A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    OK, keeping the old post beneath this and adding the new stuff above:

    Although this is the reason a lot of early archaeologists are regularly cursed by everyone who came after them, it is way faster.

    ***

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It's a bit of a generalization. Writing things down on stone tablets requires actually having writing, which many ancient cultures did not. It's why our understanding of some mythologies is a bit of a mess. Take for example the Norse gods. We know they were around, because we have pictographs carved into stone that show recognizable figures, and you can work out what some of the stories were meant to be from them. However, most of the full stories we know were recorded by Christian monks and missionaries, and were written some time after the original legends had been influenced by by the arrival of Christianity. This means that we're getting the legends through a giant game of telephone - not only did oral tradition change the legends naturally over time, but the more recent tellers were adapting the myths to this new religion sweeping the land and the ones writing it down were filtering through their own non-Norse cultural and religious biases.

    That's why something like a romance novel on clay tablets would be immensely exciting to any archaeologist. You're getting a primary source look into the culture of the time, rather than a history written by the winners centuries after the fact. Some of the most prized archaeological finds are things like shopping lists. One famous example is basically a bad Amazon review. "One out of five stars, merchant cheated me and goods are shoddy. Would not buy again."
    I hear you. The problem with changing stories in the oral tradition is that people rarely notice what they're changing. From what I've read, it was normal for ancient Celts to have their children fostered by another family of equal rank. They didn't need an explanation for Arthur being raised up away from home. Later stories needed a reason for that. From there, Arthur goes from Kay's foster brother to the mistreated orphan. Kay goes from a great hero with mighty powers to the Dudley Dursley of the round table.

    None of that may have come from anyone deciding to change the story, it was just that they made things fit their changing culture and also fit with other types of stories (lowly orphan discounted by everybody is the rightful king).

    So, Norse mythology could have been told by people who thought they were telling them the way they'd always been told and still look absolutely nothing like the original tales, which probably wasn't what was happening.
    Last edited by Ellen; 2021-09-19 at 11:43 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Khajiit thinks there's something familiar about the way the bears talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

  3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    OK, keeping the old post beneath this and adding the new stuff above:

    Although this is the reason a lot of early archaeologists are regularly cursed by everyone who came after them, it is way faster.
    Reminds me of the guy who blew up the ruins of Troy while looking for the ruins of Troy.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  4. - Top - End - #1264
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    I'm thinking Zeetha is looking at a picture of her mother, and realizing that maybe her trip from Skifander to Europa involved time travel shenanigans as well as fever dreams and pirates.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  5. - Top - End - #1265
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    I'm wondering if this area is related to the Witch Queen Lozz, or Queen Sianna (both mentioned by the the early memory they talked to at the Queen's Henge). Or perhaps this is where Albia originally came from, and this is an old library of hers. The fact that there are so many areas devoted to different cultures, and we know that the mirrors need to be attuned to their destinations, it seems too convenient all these cultures are represented somewhere near where a mirror is found.

    Also, didn't we find out that Albia had some sort of regret about teaching the deep magics to one or more people, to the point she even blocked the memory away in her Henge? Maybe this is where it all started for her, and she doesn't remember it herself?

    If I had to guess, I'd say this is related to Witch Queen Lozz or where Albia had her first Ascension.


    As for what is in the room that has freaked out Zeetha...I'm guessing some mythical artifact from ancient history given to whoever owned the place to help attune their mirror. Zeetha takes it and gains a powerup. At some point in the future Gil will also use it or something, which will show he is her brother (I do suspect she knows already, and he may as well, with both hiding that knowledge from each other).
    These sealed rooms may be how the mirror way above them used to attune to different endpoints. The user picks a destination, the 'essence' of the room will be activated and flow into the mirror, causing the destination to be connected to.

    Edit : Idle thought, what are the chances that Queen Sianna is here, having shut everything down and hid after the attack on the Queens? It was said that there was no word from her since the attack....

    Another Edit : Looking back, it does seem like the color of the door energy (especially when it zapped Moonbark) is the same color the statue has running through it and the symbols above the sealed doors are currently glowing. Also, we don't see the face of the statue. What are the chances that is because it has three eyes (i.e. Sianna), and they don't want the reveal to happen just yet?
    Last edited by MDR; 2021-09-20 at 12:01 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    I think Zeetha just found a map with Skifander's location plainly visible.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  7. - Top - End - #1267
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Thinking about queens--

    Up till now, it seemed like there wasn't a good answer to living in a world of sparks. You have temporary islands of stability and a lot of chaos.

    But, queens change the equation. Yes, there are issues with Albia. There are also legitimate questions how a sole survivor of a phenotype existing in isolation in a state of threat represents the type's norm.

    But, what if, however sparks came to be (evolution, mad science, aliens dropping monoliths off on random planets for laughs), queens were supposed to be part of the system? Lucretia has been eliminating the stabilizing element?

    I don't want Agatha to have to become an immortal who rules over lesser beings to have a stable Europa (especially because she's going to outlive Gil and Tarvek and Zeetha and most of her other friends who aren't Jaegers). But, maybe there's an alternative or better balance. Even if not, if bad for Agatha can still equal good for Europa--no more towns getting wiped out by mad sparks and no wastelands ravaged by monsters--I'm for it.

  8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Thinking about queens--

    Up till now, it seemed like there wasn't a good answer to living in a world of sparks. You have temporary islands of stability and a lot of chaos.

    But, queens change the equation. Yes, there are issues with Albia. There are also legitimate questions how a sole survivor of a phenotype existing in isolation in a state of threat represents the type's norm.

    But, what if, however sparks came to be (evolution, mad science, aliens dropping monoliths off on random planets for laughs), queens were supposed to be part of the system? Lucretia has been eliminating the stabilizing element?

    I don't want Agatha to have to become an immortal who rules over lesser beings to have a stable Europa (especially because she's going to outlive Gil and Tarvek and Zeetha and most of her other friends who aren't Jaegers). But, maybe there's an alternative or better balance. Even if not, if bad for Agatha can still equal good for Europa--no more towns getting wiped out by mad sparks and no wastelands ravaged by monsters--I'm for it.
    Im not sure it means they were supposed to exist, but it may be more, they are what makes it possible for stability to exist. They are strong enough to protect what they claim, and over time, your insanity becomes the new normal. Nobody in england has any issue with her taking over at will. The same way nobody in paris ever questioned the master and his control over the city itself. or the way mechanicsburg became an entire town of minions, because their culture adapted over time for the reliable nature of their ruler. Only one of whom was a queen. And one of whom was a succession of heirs who were basically the same as their predecessors in the broad strokes, if not specifics, maintaining the nation of minions to serve the masters.

    That said, your supposition reminded me of a book series, The Black Jewels Trilogy. By Anne Bishop. Its a super dark fantasy series, but the general setup is, just about everyone is magical to some extent. Your power determined by the jewel you wear with black being the strongest, white the weakest. The part that gets interesting is, men and women both can basically be born with certain characteristics that make them a queen, a priestess, a warlord, or a warlord prince. Each area needs a queen to lead it over the long term. The place doesnt fall apart right away if they lack one, but problems arise. These are basically personalities and some inborn gifts and they are all needed, but at the top they NEED a queen. Some bad guys basically are taking out all the queens, leaving the priestesses in charge, and that is throwing the whole system out of whack and causing all sorts of terrible things to happen. Lots of chaos, death, torment, etc. Anyways, I wont go too much further into detail but the general gist is yeah, the world needs all those people working together for stability. No queens, no stability.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  9. - Top - End - #1269
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    geoduck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    I'm wondering if this area is related to the Witch Queen Lozz, or Queen Sianna (both mentioned by the the early memory they talked to at the Queen's Henge). Or perhaps this is where Albia originally came from, and this is an old library of hers. The fact that there are so many areas devoted to different cultures, and we know that the mirrors need to be attuned to their destinations, it seems too convenient all these cultures are represented somewhere near where a mirror is found.
    No. This whole setup is from the society which existed long before the Queens came along, the ones who originally constructed the Mirrors. Interesting to learn that Skifander existed in some form at that time, which presumably means that the place was around/settled before Queen Luheia somehow came to be its ruler.

  10. - Top - End - #1270
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    TeChameleon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    ... huh.

    Y'know, it occurs to me that the very fact that Zeetha isn't cheerfully perving on Gil while he's naked is a pretty strong argument for her already knowing they're related, given that she's never shown the slightest hesitation before or after to enjoying a nice bit of man-candy when it presents itself.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

    At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

    This is...

    The Last Call of Cthulhu

  11. - Top - End - #1271
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    ... huh.

    Y'know, it occurs to me that the very fact that Zeetha isn't cheerfully perving on Gil while he's naked is a pretty strong argument for her already knowing they're related, given that she's never shown the slightest hesitation before or after to enjoying a nice bit of man-candy when it presents itself.
    Yeah, Zeetha does like ogling (but perhaps not ogling Oggie). You do have a point. Maybe Gil has a birthmark similar to one she has, or some such.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    In no way do I disagree, however I also think the 'loves trashy romance novels' schtick is a separate subset of this trait. Agatha has also been known to enjoy the mancandy, but tends not to be as into the novella equivalent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Yeah, Zeetha does like ogling (but perhaps not ogling Oggie). You do have a point. Maybe Gil has a birthmark similar to one she has, or some such.
    It does seem like she knew ahead of time (before he woke up at Mama Gkika's) not to be attracted, so maybe she didn't just figure it out when he said someone like her might try to kill him? Birthmark seems a little too straightforward for the Foglios, but maybe...

  13. - Top - End - #1273
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    geoduck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Zeetha should have figured out what the deal is, but as I may have said before, I suspect she hasn't, and she hasn't perved on Gil simply because there's no attraction. And there's no attraction because when The Reveal finally comes, her having done that would be retroactively creepy. (See all the Luke/Leia incest jokes from Star Wars.)

  14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Zeetha should have figured out what the deal is, but as I may have said before, I suspect she hasn't, and she hasn't perved on Gil simply because there's no attraction. And there's no attraction because when The Reveal finally comes, her having done that would be retroactively creepy. (See all the Luke/Leia incest jokes from Star Wars.)
    That's a good point. Plus of course by then she knew he and Agatha had a 'will they or won't they'-thing going on.

    Honestly, I can't tell if she knows. I wouldn't be surprised if the end result goes either way (either 'I knew it!' or 'huh?!).

  15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    That's a good point. Plus of course by then she knew he and Agatha had a 'will they or won't they'-thing going on.

    Honestly, I can't tell if she knows. I wouldn't be surprised if the end result goes either way (either 'I knew it!' or 'huh?!).
    Wasn't there a scene where Gil told her about a meditation technique or some such his father taught him that sounded suspiciously like a technique from Skifander and she was all like "Reeeaaaally?"
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wasn't there a scene where Gil told her about a meditation technique or some such his father taught him that sounded suspiciously like a technique from Skifander and she was all like "Reeeaaaally?"
    There are like 5 million different reasons why she should at least realize that Gil/the Baron have a Skifander connection. Maybe even that the Baron is Chump. Whether that translates into realizing they are siblings, I don't know. Sillier things than her just not catching on have happened in this comic, and even 'the sane ones' really aren't all completely with it.

  17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wasn't there a scene where Gil told her about a meditation technique or some such his father taught him that sounded suspiciously like a technique from Skifander and she was all like "Reeeaaaally?"
    Yes, indeed. Complete with the emphasis in panel 4 and the smirk in panel 5.

    By the look of the scene (panels 4, 5 and 5) she is actively avoiding admitting anything as well - at least, when Gil starts digging in that direction she rapidly changes the subject.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-09-21 at 12:01 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  18. - Top - End - #1278
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    I'm now leaning toward Zeetha actually knows but isn't saying. Either because she doesn't want to kill Gil, or because she knows that she's equally killable - after all, if twins are bad luck, does that mean that you kill the male? Or the older / younger?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Yes, indeed. Complete with the emphasis in panel 4 and the smirk in panel 5.

    By the look of the scene (panels 4, 5 and 5) she is actively avoiding admitting anything as well - at least, when Gil starts digging in that direction she rapidly changes the subject.
    Ah, that'd be it thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I'm now leaning toward Zeetha actually knows but isn't saying. Either because she doesn't want to kill Gil, or because she knows that she's equally killable - after all, if twins are bad luck, does that mean that you kill the male? Or the older / younger?
    To me it's less "Zeetha knows" and more "Zeetha strongly suspects". It's not like she has any actual evidence.

    Also, she probably loves the idea of being Agatha's sister-in-law.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  20. - Top - End - #1280
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I'm now leaning toward Zeetha actually knows but isn't saying. Either because she doesn't want to kill Gil, or because she knows that she's equally killable - after all, if twins are bad luck, does that mean that you kill the male? Or the older / younger?

    I also believe it is fully possible that Gil has worked things out as well. One of the reasons we had that amusing scene with Gil and Higgs when Higgs was telling Agatha about his history was to show that Gil is very good at working things out, connecting the dots, and hiding that information very well.
    He knows his father used to Adventure, I believe he knows about his father using the mirror and showing up with him as a baby (?), and he should know about his father being familiar with Zeetha's homeland by now. (actually, another point to show that Zeetha knows is she has not grilled Gil on how his father knew her language, has she?)
    The only problem I see with this is that I do not see him keeping it a secret for this long, especially after everything that has happened with his father and Empire. He would have pulled a Luke/Leia discussion to confide in her at some point I think.

    But if it did come down to a fight between the two for whatever reason, I think that Gil is capable of taking out Zeetha. While I believe she is more skilled, it has been shown multiple times that he is also very skilled, and has strength enough to take down Jagers, can take a lot of damage, and had endurance. If she attacked him, she might not win. They are at the least evenly matched, and I would not be surprised if he won in a fight.

    Actually, since it has been pointed out that Klaus has obviously used his knowledge of Jagers on his son for whatever reasons, its possible that taking the version of the jagerdraught that saved her life may have evened the playing field physically between the two. If so, any fight between the two would come down to his smarts versus her skills. It would depend on the actual long term affects of the drink has on her.

  21. - Top - End - #1281
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Ah, that'd be it thanks.

    To me it's less "Zeetha knows" and more "Zeetha strongly suspects". It's not like she has any actual evidence.

    Also, she probably loves the idea of being Agatha's sister-in-law.
    Yup! Plus he would be her only family she has right now :)

  22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    So todays comic. Seriously zeetha? Just gonna grab a mysterious floating object that even you admit is powerful? Hasnt anybody watched indianna jones in this universe?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  23. - Top - End - #1283
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Alright, Zeetha, but what does it do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So todays comic. Seriously zeetha? Just gonna grab a mysterious floating object that even you admit is powerful? Hasnt anybody watched indianna jones in this universe?
    Mummies standing up in three... two... one...
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    It does seem like she knew ahead of time (before he woke up at Mama Gkika's) not to be attracted, so maybe she didn't just figure it out when he said someone like her might try to kill him? Birthmark seems a little too straightforward for the Foglios, but maybe...
    In theory, when she spoke to the Baron outside Sturmhalten, the Baron could have started out with "Stop right there you Skifandrian woman! You clearly are here to kill my son, whose mother was the then-current Queen of Skyfander, and whose twin sister was a green-haired bun when I left twenty years ago! Well, you'd better yeld now, because even my sword, a true Skifandrian artefact, is making angry faces! The sword that is known in all of Skifander as the mark of yours truly, and you can see right here in my hand!"
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  25. - Top - End - #1285
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Let us connect a few dots here.
    Sparkiness runs in families.
    Gil and Klaus are two of the most powerful Sparks known.
    Zeetha, sister of Gil and daughter of Chump, just grabbed an incredibly powerful floating rock with her bare hand. The mate is sitting on her mother's throne, so presumably not dangerous to just be near, but this one is floating, which suggests some sort of Sparky tech is operational.

    Is it time for Zeetha to break through and become a powerful Spark?

    Agree that this is the cue for the mummies to do that voodoo that they do. OTOH, this may be the time that "I am Zeetha, Princess of Skifander, I am entitled to this stone by right of rule" will actually work.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  26. - Top - End - #1286
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So todays comic. Seriously zeetha? Just gonna grab a mysterious floating object that even you admit is powerful? Hasnt anybody watched indianna jones in this universe?
    To be fair, Zeetha probably operates under a clear assumption of "I can punch and/or stab any problem that manifests from my actions until it stops being a problem" unless directly proven otherwise (at which point, to her credit, she adjusts her thinking accordingly - she's confident but not at foolish).

    Also, regarding speculation about her reaction to Gil's "someone who looks like you was sent to kill me," am I the only one who never read that as "Zeetha knows something she's not telling us" and instead as "Zeetha has no earthly idea why that would be, but is now *fascinated* as to why rumors about her killing the Emperor's son have started up", with notes of "Ooooh I'm infamous enough to have regicidal rumors about me? Sweet!" thrown in for good measure.

  27. - Top - End - #1287
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    theangelJean's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Let us connect a few dots here.
    Sparkiness runs in families.
    Gil and Klaus are two of the most powerful Sparks known.
    Zeetha, sister of Gil and daughter of Chump, just grabbed an incredibly powerful floating rock with her bare hand. The mate is sitting on her mother's throne, so presumably not dangerous to just be near, but this one is floating, which suggests some sort of Sparky tech is operational.

    Is it time for Zeetha to break through and become a powerful Spark?

    Agree that this is the cue for the mummies to do that voodoo that they do. OTOH, this may be the time that "I am Zeetha, Princess of Skifander, I am entitled to this stone by right of rule" will actually work.
    I'm thinking this might be one of the power sources Lucrezia was mocking Albia about. Not sure exactly how it fits in with the mirrors and the Queens, maybe Albia took an artifact from each region of the world, made the mirrors and taught the other Queens how to use them, and then sealed the knowledge even from herself so that nobody would realise that she had them?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

  28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scarlet Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by DaFlipp View Post
    To be fair, Zeetha probably operates under a clear assumption of "I can punch and/or stab any problem that manifests from my actions until it stops being a problem" unless directly proven otherwise (at which point, to her credit, she adjusts her thinking accordingly - she's confident but not at foolish).
    Her time with Mr. Higgs should have taught Zeetha the foolishness of that thinking. Also, she just uttered the words: "Sacred Guardians."
    A long surcote of pers upon he hade, / And by his syde he baar a rusty blade. - Chaucer

  29. - Top - End - #1289
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Agree that this is the cue for the mummies to do that voodoo that they do. OTOH, this may be the time that "I am Zeetha, Princess of Skifander, I am entitled to this stone by right of rule" will actually work.
    For some reason I suddenly got a mental image of the sacred guardians doting on her and kind of acting like old grannies towards her.


    Quote Originally Posted by DaFlipp View Post
    Also, regarding speculation about her reaction to Gil's "someone who looks like you was sent to kill me," am I the only one who never read that as "Zeetha knows something she's not telling us" and instead as "Zeetha has no earthly idea why that would be, but is now *fascinated* as to why rumors about her killing the Emperor's son have started up", with notes of "Ooooh I'm infamous enough to have regicidal rumors about me? Sweet!" thrown in for good measure.
    I think a lot of people thought that at the time, as there was not much information about the possibility of them being brother/sister. Over the years and apparently a couple of books, people have started putting things together and looking back at the groundwork that was laid out long ago.
    Who knows, perhaps all the speculation is wrong and that is actually the way it is :)


    Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I'm thinking this might be one of the power sources Lucrezia was mocking Albia about. Not sure exactly how it fits in with the mirrors and the Queens, maybe Albia took an artifact from each region of the world, made the mirrors and taught the other Queens how to use them, and then sealed the knowledge even from herself so that nobody would realise that she had them?
    I'll have to reread the Henge part of the story, but didn't the ancient Albia say that it was the other Queens that taught her how to use them? The Witch Queen Lozz was using them to scare people to secure her power, but Albia pulled an end-run and met the Queens and defeated Lozz. I *think* that is what happened, I only glanced through that section the other day and didn't really read everything.
    Last edited by MDR; 2021-09-22 at 09:14 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    In theory, when she spoke to the Baron outside Sturmhalten, the Baron could have started out with "Stop right there you Skifandrian woman! You clearly are here to kill my son, whose mother was the then-current Queen of Skyfander, and whose twin sister was a green-haired bun when I left twenty years ago! Well, you'd better yeld now, because even my sword, a true Skifandrian artefact, is making angry faces! The sword that is known in all of Skifander as the mark of yours truly, and you can see right here in my hand!"
    Despite characters in fiction loving to make clear that they know something (even when doing so does nothing for them but gives their opponents valuable information), I think the Baron would keep his cards close to his chest there. Even if he can imagine no reason for Zeetha to be there except to kill Gil, letting her know that doesn't help him in any way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Sparkiness runs in families.
    Gil and Klaus are two of the most powerful Sparks known.
    Zeetha, sister of Gil and daughter of Chump, just grabbed an incredibly powerful floating rock with her bare hand. The mate is sitting on her mother's throne, so presumably not dangerous to just be near, but this one is floating, which suggests some sort of Sparky tech is operational.

    Is it time for Zeetha to break through and become a powerful Spark?
    Oh, uh, no please. Zeetha is a wonderfully well-developed character in her own right, making her the (let's say) 7th most powerful spark in the primary plot and having that sub-plot fight for prominence in her allotment of the page count would make her less interesting, in my book.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •