiences with Gil meant that they shouldn't take those ruins at face value? Now that I think about it, it's odd that Krosp sounded the alarm rather than Bang.

Also, why is Bang not setting Zeetha up to be murdered later? Instead she's hanging with Krosp.

Lastly, helmsman is imperturbable as insane cat enters the bridge insanely.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Why didn't Bang realize that her experiences with Gil meant that they shouldn't take those ruins at face value? Now that I think about it, it's odd that Krosp sounded the alarm rather than Bang.

Also, why is Bang not setting Zeetha up to be murdered later? Instead she's hanging with Krosp.
    To the first, yeah, it's not obvious why she would note that but not then be the one to mention the possibility of danger (other than the Doylist one of Krosp going nuts on the bridge being a fun interlude). Perhaps it's Bang's amazing lack of fear? She doesn't have the best survival instincts. To the later, she is, however, afraid of Agatha, who warned her in specific terms just how dead she'd be if she messed with Agatha's loved ones. As for why hang out with Krosp... no idea.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Barbarian in the Playground

To the first, yeah, it's not obvious why she would note that but not then be the one to mention the possibility of danger (other than the Doylist one of Krosp going nuts on the bridge being a fun interlude). Perhaps it's Bang's amazing lack of fear? She doesn't have the best survival instincts. To the later, she is, however, afraid of Agatha, who warned her in specific terms just how dead she'd be if she messed with Agatha's loved ones. As for why hang out with Krosp... no idea.
    She wasn't hanging out with him particularly, everybody was just looking out the windows. She laughed, which attracted his attention, and he asked for clarification.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

I get from Dupree's personality is that she is extremely confident & rarely afraid. Danger equals fun/excitement for her.

As for killing Zeetha, Bang already said she loved her, and so probably won't kill her until she gets her Tweedle Hat-rack first.
    “A long surcote of pers upon he hade, / And by his syde he baar a rusty blade.” - Chaucer

27. - Top - End - #447

ElfPirate

Well, she's used to travelling with Gil, who probably would have immediately jumped to sparky explanations and possible danger. Frankly, I'm way more surprised that Agatha and Trelawney immediately assumed a mundane explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Well, she's used to travelling with Gil, who probably would have immediately jumped to sparky explanations and possible danger. Frankly, I'm way more surprised that Agatha and Trelawney immediately assumed a mundane explanation.
    Yeah to me, its a combo of her bravery and crazy love of combat combined with adventuring with gil who probably took care of these situations when a solid stabbing wouldnt fix it. She isnt used to being in actual danger very often. So she recognizes the incoming setup but isnt worried because meh, same old same old.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah to me, its a combo of her bravery and crazy love of combat combined with adventuring with gil who probably took care of these situations when a solid stabbing wouldnt fix it. She isnt used to being in actual danger very often. So she recognizes the incoming setup but isnt worried because meh, same old same old.
    A lot of the non-Spark characters in GG are heavy on the fatalism, as if they understand on some level that no matter how hard they train and how awesome they fight eventually something they absolutely can't do jack about if going to shut up and grind them into paste. The Jaegers are really big on this, but it impacts other characters (and if the Moldy Tortoise pirates are any indication whole militarized cultures) as well, especially Dupree.

Honestly, this is a very reasonable reaction to have. There's a lot of stuff out there that only a Spark can stop. Martellus' knights, for example, were absolute elites, but they got zapped by the Storm King and that was it.
    Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

30. - Top - End - #450

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    A lot of the non-Spark characters in GG are heavy on the fatalism, as if they understand on some level that no matter how hard they train and how awesome they fight eventually something they absolutely can't do jack about if going to shut up and grind them into paste. The Jaegers are really big on this, but it impacts other characters (and if the Moldy Tortoise pirates are any indication whole militarized cultures) as well, especially Dupree.

Honestly, this is a very reasonable reaction to have. There's a lot of stuff out there that only a Spark can stop. Martellus' knights, for example, were absolute elites, but they got zapped by the Storm King and that was it.
    The entire Corbettite fortress full of things that only crazy religious fanatic fatalistic Irish monks want to deal with is an example of this. And yes, "crazy religious fanatic fatalistic Irish" may be a quintuple redundancy, at least in the Girl Genius universe. Even if the Corbettites have a lot of Sparks, they are still pretty much "sooner or later this stuff is going to kill us, isn't it?" about their job.