A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,459 of 1459
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    I think this vote is gonna be decided by vote splitting, too many different suggestions will make it hard for any but the basic one to win.

  2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    slayerx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    One possible explanation for the returning key is that someone, somewhere, has the master version, and just makes a new copy as needed. But that would be boring and not Mad Science, so let's see what really happens.
    That wouldn't work, since the people who took the copies would still have it. For the mystery to work, the key they took has to go missing as well before a key is found in the dish.

    Mad science answer? One of the previous heterodyne masters had trouble finding his keys one day and so he did the most sensible thing he could think of... he built an entire sub system into Der Kestle that's dedicated to finding and returning lost/stolen keys! Even when Der kestle was broken the sub system still kept working. People in mechnicsburgh lose their keys all the time but always eventually find them where they last left them and don't question it and thus do not notice. And the sub system always returns the guildhall key to the where the guildhall once stood
    Last edited by slayerx; 2021-10-14 at 06:22 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    I think this vote is gonna be decided by vote splitting, too many different suggestions will make it hard for any but the basic one to win.
    The rules, unofficial though they are, allow you to vote for more than one option, so there is no vote splitting as such.

    EDIT: The last discussion on the matter was on Girl Genius XXIV: Ask Vit a Bit More Terror, around pages 47-48.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-10-14 at 10:09 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    I would say Cheyenne is in his element here, keeping way from overly humanoid figures to both cover a different part of the world as well as to not have too much overlap with normal characters whom we are used to seeing in the Fogolio style.


    Egon is a most expressive fellow.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-10-15 at 12:10 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  5. - Top - End - #1445
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    I’m just thinking about how Van pulled one over on Agatha here. The Guild is one of those relics of the old Heterodynes that the Boys tried to purge, so getting her to renew it as routine paperwork that every Heterodyne has to do once is disingenuous at best, and it’s not an accident that he pulled it out when she was in a mood where she would sign it without much question.

    Granted, Agatha probably would have signed the charter anyway as long as it doesn’t license the monsters to eat children or anything. She’s generally been shown as having a little bit of “old Heterodyne” in her. Which is exactly why Van needs to be careful about pulling this sort of thing too much, lest he be turned into a spaniel.

  6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
    I’m just thinking about how Van pulled one over on Agatha here. The Guild is one of those relics of the old Heterodynes that the Boys tried to purge, so getting her to renew it as routine paperwork that every Heterodyne has to do once is disingenuous at best, and it’s not an accident that he pulled it out when she was in a mood where she would sign it without much question.

    Granted, Agatha probably would have signed the charter anyway as long as it doesn’t license the monsters to eat children or anything. She’s generally been shown as having a little bit of “old Heterodyne” in her. Which is exactly why Van needs to be careful about pulling this sort of thing too much, lest he be turned into a spaniel.
    That's not how I read it at first, but it fits Van's character surprisingly well.

    I just noticed - the monster serving at the cafe has Frianinstein's monster bolts in his neck.

    ...And I wonder - has Snackerjape just lost the key, or forgotten his wallet?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
    I’m just thinking about how Van pulled one over on Agatha here. The Guild is one of those relics of the old Heterodynes that the Boys tried to purge, so getting her to renew it as routine paperwork that every Heterodyne has to do once is disingenuous at best, and it’s not an accident that he pulled it out when she was in a mood where she would sign it without much question.

    Granted, Agatha probably would have signed the charter anyway as long as it doesn’t license the monsters to eat children or anything. She’s generally been shown as having a little bit of “old Heterodyne” in her. Which is exactly why Van needs to be careful about pulling this sort of thing too much, lest he be turned into a spaniel.
    I think Van might not have known the whole story, not as Mr Monster tells it. The Heterodynes left when Vanamonde was still very young. He was an infant when the castle was destroyed, and the Baron returned within two years, at which point the Boys had disappeared. The Jaeger were then taken by the Baron. Van is likely aware of the destruction of the fleshworks, but, for all he knows, the reconstruction of the guild might be something that had been necessary for a long time.

    That "as I understand it", if sincere, implies that he doesn't know the subject himself, and suggests that he got fed some selective info by someone else, probably Mr Monster. It's even possible that he checked past archives and found that every Heteodyne really renewed the charter, even the good ones, before they knew more about the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    slayerx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I think Van might not have known the whole story, not as Mr Monster tells it. The Heterodynes left when Vanamonde was still very young. He was an infant when the castle was destroyed, and the Baron returned within two years, at which point the Boys had disappeared. The Jaeger were then taken by the Baron. Van is likely aware of the destruction of the fleshworks, but, for all he knows, the reconstruction of the guild might be something that had been necessary for a long time.

    That "as I understand it", if sincere, implies that he doesn't know the subject himself, and suggests that he got fed some selective info by someone else, probably Mr Monster. It's even possible that he checked past archives and found that every Heteodyne really renewed the charter, even the good ones, before they knew more about the city.
    I think its most likely that Van heard about the monster guild from his grandfather. Von Mekkhan would have served under the heterodynes before the boys and thus would have known the guild and its services. The entire town supported the monster community so its likely Von Mekkhn understands that there are a lot of monsters in the world who were created by sparks, but were hated by everyone and need a place to call home.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2021-10-16 at 11:23 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #1449
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    I think its most likely that Van heard about the monster guild from his grandfather. Von Mekkhan would have served under the heterodynes before the boys and thus would have known the guild and its services. The entire town supported the monster community so its likely Von Mekkhn understands that there are a lot of monsters in the world who were created by sparks, but were hated by everyone and need a place to call home.
    The Van's grandfather probably does more than understand since wasn't that him in the flashback panel helping to lead away monsters on the page from Monday?

  10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Rinvak View Post
    The Van's grandfather probably does more than understand since wasn't that him in the flashback panel helping to lead away monsters on the page from Monday?
    Possibly - the clothes are right (old, less old, new; provided, of course, that Carson maintained the same style, and that the style isn't common in Mechanicsberg). However the face isn't the same, and I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the difference in art style. Of course, this is a still younger Carson - the oldest linked is after the destruction of the castle, not at the start of the Boy's tenureship - so Cheyenne may not have gone back to the flashback panels (or chose not to use them).

    But even without that your point stands - Carson served several of the masters.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  11. - Top - End - #1451
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    I expect that if the town, collectively, gave the monster community a haven then that means the Van Mekhans at a minimum were aware of and tolerated that haven giving. Knowing who is doing what with whom is part of the seneschal's job.

    I agree with those who say Van Mekhan does not want to overstep Agatha's tolerance for shenanigans. If the reestablishment of the monster guild causes evil things to happen, Agatha is smart enough to realize she was duped, and will not take kindly. While she may not spaniel-ize him today, she may place an order for a litter of spaniel puppies in case she needs one soon.

    I also notice that Dr. Hembelbrogg refers to "even those of us who were loyal" . Now, maybe that means some other monsters besides Guildmaster Jorbelox fought - but my take is that some of the monsters did not serve the Boys with the same loyalty as they gave the depraved Heterodynes who preceded them; that is, they were part of why the Fleshyards had such a terrible reputation. Just because someone is a member of an oppressed community does not mean they are nice people; it seems that monsters have personalities.

    We see Snakkerjape put the key in his pocket in panel 3, and then reach for it in the last panel and find it missing.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Divayth Fyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I also notice that Dr. Hembelbrogg refers to "even those of us who were loyal" . Now, maybe that means some other monsters besides Guildmaster Jorbelox fought - but my take is that some of the monsters did not serve the Boys with the same loyalty as they gave the depraved Heterodynes who preceded them; that is, they were part of why the Fleshyards had such a terrible reputation. Just because someone is a member of an oppressed community does not mean they are nice people; it seems that monsters have personalities.
    If you're referring to the 4th panel, I think he is actually saying (all) the monsters were always loyal to the Heterodynes, but were considered a part of the family's past horrors and thus attacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

  13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    "And they seemed to count us among them. We, who had ever been loyal!

    It's ambiguous, as is the whole speech.

    The boys were out to erase the old Fleshyards, and the Guild building was in there. It is clear that the boys wanted to flatten the area, but it isn't totally clear whether the Guild House was collateral damage or not. Dr Helmbelbrog obviously believes so, but he could be biased (understandably - his home was destroyed!). Though he does have the grace to note that the destruction wasn't entirely unwarrented.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  14. - Top - End - #1454
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    "And they seemed to count us among them. We, who had ever been loyal!

    It's ambiguous, as is the whole speech.

    The boys were out to erase the old Fleshyards, and the Guild building was in there. It is clear that the boys wanted to flatten the area, but it isn't totally clear whether the Guild House was collateral damage or not. Dr Helmbelbrog obviously believes so, but he could be biased (understandably - his home was destroyed!). Though he does have the grace to note that the destruction wasn't entirely unwarrented.
    Well, I misread it. "We, who had ever been loyal" is not the same as "even those of us who had been loyal". The monsters had collectively always been loyal to the Heterodyne family. Which may (probably) have included support for and participation in the old Heterodynes "playing" in the Fleshyards. 1/5 of Mechanicsburg is a pretty large area devoted to depravity, so I guess the old Heterodynes really did have large appetites for doing beyond-terrible things. And the fact that the Guildhall stood in the center of the Fleshyards suggests that the monsters were not uninvolved in the playing therein. I therefore hypothesize that the Guildhall was a target, and one important enough that Bill was willing to fight Jorbelox in order to see it destroyed.

    I wonder why Bill exited the battle clank? Or maybe Barry was the smart one in the battle clank, and Bill took the battle to the Fleshyard personally.

    I'm wondering why Dr. Helmbelbrogg makes a point of saying he witnessed Jorbelox's defiance with his right eye, not both eyes?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post

    I'm wondering why Dr. Helmbelbrogg makes a point of saying he witnessed Jorbelox's defiance with his right eye, not both eyes?
    In a world of mad science, it's not guaranteed he had both eyes on back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    If I had to guess, I'd say losing an eye in the fight is the reason he didn't fight (and die) with his old guildmaster.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Or perhaps he was using a telescope/spyglass and is very pedantic.

    In which case his left eye is dominant. Perhaps he's left-handed as well? He appears to be - he has a cane in one of his right hands, but he seems to use his left hand for gesturing, holding his hat and so on.

    Yes! He's a sinister monster!
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Or perhaps he was using a telescope/spyglass and is very pedantic.

    In which case his left eye is dominant. Perhaps he's left-handed as well? He appears to be - he has a cane in one of his right hands, but he seems to use his left hand for gesturing, holding his hat and so on.

    Yes! He's a sinister monster!
    Girl Genius 30: Sinister Monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Girl Genius 30: Sinister Monster.
    I'll add it, but with 11 posts to go tp Page 50 I don't think it has much of a chance...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; Yesterday at 05:01 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •