Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

so is that beausoleil, or just a quirk of the artist that the captain happens to look like him while sporting a similar beard?
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

2. - Top - End - #452
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Uh-oh,
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Captain is a traitor!

3. - Top - End - #453
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

And now we know why Bang didn't carry the message; Bang's response to the Captain pulling a gun would be "Let the good times roll!", followed by a brief interlude of stabbing. Krosp is considerably less lethal.

OTOH, Team Agatha is probably not completely unaware of a gunshot. The captain's betrayal will obviously not succeed in delivering our heroine & friends into the hands of the enemy.

Advice for the Captain - any plan that involves shooting your Chief Officer on the bridge in front of witnesses is likely to result in you losing your hat. It's not a good plan.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Advice for the Captain - any plan that involves shooting your Chief Officer on the bridge in front of witnesses is likely to result in you losing your hat. It's not a good plan.
    That's why he locked him in his cabin. This isn't plan A.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

5. - Top - End - #455

SamuraiGuy

That's why he locked him in his cabin. This isn't plan A.
    I'm wondering if the Chief Officer outranks the Captain. You'd think 2nd in command would be "First Mate" or "Executive Officer", not Chief Officer.
    Maybe the Chief Officer is in charge of the Marines / Redcoats?

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

I'm wondering if the Chief Officer outranks the Captain. You'd think 2nd in command would be "First Mate" or "Executive Officer", not Chief Officer.
    Maybe the Chief Officer is in charge of the Marines / Redcoats?
    Yeah did a quick dive and chief petty officer is the closest it gets to being an actual rank. Second in command is commander. Only ranks above captain would be commodore and various admiral titles. I even checked with other branches just in case there was something like a higher ranking officer from a different branch of the military but nope. And honestly, I have no effing clue how authority works in that scenario. If im a naval captain on my boat, but an army general is on board, who gives orders? Its been decades since I did basic training where im pretty sure we covered this sort of scenario but danged if I can remember. If im captain and an admiral is on board, thats easy, but a different branch of authority not in my direct line of command? If I say left and he says right, who gets obeyed? Im pretty sure the general answer is "Its complicated and depends." I THINK the general gets obeyed unless the captain is under orders from his superior in the chain fo command, so if rear admiral joe ordered me to do something but general josh said not to, my actual commanding officer's orders would supersede his but even then im unsure.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah did a quick dive and chief petty officer is the closest it gets to being an actual rank. Second in command is commander. Only ranks above captain would be commodore and various admiral titles. I even checked with other branches just in case there was something like a higher ranking officer from a different branch of the military but nope. And honestly, I have no effing clue how authority works in that scenario. If im a naval captain on my boat, but an army general is on board, who gives orders? Its been decades since I did basic training where im pretty sure we covered this sort of scenario but danged if I can remember. If im captain and an admiral is on board, thats easy, but a different branch of authority not in my direct line of command? If I say left and he says right, who gets obeyed? Im pretty sure the general answer is "Its complicated and depends." I THINK the general gets obeyed unless the captain is under orders from his superior in the chain fo command, so if rear admiral joe ordered me to do something but general josh said not to, my actual commanding officer's orders would supersede his but even then im unsure.
    If you're on your boat and you're the captain, no one onboard outranks you, regardless of actual ranks. The phrase is "sole master under God".

It doesn't mean you can do whatever you want, but that it's you who's responsible for the ship, and its crew and for leading them efficiently and safely. In a crisis, the sailors cannot afford to wonder whose orders they should listen to.

For things unrelated to ship operations, normal hierarchy rules apply, obviously.

Finally, landlubbers have no authority on sailors. A general onboard is just a VIP guest, but not part of the chain of command.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    so is that beausoleil, or just a quirk of the artist that the captain happens to look like him while sporting a similar beard?
    It does look very like him in the last frame. I doubt it, though - last time we saw him Beausoleil looked very worried about his Principals catching up with him (or at least, his true body) and granting him an award for failure.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

9. - Top - End - #459
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah did a quick dive and chief petty officer is the closest it gets to being an actual rank.
    Chief Petty Officer is the best rank in the navy, but definitely does not outrank the captain of a vessel.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

So is this guy a Revenant, in Madwa's pocket or something else?

Cime to think of it, I don't recall Snackleford having any link with the Other or the Knights of Jove. Was he the only vilain in that position?

Forum Wisdom

the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

So is this guy a Revenant, in Madwa's pocket or something else?
    I suspect the time-manipulating peoples, and I don't think we know who that is at this point. Could be anyone else who simply know it is a great way to eliminate opposition, but at this point this is my guess.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I suspect the time-manipulating peoples, and I don't think we know who that is at this point.
    It's Madwa, isn't it? She stole Prende's Lantern.

Forum Wisdom

I'll take that bet.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

It's Madwa, isn't it? She stole Prende's Lantern.
    Sure could be, or (just knowing time travel tropes) future Agatha (for reasons we'll find out later), or any one of a bunch of other options.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

I might be wrong but this airship captain looks pretty familiar to me.
    (The goate is a /tad/ different but thee's been two years in universe and some slight art develloepment in between.) The alliegance would certainely check if i's Madwa (which I agree it's likely is as that plot threat has been left dangling for a while now depite being the whole reason for this albion arc to start) As is the ... interesting style of dealing with problems and prediliction for throwing people overboard.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2021-05-12 at 07:46 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

15. - Top - End - #465
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    I might be wrong but this airship captain looks pretty familiar to me.
    (The goate is a /tad/ different but thee's been two years in universe and some slight art develloepment in between.) The alliegance would certainely check if i's Madwa (which I agree it's likely is as that plot threat has been left dangling for a while now depite being the whole reason for this albion arc to start) As is the ... interesting style of dealing with problems and prediliction for throwing people overboard.
    I don't think they're the same guy. It seems to me that that guy has significantly darker skin than the current captain.
    I'm making a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I don't think they're the same guy. It seems to me that that guy has significantly darker skin than the current captain.
    I think it's just the lightning on the page I linked that give that impression (the scene is at night), looking at pages later, when his skin is higlightedor befoe in a scene in daylightt it's definitively clearer. Though his hair are darker so yeah possibly not him.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2021-05-12 at 10:11 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

17. - Top - End - #467

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    Chief Petty Officer is the best rank in the navy, but definitely does not outrank the captain of a vessel.
    My father was a chief. They offered to make him an officer, but he decided chief suited him better.

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    I think it's just the lightning on the page I linked that give that impression (the scene is at night), looking at pages later, when his skin is higlightedor befoe in a scene in daylightt it's definitively clearer. Though his hair are darker so yeah possibly not him.
    It would not surprise me if Phil reuses art with small tweaks for minor characters. Also, that guy gave a pretty good demonstration of how a Captain deals with landlubbers trying to give him orders when the vessel is in danger. Which is the reverse of this situation, where he's insisting on putting his vessel in danger - or at least, his passengers.

The question is, can Madwa with the lantern and time to prepare still overcome Team Agatha? Violetta in particular probably can counter many of her Smoke Knight tricks.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The question is, can Madwa with the lantern and time to prepare still overcome Team Agatha? Violetta in particular probably can counter many of her Smoke Knight tricks.
    The problem is, Violetta isn't that good as a smoke knight. She's an awful lot better than she thinks she is (and even Madwa acknowledges this), but we have seen her with run of the mill smoke knights and they are better.

That, in part, is her advantage - as with Tarvek, she is a lot better than her opponents realise (well, some of them...) - but even Tarvek is worried about high-level smoke knights. Madwa has all the advantages here, and has already upgraded her opinion of Violetta.

That's not to say that Violetta won't provide a few handfuls of grit to lubricate the machinary, though. She identified Madwa's work immediately in Paris...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-05-13 at 09:54 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

It would not surprise me if Phil reuses art with small tweaks for minor characters. Also, that guy gave a pretty good demonstration of how a Captain deals with landlubbers trying to give him orders when the vessel is in danger. Which is the reverse of this situation, where he's insisting on putting his vessel in danger - or at least, his passengers.
    That would be because he wasn't a traitor the first time around. Assuming that's the same guy, which would be a bit weird since he would have needed to switch militaries.

Forum Wisdom

I'll take that bet.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That would be because he wasn't a traitor the first time around. Assuming that's the same guy, which would be a bit weird since he would have needed to switch militaries.
    He could have gotten Wasped.

Or it's a different captain who, similarly, could have gotten Wasped. Although were that the case 1) Agatha's Weasel would have reacted, and 2) I imagine more of the crew would be Wasped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #471

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    He could have gotten Wasped.

Or it's a different captain who, similarly, could have gotten Wasped. Although were that the case 1) Agatha's Weasel would have reacted, and 2) I imagine more of the crew would be Wasped.
    Yeah, I think this guy is more likely part of Ararchnae's conspiracy to overthrow Albia. Which means he's got some sort of shield from her mind reading powers - possibly the shield of avoiding being near her and not being important.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

The last time we see him at mechanicburg he is basically 6 inches from castle wulfenbach and presumably captured or shot down. There is no telling what happened next. And he HAD just basically tossed the nobleman overboard and thus betrayed the side he was on originally. Even if just to save his ship and his and his crews lives. And the baron was well known for bringing in the defeated to his side. So basically, its anyones guess what happened next.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #473
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    The problem is, Violetta isn't that good as a smoke knight. She's an awful lot better than she thinks she is (and even Madwa acknowledges this), but we have seen her with run of the mill smoke knights and they are better.

That, in part, is her advantage - as with Tarvek, she is a lot better than her opponents realise (well, some of them...) - but even Tarvek is worried about high-level smoke knights. Madwa has all the advantages here, and has already upgraded her opinion of Violetta.

That's not to say that Violetta won't provide a few handfuls of grit to lubricate the machinary, though. She identified Madwa's work immediately in Paris...
    The archive dive your post inspired led me to pulling up something I don't think anyone's mentioned yet: we've already had a mention of what is almost certainly this island by Lady Steelgarter. Who, lets us remember, financed the expedition to Skifander that brought Zeetha to Europa.

With lots and lots of time hijinks still unexplained, I'm starting to think that Agatha and Company will never get to Africa, but rather that we're going to end up in Skifander sooner rather than later, and then get a Castle Hetrodyne's worth of time and space travel shenanigans before we approach the grande finale. Maybe what they find on the island will send them to Skifanader via Africa, but it just feels like everything Madwa and those she's connected with are doing has something to do with extraordinary travel of some sort, particularly involving Skifander.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    The archive dive your post inspired led me to pulling up something I don't think anyone's mentioned yet: we've already had a mention of what is almost certainly this island by Lady Steelgarter. Who, lets us remember, financed the expedition to Skifander that brought Zeetha to Europa.

With lots and lots of time hijinks still unexplained, I'm starting to think that Agatha and Company will never get to Africa, but rather that we're going to end up in Skifander sooner rather than later, and then get a Castle Hetrodyne's worth of time and space travel shenanigans before we approach the grande finale. Maybe what they find on the island will send them to Skifanader via Africa, but it just feels like everything Madwa and those she's connected with are doing has something to do with extraordinary travel of some sort, particularly involving Skifander.
    Yeah, Africa might end up being scrapped for time purposes.

That said, we could have also been halfway to an Africa plotline already, with the "island" being a mysterious place off the coast of Africa, Madwa and co fleeing into Africa, and then going from there. Though that's obviously not possible now.

Beginning to suspect that the Geister area will be the site of the grand finale, with it also being where the Muse of Time shows Agatha how to do time shenanigans and fix the time loop at the beginning.

Unrelated, do you think the rats mentioned by Steelgarter are literal rats or people already on the island?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

25. - Top - End - #475
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Yeah, Africa might end up being scrapped for time purposes.
    I rather hope it is. Not because I don't want more Girl Genius shenanigans, but because I'm always worried with long-running comics that the artist/author will perish or lose interest before finishing the story. We are closing in on 19 years since the comic launched, which is no small sum.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    I rather hope it is. Not because I don't want more Girl Genius shenanigans, but because I'm always worried with long-running comics that the artist/author will perish or lose interest before finishing the story. We are closing in on 19 years since the comic launched, which is no small sum.
    I feel like jumping to Skifander from here and then the Geisters would serve it better, possibly with Africa being an additional story to take place after the fact? "Martellus, Seffie and Gil go to Ethiopia" would be an entertaining story to see after all this is wrapped up.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #477
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

It's a little disorienting to find yourself thinking, "Yes! Dupree to the rescue!"

That just isn't a sentence that should be said with a straight face.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The captain is very insistent on landing here.
    Maybe he just wants to finish the mission his queen gave him? Albia told him go get those people on that island, so he will get them there. Minor problems like obvious traps or there being no landing spot will not stop him.
    Also, he hates cats.

Nah. He's probably working for the other guys.

Unrelated, do you think the rats mentioned by Steelgarter are literal rats or people already on the island?
    Yes.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

29. - Top - End - #479
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

The better question is: Will Krosp end up with an army of rats?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    The better question is: Will Krosp end up with an army of rats?
    Sure, maybe have them all fight from howdahs as part of some rodent-pachyderm cavalry?
    I can see the song they'd get in a future Heterodyne tale: --

There was Winslow the alligator and Higgs-beating geese
    Some Iron Sheik-mechanical camels and some chimpanzees aeroapes
    Some cats with rats on elephants, but sure as you're born
    The fiercest of Agatha's monsters was the (fire-breathing) unicorns

Sorry, 'cats and rats' was all it took to think of this song, and then it snowballed from there.