New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    You're trying to apply real-life physics to a Spark-constructed gadget. Not to mention it appears to be anchored in place.
    It does seem to be anchored in place, but even if it wasn't, falling down the cliff while making a bloody racket and potentially landing on the would-be climber would also be a very sparky kind of alarm. There's a lot of dials and whatnot on that thing, I doubt the clapper and megaphone are it's only alarm methods.

As for Madwa, I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't already there, waiting to see how things turned out with the rats. She mustn't have the lamp or everyone would already be dead/captured, it's probably kept in a safe place. Violetta's unlikely to get the drop on her again since Madwa now knows she's not as bad a Knight as was rumored, but I'm willing to bet Agatha's clank is designed specifically to detect Smoke Knights, Madwa in particular, and with Violetta's help it might be quite good at it.
    Last edited by Zazu Yen; 2021-06-28 at 05:16 PM.
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

By the time we need a new thread title "Ooh--I do like a man who's still alive" will be too old. But, gotta say, it's a good one.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Higgs, you are a centuries-old general of an army of posthuman manic badasses, you do not need to act macho to impress anybody.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eh, seems to be something that the Jaegers do instinctively- they even have a name for it, 'rhinohiding'.

And it's always fun to see the characters just bouncing off each other. Violetta seems to have taken note of von Zinzer's Spark-wrangling techniques and is using them to good effect on Higgs, heh.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Eh, seems to be something that the Jaegers do instinctively- they even have a name for it, 'rhinohiding'.
    "Nose-hiding"?
    Forum Wisdom

6. - Top - End - #726
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Higgs, you are a centuries-old general of an army of posthuman manic badasses, you do not need to act macho to impress anybody.
    "Nose-hiding"?
    Zeetha just decapitated 5 ROUS in a single attack. Higgs has to compensate.
    Short for rhinoceros, silly. Get the point?

I'm glad to see the plan allows for being detected on their way in to the Spark base.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

7. - Top - End - #727
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Nose-hiding"?
    Comes from LARPing. It's a reference to players who shrug off what are supposed to be serious hits.

So rhino(ceros)hiding. As in, thick skin.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    By the time we need a new thread title "Ooh--I do like a man who's still alive" will be too old. But, gotta say, it's a good one.
    If you want it in the list, I'll put it in the list.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by sihnfahl
    Comes from LARPing. It's a reference to players who shrug off what are supposed to be serious hits.

So rhino(ceros)hiding. As in, thick skin.
    This term was widespread in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) going back at least to the 80s, so probably predates the LARPing usage.

10. - Top - End - #730

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    If you want it in the list, I'll put it in the list.
    Please!

By the way, has Sephie always been this pale? She's looking a little unhealthy. Or like she might be mutating into something nonhuman (hey, it happens).

11. - Top - End - #731

Please!

By the way, has Sephie always been this pale? She's looking a little unhealthy. Or like she might be mutating into something nonhuman (hey, it happens).
    My memory's a bit fuzzy on the matter, but I could swear I recall mention being made of Sephie being unwell, or some kind of sequence with her doing the non-specific anime cough of death or something to that effect.

12. - Top - End - #732

Please!

Slightly lighter than usual I think, but yes.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Might be make-up. Looking pale has historically been very important to aristos.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #734

She's a redhead who lives in a snowy mountain range. Pale fits.

15. - Top - End - #735

SamuraiGuy

They are looking up because Collette is now 20 feet tall, or 50. Queen achievement - unlocked!

And the next questions are how, and whether it's healthy, and whether or not Agatha will get there any time soon.

EDIT: Thank you to memnarch for reminding us that Xerephinia is not a nice person and not to be trusted. Possibly even more devious than Martellus, but not as devious as Tarvek, who aspires to someday be as devious as Grandma.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2021-07-02 at 07:25 AM.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

16. - Top - End - #736

My memory's a bit fuzzy on the matter, but I could swear I recall mention being made of Sephie being unwell, or some kind of sequence with her doing the non-specific anime cough of death or something to that effect.
    It's never been said she's sick, though she goes without sleep for an extended period while trying to save Tweedle's life, and passes out the instant she succeeds.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Please!
    So noted.

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    It's never been said she's sick, though she goes without sleep for an extended period while trying to save Tweedle's life, and passes out the instant she succeeds.
    She looks a little grey here, but not that much more than normal... If anything, she may be a little darker than her first apperance.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

18. - Top - End - #738

Huh. So an extravagant display of power (consumption) on Colette's part. Also kind of interesting that a flying gate is still famous for flying despite not having done so for somewhere in the range of three generations, although that's probably just the authors not necessarily thinking things all the way through. Either that or both Gil and Tarvek are more into the history of Paris than has been shown so far

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

Also kind of interesting that a flying gate is still famous for flying despite not having done so for somewhere in the range of three generations
    Why wouldn't it be? There hasn't been any gladiatorial fight in the Coliseum for far longer and it is still what it is known for.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

Not to mention that there are various things in the setting that live for a century or more. Normal people with good healthcare, constructs and clanks are all potentially witnesses to the last time it flew and likely still talk about it in a 'things were better in my day' sort of way.

Plus it's a tourist attraction, so there's probably plaques, signs, and tour guides that explain that it used to fly. Maybe even some video recordings of it, the comic has shown holograms and video technology before.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

The Flying Gate may even be its actual name.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Most likely, but being named the Flying Gate wouldn't really be enough to keep it famous for flying during the waning years of the old Master while tour guides, university courses, plaques and grumpy old people would all contribute to it being a tourist attraction and it being known as the Famous Flying Gate as opposed to the kind-of-popular Flying Gate.

Of course 'The Famous Flying Gate of Paris' could be it's proper name and wouldn't even be all that unusual for a monument, but it's a bit wordy and a tad presumptious even by landmark standards.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Troll in the Playground

What I am most wondering about, is where does all that energy comes from or in other words, what kind of improvements has Colette put in place? Or maybe it is just that the old Master was weighted down by his age and could not bring the full potential of the city up?

That being said, I can bet that the flying gate is not just for show - the levitation and lighting might just be a byproduct of some more important function.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, yeah, Colette is powerful....moving on.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

25. - Top - End - #745
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    What I am most wondering about, is where does all that energy comes from or in other words, what kind of improvements has Colette put in place? Or maybe it is just that the old Master was weighted down by his age and could not bring the full potential of the city up?

That being said, I can bet that the flying gate is not just for show - the levitation and lighting might just be a byproduct of some more important function.
    From what i remember, the power doesnt come directly from the person, its the persons ability to channel it that mattered. The city probably has dozens of power plants acting as its version of the dyne for der kestle. The Master was too old to channel such levels of power and had been on the decline for decades shunting more and more of the city off on backup systems rather than directly controlling it all. Im guessing, seeing as collette is young and strong, she has no problem going back to classic paris levels of control and ostentation. Again, kind of like der kestle. Only they had opposite problems, the castle was running out of power to do stuff with, the master was running out of fortitude to channel all that power with. Colette does not have that problem.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    From what i remember, the power doesnt come directly from the person, its the persons ability to channel it that mattered. The city probably has dozens of power plants acting as its version of the dyne for der kestle. The Master was too old to channel such levels of power and had been on the decline for decades shunting more and more of the city off on backup systems rather than directly controlling it all. Im guessing, seeing as collette is young and strong, she has no problem going back to classic paris levels of control and ostentation. Again, kind of like der kestle. Only they had opposite problems, the castle was running out of power to do stuff with, the master was running out of fortitude to channel all that power with. Colette does not have that problem.
    The way I see Paris is that it operates on similar principles as Castle Heterodyne (as was even commented by the Storm King himself), but without the onboard consciousness - there has to be a human operating the whole thing. So yes, you might be right that the bottleneck was that the old Master simply could not handle the whole thing anymore.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

27. - Top - End - #747

SamuraiGuy

Collette is showing off ... but for whom? Perhaps not Gil & Tarvek & Seffie. Since she's cleared the land around Paris for half a kilometer, probably The Other / Polar Lords are the target of her show. But we know that Paris can be approached from below via extensive catacombs. I wonder what her defenses are against that?

28. - Top - End - #748
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Collette is showing off ... but for whom? Perhaps not Gil & Tarvek & Seffie. Since she's cleared the land around Paris for half a kilometer, probably The Other / Polar Lords are the target of her show. But we know that Paris can be approached from below via extensive catacombs. I wonder what her defenses are against that?
    Probably showing off for the world. She is a new and untried master of paris, replacing a literal legend. NOBODY is going to take her seriously unless she demonstrates the raw might and control of her predecessor. This will keep her allies loyal, and her enemies nervous. And hey, catacombs arent a problem if everything important is floating in the sky.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Also the Master's whole deal was that regardless of whatever was going on aroind them, he kept Paris safe. A display of power like that probably helps reassure the Parisians.
    As for the defense of the undergrounds, what do you think the subterranean kingdoms are for? Buffer states.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

They only work as buffer states while communication remains clear and the kingdoms uncompromised though, the old Master seemed unaware of the spread of the Other's allies underground.

Obviously the circumstances are very different now, but they still have the potential to be subverted by enemies of Paris. Not that Colette can do much about that potential though, most actions that would prevent them becoming enemy patsies would violate the sovereignty of the undergrounders, and that would push them into the arms of potential enemies anway.

Who knows, maybe Colette has access to more systems underground than her father did in his old age and as such is more aware of what goes on down there.