A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    They also remove some, like mortality. A Spark can potentially rule forever. Albia has, and England, despite actively sinking into the sea, is the most stable realm in Europa. Similarly, Voltair ruled Paris for centuries, and it was by all accounts the most stable and prosperous city-state on the continent during that time. Eternal semi-benevolent or at least distracted dictatorship appears to be the nearly ideal state of operation available to Europa, to the point that multiple 'heroic' characters have chastised Gil for being insufficiently imperialist.

    I actually give GirlGenius a lot of credit for recognizing that in a universe where superhumans exist (including not just sparks but many of their creations, you average Jager rivals Captain America in power and durability), you don't get the kind of governments the real world produces.
    To me the GG setting seems to show a pulp version of the enligthened despots of the Enlightenment era. Absolutists rulers who had a knack for actively partecipating in the activities of their artists and thinkers while pushing hard for scientific, military, and administrative advancement, enlarging access to education, introducing new crops, settling undeveloped territories they already owned... In general, following the philosophy of actively using reason to solve problems. However, they also went to war against each other and didn't share power.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  2. - Top - End - #1232
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    To me the GG setting seems to show a pulp version of the enligthened despots of the Enlightenment era. Absolutists rulers who had a knack for actively partecipating in the activities of their artists and thinkers while pushing hard for scientific, military, and administrative advancement, enlarging access to education, introducing new crops, settling undeveloped territories they already owned... In general, following the philosophy of actively using reason to solve problems. However, they also went to war against each other and didn't share power.
    We may be about to see Albia try to expand her realm at the expense of Gil. I do not trust her eternal Majesty.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    We may be about to see Albia try to expand her realm at the expense of Gil. I do not trust her eternal Majesty.
    Im thinking no. She seems more than happy with her kingdom and has had literal centuries to try to expand if she wanted. I think she just wants to claim special people for her "garden" She kind of reminds me of the stories of the Fae where you can find your way to them, make a bargain, and they can be very helpful, but you need to be careful as they is always a catch. "Oh, you forgot to include us letting you leave in your deal." That sort of thing.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  4. - Top - End - #1234
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im thinking no. She seems more than happy with her kingdom and has had literal centuries to try to expand if she wanted. I think she just wants to claim special people for her "garden" She kind of reminds me of the stories of the Fae where you can find your way to them, make a bargain, and they can be very helpful, but you need to be careful as they is always a catch. "Oh, you forgot to include us letting you leave in your deal." That sort of thing.
    When I say I don't trust her, and you compare her to the Fae - well, yeah, the Fae are remarkably not-trustworthy folks.
    But if Albia is looking at Europa and thinking "That's a storm, and it's going to reach England sooner or later", she may view subjecting large parts of Europa to her rule as necessary for the safety of her current realm.

    EDIT: I'm thinking of the idea of "buffer states" / client states more than outright conquest. Make Collette an offer: "You know Gil can't handle the Empire, why don't we at least ensure the Low Countries are stable".
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2021-09-14 at 10:07 AM.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  5. - Top - End - #1235
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    geoduck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    I expect Albia to die before this is all over.

  6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    When I say I don't trust her, and you compare her to the Fae - well, yeah, the Fae are remarkably not-trustworthy folks.
    But if Albia is looking at Europa and thinking "That's a storm, and it's going to reach England sooner or later", she may view subjecting large parts of Europa to her rule as necessary for the safety of her current realm.

    EDIT: I'm thinking of the idea of "buffer states" / client states more than outright conquest. Make Collette an offer: "You know Gil can't handle the Empire, why don't we at least ensure the Low Countries are stable".
    Yeah but there is a difference between not trusting her and not trusting her because you think she intends to take over part of the mainland. Im not saying the idea wont occur to her, im just pointing out that this is hardly the first time europa has been dissolving into chaos and anarchy. Think about the times pre baron, there was every reason to want to establish buffer states and such then too, but she didnt want to. Who knows what happened before during and after the days of the storm king. It may be that there is a reason that in the last thousand years she has done nothing to expand the reach of her kingdom. So while I admit it is a possibility, its not one im particularly thinking is likely.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  7. - Top - End - #1237
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah but there is a difference between not trusting her and not trusting her because you think she intends to take over part of the mainland. Im not saying the idea wont occur to her, im just pointing out that this is hardly the first time europa has been dissolving into chaos and anarchy. Think about the times pre baron, there was every reason to want to establish buffer states and such then too, but she didnt want to. Who knows what happened before during and after the days of the storm king. It may be that there is a reason that in the last thousand years she has done nothing to expand the reach of her kingdom. So while I admit it is a possibility, its not one im particularly thinking is likely.
    She may be tied to her power source in some fashion and while she can adventure with the Shining Company and the like, she can't expand her empire.
    Or maybe her real goal is not land, but tech; specifically, she wants the Mirror in the Red Cathedral.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    She may be tied to her power source in some fashion and while she can adventure with the Shining Company and the like, she can't expand her empire.
    Or maybe her real goal is not land, but tech; specifically, she wants the Mirror in the Red Cathedral.
    Thats possible. Its entirely likely that her power is similar to der kestle or the master of paris. It can only reach so far, so while her people could take over parts of the mainland, she wouldnt be able to exert her all knowing power that far. Of course, this is all speculation and its just as possible she honestly has no interest in expanding her nations borders. I mean, the master had hundreds of years and all he wanted was paris. Maybe immortal rulers lack the sort of drive to expand and grow because they arent like the newly hired manager of a store changing things just to exert authority. They are secure in the power they have and happy with what it brings them. Or uninterested in all the extra work conquering a new nation would entail.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  9. - Top - End - #1239
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thats possible. Its entirely likely that her power is similar to der kestle or the master of paris. It can only reach so far, so while her people could take over parts of the mainland, she wouldnt be able to exert her all knowing power that far. Of course, this is all speculation and its just as possible she honestly has no interest in expanding her nations borders. I mean, the master had hundreds of years and all he wanted was paris. Maybe immortal rulers lack the sort of drive to expand and grow because they arent like the newly hired manager of a store changing things just to exert authority. They are secure in the power they have and happy with what it brings them. Or uninterested in all the extra work conquering a new nation would entail.
    The Master, new and old, didn't run Paris. They are/were Paris. That places limits on how much real estate they can administer. Albia's control of England seems less complete, but her rule over her subjects, stronger. Maybe that's it - the more real estate, the less control. Sort-of like the different between a scalpel and a broadsword.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  10. - Top - End - #1240
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Nice detail about the records on tablets. We know the Sumerians and Minoans used clay tablets to write on and preserve records. This included stories like Gilgamesh.

    And I just realized that Gil's name has been foreshadowing, hasn't it? The culture with the writing we're expecting Zeetha to be able to read may have had records on clay tablets which means they may be connected to the culture in our world that did records on clay tablets which means Gil's name may be a perfectly normal one in his mother's civilization. Am I the only one who took this long to make that connection?

    Would Zeetha know her brother's name? If so, has she just thought of "Gil" the way we would if we met someone named John? A common name you wouldn't think has to belong to some other John? And that's assuming people in Europa haven't been mispronouncing it terribly all this time. Look at all those other versions of John after all--Jean, Juan, Owen, Ivan, Eoin, Johan, and probably a few thousand more.
    Last edited by Ellen; 2021-09-15 at 01:15 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Nice detail about the records on tablets. We know the Sumerians and Minoans used clay tablets to write on and preserve records. This included stories like Gilgamesh.
    Not just these. Literally everybody. Papyrus only grows in one specific place, sheepskin is expensive and paper was complicated to invent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    And I just realized that Gil's name has been foreshadowing, hasn't it? The culture with the writing we're expecting Zeetha
    Neena can read the tablets, not Zeetha.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Would Zeetha know her brother's name?
    I forget, does she know she has a twin?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  12. - Top - End - #1242
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    geoduck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Would Zeetha know her brother's name? If so, has she just thought of "Gil" the way we would if we met someone named John? A common name you wouldn't think has to belong to some other John? And that's assuming people in Europa haven't been mispronouncing it terribly all this time. Look at all those other versions of John after all--Jean, Juan, Owen, Ivan, Eoin, Johan, and probably a few thousand more.
    I'd say it's very unlikely. Klaus chose the name, referring to the original Sumarian hero in the process.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I forget, does she know she has a twin?
    It's never been stated one way or the other. Technically the twins thing is still a Big Reveal that hasn't actually happened in the strip.

  13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    And the first thing Neena picks up is some sort of sordid romance, possibly an incredibly explicit one. She really has the worst luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  14. - Top - End - #1244
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    These tablets, only Neena can read.
    Other tablets back in London only Zeetha could read.
    Evidently tablets come in different languages, shocking everyone. I thought they only came in Android and MacOS.

    Anyway, the idea that the name "Gilgamesh" was chosen by his mother and is a cultural tell is interesting, and does raise the question of why Zeetha didn't say "Wait a minute! Why do you have a Skifandrian name?" It could be one of those names that get passed around between cultures.

    Apropos nothing, the rampaging troops of Pericles sacked most of Sumeria yesterday evening in my Civ 6 game. Gilgamesh doubtless wishes he could challenge Pericles to single combat.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  15. - Top - End - #1245
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    In our world, "Gilgamesh" was successfully transliterated from the cuneiform about 1890 or so. For a couple of decades before that, it was read as "Izdubar". Apparently, Akkadian writing had both Akkadian readings and Sumerian readings, sort of like how Japanese writing often uses both Chinese readings and native Japanese readings.

    That's about the general era of Girl Genius, isn't it? Of course, archaeology in a world of Mad Science is a bit different from ours.

  16. - Top - End - #1246
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    In our world, "Gilgamesh" was successfully transliterated from the cuneiform about 1890 or so. For a couple of decades before that, it was read as "Izdubar". Apparently, Akkadian writing had both Akkadian readings and Sumerian readings, sort of like how Japanese writing often uses both Chinese readings and native Japanese readings.

    That's about the general era of Girl Genius, isn't it? Of course, archaeology in a world of Mad Science is a bit different from ours.
    Gilgamesh was an early Spark, creator of the first Clubbot Clanks.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I forget, does she know she has a twin?
    It's never been stated one way or the other. Technically the twins thing is still a Big Reveal that hasn't actually happened in the strip.
    It isn't directly addressed in-comic, but Zeetha's treatment of Gil frequently looks like sister teasing brother. However specific points that suggest she knows about it are:

    She knows there is a link between Klaus and Skifandar, and the only outsider who should know is Chump, her father. She likley knows the circumstances of Chump's disappearance, and that he took her twin brother with him.

    Someone who looks like you might be out to kill me/Really? Chump knows that the Skifandrans see twins* as unlucky, and Klaus believes that Zeetha, a Skifandrian, may have been sent to kill Gil. So putting those two together, Chump must be Klaus, and therefore Gil is her brother. The last two frames are very much Zeetha working this out.

    I don't think the reverse is true: Gil has no reason to know that he has a sister, and while it is possible that Klaus has guessed that Zeetha is his daughter, he might simply think that she is another Skifandrian. Depends on how common green hair is, I guess.

    * Word of Foglio, not in the comic. All we know in-comic is that Klaus did something Zeetha-related to save his life.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    And the first thing Neena picks up is some sort of sordid romance, possibly an incredibly explicit one. She really has the worst luck.
    I don't know... Zeetha certianly doesn't think so...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scarlet Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    And the first thing Neena picks up is some sort of sordid romance, possibly an incredibly explicit one. She really has the worst luck.
    Before they leave I believe she will pick up Rakethorne...inspired by this explicit scene. For Queen and Country, you know.
    A long surcote of pers upon he hade, / And by his syde he baar a rusty blade. - Chaucer

  19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    She likley knows the circumstances of Chump's disappearance, and that he took her twin brother with him.
    That's what I was asking about. She can't remember her brother, so I was wondering if she knew she had one before she left.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That's what I was asking about. She can't remember her brother, so I was wondering if she knew she had one before she left.
    Not stated in comic to my knowledge (very, very little revealed about her life in Skifander, for that matter), but given her reactions noted above I reckon it's a good bet.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  21. - Top - End - #1251
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Not stated in comic to my knowledge (very, very little revealed about her life in Skifander, for that matter), but given her reactions noted above I reckon it's a good bet.
    I agree- the SHOCK! gleeee! reaction screams recognition.

  22. - Top - End - #1252
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    But then two pages later she's checking out his butt rather appreciatively. Not exactly the response of someone who's recognized their brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.

  23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England. Ish.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    But then two pages later she's checking out his butt rather appreciatively. Not exactly the response of someone who's recognized their brother.
    She looks more like she is being highly amused that Gil hasn't worked out he's naked yet. Literally commenting on it in that frame. And at no other point does she even remotely look like she is eyeing him up.

    If you want appreciative glances, then you need these girls...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-09-15 at 03:24 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    That Gil - Zeetha moment seems to have been replicated here: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20191125 although the reaction is far from enthusiastic and rather evasive.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  25. - Top - End - #1255
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    geoduck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    That Gil - Zeetha moment seems to have been replicated here: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20191125 although the reaction is far from enthusiastic and rather evasive.
    Despite all of this, I'm still totally expecting Zeetha to be as surprised as Gil when the truth is finally revealed. (She really shouldn't be, but I think she will..)

  26. - Top - End - #1256
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Not just these. Literally everybody. Papyrus only grows in one specific place, sheepskin is expensive and paper was complicated to invent.
    Really? Not doubting you, I'd only read about the Sumerians, Babylonians, and Minoans.


    Neena can read the tablets, not Zeetha.
    I was mixed up and thinking about when they had Zeetha doing those translations in England. For some reason, I thought they were expecting to find things here she could translate as well.

  27. - Top - End - #1257
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Really? Not doubting you, I'd only read about the Sumerians, Babylonians, and Minoans.
    It's a bit of a generalization. Writing things down on stone tablets requires actually having writing, which many ancient cultures did not. It's why our understanding of some mythologies is a bit of a mess. Take for example the Norse gods. We know they were around, because we have pictographs carved into stone that show recognizable figures, and you can work out what some of the stories were meant to be from them. However, most of the full stories we know were recorded by Christian monks and missionaries, and were written some time after the original legends had been influenced by by the arrival of Christianity. This means that we're getting the legends through a giant game of telephone - not only did oral tradition change the legends naturally over time, but the more recent tellers were adapting the myths to this new religion sweeping the land and the ones writing it down were filtering through their own non-Norse cultural and religious biases.

    That's why something like a romance novel on clay tablets would be immensely exciting to any archaeologist. You're getting a primary source look into the culture of the time, rather than a history written by the winners centuries after the fact. Some of the most prized archaeological finds are things like shopping lists. One famous example is basically a bad Amazon review. "One out of five stars, merchant cheated me and goods are shoddy. Would not buy again."

  28. - Top - End - #1258
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It's a bit of a generalization. Writing things down on stone tablets requires actually having writing, which many ancient cultures did not. It's why our understanding of some mythologies is a bit of a mess. Take for example the Norse gods. We know they were around, because we have pictographs carved into stone that show recognizable figures, and you can work out what some of the stories were meant to be from them. However, most of the full stories we know were recorded by Christian monks and missionaries, and were written some time after the original legends had been influenced by by the arrival of Christianity.
    That's a bad example, we know the Norsemen of the viking age had a perfectly fine writing system and they used it for lots of stuff. It's just that, infuriatingly enough, they seem to have never written any of their religious beliefs down.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That's a bad example, we know the Norsemen of the viking age had a perfectly fine writing system and they used it for lots of stuff. It's just that, infuriatingly enough, they seem to have never written any of their religious beliefs down.
    I seem to recall that druids didn't write down anything religious, and we know that there were some cultural exchanges between Germanic and Gallic peoples, so maybe it was something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    In our world, "Gilgamesh" was successfully transliterated from the cuneiform about 1890 or so. For a couple of decades before that, it was read as "Izdubar". Apparently, Akkadian writing had both Akkadian readings and Sumerian readings, sort of like how Japanese writing often uses both Chinese readings and native Japanese readings.

    That's about the general era of Girl Genius, isn't it? Of course, archaeology in a world of Mad Science is a bit different from ours.
    Given this world's...knack for bypassing our feeble timeline on inventions, I'd say that since the Epic of Gilgamesh IRL had fragments being translated in the 1870s, proper transliteration of the Epic of Gilgamesh in the GG world likely happened a few years before the Baron was banished.

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Someone who looks like you might be out to kill me/Really? Chump knows that the Skifandrans see twins* as unlucky, and Klaus believes that Zeetha, a Skifandrian, may have been sent to kill Gil. So putting those two together, Chump must be Klaus, and therefore Gil is her brother. The last two frames are very much Zeetha working this out.[/SIZE]
    I read it as Zeetha thinking the Baron might have been responsible for the raid, but looking at it closer I'm inclined to agree with you. Zeetha likely has a strong suspicion, but isn't certain enough to act on it.
    Meanwhile, the Baron likely knows if he's had his spies investigate Zeetha and gotten wind of the "queen's daughter" bit, and Gil almost definitely doesn't know at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    And I just realized that Gil's name has been foreshadowing, hasn't it? The culture with the writing we're expecting Zeetha to be able to read may have had records on clay tablets which means they may be connected to the culture in our world that did records on clay tablets which means Gil's name may be a perfectly normal one in his mother's civilization. Am I the only one who took this long to make that connection?
    While as people have said, clay tablets are very common, it's also worth noting that QueenHunter!Lucrezia was ~5,000 years ago in-comic, meaning it was not long after writing was invented in Sumeria IRL. Albia herself likely does not predate Uruk.
    The ancient Pre-Queen civilization is more of a "forgotten civilization tens of thousands of years ago" vibe, so the ancient language is definitely not Sumer related. If we assume the queens stretch back several thousand years further back, the pre-Queen stuff is probably meant to be "the first sparks", as in a few millennia after modern human brains came into play. What would that be, 90k years ago?

    I, personally, am guessing that Skifander is a pre-Queen civilization that got cut off, then reunited with the other queens by way of the mirror.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-09-18 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Yeah, that pun didn't make sense. Removed.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •